HELP TOPIC - further help in chat.osx86.hu/#legacykernel (IRC)

SL ML AMD APU FX Bulldozer

• Please log in to reply
2042 replies to this topic

Bitcore

Bitcore

AMD Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Producing Music

HD4650 = me
HD4850 = Gilles
HD4890 = You'll be the first :D
but I'm quite sure that this card will also work since it still uses the ATIRadeonX2000 kext as its accelerator

Lets try to get the HD4890 First then ;)
If i can't find one ill buy HD4850 and else HD4650.
We'll see :P

mac_carol

mac_carol

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
4870 & 4890 are power hungry beasts

so they must be supplied by a powerful PSU, 600W-700W pure (80% bronze)

Bitcore

Bitcore

AMD Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Got 500w 80%+ Lets check what ati website says

mac_carol

mac_carol

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
it depends on how many devices attached to your PSU

http://www.extreme.o...culatorlite.jsp
http://www.thermalta...utervision.com/
http://www.coolermas...utervision.com/

iskorini

iskorini

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
FFFUUU!
I do a USB Drive with my friend's mac (GPT) but i don't put inside the usb drive the Fx_kernel and Mac Drive don't read GPT Partition... Any solution except OSX in VM? :D

Bitcore

Bitcore

AMD Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Oke my 500W powersupply should be fine :D
http://www.extreme.o...n.com/PSUEngine used this and added some more usb devices and fans :P
On peak load (every component at 100%) it will need 410 watts.
On normal use (every component at 80%) i will need 320 watts.
So my card is already ordered :D

mac_carol

mac_carol

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Oke my 500W powersupply should be fine :D
http://www.extreme.o...n.com/PSUEngine used this and added some more usb devices and fans :P
On peak load (every component at 100%) it will need 410 watts.
On normal use (every component at 80%) i will need 320 watts.
So my card is already ordered :D

nah!

you must also add 20% (PSU loss) and 10%-30% (safety/spare)

so total wattage should be between 130% - 150% of your power consumption :D miscalculation

410W ---> 533W < your PSU < 615W

320W ---> 416W < ypur PSU < 480W

EDIT:

Sorry for the miscalculation

10%-30% (safety/spare) is supposed to be added to the wattage of PSU which is 120% of your power consumption

so the correct total wattage should be between (110% of 120%) and (130% of 120%) = 132% - 156%

410W ---> 541.2W < your PSU < 639.6W

320W ---> 422.4W < your PSU < 499.2W

Bitcore

Bitcore

AMD Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

nah!

you must also add 20% (PSU loss) and 10%-30% (safety/spare)

so total wattage should be between 130% - 150% of your power consumption

410W ---> 533W < your PSU < 615W

320W ---> 416W < ypur PSU < 480W

the numbers i gave you were including 50 spare watts
So 410/100*120 = 492 :D
on full load

Look what i just found! http://www.osx86.net...ion_10.8.2.html
"there's QE_CI Exotic patch for the final public Mountain Lion 10.8.2 ! It's ONLY for ATI HD 48xx series cards !!!"
Aw yeaah

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,805 posts

oke so :
The only thing i want is 1920 x 1080 resolution, and as less distortion as possible.
I dont need heavy gaming or anything. Only thing i would also like is HDMI output
What do you recommend?

HD4650
HD4850
HD4890
HD5450
HD5770

I recommend, based on Carol's posts, you go 4xxx. Both the 5450 and the 5770 will work, but the later requires a lot of work. The former, the 5450, requires only the device ID being added to two kexts, and will work smoothly, with almost no distortion (on pair with 4xxx series cards, see Gilles' and my own tests in the Mountain Lion testing topic) with all ports working. HDMI audio won't work, so keep that in mind. I only recommend the 5450 if price is your concern and you also have Windows and need a DX11 card.

All the best.

FFFUUU!
I do a USB Drive with my friend's mac (GPT) but i don't put inside the usb drive the Fx_kernel and Mac Drive don't read GPT Partition... Any solution except OSX in VM? :D

Are you sure mac drive doesn't read GPT?

mac_carol

mac_carol

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
@Bitcore

I think the 550W PSU is the min. req. for your system to run the HD4890
but if you still insist to run it with 500W PSU then I can only say: TRY IT AT YOUR OWN RISK !!! :D

@theconnactic

about HDMI audio,

have you tried to remap both video path (based on bcc9's guide) and audio path (based on THe KiNG's guide) ?

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,805 posts
Yes, i did. And my DSDT is technically well prepared for HDMI audio. Yet, even VoodooHDA fails to enable it, and further research has shown me this is apparently an issue for all HD5450 users under OSX. If i make it, i'll probably be one of the very first. AppleHDA, though, is a work in progress. ATI chipset: very tough to get working. :)

All the best!

iskorini

iskorini

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

I recommend, based on Carol's posts, you go 4xxx. Both the 5450 and the 5770 will work, but the later requires a lot of work. The former, the 5450, requires only the device ID being added to two kexts, and will work smoothly, with almost no distortion (on pair with 4xxx series cards, see Gilles' and my own tests in the Mountain Lion testing topic) with all ports working. HDMI audio won't work, so keep that in mind. I only recommend the 5450 if price is your concern and you also have Windows and need a DX11 card.

All the best.

Are you sure mac drive doesn't read GPT?

Yep :(

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,805 posts
Thus i'm afraid VBox or VMware are the last available resources.

Bitcore

Bitcore

AMD Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

All the best.

I also have windows but dx10.1 is good for me, since i dont game anymore.
Yeah i saw it! Gills got 40FPS on cinebench! :D

@Bitcore

I think the 550W PSU is the min. req. for your system to run the HD4890
but if you still insist to run it with 500W PSU then I can only say: TRY IT AT YOUR OWN RISK !!! :D

Thanks for your cares :)
No not at my risk! At XFX's risk!
"This card requires both a 6-pin and an 8-pin connector. A 500W or larger power supply with one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCIe is recommended by XFX. If you want to run CrossFire, a power supply of at least 600W is suggested with two 6-pin connectors and two 8-pin connectors."

iskorini

iskorini

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Thus i'm afraid VBox or VMware are the last available resources.

Linux?
EDIT: With Ubuntu I put fx_kernel in the usb drive, but don't boot, it start directly the SSD.

Divin3

Divin3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi!

I have tried at least 6-8 different OS X distros on my PC in virtualbox with not too much luck.
When I was starting to give up I finally managed to install and run a 10.5.6 Leopard,
(which doesen't look very stable: I got kernel panic when I tried to shut it down).
But it RUNS! And this gave me hope!

My goal is to find the latest version possible that runs on my pc, get it running on virtualbox (for testing), than install it on my PC with dual boot!

I dont know much about the OS X platform, only some basics.
I have been reading a lot about it in the past two weaks but there are still many things for me to learn.

So I have two questions:
1) What distro should I use that would work?
2) What kext files should I install to have at least the basic drivers working (like USB, Sound, etc.)

If you have any ideas that I could try, please let me know and I will do my best to make it run and test it.

my computer specs are:

AMD A10-5800k (FM2 chipset)
F2A85-M motherboard
Asus radeon 6770 video card
Kit Dual Channel Kingston 8GB (2 x 4096MB), DDR3, 2133MHz

asd3.jpg asd2.jpg asd1.jpg

motherboard: http://ca.asus.com/e...#specifications
processor: http://www.cpu-world... A10-5800K.html
video card: http://www.asus.com/...#specifications

Sorry for the long post, and thank you for your help!

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,805 posts
Buy Mountain Lion, Lion or Snow Leopard, use the VM you have with Leopard to make the installer, then ask help here when and if you get stuck.

All the best!

zebaszp

zebaszp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Ok, I did a combo upgrade, and everything seems fine. I do have a minor complaint, though: my machine refuses to connect to iCloud. Surely this can be fixed, but how? It did that before the update, too.
Also, if someone knows of a kext that works with my onboard chip (Radeon 3000), that would be swell. It's one of those chips considered "legacy" by AMD (like the rest of the 3xxx and 4xxx series). I don't need that, but, you know...QE/CI sounds like a lot of fun :P

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,805 posts

Also, if someone knows of a kext that works with my onboard chip (Radeon 3000),

I don't mean to be harsh, but as i already told you, there's not and there will never ever be. Sorry, man, but it's impossible to modify proprietary kexts more than a very limited extent, and to write one from scratch is a task that even software companies with much more resources and qualified personnel than any hackintosh community failed to accomplish. Again, and will be the third time i'll say that (meaning next time i'll remorseless delete the post :P) buy a cheap ATI 4xxx card and be happy.

About iCloud, there's a workaround for it: search for the correspondent topic here in the AMD development section. But it's no easy feat, and you'll need to use a friend's Mac or Intel vanilla hack to do it.

Glad to read things are going well with your hack! Enjoy!

All the best!

mac_carol

mac_carol

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Yes, i did. And my DSDT is technically well prepared for HDMI audio. Yet, even VoodooHDA fails to enable it, and further research has shown me this is apparently an issue for all HD5450 users under OSX. If i make it, i'll probably be one of the very first. AppleHDA, though, is a work in progress. ATI chipset: very tough to get working. :)

All the best!

Just for my curiosity,
could you tell me the output of ioreg | grep ATY
and also send me the rom bios file of your vga ?

buy a cheap ATI 4xxx card and be happy.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SL, ML, AMD, APU, FX, Bulldozer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy