• Please log in to reply
982 replies to this topic

cyf

cyf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

I'm not sure of the exact connector as I don't have anything to measure it with to compare to the datasheets :) However, on the weekend I cannibalized on old Dell laptop for its wifi antenna's, removed the stock UX32VD antenna assembly and hacked the Dell wires into place. Interesting find is that in the stock UX32VD connectors, both the pin and shield are connected to the body whereas the Dell cables isolated the two paths. I carefully stripped the Dell cables and connected just the inner conductor to the body. I have my cheap Dell DW1510 working in Windows 8/Unbuntu but I haven't got OSX re-installed yet as current Clover configuration isn't booting the installer now. Working on this next...

Are you trying to follow the instructions given in the Clover documentation? Are are you way beyond that? People are just getting to the Windows 8 issues (after page 15?) of this thread:

http://www.osx86.net...bootloader.html

I'm going to keep Windows off of my computer as long as I can. Trying out Parallels and so far it works okay. Probably won't be enough for you as you program.

gsly

gsly

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Are you trying to follow the instructions given in the Clover documentation? Are are you way beyond that? People are just getting to the Windows 8 issues (after page 15?) of this thread:

http://www.osx86.net...bootloader.html

I'm going to keep Windows off of my computer as long as I can. Trying out Parallels and so far it works okay. Probably won't be enough for you as you program.

I'm building Clover from source so ya, I'm beyond that :) I think my Clover customization is no longer allowing the OSX installer to complete (get the grey screen with beach ball) so I just have to fix that. Windows 8 will be no problem, its just a matter of properly configuring the ESP and UEFI boot variables to get all of the OS's working properly. Although the UEFI standard fully supports multiple operating systems in the ESP, Unbuntu is about the only one that properly implements the standard and unfortunately Microsoft and Apple pretty much stomp on everything much like the old issue with a single MBR :(
One issue I did find is that Windows 8 does not support the old UTC clock hack so booting between Windows and Linux causes time issues. I set Linux to use local time and that fixed it, but I have yet to see if OSX will support this mode.

cyf

cyf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

I'm building Clover from source so ya, I'm beyond that :) I think my Clover customization is no longer allowing the OSX installer to complete (get the grey screen with beach ball) so I just have to fix that. Windows 8 will be no problem, its just a matter of properly configuring the ESP and UEFI boot variables to get all of the OS's working properly. Although the UEFI standard fully supports multiple operating systems in the ESP, Unbuntu is about the only one that properly implements the standard and unfortunately Microsoft and Apple pretty much stomp on everything much like the old issue with a single MBR :(
One issue I did find is that Windows 8 does not support the old UTC clock hack so booting between Windows and Linux causes time issues. I set Linux to use local time and that fixed it, but I have yet to see if OSX will support this mode.

I had same issues with the spinning ball for my recent (re)build and initially I had to just get OS X up, so I reverted to Chameleon for the install. However, I think how I got it to work on a subsequent reinstall was just to leave Clover to not do very much and it then came up -- I DID have to plug in a USB mouse though.

You will def. have OS X setting the clock to GMT. I tried using Clover's patch for RTC, but no joy so far. It's not on the list of priorities as I'm not multi-boot yet. This article touched on it, it seems:

http://www.insanelym...40#entry1863272

Edited by cyf, 20 November 2012 - 08:23 PM.

r0ot

r0ot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
friends, after update to 10.8.2 - no more audio, please help to restore the audio to ux31a (i've patched DSDT), but still no audio with AppleHDA.kext

cyf

cyf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

friends, after update to 10.8.2 - no more audio, please help to restore the audio to ux31a (i've patched DSDT), but still no audio with AppleHDA.kext

Did you use the kexts in the first post? How did you patch your DSDT? Also, what devices show up under your Audio System Preferences?

r0ot

r0ot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
I've installed KEXT in first post for now in /Extra (no hda and ioaudio in /s/l/e) and found this https://docs.google....pXcTFZRHc#gid=3, so audio worked very well in 10.8.0, but i've done the update to 10.8.2 (stupid) and got broken with audio kexts.

So audio prefs in system profiler:

Devices:

AirPlay:

Default Output Device: Yes
Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Output Channels: 2
Current SampleRate: 44100
Transport: AirPlay

AirPlay:

Default Output Device: Yes

Manufacturer: Apple Inc.

Output Channels: 2

Current SampleRate: 44100

Transport: AirPlay

Intel High Definition Audio:

Audio ID: 28

I don't know from what i've got the AirPlay, but i've done the replacement of wifi adapter to Atheros AR5B93

And if i install VoodooHDA, it find all - mic, audio + hdmi, but no sound from notebook speakers :(

gsly

gsly

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

You will def. have OS X setting the clock to GMT. I tried using Clover's patch for RTC, but no joy so far. It's not on the list of priorities as I'm not multi-boot yet. This article touched on it, it seems:

http://www.insanelym...40#entry1863272

That is for the issue where shutting down/sleeping OSX resets the CMOS memory to defaults and I don't think this is applicable to the Zenbook, although this did affect my Gigabyte board with psuedo-UEFI BIOS, however I have yet to test it with the latest beta full UEFI BIOS which has its bugs :(

Anyway, I haven't had time yet to get OSX installed but if I can't get OSX to understand local time vs. UTC, I may have a go at writing a UEFI module and an Clover interface/hook to allow the boot loader to deal with the time/clock before the OS gets to see it. That should solve that :)

cyf

cyf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Oops hit "post" too soon...

That is for the issue where shutting down/sleeping OSX resets the CMOS memory to defaults and I don't think this is applicable to the Zenbook, although this did affect my Gigabyte board with psuedo-UEFI BIOS, however I have yet to test it with the latest beta full UEFI BIOS which has its bugs :(

Anyway, I haven't had time yet to get OSX installed but if I can't get OSX to understand local time vs. UTC, I may have a go at writing a UEFI module and an Clover interface/hook to allow the boot loader to deal with the time/clock before the OS gets to see it. That should solve that :)

Ahh, thanks, that makes sense now. BTW, I can confirm that the lock of the PowerManagement is in the bios:

http://www.insanelym...os/page__st__40

However, I can't seem to flash the modded bios--EZ Flash says it's an old bios (it says the same thing even if I try to flash the same version), and trying to flash using AFUDOS or the UEFI version will give errors. Not sure what to do next--maybe figure out a way to change the version so that EZ Flash thinks it's the latest?

This would be nice if I can flash it.

I've installed KEXT in first post for now in /Extra (no hda and ioaudio in /s/l/e) and found this https://docs.google....pXcTFZRHc#gid=3, so audio worked very well in 10.8.0, but i've done the update to 10.8.2 (stupid) and got broken with audio kexts.

I don't know from what i've got the AirPlay, but i've done the replacement of wifi adapter to Atheros AR5B93

And if i install VoodooHDA, it find all - mic, audio + hdmi, but no sound from notebook speakers :(

Yep, that's the sheet I created to store the DSDT patches I saw from this list. I have 10.8.2, but I put the enclosed kexts in /S/L/E and don't forget to repair permissions/rebuild cache. I enclose the DSDT I currently use--I have not created a custom one for my UX21A and thus this is one I got from this thread, so I think this should work for you.

Attached Files

cyf

cyf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Does the Atheros show up as an Airport card? I'm not sure what the difference is as to being a third-party or "native" card, but the Broadcom cards (http://www.ifixit.co...Teardown/9457/2) are avail as half-mini-pci-e, and can be "rebranded" to be recognized as Airport cards.

r0ot

r0ot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Oops hit "post" too soon...

Ahh, thanks, that makes sense now. BTW, I can confirm that the lock of the PowerManagement is in the bios:

http://www.insanelym...os/page__st__40

However, I can't seem to flash the modded bios--EZ Flash says it's an old bios (it says the same thing even if I try to flash the same version), and trying to flash using AFUDOS or the UEFI version will give errors. Not sure what to do next--maybe figure out a way to change the version so that EZ Flash thinks it's the latest?

This would be nice if I can flash it.

Yep, that's the sheet I created to store the DSDT patches I saw from this list. I have 10.8.2, but I put the enclosed kexts in /S/L/E and don't forget to repair permissions/rebuild cache. I enclose the DSDT I currently use--I have not created a custom one for my UX21A and thus this is one I got from this thread, so I think this should work for you.

Thanks man, audio worked in /s/l/e, but it's not working in /extra . I wonder if it possible to add mic to have the possibility talk by skype (it exist in system preferences, but not working correctly)

Does the Atheros show up as an Airport card? I'm not sure what the difference is as to being a third-party or "native" card, but the Broadcom cards (http://www.ifixit.co...Teardown/9457/2) are avail as half-mini-pci-e, and can be "rebranded" to be recognized as Airport cards.

This is native {s-h-i-t} - no KEXT added, no modification - AirDrop and WiFi ok

nhart12

nhart12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
The guy who made the elan touchpad driver for v3 is now working on V4. so that is great news for us zenbook owners! check this thread for info and eventually the driver http://forum.osxlati...driver-mac-osx/...:

cyf i will try to look at your dsdt sometime this weekend so I will get back to you

cyf

cyf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Thanks man, audio worked in /s/l/e, but it's not working in /extra . I wonder if it possible to add mic to have the possibility talk by skype (it exist in system preferences, but not working correctly)
This is native {s-h-i-t} - no KEXT added, no modification - AirDrop and WiFi ok

Just as a data point, I have an internal mic shown, and the meter seems to show me talking (i.e., moving up and down). I don't know how to test it. Is there some audio recorder in Mac OS? I will download Skype and try.

Nice re: wifi card. I'll have to do this soon.

Thomas2111

Thomas2111

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
Got wifi working, that is realy difficult
with the Atheros card (u/fl) and an antena from an old PC
see the pictures below
the backplate is connected to the antenna with the screws

i've put back the intel centrino card (w/fl) and the antenna because my W/fl antena don't receive the wifi signal over 10 meter
(WHY :( my multimeter indicates me that all is right)

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.JPG   109.31KB   109 downloads
  • Attached File  2.JPG   234.1KB   132 downloads
  • Attached File  3.JPG   137.94KB   133 downloads
  • Attached File  4.JPG   103.25KB   126 downloads
  • Attached File  5.JPG   103.5KB   127 downloads
  • Attached File  6.JPG   166.72KB   99 downloads

cyf

cyf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

The guy who made the elan touchpad driver for v3 is now working on V4. so that is great news for us zenbook owners! check this thread for info and eventually the driver http://forum.osxlati...driver-mac-osx/...:
cyf i will try to look at your dsdt sometime this weekend so I will get back to you

AWESOME re: touchpad.

DSDT

Thanks nhart--Re: DSDT, enclosed is an updated version of my DSDT. I did a test earlier trying your DSDT, and it seems that your version of the DSDT will cause KP's on my machine and an immediate reboot--not even a stopped boot screen (I will try it again right now though because I have noticed that sometimes any change will cause a KP on the first boot, and the second reboot will be okay). What I ended up doing is using DiffMerge to compare and transpose over the patches/edits from the DSDT that I believe is for the UX32VD (which is the file I attached earlier and named "DSDT-current" because that's the DSDT I am currently using). I notice there were some memory ranges and stuff that were different from my UX21A DSDT, such as a variable name difference of "IGPU" and "GFX0", and some additional methods that were only in the UX21A DSDT (which I presume is from this being difference between UX21 and UX31A/UX32VD) and I didn't touch those values. It will be pretty clear when you look at it under DiffMerge.

I also re-saved the dsl files to remove the comments and extra carriage returns that the IASL decompiler in Chameleon Wizard adds, and which causes DiffMerge highlight most of the document as changed--which I guess is technically true, but is a pain to look at and no way to tell DiffMerge to ignore. I tried to clean things up as best I could, but didn't want to do too much as I don't know enough about DSDT to mess with it too much.

Thanks.

New UX31A bios:

There's a bios update for UX31A. Before you upgrade to the new bios, you may want to try this:

http://www.insanelym...vy-bridge-bios/

I have verified that the code is in the UX21A bios (so I'm presuming it's in the UX31A and UX32VD bioses as well). However, I can't reflash my bios for some reason and was going to wait for a new version for my bios to be released, mod that, and then flash it.

Post of new UX31A bios:

http://forum.noteboo...d-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:
New bios update for UX31A available in version 2.16.
No change log unfortunately.

NB-TSD Download (http://nbtsd.asustre.../BIOS/UX-Serie/)

Got wifi working, that is realy difficult
with the Atheros card (u/fl) and an antena from an old PC
see the pictures below
the backplate is connected to the antenna with the screws

i've put back the intel centrino card (w/fl) and the antenna because my W/fl antena don't receive the wifi signal over 10 meter
(WHY :( my multimeter indicates me that all is right)

1. Is 2.jpg a picture of the original ASUS antennas (the ones you're calling W/fl?)? They are soldered to brackets?
2. Why are you shorting the replacement antennas (that is, electrically connecting the tips of the replacement antennas to the back cover) in 5.jpg? That completely changes the electrical characteristics of the antennas. Try it without connecting the antennas to anything on the other end.

Attached Files

Thomas2111

Thomas2111

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

1. Is 2.jpg a picture of the original ASUS antennas (the ones you're calling W/fl?)? They are soldered to brackets?
2. Why are you shorting the replacement antennas (that is, electrically connecting the tips of the replacement antennas to the back cover) in 5.jpg? That completely changes the electrical characteristics of the antennas. Try it without connecting the antennas to anything on the other end.

In 2.jpg it is the W/FL coax antenna from the old pc, that fits with the atheros w/fl socket
in the old pc they was soldered to brackets and connected on a big aluminium sheet in the screen ( 17" ) that i replaced by the asus backplate, i think it's connected on another aluminum sheet in the asus'screen by screw contact because all screws are electrical-maped (multimeter have spoken :P ) i'll try tomorow to connect the antenna to nothing else than the card, but i'm not hopefully, we'll see. BBS

[Edit] tryed, but still ~10 meters. I'm thinking about keep the intel or soldering W/FL coax connectors from my old antenna on the asus antenna cable\
[Edit] Done, works fine, i have the wifi airplay, airdrop

cyf

cyf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

In 2.jpg it is the W/FL coax antenna from the old pc, that fits with the atheros w/fl socket
in the old pc they was soldered to brackets and connected on a big aluminium sheet in the screen ( 17" ) that i replaced by the asus backplate, i think it's connected on another aluminum sheet in the asus'screen by screw contact because all screws are electrical-maped (multimeter have spoken :P ) i'll try tomorow to connect the antenna to nothing else than the card, but i'm not hopefully, we'll see. BBS

[Edit] tryed, but still ~10 meters. I'm thinking about keep the intel or soldering W/FL coax connectors from my old antenna on the asus antenna cable\
[Edit] Done, works fine, i have the wifi airplay, airdrop

Works fine = 10 meters still? Soldering those connectors are going to be difficult, no? Very small connections, including shielding!

I did poorly in my radio frequency classes, but one thing I did learn is that antennas HAVE TO BE matched with the characteristics of the system, so simply replacing any one of the components may mean reception won't be as good. Also, shielding is important, so if you remove the outer ring on your new WiFi card so that the ASUS antenna is able to fit (see previous post in this thread--don't remember who did this), at the very least I would try to figure out a way to replicate (i.e., copy) the shielding function, which may mean electrically connecting the outer shielding of the ASUS cable to the part where the ring was.

You have a dual-boot, right? Just to confirm it's not a software setting, can you boot into Windows and see if you get the same readings?

Oh yeah, it says "BT MAC" on your card. Does the BT work?

Thomas2111

Thomas2111

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Works fine = 10 meters still? Soldering those connectors are going to be difficult, no? Very small connections, including shielding!

I did poorly in my radio frequency classes, but one thing I did learn is that antennas HAVE TO BE matched with the characteristics of the system, so simply replacing any one of the components may mean reception won't be as good. Also, shielding is important, so if you remove the outer ring on your new WiFi card so that the ASUS antenna is able to fit (see previous post in this thread--don't remember who did this), at the very least I would try to figure out a way to replicate (i.e., copy) the shielding function, which may mean electrically connecting the outer shielding of the ASUS cable to the part where the ring was.

You have a dual-boot, right? Just to confirm it's not a software setting, can you boot into Windows and see if you get the same readings?

Oh yeah, it says "BT MAC" your card. Does the BT work?

before all : U/fl is the biggest of my connectors, present on the atheros card and my old antenna (about 2mm) W/fl is the smaller one, present on the asus antenna and the intel card (about 1mm
\\
Work over 10 meters, i think it can work over 50m maybe more (i have a good reception)
Works good on windows too
about the antena, the U/FL or W/FL connectors alows 5Ghz (802.11a & 802.11n) and the 2.4Ghz (802.11 b/g/n) the asus antenna is a 802.11n (with Wl/fl cable that i cut and soldered with a U/fl one from an old antenna) thats compatible
and YES thats difficult and realy small !
about the ring socket U/fL on the atheros card, i don't want to try to replace it by a smaller (U/FL), that's too small, it need a SMD solder (that's a bit difficult :P )
the blutooth card actually works on mac + the internal usb one, not on windows yet (just need the driver)

BTW i would like to notice that i soldered my mini cable (W/fl from asus) on the antenna too so i have an antenna with W/fl and U/fl in case of i want to put again the intel card in the zenbook
sorry the fiirst pic is bad but we can see the solder in grey, the mini W/fl mapped and the u/fl too in my hand (for one of the two cables, the black one)
on the second pic, the two U/FL cable plugged on the atheros card, the solder and the W/fl connetors protected by chaterton

Attached Files

cyf

cyf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

BTW i would like to notice that i soldered my mini cable (W/fl from asus) on the antenna too so i have an antenna with W/fl and U/fl in case of i want to put again the intel card in the zenbook
sorry the fiirst pic is bad but we can see the solder in grey, the mini W/fl mapped and the u/fl too in my hand (for one of the two cables, the black one)
on the second pic, the two U/FL cable plugged on the atheros card, the solder and the W/fl connetors protected by chaterton

Very nice. How far did you cut? WOuld have been nice to have pictures before you put the tape on. :wallbash:

Edit: I think you mean you soldered the W/Fl cable at the antenna? Guess can't tell how you spliced it in the picture as you already assembled it in second picture, and first is blurry. :| Guess I should at least open mine... :moil:

Thomas2111

Thomas2111

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Edit: I think you mean you soldered the W/Fl cable at the antenna? Guess can't tell how you spliced it in the picture as you already assembled it in second picture, and first is blurry. Posted Image Guess I should at least open mine... :moil:

My english is bad :D here is my electric shema, thanks windows, paint. everyone can understand that
about the cut, all is realy short with the WFL antena, need to cut the minimal as possible

Attached Files

vishhvaan

vishhvaan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

My english is bad :D here is my electric shema, thanks windows, paint. everyone can understand that
about the cut, all is realy short with the WFL antena, need to cut the minimal as possible

I was just looking to open up the W.FL antennas as well. Did you just solder the inner conductors together or did you also solder the conducting shields? And how in the world did you manage to make the small cuts to W.FL cable? Good Job man.

Has anyone else tried to open up the screen to put in their own antennas?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy