Snow Leopard kernel testing on AMD

Sinetek

157 posts in this topic

I wanna start testing again,

Currently I have the Nawcom Legacy kernel (which I have to use cpus=1 cause I have a sucky TSC sync problem! and VoodooTSCSyncAMD breaks the system!)

System Spec:

ECS A785GM-AD3

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T

AMD Radeon HD6570

DDR3 8GB

With the Sinetek Kernel I get a KP, booting with arch=i386 maxmem=4096 cpus=1 works on the nawcom kernel.

Sinetek booting with mach_kernel arch=x86_64 maxmem=4096 cpus=1 -v enters this infiniant loop of a KP and booting without cpus=1 gives me a warning that it is out of sync, will post a screenshot of both now.

"http://imageshack.us.../photo1au.jpg/" - TSC Sync

"http://imageshack.us.../photoheu.jpg/" - KP

As Deltac0 allready said, the new kernel is just 64 bit, so please use arch=x86_64

Cause of the cpus=1 problem. Did you allready edit your dsdt? You need to remove the alias entry´s in the cpu section. ;)

Are you sure that is Nawcom's kernel? I've always thought it can only boot i386 -force64.

That's why it was so "amazing" step when Sinetek got x86_64 SL booting on AMD.

Sinetek's kernel is the first kernel that has booted x86_64 successfully on multiple machines, I recommend double checking the kernel.

Sinetek's kernel doesn't support arch=i386. Use x86_64 and specify the correct busratio with "busratio=xx", and replace xx with your busratio.

If your processor is running stock / 2.8Ghz, it should be 14.

Hi thanks for your help, I am using the kernel flag arch=x86_64, tried busratio=14 & 17. but that brought up the same KP as for the above conversation nawcom only boots with i386, download kext utility and in KernelMode: it should say i386 if you are using the nawcom kernel

As Deltac0 allready said, the new kernel is just 64 bit, so please use arch=x86_64

Cause of the cpus=1 problem. Did you allready edit your dsdt? You need to remove the alias entry´s in the cpu section. ;)

DSDT edit's I am HOPELESS AT! :(

Ok so installed the TSCsync from iATKOS ML2 (found in the packages and installed it into snow) works on the nawcom kernel when i try boot the Sinetek kernel it starts going out of sync again but got a flash of a messed up graphic screen before it rebooted.

Hey here is a screenshot of my Kext Utility

screenshot20130107at8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am running Sinetek's sinetek_pp kernel on my setup.

sinetek_pp -v -f busratio=15 arch=x86_64 for kernel flags.

Can't run some programs, just flashscreen then quit. ITunes is one of them. And Safari quits also.

amd_insn_patcher doesn't work for me for some reason (under legacy_kernel_V8 -v cpus=1 busratio=15 arch=i386 -force64 GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1)

so I am open to suggestions at this point Simple ones, I tend to confuse easy sometimes.

does the quicktime.component have platform issues or is it universal. Meaning would one of yours work on my setup?

Hello, I have some problem with sinetec_pp 10.6.8 amd kernel. After then my system booted, my mouse and keyboard don't make any affect on desktop (desktop is not freezed, i can see how my dropbox syncs ).

Arguments like -x didn't help

I had patched dydl like it says here bud had errors

amd_insn_patcher /usr/lib/libSystem.B_profile.dylib pat/libSystem.B_profile.dylib

Patching universal binary (3 architectures)

Patching X86_64 part (processor 16777223, architecture 0)

No code signature found, skipping patch

Patch report (1): 0 instructions patched, 437 bad instructions, patches bypassed: NO

Patching I386 part (processor 7, architecture 1)

No code signature found, skipping patch

Patch report (2): 0 instructions patched, 33 bad instructions, patches bypassed: NO

Skipping non-Intel architecture (2)

No patches found, not generating output file

now i have only 2 files without errors (dyld and libSystem.B_profile.dylib). I did it by using amd_insn_patcher V1.03

• 2 weeks later...

Sinetek, I hope you don't mind, I posted both the first and _pp kernels you developed over at http://www.osx86.net/ in the /downloads/kernels section so more people can enjoy the wonderfulness of 64bit on AMD.

And thank you very much for these. Very much appreciated!

The problem I have been having all along with sinetek_pp during boot is I get like maybe 50 occurrences of 'BLACKLIST enabled' then it does the normal booting, then a few lines after Waiting for DSMOS there are another 250 occurrences of 'BLACKLIST enabled' then it is back to the regular scheduled programming picking up at :

Apple16X50ACPI1: Identified Serial Port on ACPI Device=UAR1

Apple16X50UARTSync1: Detected 16550AF/C/CF FIFO=16 MaxBaud=115200

I cannot seem to find anything even close to this in any of the forums.

Is anyone else seeing this problem?

Checked by running bdmesg in terminal, followed by sudo dmesg in terminal.

dmesg picks up about a third of the way through the 'BLACKLIST enabled' stuff, so I am unable to see what happens just before it starts.

Just to get back to an old Topic,

Adobe CS6

- So far the following are opening on Snow Leopard with Sinetek's kernel

Dreamweaver

Indesign

Flash BUILDER

Prelude

Speedgrade

Media Encoder

Bridge (opens but then crashes)

Programs left to be patched:

Photoshop

Illustrator

Flash

Fireworks

After Effects (and Render Engine)

Audition

As for Premiere Pro, freezes while loading on my PC.

Adobe CS6 - nawcom 32bit kernel and Userland [Working]

Flash

Fireworks

Dreamweaver

Flash Builder

Indesign

Acrobat Pro

Media Encoder

I am using 960T with this kernel and the new GFX is an Asus GT210, this kernel reboots the moment it enters the GUI get some artifacts and a reboot. I use the legacy kernel and the GFX works perfect. Please help with this kernel.

What kernel flags are you using to boot, with both please so ie:

legacy_kernel arch=i386 npci=0x2000 maxmem=4096

mach_kernel arch=x86_64 .... so on

05/02/13 21:04:38 compu com.apple.kextd[10] com.apple.kextd Error Load com.apple.nvidia.nvGK100hal failed; removing personalities.

05/02/13 21:04:39 compu kernel kern Debug kxld[com.apple.nvidia.nvGK100hal]: The Mach-O file is malformed: Invalid segment type in MH_KEXT_BUNDLE kext: 42.

05/02/13 21:04:39 compu kernel kern Debug Can't load kext com.apple.nvidia.nvGK100hal - link failed.

05/02/13 21:04:39 compu kernel kern Debug Failed to load executable for kext com.apple.nvidia.nvGK100hal.

05/02/13 21:04:39 compu kernel kern Debug Kext com.apple.nvidia.nvGK100hal failed to load (0xdc008016).

05/02/13 21:04:39 compu kernel kern Debug Failed to load kext com.apple.nvidia.nvGK100hal (error 0xdc008016).

05/02/13 21:05:53 compu com.apple.kextd[10] com.apple.kextd Error Load com.apple.nvidia.nvGK100hal failed; removing personalities.

gui finally loads, lets me choose user, but when mine starts, KP when SleepDisplay.app starts in the beginning

the issue deals with graphic drivers

UPDATE: I HAD WRONG PATCHED LIBRARIES... AFTER A METICULOUS REVISION, I FINALLY BOOT SUCCESFULLY WITH SINETEK (AND SINETEK_PP) ON: AMD ATHLON X2 7850BE KUMA 2.8@3.0 (sinetek arch=x86_64 busratio=15 -force64 npci=0x2000 maxmem=4096)

compu:~ cc$ ls -la /usr/lib/dyld*

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 12 Feb 5 23:21 /usr/lib/dyld -> dyld.patched

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 1054960 Sep 12 18:57 /usr/lib/dyld.original

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 1054960 Feb 5 12:27 /usr/lib/dyld.patched

compu:~ cc$ shasum /usr/lib/dyld*

82f2acf315deba4159d875c4f5ddb32ad446a2ee /usr/lib/dyld

dc342bfc72ed4b573be31e09ec15f341b779caeb /usr/lib/dyld.original

82f2acf315deba4159d875c4f5ddb32ad446a2ee /usr/lib/dyld.patched

compu:~ cc$ ls -la /usr/lib/libSystem.B.*

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 25 Feb 5 23:25 /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib -> libSystem.B.dylib.patched

-r-xr-xr-x@ 1 root wheel 6890816 Feb 5 19:29 /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib.original

-r-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 6890816 Sep 25 01:04 /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib.patched

compu:~ cc$ shasum /usr/lib/libSystem.B.*

79243b17198f60c349c333966bc50b88ee19e134 /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

730e798187ca650d2f5a441aa564bd197bdd1d57 /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib.original

79243b17198f60c349c333966bc50b88ee19e134 /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib.patched

compu:~ cc$ uname -a

Darwin compu.local 10.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Mon 19 Dec 2011 14:00:49 UTC; legacy kernel v6 :xnu-1504.15.3-sinetek/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

ps: sinetek: very thank you for making this kernel !!! i would be glad to help you in the testing of newer versions.

URGENT UPDATE: KERNEL PANIC. i think its because of this message:

06/02/13 00:08:55 localhost kernel kern Debug configd (map: 0xffffff800b4442e8) triggered DYLD shared region unnest for map: 0xffffff800b4442e8, region 0x7fff81600000->0x7fff81800000. While not abnormal for debuggers, this increases system memory footprint until the target exits.

also, kernel_task memory foorprint grows up to 650MB !!

post-916107-0-73359700-1360142472_thumb.jpg

Edited by bcobco

Is there tut on this ?

First set a Password on your account if you do not have one already set.

Download

"amd_insn_patcher"

Find it here: http://cl.ly/2e1H2S0g352K0q2l170M

extract it to the desktop,

Then click on spotlight (the magnify glass on the top right)

Type: "terminal"

With terminal open type "sudo"

Drag "amd_insn_patcher" to terminal, the find the following

/System/Library/QuickTime/

QuickTimeComponents.component

(Right Click and click Show Package Contents)

/Contents/MacOS/

Drag "QuickTimeComponents" to terminal TWICE and press enter, then type your password.

then type sudo again, Drag "amd_insn_patcher" to terminal, the find the following

/usr/lib/

Drag "libSystem.B.dylib" to terminal TWICE and press enter.

then type sudo again, Drag "amd_insn_patcher" to terminal, the find the following

/usr/lib/

Drag "dyld to terminal TWICE and press enter.

The folder "usr" will be hidden so alternatively you can do this.

Open terminal and change to the directory that contains the files from the zip to the desktop like so:

cd Desktop/amd_insn_patcher/

Now type the following (or copy and paste in terminal, to paste in terminal right click in the terminal windows and press paste)

sudo ./amd_insn_patcher /System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeComponents.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeComponents /System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeComponents.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeComponents

Press Enter

Type in your password.

sudo ./amd_insn_patcher /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

Press Enter

sudo ./amd_insn_patcher /usr/lib/dyld /usr/lib/dyld

Press Enter

Why can't I run the Legacy Kernel in 64 bit mode ?

My Config :

Phenom 960T

Gt 210

Are you booting with -force64? what kernel are you using in the legacy range (i.e: nawcom 10.6.8 legacy_kernel)

• Like 1

i have a phenom ii x6 1055 processor amd with 4 gigabytes of ram,i can boot to macos 10.6.8 with arch=x86_64 but i cant use more than cpus=1 if iuse cpus=6 then i get waiting for root device when accessing the firewire port,(my sound card is a focusrite saffire firewire and works fine with voodoo.kext),another problem is that if i use cpus=2 then it boots however i lose graphics acceleration on my nvidia gts 250 that otherwise works ok.

Strange part is that it sees that i have 1 processor with 6 threads,

My boot kernel options are mach_kernel arch=x86_64 maxmem=4096 -v.

Also what is the correct way to patch dyld and other system files with the amd patcher?i tried to follow some guides but after patching dyld it said illegal instruction and then mac crashed after boot then kernel panics and errors and had to restart,notice i did all patch while i was running 64 bit.

Please can someone help?Activity monitor shows 6 cores of the processor but only one is being used,when i use cpus=2 2 are active.But cpus=6 makes me halt at still waiting for root when accessing the firewire port.

i have a phenom ii x6 1055 processor amd with 4 gigabytes of ram,i can boot to macos 10.6.8 with arch=x86_64 but i cant use more than cpus=1 if iuse cpus=6 then i get waiting for root device when accessing the firewire port,(my sound card is a focusrite saffire firewire and works fine with voodoo.kext),another problem is that if i use cpus=2 then it boots however i lose graphics acceleration on my nvidia gts 250 that otherwise works ok.

Strange part is that it sees that i have 1 processor with 6 threads,

My boot kernel options are mach_kernel arch=x86_64 maxmem=4096 -v.

Also what is the correct way to patch dyld and other system files with the amd patcher?i tried to follow some guides but after patching dyld it said illegal instruction and then mac crashed after boot then kernel panics and errors and had to restart,notice i did all patch while i was running 64 bit.

Please can someone help?Activity monitor shows 6 cores of the processor but only one is being used,when i use cpus=2 2 are active.But cpus=6 makes me halt at still waiting for root when accessing the firewire port.

Had the same problem (Also have a 1055T), TSC Sync problem. You can either create a DSDT override (I can't help you with that as I have no clue myself, I will get around to it as some people say it is easy), or the easiest! Load the VoodooTSCSync.kext (I used the one from iAtkos ML2 as others I've used in the pass have killed my setup untill I delete them). To load it drag into Kext Utility, both can be found here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4apkogckk7dclrr/d0HJeoqABI