Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,868 posts in this topic

It's already working with dsdt edits by toleda. no reason to use property injection.

I just thought you would like to fix your display patch.

Again, thank you for all the great work

This is really a great project

And thank you toleda,your AppleHDA patches and dsdt fixes are well appreciated.

Is it possible to boot a legacy (non-UEFI) install of Windows 7 from Clover? I want to try loading it with my DSDT to see if anything breaks on the Windows side.

I've tried with my USB Clover UEFI install but Windows immediately gives me an error that a file is missing and to ctrl+alt+del.

It's already working with dsdt edits by toleda. no reason to use property injection.

I just thought you would like to fix your display patch.

Again, thank you for all the great work

This is really a great project

And thank you toleda,your AppleHDA patches and dsdt fixes are well appreciated.

I just want to know if the properties injection is enough for HDMI working without manually DSDT patching.

I'll be very obliged you if you make this test too.

@Toleda - Not a stupid question I hope. Your SSDT for audio - does it require a custom AppleHDA.kext?

No. The HDMI audio ssdt works with the native ML AppleHDA.kext and layout-id =1 for HD3000, HD4000, AMD and Nvidia graphics systems.  HD4600 HDMI audio is not native at this time (Clover can patch the native binary.)

what is right syntax to drop all OEM SSDT table now? i am on b2165.

with this syntax, i have to manually get into Clover Options and make sure Drop All OEM SSDT is + (on).

<key>ACPI</key>
        <dict>
                <key>DSDT</key>
                <dict>
                        <key>Debug</key>
                        <false/>
                        <key>FixMask</key>
                        <string>0x0000</string>
                        <key>Name</key>
                        <string>DSDT.aml</string>
                </dict>
                <key>DropOemSSDT</key>
                <true/>
                <key>SSDT</key>
                <dict>
                        <key>Generate</key>
                        <dict>
                                <key>CStates</key>
                                <true/>
                                <key>PStates</key>
                                <true/>
                        </dict>
                </dict>
        </dict>

EDIT - was able to accomplish what i needed to by adding this to the ACPI table:

<key>DropTables</key>
                <array>
                        <dict>
                                <key>Signature</key>
                                <string>SSDT</string>
                                <key>TableId</key>
                                <string>CpuPm</string>
                        </dict>
                        <dict>
                                <key>Signature</key>
                                <string>SSDT</string>
                                <key>TableId</key>
                                <string>Cpu0Ist</string>
                        </dict>
                </array>

Note:

i did get more and higher P-states when using a handmade ssdt vs clover generated ssdt (P/C states)

geekbench ran at 6320 vs 6550

Clover

Sep 29 11:57:16 toms-mac kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8    12 16 21 25    30 

extra ssdt.aml

Sep 29 12:04:52 toms-mac kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8 11 12 16 21 25 29 30 32 

• Like 1

Is it possible to boot a legacy (non-UEFI) install of Windows 7 from Clover? I want to try loading it with my DSDT to see if anything breaks on the Windows side.

I've tried with my USB Clover UEFI install but Windows immediately gives me an error that a file is missing and to ctrl+alt+del.

If you use UEFI boot, you can try with Legacy=LegacyBiosDefault in your config.plist.

For this to work, you need to have CSM enabled.

And even then, it will boot only your first Legacy HDD (as set in BIOS), no matter what you choose.

If you get immediately file is missing, it probably tries to boot from the wrong HDD, so try to set it as first HDD in bios.

It doesn't work this way (HDMI audio)

tried this with dsdt mask F9D3&F8D3

do you need logs/IOREG output?

I want to understand what is the reason it doesn't work this way.

Yes, dumps, logs, thoughts.

We can't say "impossible".

• Like 1

If you use UEFI boot, you can try with Legacy=LegacyBiosDefault in your config.plist.

For this to work, you need to have CSM enabled.

And even then, it will boot only your first Legacy HDD (as set in BIOS), no matter what you choose.

If you get immediately file is missing, it probably tries to boot from the wrong HDD, so try to set it as first HDD in bios.

Thanks Pene. I had Legacy set to PBR and the actual error message was "A disk read error occured. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart".

I tried with LegacyBiosDefault but got a different error message "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."

With PBRtest I got no error. Just a black screen and the computer reset. It wrote the following into the legacy_boot.log:

11:981  0:041   DevPath: 7

11:989  0:008   GUID = <null guid>

12:121  0:132  boot from partition HD(1,MBR,0xF108AF67,0x3F,0x4FFD5E6)

12:121  0:000  starting from 0x3F LBA

12:121  0:000  gEfiLegacy8259ProtocolGuid found

12:122  0:000  PBR after readDisk:

12:122  0:000  0000: EB 52 90 4E 54 46 53 20 20 20 20 00 02 08 00 00

12:122  0:000  0010: 00 00 00 00 00 F8 00 00 3F 00 FF 00 3F 00 00 00

12:122  0:000  0020: 00 00 00 00 80 00 80 00 E5 D5 FF 04 00 00 00 00

12:122  0:000  0030: 00 00 0C 00 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

12:122  0:000  Reset disk controller 0x80

CSM is enabled and the drive is the first in the hard disk boot order. I'm using Slice's 2165a build from yesterday.

Sorry, but version 2165a must not contain such message.

Slice, my bad, working now in terms of applying the patch. However, it is not clear what the patch does. I applied the patch to 10.8.4 kernel on a Haswell machine, and despite the fact that the patch is indeed applied as confirmed by '64 bit patch... OK', the 10.8.4 kernel presumably does not recognize the Haswell CPU, and spontaneously reboots instead. Whereas, when this patch, is manually applied, works on 10.8.4, but not on 10.8.5 at my best guess application location. Could not figure out where to apply it on 10.9. Thanks once again.

Thanks Pene. I had Legacy set to PBR and the actual error message was "A disk read error occured. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart".

I tried with LegacyBiosDefault but got a different error message "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."

With PBRtest I got no error. Just a black screen and the computer reset. It wrote the following into the legacy_boot.log:

11:981  0:041   DevPath: 7

11:989  0:008   GUID = <null guid>

12:121  0:132  boot from partition HD(1,MBR,0xF108AF67,0x3F,0x4FFD5E6)

12:121  0:000  starting from 0x3F LBA

12:121  0:000  gEfiLegacy8259ProtocolGuid found

12:122  0:000  PBR after readDisk:

12:122  0:000  0000: EB 52 90 4E 54 46 53 20 20 20 20 00 02 08 00 00

12:122  0:000  0010: 00 00 00 00 00 F8 00 00 3F 00 FF 00 3F 00 00 00

12:122  0:000  0020: 00 00 00 00 80 00 80 00 E5 D5 FF 04 00 00 00 00

12:122  0:000  0030: 00 00 0C 00 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

12:122  0:000  Reset disk controller 0x80

CSM is enabled and the drive is the first in the hard disk boot order. I'm using Slice's 2165a build from yesterday.

On UEFI there no much point to try anything but LegacyBiosDefault. Which should work booting first drive on most UEFIs.

It that doesn't, try using the "Exit" button from Clover, and see if that boots your windows.

On UEFI there no much point to try anything but LegacyBiosDefault. Which should work booting first drive on most UEFIs.

It that doesn't, try using the "Exit" button from Clover, and see if that boots your windows.

Hitting Exit boots Windows fine, but without the DSDT injection. Which is the whole reason I'm trying to boot Windows from Clover.

I have the DSDT in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Windows. Will this even work? Most references say this is for a SLIC.aml.

Which way you want me to test,

with display patch or without?

This is a test with display patch+properties as you suggested

You have wrong config for hda-gfx, it must be onboard-2

while you have

onboard2

And this is not the same. So why HDMI is not working.

Hitting Exit boots Windows fine, but without the DSDT injection. Which is the whole reason I'm trying to boot Windows from Clover.

I have the DSDT in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Windows. Will this even work? Most references say this is for a SLIC.aml.

No, DSDT injection for Windows was not introduced.

No, DSDT injection for Windows was not introduced.

Thanks for clearing that up, Slice. I'll have to find some other way to inject the dsdt then.

Is HaltEnabler enabled by default in 2164 and up? I just updated to 2165 and without adding it to my config I was able to restart Mavericks twice without loading EmuVariable.  Normally this would result in a hang every time.

Yes this its only for slic.

This will not work.

U need to replace it in bios if u wanna try it with windows.

@Riley - not exactly sure what you are trying to do here with Windows. FWIW, I dual boot OSX and Windows using UEFI from a single disk. both boot with pure UEFI (not MBR) the disk is GPT then has 4 partitions - 1 ESP (msdos) , OSX (HFS) , OSX recover (hfs?) and then Windows (NTFS).

Clover GUI shows lists OSX and Win7 as boot options.  but then for Win7 it will use /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi if selected. 

Windows boots and reads the "native" DSDT from BIOS and whereas if of course if I select OSX  reads its custom DSDT.aml from /EFI/CLOVER/... uses Cloverx86.efi to load. Note: the exact same windows image will boot from MBR or UEFI ... sorry if this is obvious... or perhaps I just dont understand what you were asking here?

the key is that Windows does not know anything about Clover or /EFI/Clover really. meaning it just and boots up from stuff in /EFI/Microsoft using the standard UEFI mechanisms from BIOS. I copied my MBR based windows image to the GPT disk  and it works without change. it just uses an efi bootmgr vs mgr bootmgr now. 

I wanted to try it through a bootloader first to see if it worked OK in Windows. Didn't want to find out the hard way after flashing it into the BIOS.

Try recompiling Clover rewriting this part to PatchACPI(Entry->Volume), then take a look at the function itself in rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/AcpiPatcher.c .. or actually for starters just set it to TRUE.

else if (OSTYPE_IS_WINDOWS(Entry->LoaderType)) {

if (gEmuVariableControl != NULL) {
      gEmuVariableControl->UninstallEmulation(gEmuVariableControl);
    }

PatchACPI_OtherOS(L"Windows", FALSE);
    //PauseForKey(L"continue");

}

Still doesn't work

May be you also need AddProperties for those keys

"@0,connector-type", 
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                         0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
                    }, 

"@1,connector-type", 
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                         0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
                    }, 

"@2,connector-type", 
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                         0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
                    }, 

"@3,connector-type", 
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                         0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
                    }, 

Be caution about . It should be like

<dict>
				<key>Device</key>
				<string>NVidia</string>
				<key>Key</key>
				<string>@3,connector-type</string>
				<key>Value</key>
				<data>AAgAAA==</data>
			</dict>

CLOVERX64.efi-2177.zip

hello , 

j'aimerais savoir quelle version de Clover est compatible Maveriks ? la version 1050 est de loin la meilleure pour moi (GA-78MLT-S2P / Opteron 3350 HE) pour 10.8 :) 

j'ai essayé plusieurs versions , j'arrive sur écran bleu avec les options inactives , j'ai juste le choix des HDD :( 

Merci à vous :) 

I would like to know which version of Clover is Maveriks Compatible? 1050 version is by far the best for me (GA-78MLT-S2P / Opteron 3350 HE) for 10.8 :)

I tried several versions, I get blue screen with inactive options, I just choosing the HDD: (

Thank you to you :)

hello , 

j'aimerais savoir quelle version de Clover est compatible Maveriks ? la version 1050 est de loin la meilleure pour moi (GA-78MLT-S2P / Opteron 3350 HE) pour 10.8 :)

j'ai essayé plusieurs versions , j'arrive sur écran bleu avec les options inactives , j'ai juste le choix des HDD :(

Merci à vous :)

I would like to know which version of Clover is Maveriks Compatible? 1050 version is by far the best for me (GA-78MLT-S2P / Opteron 3350 HE) for 10.8 :)

I tried several versions, I get blue screen with inactive options, I just choosing the HDD: (

Thank you to you :)

1851 is the earliest that will work.

And the blue screen thing is because you don't have a theme installed

Open the Clover install again and this time check "Metal" under the Themes option

• Like 1

May be you also need AddProperties for those keys

"@0,connector-type", 
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                         0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
                    }, 

"@1,connector-type", 
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                         0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
                    },