Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

@tluck:

Good news about update! Will do that.

The card arrived (I ordered a little bit more expensive "black" abgn version), installed, works!

Now I realized that T420 has full multi-touch trackpad, and only two-fingers touch and scroll works for me.

But all proofs I could see (like this YouTube video, pointing back to our forum) show it's not Yosemite there... looks like full compatibility is only supported for earlier versions?

Or multi-finger gestures work for you in 10.1?

Thanks,

me

@OneMore -  i can do 3 finger multigestures with the Safari browser - for example I mapped to left/right swipes to back and forward - i put that in the VoodooPS2 kext in the zip. the multigesture support is not as "universal" as on a mac. meaning the mappings may not work everywhere.

so anyway, put 3 fingers arranged so the tips are sort of vertically aligned and then swipe left to right (back) or right to left (forward)

from rehabman --  so i remapped the left and right swipe - but up and down can be mapped to actions using keyboard prefs - i think these are still correct for up/down:

• Swipe Up, Down, Left, Right are now assigned by default to the following keyboard combinations: Control+Command+UpArrow, Control+Command+DownArrow, Control+Command+LeftArrow, Control+Command+RightArrow. This should work better with international keyboards. You will need to use System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts to adjust to assign these keys to your desired actions. If you were using three finger swipe left and right for back/forward in your web browser, you will need to reconfigure these actions via the Info.plist or use a program like KeyRemap4MacBook to remap the keys generated to the keys used by your browser for forward/back (that's what I plan to do).

@nhoc_maruko9x - no, i never have. not sure the bios supports it.... the table below seems to be the choices. so for 1600x900 (16:9) - the closest ratio is 960x600 (16:10)

option                 X     Y  Ratio

80x25              640 480 4:3

96x25              768 480 16:10

120x31            960 600 16:10

128x40          1024 768 4:3

100x31            800 600 4:3

@OneMore -  i can do 3 finger multigestures with the Safari browser - for example I mapped to left/right swipes to back and forward - i put that in the VoodooPS2 kext in the zip. the multigesture support is not as "universal" as on a mac. meaning the mappings may not work everywhere.

so anyway, put 3 fingers arranged so the tips are sort of vertically aligned and then swipe left to right (back) or right to left (forward)

from rehabman --  so i remapped the left and right swipe - but up and down can be mapped to actions using keyboard prefs - i think these are still correct for up/down:

• Swipe Up, Down, Left, Right are now assigned by default to the following keyboard combinations: Control+Command+UpArrow, Control+Command+DownArrow, Control+Command+LeftArrow, Control+Command+RightArrow. This should work better with international keyboards. You will need to use System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts to adjust to assign these keys to your desired actions. If you were using three finger swipe left and right for back/forward in your web browser, you will need to reconfigure these actions via the Info.plist or use a program like KeyRemap4MacBook to remap the keys generated to the keys used by your browser for forward/back (that's what I plan to do).

Where exactly is that info.plist file? I just want to use the generic OS X gestures (swipe left/right to switch desktops, swipe up to show mission control, etc).

@Ezhik

the Info.plist is here:

/System/Library/Extensions/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext/Contents

for wifi, i got an Atheros chip that was plug and play and very inexpensive. I got an AR9280 AR5BHB92 half size mini PCI-E card. With a modified BIOS (no whitelist), it worked out of the box.

@nhoc_maruko9x - no, i never have. not sure the bios supports it.... the table below seems to be the choices. so for 1600x900 (16:9) - the closest ratio is 960x600 (16:10)

option                 X     Y  Ratio

80x25              640 480 4:3

96x25              768 480 16:10

120x31            960 600 16:10

128x40          1024 768 4:3

100x31            800 600 4:3

I noticed that when I boot with the discrete graphics on, I get the boot menu in native resolution, however I get stuck on "NVDAStartup: Official" when actually booting into OSX.

Also, I seem to lose TrackPoint's middle button scrolling functionality when I disable the trackpad in BIOS. Is there anything that can be done about this? I really prefer the TrackPoint.

@OneMore - if your LCD goes dim after boot up - did you try to brighten by SrlLck/Pause - F14/F15.  it may have gotten low setting somehow?

however, with ACPIBackight kext installed you may have trouble booting with LCD closed - for me it remains dark unless i boot with lid open. remove this kext if this how you prefer to boot.

Can you install ACPIBacklight debug and test the problem?

And report this to https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Backlight too.

Thanks!

This is a great guide, and the kexts/EFI/DSDT/SSDT work wonderfully. I tried with 10.9.5 and 10.10.1 and everything is polished and working except the headphone jack bug where sometimes the audio devices fail to switch. Any idea what causes it?

Also, what WiFi card would you recommend for this thing?

Personally, I used a Dell DW1510, based on a popular Broadcom chipset. It works out of the box in Mavericks/Yosemite without any extra kexts.

@Boctor - no idea why the audio jack sometimes needs be plugged and replugged to work.

@Tetonne - i have upgraded to 10.10.2 from 10.10.1. very easily as well. just downloaded and go!

However, i did notice there is a powerd message every 30 seconds in /var/log/system.log with 10.10.2

not sure what to do about it yet. could be new feature or bug with powerd?

for the time being, I just replaced /System/Library/Coreservices/powerd.bundle with the 10.10.1 version to stop the log messages.

However, i did notice there is a powerd message every 30 seconds in /var/log/system.log with 10.10.2

for the time being, I just replaced /System/Library/Coreservices/powerd.bundle with the 10.10.1 version to stop the log messages.

I have not that issue here

I just install 10.10.2 update and have no issues so far.

@Boctor - no idea why the audio jack sometimes needs be plugged and replugged to work.

@Tetonne - i have upgraded to 10.10.2 from 10.10.1. very easily as well. just downloaded and go!

I also had that message about powerd. I did what tluck did and the message is gone.  

@superkwn - what is the value that it reports? is the same 0xe00002f0? this maybe a clue as how to fix this? i checked the powerd binary and the old version does not seem to have a check for this. 

After almost 500 downloads in the last month or so (there is quite a number of Lenovo users out there!) I thought perhaps it was time to post a more recent bundle. 

Clover UEFI on T420 Guide

Feedback encourages and welcome of course. This has very minor changes since the last bundle.

Note: I still have not figured out anything on the powerd message on 10.10.2 - other than the workaround to revert to older version. It seems benign other than cluttering the log file. At least 1 HP user is seeing a similar thing so we are not alone!

Over the last few days, I began testing a new ethernet driver by Mieze - so far so good. It has TSO support. So when that becomes a bit more hardened etc, I expect that to replace the older but stable 2.4.14 driver. 

04-February-2015 Update

• Updated to Clover r3158 - compiled to remove text before GUI
  • Recompiled ACPIBatteryManager.kext
  • Added universal time registry fix for dual boot with Windows for consistent time.
  • Tweaked _kext_install script to fix/recreate symbolic links for custom kexts.
  • Like 2

After almost 500 downloads in the last month or so (there is quite a number of Lenovo users out there!) I thought perhaps it was time to post a more recent bundle. 

Clover UEFI on T420 Guide

Feedback encourages and welcome of course. This has very minor changes since the last bundle.

Note: I still have not figured out anything on the powerd message on 10.10.2 - other than the workaround to revert to older version. It seems benign other than cluttering the log file. At least 1 HP user is seeing a similar thing so we are not alone!

I have noted having to have the ACID key for mobile platform in FakeSMC to kozlek back in 2013, he had it there for quite some time but then somehow lost it with refactoring. It's an SMC key that defines AC adapter info, which is what the powerd is trying to read. 

#define kACIDBit 44 // size 12
#define kACPowerBit 36 // size 8
#define kACRevisionBit 32 // size 4
#define kACSerialBit 8 // size 24
#define kACFamilyBit 0 // size 8

valFamily = (acBits >> kACFamilyBit) & 0xFF;
valSerial = (acBits >> kACSerialBit) & 0xFFFFFF;
valRevision = (acBits >> kACRevisionBit) & 0xF;
valPower = (acBits >> kACPowerBit) & 0xFF;
valID = (acBits >> kACIDBit) & 0xFFF;

Pull one from some relevant Macbook model and the spam will be gone. You also should be seeing this (or similar) on Power section of System Info:

3c8b13a3af.png

I here for some reason get gfx artifacts as if I hadn't any fixes like displayoverride, slide=0. Any tips on this?

@TimeWalker - good to hear from you! i hope all is well with you.

well that fixed the repeating powerd messages. can't thank you enough.

to be clear, i added SMC key ACID - copied the value from my MacBook Pro and i get this 1 time on startup - but then no more! (running 10.10.3 beta). 

Feb  8 20:04:38 localhost powerd[29]: Failed to read current rating(0xe00002f0)

Feb  8 20:04:39 localhost powerd[29]: Activity changes from 0xffff to 0x0. Assertions:1 HidState:0

now my AC looks like this in the system info  - without ACID key,  I just had 2 values: Connected and Charging. 

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes

ID: 0x0100

Wattage (W): 85

Revision: 0x0000

Family: 0x00ba

Serial Number: 0x0035c3de

Charging: No

----

GFX artifacts? you mean they just starting showing up in Yosemite? I wish I had some tips (other than a futzing with EDID values) - i have not seem any gfx glitches in a long time (except when i omitted slide=0 by mistake). what is your display resolution? perhaps some other EDID may work better? 

I have swapped my 8 GB of 1333 ram with 4 GB of 1600 RAM from my MacBook to my Dell. Ever since I changed the ram to 4 GB I get random horizontal screen tearing with the lines appearing and flickering all across the screen. I have had slide=0 and EDID override for my 14" 1366x768 panel forever, but it's not cutting it anymore for some reason with 10.10.3. Might have to look at your tips for panel size adjustments.

I used to rely on the assumption of having horizontal sync offset = 48 and horizontal sync pulse width = 32 cure the artifacts, but it doesn't seem to help anymore. I was also playing with pixel clock back in the day an it helped resolve the artifacting for good. Having read your suggestion to alter panel size to 310x174, from default 16:9 format of 309x174 doesn't really change anything for me currently, random horizontal lines still persists. I feel violated :S 

@TimeWalker - what is your vertical frequency? somewhere i recall should be as close to  60.00 as possible. 

i had issues with the embedded EDID - the basic params where just broken. the picture shows the EDID i have been using. i realize its for 1600x900. 

the key fix was on line 20 - basic params

- works      80 1F 11 78 EA 

embedded 90 1F 11 78 02

- the 90 was messed up?

post-954945-0-46483600-1423502367_thumb.png