OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Sad to hear that you're out again. The problem is that most people think a hackintosh is a cheap mac. We all know we could be much further when we would working more together. Best example is thunderbolt only some lines of DSDT code, i found no guide yet, but these people are happy with their Voldemort branded mac.   

Just out of curiosity... how does Thunderbolt work on this board?

Like, does it show up in the system profiler, is it hot pluggable?

I tried it on an asus board and if the disk wasn't connected at boot it wouldn't recognize it.

Lastly how does it handle video through patching with the Thunderbolt Cinema screen?

The latter I only ever got to work with Windows at work but never with the hackintosh.

Again just wondering, it's (thunderbolt) pretty much what the board is all about (for most I assume)

A review of the board what makes it so special from other boards I would very much like.

Apart from what I said at the above maybe some system profiler pics, etc?

The current setups I have are pretty much effortless but I just wonder what can still be gained.

So where is the custom BIOS from HermitCrab labs available?  I should be getting my board via FedEx sometime today and would like to give the custom BIOS a try before I try anything else, specifically anything from He Who Must Not Be Named.  

By the way, I really get a kick out of those Harry Potter references you guys pump out here and there.  The only thing is, wasn't Voldemort the most powerful wizard of all time, apart from Dumbledore of course!

Just look how tunderbolt works on real macs.

I have a mac with thunderbolt at work, hell I even have a hack with thunderbolt.

But so far any hack with thunderbolt has issues;

Sure if you connect a drive/whatever before booting it gets recognized perfectly,

but if you do that after (hot swap) that refuses to work and it just won't see the drive.

This has been reported by many people with hacks.

Also the Thunderbolt Cinema screen only appears to work with the HD4000,

so far I haven't read anything about getting the signal patched through from like a gtx670?

Don't get me wrong, but if this board can't do that, it isn't as revolutionary as you might think it is,

it just has a lot in a smaller package and requires probably less effort.

A discrete GPU will require hardware changes or a special software like on windows. But im sure hot plug will work when injecting the stuff what real macs have in their dsdt and device-properties

So where is the custom BIOS from HermitCrab labs available? I should be getting my board via FedEx sometime today and would like to give the custom BIOS a try before I try anything else, specifically anything from He Who Must Not Be Named.

By the way, I really get a kick out of those Harry Potter references you guys pump out here and there. The only thing is, wasn't Voldemort the most powerful wizard of all time, apart from Dumbledore of course!

Yes with armies of evil beasts and hordes of blind followers.
  • Like 3

Don't get me wrong, but if this board can't do that, it isn't as revolutionary as you might think it is,

it just has a lot in a smaller package and requires probably less effort.

To see how this board is different one can read the specs and compare to other boards.   Advantages for me from a hardware perspective are mATX, onboard Firewire 400 and 800 and Thunderbolt.  Combine that with the ability to flash the HermitCrabLabs firmware and it's a boot and go Hackintosh.  It's the combination of these features that make the board unique.  I like it for the hardware package/capability.  Non Quo Gigabyte Z77 Thunderbolt equipped board availability is starting to become constrained in the channel.  They're getting ready to release Z87 Thunderbolt equipped boards.  Even if you aren't making a Hackintosh it's a nice Z77 board.

Hello all. I've actually have had this board for nearly 2 weeks now. I made a stock installation with H3A firmware and have had no troubles with basic hardware. I'm not however able to boot to the desktop when I attempt to use my graphics card (an EVGA GTX 670 FTW).  I inquired with Quo directly and asked if there were specific BIOs settings that I could try. They told me that everything should work 100% and that they would soon post screenshots of specific BIOS settings in order to use both GFX and onboard graphics.

I've built systems before using Voldemort software (honestly, before perusing this thread I had no idea that there was any sort of controversy) and will no longer use any of their tools. That now leaves me with ZERO knowledge on what to do next. I'd appreciate any sort of helpful and reasonable advice on how to proceed...

Hello all. I've actually have had this board for nearly 2 weeks now. I made a stock installation with H3A firmware and have had no troubles with basic hardware. I'm not however able to boot to the desktop when I attempt to use my graphics card (an EVGA GTX 670 FTW).  I inquired with Quo directly and asked if there were specific BIOs settings that I could try. They told me that everything should work 100% and that they would soon post screenshots of specific BIOS settings in order to use both GFX and onboard graphics.

I've built systems before using Voldemort software (honestly, before perusing this thread I had no idea that there was any sort of controversy) and will no longer use any of their tools. That now leaves me with ZERO knowledge on what to do next. I'd appreciate any sort of helpful and reasonable advice on how to proceed...

I don't know how that board works or what bootloader it uses. but turning off nvidia injection should make OSX to boot into desktop.

digiboy,

Are you running 10.8?

@DislikeYou - I looked through the BIOS and did not find any option to turn off Nvidia injection.

@Lanceomni - I updated after my initial install to 10.8.4, I believe that the USB install stick that I initially used was at 10.8.3

@DislikeYou - I looked through the BIOS and did not find any option to turn off Nvidia injection.

@Lanceomni - I updated after my initial install to 10.8.4, I believe that the USB install stick that I initially used was at 10.8.3

Consider using the boot option/flag

graphicsenabler=no

Also consider previous comment.

From the posts on the KS page it looks like the boards are out in force.  Good for Quo but it was a painful launch.  I suppose it's part of the KS pseudo open hardware movement that in the olden days we weren't involved with when the product was due let alone being able to be in on the ground floor funding.  Seeing "how the sausage is made" has been unpleasant for some.

One thing I noticed is there are a fair number who are looking at Hackintosh only as a way to get a cheap Mac.  No matter how many times people here or elsewhere say it, if you are only looking for a cheap Mac get a Mini.  Hacking requires effort.  Even with an all in one tool (though one could make a pretty good case that in many cases and frequently on more complex builds they can do more harm than good) one is still going to need to know a bit about what's going on to have a fully functioning Mac.

I'm enamored with the boot to flash then the capability of installing straight from the App store download.  Nice work guys.  The Thunderbolt issues are interesting and I'm wondering if Apple is doing something else in hardware for hot swap and the video issues.  Good Thunderbolt info outside of Mac hardware is far and few between right now.  Hopefully in some of the 87 series chipsets coming that integrate TB controllers can help lead to more adoption since the price of a standalone controller will disappear.  Over the next few weeks as the last of the initial orders arrive it will be interesting to see the issues and improvements to the board and firmware.

• Like 1

From the posts on the KS page it looks like the boards are out in force.  Good for Quo but it was a painful launch.  I suppose it's part of the KS pseudo open hardware movement that in the olden days we weren't involved with when the product was due let alone being able to be in on the ground floor funding.  Seeing "how the sausage is made" has been unpleasant for some.

One thing I noticed is there are a fair number who are looking at Hackintosh only as a way to get a cheap Mac.  No matter how many times people here or elsewhere say it, if you are only looking for a cheap Mac get a Mini.  Hacking requires effort.  Even with an all in one tool (though one could make a pretty good case that in many cases and frequently on more complex builds they can do more harm than good) one is still going to need to know a bit about what's going on to have a fully functioning Mac.

I'm enamored with the boot to flash then the capability of installing straight from the App store download.  Nice work guys.  The Thunderbolt issues are interesting and I'm wondering if Apple is doing something else in hardware for hot swap and the video issues.  Good Thunderbolt info outside of Mac hardware is far and few between right now.  Hopefully in some of the 87 series chipsets coming that integrate TB controllers can help lead to more adoption since the price of a standalone controller will disappear.  Over the next few weeks as the last of the initial orders arrive it will be interesting to see the issues and improvements to the board and firmware.

Anyone who is looking for a cheap mac by going down this path is foolish.  Just buying reasonable components has put me pretty near the price of a mini.  I think the point is customization, and one thing that you really can't get from Apple, which is variety of expansion.  Of course, you pay for it in difficulty of configuration, and if you don't get it right, instability.

@Guys that are using Ozmosis based bios for this board.

Does This bootloader have any configuration on this board?

How to access this configuration?

How doo u guys acess Shell from bios?

I have Modded Z77X UD5H with this bootloader and it work perfect but would like to know if there are any options at all..

thx.

Like some other members I was getting impatient with the process and wanting my motherboard. I set up an appointment and visited Quo Computers in Alhambra, CA so I could pick mine up instead of waiting for it to be shipped. It is not an impressive location by any means, no signage or anything, more of an underground vibe (check google maps street view) suitable for the product being sold. It all worked out....I have my board and will install and flash the bios this weekend and can post again then.

Considering you can boot up with nothing but FakeSMC and a bootloader already on pretty much all Gigabyte 7x series boards, what is the big deal here?  The ethernet not requiring one kext?

Custom bootloader that work perfect.

Brainless hackintosh..

Custom bootloader that work perfect.

Brainless hackintosh..

But I do not see anyone saying that the custom bootloader works perfectly.

Going to their FB page I just see dozens of complaints about unshipped orders and not a single link with a thorough review.  Even this thread has no actual testing of the built-in Chameleon and its use in the wild along with any information on what is supported, automated, etc.

But I do not see anyone saying that the custom bootloader works perfectly.

Going to their FB page I just see dozens of complaints about unshipped orders and not a single link with a thorough review.  Even this thread has no actual testing of the built-in Chameleon and its use in the wild along with any information on what is supported, automated, etc.

i am sure this its not chameleon...

It looks like clover to me when i try to hex edit...

Chameleon cannot boot boot.efi

Well I can say that it works perfectly and have said pretty much so previously over on kickstarter.  There are several over there who are using the custom BIOS and nobody has complained about it to my knowledge.  It's pretty freakin' sweet.  This board, once flashed to the custom BIOS that is not shipped or provided by Quo, is totally ready to go.  Pop in your installation media and OS X doesn't give you any problems.  The only thing not working at that point is audio.  Install the motherboard's legacy audio kexts with a couple terminal commands, reboot.  All is working beautifully.  I've done a couple reinstalls and it was just as easy every time.

i am sure this its not chameleon...

It looks like clover to me when i try to hex edit...

Chameleon cannot boot boot.efi

Clover would make a heck of a lot more sense.  

Well, glad that a new development has been started in OSx86.

I hope that they, or someone, will continue to do this with current generation motherboards that would work for workstations and are not obsolete.  Since it is not socket 1150 or 2011 I have to say they are about 1.5 years too late.

In the meantime, guess I will continue to just install Clover, FakeSMC, and use an extra LAN kext to have a working system.