Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

OOOOOO!!!!

That was the technological 0r8a$m, may I say so.

Now we are moving. Is it normal to see a bunch of errors in the verbose output?

Some files under Library cannot be found... cannot connect to Bluetooth transport... (I left BT enabled, the light is on).

The installation is progressing so far...

But this protection/execution bit is quite confusing. I totally believed in the opposite meaning, and would suspect anything but this one piece, probably even my original installer would work...

Maybe it worth noting this deceptive language in the guide? Or it is just me so capable of misunderstanding?

I'll follow up with the rest of your Guide, a gut feeling tells me it's not the last time I am yelling for help here...

Thanks!!!

Me.

Edited by OneMore

@tluck

Thank you!
I deleted the NTSF partition made by Disk Utility and let the windows installer do the formating (which also created another efi partition, disk0s4...).

So that worked and I could install Windows 7 on my prefered partition.
But the repair from the install dvd does not work. I tried bcdboot (bcdboot c:\windows /s s:) from command line after assigning letter S to efi partition, but I always get a [c000003a]-error, I tried that with the different efi's. Also I could not add /f uefi to the command as described in this thread, there is a /m possibility, I tried that but no effect.

Any ideas what to do?

Thanks, juniorprofi

post-1140080-0-88947200-1420560622_thumb.jpg

post-1140080-0-76850200-1420560624_thumb.jpg

post-1140080-0-30637700-1420560626_thumb.jpg

post-1140080-0-62664200-1420560629_thumb.jpg

@oneMore -

yes its normal to see some output like that during installation. some custom kexts won't be available until you install them on HD in the /System/Library/Extensions folder later in the post install section.

sorry about lack of clarity in the guide. i often tweak the guide based on feedback etc. I changed the description of the BIOS section to be more obvious IMO

BIOS settings:

- Recommend update to BIOS v1.46

- Recommend reset to defaults. Most defaults settings will work but check settings these:

Set Config / Serial ATA (SATA) / SATA = AHCI 

Set Security / Memory Protection / Execution Prevention = Enabled

- Disable Discrete Nvidia/Optimus (use integrated HD 3000 only - unless you really know what you are doing!)

@juniorprofi - 

woa! it has 2 EFI partition - thats not going to work. you probably need to change partition 4 to something else. (or remove it).

otherwise things look ok.

GUID

PMBR

EFI

so yeah you may need to edit the bcd directly. if the auto repair does work after this.

once you remove the 2nd EFI then boot with the windows repair. 

use the command line enter diskpart

you should be able to assign a letter to EFI and C partition if not already mounted

say F: is the EFI 

the bootmgr points to stuff in F: (EFI)

and the default points to stuff in C: (Win partition)

F:

cd \EFI\microsoft\boot

bcdedit /enum

bcdedit /set default osdevice partition=C:

bcdedit /set default device partition=C:

bcdedit /enum

reference this page: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766223(v=ws.10).aspx

---------

i may need to find some time to write up a guide chapter on how convert a hackintosh to run windows!!! ha! 

@tluck

unfortunately no progress.

I changed the second EFI in a microsoft basic data partition, assigned the EFI a letter and proceded like you adviced. But the "bcdedit /enum" command isn't working. It tells me it can't access the memory because their are two similar places (sort of, it's in german...). I also tried bcdedit /set, but always get the same message.

I have another EFI partition on my SSD, could that cause the confusion?

@juniorprofi.

hmm. i just tried it myself. is there a bcd file in /EFI/Microsoft/Boot for it to fix?

started my windows installer

went into repair

it searched for windows installations. 

skipped dialog go into the tools.

from the dos command:

diskpart

list volume

<look for EFI volume - it was on 2>

select volume 2

assign letter=U

exit

from command line:

U:

cd /EFI/Microsoft/Boot

dir bcd* 

bcdedit /store bcd /set {default} description "Windows 7 Enterprise"
bcdedit /store bcd /set {default} osdevice "partition=C:"
bcdedit /store bcd /set {default} device "partition=C:"

bcdedit /store bcd /enum

output looks like:

Windows Boot Manager

--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=U:
path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {default}
resumeobject {01c2e776-a70b-11e2-8007-aa25a9b6ad4b}
displayorder {default}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {default}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.efi
description Windows 7 Enterprise
locale en-US
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {654bb750-7e4d-11e4-b653-806e6f6e6963}

@tluck

yes, there is a bcd in /efi/microsoft/boot but it appears to be empty (just 8kb big).

When I do "dir bcd*" it tells me there's one 1 file with 0 directories.

So I tried with the bcd from the install dvd and to make a new one like described here:

http://windowsitpro.com/systems-management/build-bootable-bcd-scratch-bcdedit

But at some point I always get the same (or a pretty similar) error message:

"the memory for the start configuration files could not be opened. The requested system device can not be identified because several indistinguishable devices potentially match the identification criteria" (translated from german)

Maybe something has gone wrong during Windows 7 install?

@juniorprofi -  hmm its coming back to me. but i have a suspicion that windows put conflicting boot stuff on the reserve partition. i know you can remove it and boot from EFI -  my 2 systems don't have one! 

if you need a template bcd file - use this one as the Installer is very different

BCD.zip

@tluck

Thanks again!!!

I went through all levels, it boots from local hard drive now, and sound (internal + headset, mic, vol control, mute, etc), wired networking works, hibernate, brightness, keyboard light keys respond as expected, external VGA works as extended desktop.

Haven't tested external HDMI, nothing to test with... shall I expect it to work?

If yes, I will buy a HDMI cable to hook a monitor input.

Three minor glitches, not sure if I missed something, or this is final:

* Does the wired network show as Ethernet for you, or something else? Mine shows as "Bluetooth PAN" and it is the first in the list. Ethernet shows as having cable connected, but unable to get IP address. Network connectivity works, though - through wired Ethernet. I cleared that local NetworkInterfaces.plist - still the same. No big deal, just curious if you saw the same.

* Does web camera work for you? Not detected by Facetime for me.

* Does SD reader work? Mine seems to be ignored.

As laptop reports 3 hours battery life to OSX, I got tempted to replace internal WiFi, and go mobile.

My old HP laptop has some Atheros based WiFi card, or I may consider buying what you got installed....

Would you be so kind to share a copy of modded 1.46 BIOS, or provide a working link?

One last thing... How can I temporarily make external VGA (or HDMI) as the only monitor with its native resolution? If I power on the laptop with lid closed, and USB keyboard/mouse connected, I still get a secondary display... does it depend on any setting in BIOS, or way to boot?

Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!

Me.

Reset network settings by removing all network in system pref > network, then go to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and delete these files/folders:

• CaptiveNetworkSupport
  • Com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
  • Com.apple.eapolclient.configuration.plist
  • NetworkInterfaces.plist

Restart and add networks again.

@pokenguyen

Thanks for other three filenames. Actually, I poked around before I saw your message, and did approximately the same - removed BluetoothPAN service from network control applet, disabled another one (apparently modem), rearranged order - which didn't help, too. So I removed Ethernet from this list, deleted just NetworkInterfaces.plist, restarted the system with clean cache option (just for the sake of sanity), re-ran kext install and added Ethernet manually. Now the connection is back, and assigned to Ethernet, which is the first in this list, as it needs to be.

Another question...

Did any T420 owner here make any internal Wi-Fi card working, and if yes, what's is that card?

I have an aging Compaq HP 2710p (tablet convertible) hooked to wires, so exploring the possibility of taking its Wi-Fi card (Intel 4965AGN) if anyone had success to make it work with Yosemite (basing on this link, some Intel driver development work was going in this forum).

Otherwise will buy internal or nanoUSB module depend on what is known to work better...

Thanks,

Me

@OneMore

Yes DP/HDMI works - on the side or from a Dock.

No - SD card reader will not work.

i too replaced my wifi with the same AR9280 aka AR5BHB92 for $7.

my 4236AT9 does not have a built-in webcam. so i use USB. 

Note: iMessage/FaceTime stopped working for me in the last - as i was using a cloned MLB/ROM and apple figured that out.

@Unbehagen, @tluck:

Wow, that's an elegant solution!

So, how can I get a copy of a modded 1.46 BIOS? I didn't find attachment here, and the link in modders' forum points to removed file.

Or it is something that is not supposed to be addressed in this forum due to possible persecution?

On another side:

I want this system to ignore (at least, temporary) the closed lid, and instead of going to standby just use external output (say, VGA) only. Is it something in the hidden settings, or needs patching kexts/tables/etc ?

Thx

Me

@OneMore -

with an external monitor attached via DP or DVI, the laptop can be closed. VGA i guess not.  

here is a modded bios file i used. 

Note: on my atheros wifi, i found a windows tool to change the region to get rid of some system.log errors.

@tluck - Thanks again! Dl'd your file, flashed w/o issues, ordering card now...

But you may want to know that Norton Safety (DNS level protection) considers this Google Doc/Drive hosted file as dangerous and blocks a dowload with little to no explanation - that's FYI.

I confirm that laptop indeed doesn't go to sleep with DP attached monitor (I was mistaken to think it's HDMI port) - kudos to you! Plugged to KVM switch now.

And one more minor issue: external USB keyboard/mouse is unable to wake up the system if went to sleep by default timeout, I have to open the lid for that.

No big trouble (just disabled system sleep for AC), but is this an expected behavior, or something can be patched to enable USB wakeup?

Thx again,

Me

Edited by OneMore

@OneMore.

yeah. i can't wake it either from external USB or regular key presses.   the Power button -  on system or dock - will wake it.  i have noticed that blue Fn key works too. generally have to hit the spacebar to fully wake the GFX tho.

Note: DP can convert to HDMI (or DVI) for about $8. I bought a small DP to HDMI adaptor so i can plug a regular HDMI-HDMI cable for TVs etc. Sound can be set to use the external HDMI - or not! i chose to connect my external HP 1920x1200 (one of few 16:10 vs the seemingly more common 16:9 style) monitor via a DP-DP. for some reason, it does not see it as an LCD mirror option (even though I generally use LCD as extended desktop anyway)  - but i down-loaded a nice free app from App Store called Display Menu - which is better than the native stuff anyway! 

One more strange issue occurred...

@tluck, anyone ever had this on T420?

After I connected external monitor on DP, and rebooted and power cycled a few times with lid closed, the OSX kind of discarded the internal display.

It looks like that: during the OS boot with lid open and no external display, even in safe mode and clean cache/no kexts, everything is fine until graphic mode switches to high resolution. At this moment the internal display gradually dims out, and the picture never comes back. If external monitor is connected, it becomes a secondary, so I can't log in until I close the lid.

If I unplug the external display and open the lid, the laptop screen seems to be active but having brightness set to zero. On closing/reopening the lid, I see the panel blinks, but the picture never comes out.

The only thing I can think of me possibly done wrong, is that when re-flashing the whitelisted BIOS (using Win8PE liveCD), I had the lid closed. But this issue doesn't occur when I boot LiveCD and load the drivers to get to hi-res mode, and re-flashing again with lid open didn't fix the issue, so it must be OSX thing?

I can't access monitor controls when the lid is open, as it all goes to the blackened screen, to swap primary/secondary screens, or at least turn on the mirrored mode, I guess there must be some parameter file where these settings are saved?

Anyone has ideas what to do here?

Thanks

Me

@tluck: I have DP to DVI passive converter that came with ~y2k made 19" Sony, it works ;-)

I used it to connect a Dell 21" on 1920x1050, Yosemite looks just gorgeous on this screen...

Thanks for display utility name, will try this right now, maybe it can fix my problem.

I think I need to find some way to reset brightness value that OSX saved for internal LCD panel somewhere, and make it appear secondary when external monitor is detected.

To power on with a lid closed, I enabled "power on when AC adapter is plugged" option in BIOS, so I don't need a keyboard for that anymore. But considering your finding about blue Fn key... if that works from internal keyboard (will test now), there can be some combination on external USB keyboard to simulate Fn key?

I don't have TV at home, so there's nothing HDMI around, none of my monitors have HDMI input. But all 3 have DVI, so I can even have multi-monitor setup if I get a docking station.

Thanks again,

Me

@OneMore - if your LCD goes dim after boot up - did you try to brighten by SrlLck/Pause - F14/F15.  it may have gotten low setting somehow?

however, with ACPIBackight kext installed you may have trouble booting with LCD closed - for me it remains dark unless i boot with lid open. remove this kext if this how you prefer to boot.

@tluck - thanks again for this Display Menu! That was a right tool at a right time. I was able to bring up properties dialogs for both displays to secondary screen, make it primary, and use brightness/gamma controls for the internal display. This didn't have any effect as well as profile switch or re-calibrate, but having this tool in startup makes it a safety net, as the monitor icons shows on a secondary display, too, and mirroring can be enabled any time.

I was eventually able to get internal display back with a few reboots (lid open and external monitor connected), with switching between display init parameters in BIOS setup ("Thinkpad internal" vs. "External VGA" vs. "Thinkpad digital"), and hitting Thinkpad's switch hotkeys (Fn-F7, F6, F5) on different stages of reboot (Lenovo splash screen, Clover startup screen, OS verbose booting, etc).

Not sure what exactly helped, but this definitely has something to do with Thinkpad external/internal display control.

I'd rather not remove any kexts, just understand the proper way to operate in both scenarios: with lid always closed (when laptop is sitting on my desk and connected to KVM), and lid open as needed (when carrying it elsewhere).

I think, I am good for now, waiting for card to arrive.

And I guess, this setup (kexts etc) will not survive the upgrade when new OS version comes, but there shall be no problems installing system security fixes and app upgrades, correct?

Thx,

Me.

Edited by OneMore

@OneMore

I have upgraded from 10.9.5 to 10.10.0 to 10.10.1 doing online upgrades

- the new AppleHDA_20672 and BroadcomBluetooth_T420 kexts are version agnostic now

- just download updates and run. the box behaves very much the sameway a real mac does for updates.