ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51 Ultrabook - fixes, mods, tweaks, etc

nhart12

1,056 posts in this topic

As far as your boot problem it seems that chameleon didn't install properly.. Try reinstalling chameleon and make sure when going through the installation that it installs to your harddrive not somewhere else..

I think the problem with your audio is that since your booting from the USB it is not loading the custom dsdt, mine has the necessary patch to get it working if you are using that.. So after you install chameleon, either use chameleon wizard (search for it) to customize your org.chameleon.boot.plist to load the custom dsdt. Or you can just use my org.chameleon.boot.plist..

Also my DSDT includes a patch already for the HD4000 so if you enabled it another way you wont need that anymore.

The intel centrino card will probably never work with OSX, so you have a few options there.. If your not comfortable with opening your laptop then just get an external. If you want to swap the internal centrino wifi with something compatible then I recommend this card (wifi only) which works without configuration:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item232201d54e

If you really want bluetooth still then this card, but will require extra kexts:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3cc203cb66

The problem though with both of these cards is that the Antenna connectors that came factory with this laptop are not a standard size... so you may have to play with the connectors and some solder if your looking for a permanent solution.

For sleep, yes you need the patched AppleINtelcpupowermanagement kext, but I was only able to get two processor states working so far.

I think also for the battery meter you need to install the AppleACPiplatform.kext in my folder there. but not completely sure about that try it though.,

I still have not figured out the function keys

Thanks!!

Ok so I got sound and wake from sleep to work. So that solves two problems. It seems wifi and function keys don't work. So that covers two more of the issues.

Thanks for the tips regarding the wifi cards. Is the wifi really a replaceable card? I thought it would be integrated with the board. If it's just a matter of opening the case and replacing the card, then it should be fairly simple.

Battery meter still won't work even after installing the kexts from the zip file in the OP :-( No idea why.

But the BIGGEST problem left right now is that I can't boot from HDD without the USB. I verified the Chameleon is installed correctly. Iin fact I wiped the whole HDD and did a full reinstall of ML along with Chameleon. Chameleon log says that it installed fine and did not detect any issues (Chameleon 2.1 r2069). So I am at a loss about how to get the HDD to boot :-( Any suggestions? My BIOS version is 206 (and I can't update the BIOS to 212 either coz the BIOS update program does not see the USB drive).

How did you get your HDD to boot? Any info on the config?

Thanks for all the help!

Ok so I updated the bios to 212. Still the exact same issue about booting HDD. I can boot as long as I use the bootable USB but not without it. Both the HDD and the USB have the exact same version of Chameleon installed (2.1 2069).

For people who are able to boot directly to HDD, it will be helpful if you can tell me what settings you have in the BIOS for the "boot option". Also did you install Chameleon to the EFI partition or to the OS X partition? (Mine is installed to the OS X partition).

Thanks!

The battery meter works now. So booting directly to HDD is the only main issue left to solve!

I still do not have HDMI audio working,

you can try maybe following this guide (i have yet to try it so let me know how it goes if you do) (URL Removed)

also for power management and cpu states, use CPUMonitor and it tells you the current frequency your cpu is running at.. So far I can only get 2 CPU states

Thanks for your excellent post and guideline, without your help I can not make my HDMI audio working so soon !

Only two issues remain:

1. mini-VGA display

Using all of your kexts in /S/L/E plus DSDT.aml & etc. in /Extra I can activate both internal LCD and HDMI ports working independently, however, mini-VGA port only works when it's connected on booting. It can not be activated after booting.

No matter whether I have patched AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext or not I always got the same phenomenon.

Do you have any comment about this ?

2. USB 3.0

My BIOS need set XHCI as Auto (if set as Enabled, I can not boot with USB flash.)

After booting System Information's USB showing USB Super-Speed Bus, but no matter what USB 3.0 devices connected it only shows connected with USB High-Speed Bus instead of Super-Speed Bus. So, do you have tested with USB 3.0 device which can connect with Super-Speed Bus ?

Edited by Lejenk
Removed URL

Thanks for your excellent post and guideline, without your help I can not make my HDMI audio working so soon !

Only two issues remain:

1. mini-VGA display

Using all of your kexts in /S/L/E plus DSDT.aml & etc. in /Extra I can activate both internal LCD and HDMI ports working independently, however, mini-VGA port only works when it's connected on booting. It can not be activated after booting.

No matter whether I have patched AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext or not I always got the same phenomenon.

Do you have any comment about this ?

2. USB 3.0

My BIOS need set XHCI as Auto (if set as Enabled, I can not boot with USB flash.)

After booting System Information's USB showing USB Super-Speed Bus, but no matter what USB 3.0 devices connected it only shows connected with USB High-Speed Bus instead of Super-Speed Bus. So, do you have tested with USB 3.0 device which can connect with Super-Speed Bus ?

Since apple doesn't natively support VGA i dont know if its possible to have it detect it without a reboot..

I dont have a usb 3 device to test 3.0 with but i will look into it. Thanks

Thanks! Patch which installer? You mean patch it to work on GPT, right? How do I patch?

Depending on what method you used to make your USB drive it is probably already patched. Try to install on an MBR formatted hard drive, if it lets you then it was already patched..

Hi nhart12

frist off all, thx to your thread installing osx to your zenbook which gives me the inspiration to do this on my samsung series 5, np530u4c-s01

it's nearly the same hardware, except display resolution, additional graphics chip (gt 620) and dvd-rw.

concerning your thread, I'am proud to get my ultrabook working, ML 10.8.2, but with some constraints.

main constraints are appleusbxhci and applehdacontroller.

can you give me some inspiration about my probs. do you have had the same probs about appleusbxhsi and applehdacontroller if you start up.

best regards

P.s. get hd4000 working, gt620 no. usb only if stick is pluged during boot. no sound.....

Depending on what method you used to make your USB drive it is probably already patched. Try to install on an MBR formatted hard drive, if it lets you then it was already patched..

I used the pkg file for latest chameleon (2.1 version 2069). Downloaded directly from the chameleon site.

Wow. Just found this thread. Wish I found it 2 days ago, which I wasted because I couldn't get it to boot off the SSD without the USB drive and finally gave up installing ML on my UX21A (UX31A's little bro). Thank goodness for Windows restore. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend--or at least the weekend after I figure out which wireless card I should get (I guess the USB->LAN would be okay for now, but obviously the Ultrabook is a little less attractive if I had to lug a 50-foot cable around, ha!).

Has anyone been able to install Windows 7 (or even Windows 8) and OS X? I tried formatting using Disk Util with GUID, partition 1 = Mac OS X (60GB), partition 2 = ExFAT (100GB), partition 3 = ExFat for Windows 7 (90GB) (~250GB SSD), but I can't install Windows 7 off of the USB stick unless I install with non UEFI, and then Windows will say (after the first reboot) that it can't support the hardware (I'm pretty sure that's what happened--like I said, it's been 2 days of frustration and very little sleep). I guess if I can get OS X to work, then I really don't need Windows, but it would be nice to run Visio without running Parallels. I don't know if anyone has gotten Bootcamp to work, but I don't know enough about Apple software to know if Bootcamp is even applicable.

BTW I found this thread about the network cards:

(URL Removed)

references this sheet:

https://spreadsheets...=ru&output=html

Hope this helps someone.

-El Jorge

Edited by Lejenk
URL Removed.

Wow. Just found this thread. Wish I found it 2 days ago, which I wasted because I couldn't get it to boot off the SSD without the USB drive and finally gave up installing ML on my UX21A (UX31A's little bro). Thank goodness for Windows restore. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend--or at least the weekend after I figure out which wireless card I should get (I guess the USB->LAN would be okay for now, but obviously the Ultrabook is a little less attractive if I had to lug a 50-foot cable around, ha!).

Has anyone been able to install Windows 7 (or even Windows 8) and OS X? I tried formatting using Disk Util with GUID, partition 1 = Mac OS X (60GB), partition 2 = ExFAT (100GB), partition 3 = ExFat for Windows 7 (90GB) (~250GB SSD), but I can't install Windows 7 off of the USB stick unless I install with non UEFI, and then Windows will say (after the first reboot) that it can't support the hardware (I'm pretty sure that's what happened--like I said, it's been 2 days of frustration and very little sleep). I guess if I can get OS X to work, then I really don't need Windows, but it would be nice to run Visio without running Parallels. I don't know if anyone has gotten Bootcamp to work, but I don't know enough about Apple software to know if Bootcamp is even applicable.

BTW I found this thread about the network cards:

[b](URL Removed)[/b]

references this sheet:

https://spreadsheets...=ru&output=html

Hope this helps someone.

-El Jorge

Yes, you can install and triple boot Windows 7, ML and Ubuntu on the UX32VD using GPT and full UEFI booting using Clover. The trick is that you need the OsxAptioFixDrv found here http://www.projectos...?showtopic=2428 to allow Clover to work with the APTIO based BIOS as the memory maps are a little wonky. Forget Chameleon, its for legacy BIOS and Clover has even more features and its getting more features day by day.

Edited by Lejenk
URL Removed.

Ugh. YES. Clover is the way to go, I (finally) gathered. I guess it makes sense now why: 1. Booted using my beast w/Chamelion USB disk and formatted using GPT and installed ML [All good]; 2: Booted Windows install using the UEFI version of Ultimate x64 [All good--files copied over and expanded]; 3) When Windows installer needed to reboot to finish the install, I used beast w/Chameleon to select the Windows partition so that Windows could finish set-up [Not good-Windows complained about not supporting the hardware because Chamelion boot it into bios mode]?

Anyhoo, it's not explicitly spelled out at the beginning of the thread, and not that I think I kind of know what's going on, but I'm guessing 1) I should GPT the drive first (using beast w/Chamelion)--1 partition each for Mac OS X, Windoze, and shared Data; 2) Install Clover (with the OsxAptioFixDrv from your link); 3) Install ML (throwing in all the kexts except for things I don't have in the UX21A, which I believe is the card reader and the NVidia card; 4) Install W7 (or maybe even W8).

Sound about right?

Ugh. YES. Clover is the way to go, I (finally) gathered. I guess it makes sense now why: 1. Booted using my beast w/Chamelion USB disk and formatted using GPT and installed ML [All good]; 2: Booted Windows install using the UEFI version of Ultimate x64 [All good--files copied over and expanded]; 3) When Windows installer needed to reboot to finish the install, I used beast w/Chameleon to select the Windows partition so that Windows could finish set-up [Not good-Windows complained about not supporting the hardware because Chamelion boot it into bios mode]?

Anyhoo, it's not explicitly spelled out at the beginning of the thread, and not that I think I kind of know what's going on, but I'm guessing 1) I should GPT the drive first (using beast w/Chamelion)--1 partition each for Mac OS X, Windoze, and shared Data; 2) Install Clover (with the OsxAptioFixDrv from your link); 3) Install ML (throwing in all the kexts except for things I don't have in the UX21A, which I believe is the card reader and the NVidia card; 4) Install W7 (or maybe even W8).

Sound about right?

Some of the files should hopefully work on the UX21.. What are the specs on that as far as processor, graphics card(h4000), audio card ?

Im wondering if you have V3 or V4 of the Elan trackpad since it is older.. I bring this up because there is a driver that allows multitouch being developed on one of the other forums, but it only works on V3 so far so maybe you could test that out since I have v4.

I am triple booted as well with Windows, Ubuntu, and OSX, but I am not using the GPT so I cant help you there. I installed Windows first using the MBR map and from the Windows installer I made 2 extra partitions for Ubuntu and OSX.. I then booted from the unibe@st installer on USB (which I think is automatically patched to allow an install on the MBR), and formatted one of the other partitions to HFS and it installed no problem. I loaded chameleon and it detected windows and booted windows just fine. If you install ubuntu just make sure to specify that the grub bootloader is installed to the partition you installed ubuntu on, otherwise it will screw up chameleon.

I am planning on trying Windows 8 soon hopefully I can do so without screwing anything up. Ubuntu is my OS of choice but I need OSX for Xcode and Windows for school if your wondering why I need 3 OS's.

I can add install instructions to the OP but I figured this thread would be more of a get things working thread since there is another thread in the install section for the UX32VD.

Is the SD card reader slot on UX31A working for people? I can't see the card in Disk Utility (but it works fine on a real mac).

No my SD card reader isn't working yet so I will add that to the to-do list. I honestly had forgotten this thing had a card reader until you said something lol.

Hi nhart12

frist off all, thx to your thread installing osx to your zenbook which gives me the inspiration to do this on my samsung series 5, np530u4c-s01

it's nearly the same hardware, except display resolution, additional graphics chip (gt 620) and dvd-rw.

concerning your thread, I'am proud to get my ultrabook working, ML 10.8.2, but with some constraints.

main constraints are appleusbxhci and applehdacontroller.

can you give me some inspiration about my probs. do you have had the same probs about appleusbxhsi and applehdacontroller if you start up.

best regards

P.s. get hd4000 working, gt620 no. usb only if stick is pluged during boot. no sound.....

What audio card is in your laptop? and try pxhcd.kext (search for it) and that may or may not solve your usbxhsi

Some of the files should hopefully work on the UX21.. What are the specs on that as far as processor, graphics card(h4000), audio card ?

Ahh, my friend, I'm glad you asked. The UX21*A* has pretty much the same spec as the UX31A, but it's 11.6 screen. I have the IPS screen, i7, and 256GB SSD. Anandtech wrote a nice review (http://www.anandtech.com/show/5887/asus-zenbook-prime-ux21a-teardown).

Processor: Intel Core i7 3517U Processor, Intel Core i5 3317U Processor

Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Professional,Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, Genuine Windows 7 Home Basic,Chipset: Intel HM76 Express Chipset

Memory: DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM, 4 GB, OnBoard Memory

Display: 11.6" 16:9 HD (1366x768)/IPS FHD (1920x1080)

Graphic: Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000

Storage: SATA III SSD, 128GB/ 256GB

Camera: HD Web Camera *1

Networking: Integrated 802.11 a/b/g/n + BT 4.0 support (on WLAN+ BT 4.0 combo card)*2 -- Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 PCI Express Half Mini Network

Interface: 1 x Headphone-out jack (Audio-in Combo), 2 x USB 3.0 port(s), 1 x micro HDMI, 1 x Mini VGA*3

Audio: Built-in Speakers And Microphone

Bang & Olufsen ICEpower

Battery: 35 Whrs Polymer Battery

Power Adapter:

Output: 19 V DC, A, 45 W

Input: 100 -240 V AC, 50/60 Hz universal

Dimensions: 299 x 196.8 x 3 ~17 mm (WxDxH)

Weight: 1.1 kg

I'm going to see what happens with GPT, and maybe install Windows 8 instead. GOod the know the sequence, though I thought it didn't matter which was installed first.

Yes, you can install and triple boot Windows 7, ML and Ubuntu on the UX32VD using GPT and full UEFI booting using Clover. The trick is that you need the OsxAptioFixDrv found here http://www.projectos...?showtopic=2428 to allow Clover to work with the APTIO based BIOS as the memory maps are a little wonky. Forget Chameleon, its for legacy BIOS and Clover has even more features and its getting more features day by day.

I tried to install Clover but it doesn't work even in MBR mode. I get stuck at rEFIT legacy boot blue line and then it just sits there. What exactly did you do to get Clover to work? (I have UX31A not UX32VD...but it seems that they are mostly similar.)

I tried to install Clover but it doesn't work even in MBR mode. I get stuck at rEFIT legacy boot blue line and then it just sits there. What exactly did you do to get Clover to work? (I have UX31A not UX32VD...but it seems that they are mostly similar.)

Forget MBR mode as that is not what Clover is all about. I wasn't able to get Clover to work in MBR mode either. The trick is you must format the Clover USB boot media as GPT so it creates the FAT32 system partition where Clover will live. When booting the media, select UEFI:... from the boot menu and then the UEFI run-time will be used to boot. The same goes for booting and installing Windows and Linux as well, select the UEFI option and then everything will play nicely...almost. Make a backup of the FAT32 system partition before each install as I did have OSX delete the contents of this during install (Bad Apple!) of 10.8 (10.8.2 seemed to be fixed?), but in theory if the OEM implements the standard correctly, you should be able to install multiple OS's without them stepping on each other like in the old MBR world where there can be only one booter.

I am using chameleon on the MBR not clover so I cant help you with that.

I tried to use your new DSDT and AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri.kext but then I lost audio. I had to revert back to the last-known-good state to get the audio working again. Audio works with patched AppleHDA and IOAudioFamily kexts.

You most likely did not lose audio, when you used my newer DSDT it enabled HDMI audio so you probably just had to go into audio settings to set it to use the speakers and not HDMI out for audio. When using HDMI out it takes away all the audio controls and you must adjust audio from the device itself. Try it again and let me know.

You most likely did not lose audio, when you used my newer DSDT it enabled HDMI audio so you probably just had to go into audio settings to set it to use the speakers and not HDMI out for audio. When using HDMI out it takes away all the audio controls and you must adjust audio from the device itself. Try it again and let me know.

Tried it again. Now I have the same files as the ones attached to the OP and it seems to be working. But how do I know if HDMI works? (I don't have anything with HDMI to connect to). I don't see HDMI in the sound properties...only internal speakers.

1. So I started fresh, and in GParted, I deleted all the partitions in on my ADATA 256 GB SSD and created a GPT disk with the following partitions (sizes are approximate):

- 90 GB: Windows 8 (FAT32 - I later let Windows 8 installed delete this partition and create what it wanted, as it wasn't going to install otherwise).

- 64 GB: Mac OS (FAT32 - again, I'll let OS X delete this partition and create what it wants during install)

- 100 GB: Data (NTFS--I figured I would put data on this partition and would be able to access my pictures, etc. when booted into either OS)

2. Installed Windows 8 using UEFI and GPT, during which the 90 GB partition turned into:

*: Recovery - NTFS 300 MB

*: (unnamed) - FAT32 100 MB (EFI System Partition)

*: (unnamed) - Other 128 MB (Reserved Partition--Presumably MS Reserved Partition)

C: (unnamed) - NTFS 86 GB (Windows 8 install)

I'm at the stage where I'm about to install OS X, and have a few questions:

1. Once I install OS X, do I put the Kexts from the first post in the Mac OS partition (/System/Library/Extensions folder) or in my Clover USB (/EFI/kexts/)? Are there any kexts I need to delete from the Mac OS Partition?

Edit: NM regarding the first part, I read more into the kext injection section and I'll try to put it into the appropriate Clover USB folder first--most likely EFI\kexts\10.8 folder.

2. Do I replace the config.plist in /EFI folder with the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file that's in the "UX31A-Extra" attachment from the first post? (I know to put the DSDT and SSDT's in the /EFI/ACPI/patched folder).

3. I presume the SMBios.plist file isn't necessary for UEFI? If so, where does it go?

Played around with creating a Clover USB, and haven't been successful with the UEFI set-up. The BIOS approach has previously worked when I was playing with the failed attempt (when I was trying to install OS X and Windows 7) where I can see the "menu" of icons to select a boot OS option. Doesn't the latest Clover package have OsxAptioFixDrv? I saw that option in the install and selected it, should I download a different version of it, like the one you have in your link above? I presume once I get this working, I'll copy what's on my Clover USB to the EFI partition per the "UEFI boot with Clover.rtf" instructions on the Clover USB.