As some of you may know, the AMD hackintosh scene isn't dead!
Thanks to our genius developers (AnV, Sinetek, Nawcom, R:A:W:X86 and others... ), we now have ability to boot SL on AMD machine, WITH ARCH=x86_64!
This involves some patching and tricks,
Just a clarification for anyone reading this and saying "Isn't Nawcom's kernel already 64-bit?", Nawcom's kernel runs in 32-bit kernel space while allowing both 64 (if you have a 64-bit capable processor) and 32-bit applications to run. This kernel runs in 64-bit kernel space and also allows 32 and 64-bit applications to run.
NOTE: After successful 64-bit boot (System Profiler -> Software -> 64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes), please post your processor in this topic.
- Phenom II x6 1090T
- Phenom II x4 965
- Athlon II X4 645
- Athlon II x4 640
- Athlon II x3 435
- Athlon X2 250
- Athlon 64 x2 4000+
- Working 10.6.8 installation, with either AnV or Nawcom legacy kernel
- Phenom II or maybe some other processor with L3 cache. Doesn't work with Athlons yet.
- Amd_insn_patcher to get patched dyld and other files.
- Backups, if you don't want to start everything from the start again.
- A little bit of brains, I think about 10 grams is enough.
- Make sure you have backup of your HDD etc. I'm not responsible if you lose any of your data or if anything happens to your hard- / software.
- This may, or may not work. Don't do this if you have a working i386 -force64 system and you're happy with it.
- This kernel and other stuff is purely experimental, not stable release. Continue only if you have understood this.
- Let's start the process. Boot your hackintosh with AnV or Nawcom kernel, with arch=i386 and -force64! The patcher will screw your installation if you don't boot with -force64.
- Download the right kernel for your CPU, don't replace your existing kernel with it, just put it to the root of your HDD
- Patch your dyld and other stuff. Only works if you booted with -force64! Google more instructions for patching. This version of patcher works for me.
- Edit your boot.plist, change kernel to "sinetek" and arch=x86_64. No need for -force64 anymore. (or try with manual bootflags first)
- MAKE SURE ALL YOUR KEXTS ARE 64-BIT! This could work (not on Mac atm, can't test), x86_64 means 64-bit.
- Try to reboot. If it fails, reboot and type your bootflags in the Chameleon screen like: legacy_kernel arch=i386 -force64
- Post problems / successes here and I'll try to help you.
Sinetek's kernel for AMD Phenom II:
sinetek.zip 2.33MB 13 downloads
Sinetek's kernel for Athlons and other Pre-Phenom CPUs:
sinetek_pp.zip 2.45MB 22 downloads
Amd_insn_patcher (that should work correctly)
amd_insn_patcher.zip 21.78KB 22 downloads
Pre-patched QuickTimeComponents, if patcher fails for you
If anyone reading this tutorial is interested in more (Lion/ML on AMD), check out the new AMD Development section! There you can find latest tests / kernel builds.
And if you don't know the answer for the topic poll (and still want to answer), check this out.
v. 1.00 - My first tutorial on this forum
v. 1.01 - better structure
v. 1.02 - Added external dl links
v. 1.03 - New kernel by Sinetek added to downloads
v. 1.04 - Added poll
v. 1.05 - Made poll easier to understand
v. 1.06 - Added "confirmed processors"
v. 1.07 - Added more info about the kernel, thanks Instant Idiot.
v. 1.08 - Added information about 64-bit kexts