OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

I am not sure what all of the fuss is. I have received prompt responses to all of my inquires.

My questions were with regard to the next run. I was told that 500 more boards are coming; however, these will be for system builders who want to buy 10 at a time.

In addition, I asked about confirmed supported memory. They did not narrow it down to model number. They referenced Corsair XMS and Kingston. Obviously that is not entirely useful; however, it does give me a ballpark on what to purchase. I could easily ask for the exact model. I am sure they would respond.

A purge of senseless posts would do this thread some good. Hopefully this happens before the boards begin to arrive. That way we have a clean slate to discuss our experience.

I was in the same boat as you, Lanceomni, for some time. I didn't understand what people's problems were. I defended Quo quite a bit. That is, until I asked questions that Rashantha or Quo could not, or did not want to, answer. It's at that point that I stopped receiving replies to my emails. I've sent maybe 7-8 total since I first inquired about the board BEFORE it was put on KS. First few questions were pretty general questions and got a quick response. As things progressed, and the project goals were not met, the questions I asked  became more specific and that is when I stopped being satisfied with the lack of response. I finally received an answer to my last email asking about the WiFI board and a SPECIFIC date that the shipping is to start. There are still quite a few unanswered questions regarding major aspects of the board and/or the add-on WiFi/BT card. Maybe YOU are satisfied because you have asked relatively innocuous questions and gotten satisfactory replies. Others do not share your experience or your lower threshold for satisfaction.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been following the kickstarter comments board. It appears that they are actively working to fix bugs. The website includes two UEFI updates.

• Z77MXQUOAOS.F2N dated 7/5/13
  • Z77MXQUOAOS.F3A dated 7/17/13

A crude review of the files indicate that there differences between the files and that they are very similar to Z77MXD3H.F16d available for the likely model that this motherboard was made from.

Jeff Carnell has uploaded a copy of their user 36 page user manual.

There have been several posts on kickstarter that talk about the 1394b header and lack of supplied bracket. One individual said that none exist on the market, which ridiculous because they are readily available.

I have not seen an instance of someone trying the correct header to bracket.

Review of the manual shows the following changes to the UEFI:

1. MIT Miscellaneous Settings subsection added and the following features are listed:
    1. PEG - Gen X Allows you to set the operation mode of the PCI Express slots to Gen 1, Gen 2, or Gen 3. Actual operation mode is subject to the hardware specification of each slot. For example, the PCI Express x1 slots can support up to Gen 2 mode only. Auto lets the BIOS automatically configure this setting. (Default: Auto)
    2. 3DMark01 Boost Allows you to determine whether to enhance some legacy benchmark performance. (Default: Disabled)

Nothing else jumped out at me.

Jeff Carnell's posting of the user manual:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9a4gdjyok89ji35/e_Z77MX-QUO-AOS_1001.pdf

Kickstarter Comments Board:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/quo/projectq-run-any-os-the-unique-motherboard/comments

I think I'll go ahead and get one.  If nothing else for the FW and TB onboard.  Even though it's a bit light on number of slots a hefty audio production rig could be made.  I've got a 1,1 Mac Pro and the form factor is perfect for the case.

Pretty much what I thought too but over all imagine not having to do anuthing but drop in the dvd or usb drive install and youre good to go. I like hackintoshing but every once and while I sure could have use for the "real" thing throughout the years.

Pretty much what I thought too but over all imagine not having to do anuthing but drop in the dvd or usb drive install and youre good to go. I like hackintoshing but every once and while I sure could have use for the "real" thing throughout the years.

Quite simple: buy an iMac or a MacMini. :)

99pi.jpgWhat an experience.  I was lucky enough to have a developer who was involved with the project ship back a near final prototype board...

And in exchange for an honest review I was allowed time with the board.

It's truly the culmination of all things this community stands for AND MORE!

This board with some decent hardware attached to it SMOKES any OS I try to throw at it -- even ones not officially supported.

My review is almost done -- the recent updates on the KS campaign have driven me to move towards completion as interest increases in this board 10 fold.

Oh yeah...

Just wanted to share the Legacy files with you looking forward to this!

• Like 3

I may or may not have already seen a revision of this BIOS, does the GTX660Ti work on this revision (since on H3A.705 it did not) with HDMI audio, any progress on fixing the Messages bug?

I have been following the kickstarter comments board. It appears that they are actively working to fix bugs. The website includes two UEFI updates.

• Z77MXQUOAOS.F2N dated 7/5/13
  • Z77MXQUOAOS.F3A dated 7/17/13

A crude review of the files indicate that there differences between the files and that they are very similar to Z77MXD3H.F16d available for the likely model that this motherboard was made from.

Jeff Carnell has uploaded a copy of their user 36 page user manual.

There have been several posts on kickstarter that talk about the 1394b header and lack of supplied bracket. One individual said that none exist on the market, which ridiculous because they are readily available.

I have not seen an instance of someone trying the correct header to bracket.

Review of the manual shows the following changes to the UEFI:

1. MIT Miscellaneous Settings subsection added and the following features are listed:
    1. PEG - Gen X Allows you to set the operation mode of the PCI Express slots to Gen 1, Gen 2, or Gen 3. Actual operation mode is subject to the hardware specification of each slot. For example, the PCI Express x1 slots can support up to Gen 2 mode only. Auto lets the BIOS automatically configure this setting. (Default: Auto)
    2. 3DMark01 Boost Allows you to determine whether to enhance some legacy benchmark performance. (Default: Disabled)

Nothing else jumped out at me.

Jeff Carnell's posting of the user manual:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9a4gdjyok89ji35/e_Z77MX-QUO-AOS_1001.pdf

Kickstarter Comments Board:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/quo/projectq-run-any-os-the-unique-motherboard/comments

That Jeff Carnell is such a loser

Modbin,

I assumed that a modified UEFI could handle making the board usable with "Any OS". In terms of legality, I would have assumed that QUO would produce the hardware and then the firmware would be released from a separate source. It would have the ability to convince a virgin installer that the hardware was acceptable for OSX.

Do you know who the developers are? HermitCrab Labs, Ozmosis, etc? The site is passed through Tor so that makes it a bit more sketchy to me. Is the source available?

Im not expert on the subject but a UEFI rootkit would be a bad scenario. This is a perfect opportunity to encourage people to flash their motherboard with malicious content.

I may or may not have already seen a revision of this BIOS, does the GTX660Ti work on this revision (since on H3A.705 it did not) with HDMI audio, any progress on fixing the Messages bug?

I may or may not reply to your questions, but here some tips, as far I know all reported bugs are taked into consideration and worked out or work in progress, since you may or may not reported them, doing it again wont get them fixed asap.

Do you know who the developers are? HermitCrab Labs, Ozmosis, etc? The site is passed through Tor so that makes it a bit more sketchy to me. Is the source available?

Im not expert on the subject but a UEFI rootkit would be a bad scenario. This is a perfect opportunity to encourage people to flash their motherboard with malicious content.

What if developers does not want to be known, why you think Tor was used?

I don't want to start an endless discussion about rootkit and such, I would say just that if you already own an idevice you also have at least one 'rootkit' in it and I didn't saw many complaining about that, but is not the case here.

This is a user choice, they are free to do whatever they want and is based on trust, there is no point to scarry people with such things.

Question:

Did you look at the iPad charging issues to allow more power to the USB2 ports?

You can use USB3.0 ports if necessary, those will have enough "juice" to charge any idevice, my android phone charge just fine from USB2.0 ports.