OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

as far as i can remember SL never had any supported Driver  for  Kepler Cards correct me when wrong  ,id go for something older like a 9600 if you wanna stick with Snow Leopard   

but for ML your 660 , should be perfectly fine  

Hello all.  New here.  Finally received my board as a kickstarter backer yesterday.  Busy weekend with the family, but blocked out some time to assemble all of my parts and try booting it up.  So far, I've been running into some difficulties.  RIght now, I can't get it to boot up.  Fans are spinning, everything looks good, but I get no video and no beep codes.

Yanking the memory gets me beep codes, but adding a stick puts me back to silence.

I've cleared CMOS, yanked the battery, no luck.

Currently reduced to the following components:

Z77MX-QUO-AOS

i7-3770K

32G Corsair Vengeance CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10

PSU Corsair TX650M

Anything obvious out of alignment here?

Hello all.  New here.  Finally received my board as a kickstarter backer yesterday.  Busy weekend with the family, but blocked out some time to assemble all of my parts and try booting it up.  So far, I've been running into some difficulties.  RIght now, I can't get it to boot up.  Fans are spinning, everything looks good, but I get no video and no beep codes.

I would pull two of the four memory modules. They are paired so leave one in socket #1 and one in socket #2. (If they are not labeled, #1 should be furthest from the CPU next to the ATX power connector. Counting from #1 its 1,3,2,4. #4 being closest to the CPU. So place your memory in #1 and #2.

Can you audibly describe the beeps? Number of beeps and pauses. Maybe upload a recording?

I would pull two of the four memory modules. They are paired so leave one in socket #1 and one in socket #2. (If they are not labeled, #1 should be furthest from the CPU next to the ATX power connector. Counting from #1 its 1,3,2,4. #4 being closest to the CPU. So place your memory in #1 and #2.

Can you audibly describe the beeps? Number of beeps and pauses. Maybe upload a recording?

I've tried starting up with the memory in the 2 furthest slots from the cpu, no beeps.  Swapped for the other pair in the same slots, no beeps.  Here's an audio recording from my phone of the beeps when no memory is inserted.  20-30 short beeps in quick succession, then it'll reboot and do the same all over again.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/si0dgw

I've tried starting up with the memory in the 2 furthest slots from the cpu, no beeps.  Swapped for the other pair in the same slots, no beeps.  

No, they do not go side by side. Please install two modules on the following locations CPU [ ]  [X]  [ ]  [X]  ATX power adapter. See photo below.

In addition, I think it might be something else but lets get the memory in the right place first. Let me know if it does the same thing or if you get a different series of beeps.

In addition, a photos of the motherboard showing everything you see below, especially the ATX 12V in the upper left corner as well as the main motherboard power connector would be helpful.

memory.jpg

I've cleared CMOS, yanked the battery, no luck.

Currently reduced to the following components:

Z77MX-QUO-AOS

i7-3770K

32G Corsair Vengeance CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10

PSU Corsair TX650M

Anything obvious out of alignment here?

Monitor connection? are you getting any post?

Let us know after you connected memory as indicated.

I've tried the memory in this configuration as well.  Still no video/no beep codes.  The only way I've managed to get beep codes is with the memory fully removed.

Here goes, let me know if you need more visual detail on anything.

th_itsjustdave-mainboard.jpg

Thanks so much for your help on this.

EDIT: Monitor is hooked up via onboard DVI connector and I'm not getting any video at all.  No post.

I've tried the memory in this configuration as well.  Still no video/no beep codes.  The only way I've managed to get beep codes is with the memory fully removed.

Here goes, if you need a better shot on anything, met me know.  Let me know if you need more visual detail on anything.

th_itsjustdave-mainboard.jpg

Thanks so much for your help on this.

EDIT: Monitor is hooked up via onboard DVI connector and I'm not getting any video at all.  No post.

The aforementioned memory placement is the correct placement and you appear to have it correct in the photos.

Placing the memory in a different arrangement will likely give you posts.

Continuous posts and restart is usually a power issue. In your case it would appear to be memory.

If you are not getting posts, that is good. It is likely something to do with your video. How are you connected to your monitor?

i don't see a drive connected in that pic.. ?

I believe that the OP is just trying is just trying to get to the UEFI interface.

If you are not getting posts, that is good. It is likely something to do with your video. How are you connected to your monitor?

I believe that the OP is just trying is just trying to get to the UEFI interface.

I edited previous post to include the following: Monitor is hooked up via onboard DVI connector and I'm not getting any video at all.  No post.

I did not see any jumper configuration that would appear to enable the on-board video, so I assumed it was on by default.  Is there something I'm missing?

And yes, I disconnected the drives after running into issues with post/video

ItsJustDave,

With no posts, I would be willing to bet it is a video related issue.

1. Unplug the DVI connector from the monitor
  2. Remove power from the monitor and give it time to drain
  3. Power the monitor up and let it auto cycle through its inputs. After a minute or two most monitors give up and place a "check inputs" or color bars on the screen.
  4. Power the monitor off
  5. Plug the DVI connector in
  6. Power up the monitor
  7. Power up the computer

Else, you are going to have to contact Quo. My board has not come in and so I cant try to replicate your issue.

ItsJustDave,

With no posts, I would be willing to bet it is a video related issue.

1. Unplug the DVI connector from the monitor
  2. Remove power from the monitor and give it time to drain
  3. Power the monitor up and let it auto cycle through its inputs. After a minute or two most monitors give up and place a "check inputs" or color bars on the screen.
  4. Power the monitor off
  5. Plug the DVI connector in
  6. Power up the monitor
  7. Power up the computer

Else, you are going to have to contact Quo. My board has not come in and so I cant try to replicate your issue.

Yeah, none if that improved anything.  Regrettably, this is my first build in over 6 years (Mac Mini and MBP retina since), so I don't have another box to swap parts with to try and isolate anything.  I'm going to drop Quo an e-mail and hope they can help.

Yeah, none if that improved anything.  Regrettably, this is my first build in over 6 years (Mac Mini and MBP retina since), so I don't have another box to swap parts with to try and isolate anything.  I'm going to drop Quo an e-mail and hope they can help.

1. It might be worth your while removing the processor and ensuring all the pins look ok before carefully reinserting it.

2. Ensure that the power header cables are fully pushed in.

3. Try with one memory module only inserted in the slot furthest away from the CPU, if that fails remove and try the other memory module in the same slot.

Good luck...

And wrong again. Just by adding hfsplus.efi you still can't use boot.efi to boot up OS X. That requires some more work. For a start you need at least add support for fat efi files, then write the fsb into the device tree and fix the aptio memory map {censored}. Also a custom smbios is required. Otherwise boot.efi won't even start the kernel. ;)

Oh come on that is silly. I most certainly know what is required, but I replied to a Clover user.

attachicon.gifIMG_0040.JPG

Regrettably, that was the culprit.  There's 4 pins that don't look so good.  I've added an image to this post.

Yikes!

Confirm you have not broken a pin into the socket.

You generally can bend pens back into place. They need to be precisely positioned. You can look into the die from each side to line them up. Take your time and consider not using metal tools. A rigid plastic pick usually does the job. Grounding yourself would be good. Not something to do as you nervously slide your socks on the carpet.

Be very careful as you place it back in. Remember, it does not take any effort to slide into the socket. Dont push.

If you are lucky and you have no broken pins, static discharge or arching from the original install, you may be okay.

• Like 1

Yikes!

Confirm you have not broken a pin into the socket.

You generally can bend pens back into place. They need to be precisely positioned. You can look into the die from each side to line them up. Take your time and consider not using metal tools. A rigid plastic pick usually does the job. Grounding yourself would be good. Not something to do as you nervously slide your socks on the carpet.

Be very careful as you place it back in. Remember, it does not take any effort to slide into the socket. Dont push.

If you are lucky and you have no broken pins, static discharge or arching from the original install, you may be okay.

Or just RMA... 

Or just RMA... 

Yeah, I've gotten in touch with Quo.  I'm bummed that I've got to wait some more, but I'd rather not attempt to rectify this myself.  Thanks so much for all the help.  Slightly ashamed for missing something kinda obvious, but my mind was looking for something specific to the board being incorrectly setup on my end.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've contacted Quo asking for an RMA.  I'm bummed that I've got to wait some more, but I'd rather not attempt to rectify this myself.  Thanks so much for all the help.  Slightly ashamed for missing something kinda obvious, but my mind was looking for something specific to the board being incorrectly setup on my end.

Few people realise how easy it is for the pins to become damaged, and you are correct to RMA, as at least you can specifically advise what the problem is so you do not have to worry about that awful phrase "No fault found".  I only know through experience, I managed to damage a few pins once by over tightening  a CPU cooler. The base bracket managed to put pressure on the underside of the processor socket. That too was an RMA but was sorted without hassle.

Hope you won't have to wait too long. NB good pictures like yours help a lot.

I spent a bunch of hours with the Z77MX-QUO-AOS motherboard this weekend using the Hermitcrab Z77MXQUOAOS.H3A.739M bios and in a multiple operating system environment there seem to be issues. I have Windows 7, Windows 8 as well as OSX 10.8.4 installed on seperate hardrives set up as stand alone drives during the initial installation. With all three drives attached the bios tends to lose track of one of more hard drives, the most common problem I had was waking the computer from sleep in OSX, rebooting and then toggling F12 during reboot to try and select one of the windows drives. his also happened when using Windows and then trying to find the OSX drive on reboot using F12.

Sometimes the drive showed in the boot menu, sometimes not. Booting into setup hard drives would be mssing that were still connected. The drive would be missing from the hard drive priority menu and options boot menu drop down list until shutting the machine down completely and then restarting. Occasionally needing to repeat the shut down process more than once to get teh drive to show back up. A liitle flakey...flashed back to the original bios and went back to chameleon in a fresh OSX install and everything is more or less fine, no missing hard drives same configuration.

The one other issue I am having with either version of the bios is with the two Sata 6gbs connectors. I have three SSDs, one is and OWC Mercury 3GB Sata, one is a Vertex 3 from OCZ and the other is a Patriot Pyro LE, these are all left over from various other configurations and play together no problem on other Z77 and H77 boards.

On the Z77MX-QUO-AOS I can't share the Sata 6GB with two SSDs, one in connector 0 and one in 1. The drive in connector 1 does not get recognized, the drive in connector 0 is fine....I can attach the second SSD to one of the four SATA 3GB connectors and there are no issues...seems like a bios issue. Any suggestions as to why it would be an issue would be appreciated.

Fruitboi, http://www.mediafire...08072013[1].zip

Grab the legacy file there. You will find a script to fix audio in PatchALC892 folder.

Thanks Joe75,

I did find that and will try on the next OS update. 

Can anybody confirm their CPU Multiplier and power management?   I can sleep and wake up fine, the CPU just does not throttle down while idle. The only way I know how to see this is via iStat Menus' Sensor widget

post-213920-0-54258400-1377647307_thumb.png