10.8.2 Final! (C54)

mitch_de

128 posts in this topic

Hi, Lulighttec!

Add NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and unixservice ACPI rollback to your S/L/E and boot with the flag npci=0x2000 (preferentially add the flag to your org.chameleon.boot.plist). You shouldn't have removed the oemSMBIOS driver: that's a bad advice from Tony's.

Please report back if you can, for us to know if it worked.

P.S.: Just for you to know sometimes the PCI Begin thing is not a real freeze, but just a loss of console output: if you take time, perhaps your system successfully boots in the end.

Hi, going to try it in just a second, but before I go adding in NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, I just want to make sure it's absolutely necessary, because I followed directions building my DSDT that told me specifically *not* to use that kext. (Refer to this post: http://www.insanelym...-and-xps-m1730/). Also, thanks for reminding me about the PCI Configuration Begin thing, but I figure after an hour of waiting, it isn't going to boot. :-)

Thanks,

LULightTec

Hi, going to try it in just a second, but before I go adding in NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, I just want to make sure it's absolutely necessary, because I followed directions building my DSDT that told me specifically *not* to use that kext. (Refer to this post: http://www.insanelym...-and-xps-m1730/). Also, thanks for reminding me about the PCI Configuration Begin thing, but I figure after an hour of waiting, it isn't going to boot. :-)

Thanks,

LULightTec

Ok, so, I tried running the update package, then installing the rollback ACPI kext *before* rebooting. That did make a difference, in that now, instead of a kernel panic, it just hangs on the PCI Configuration thing, regardless of safe boot, normal boot, npci=[insert value here], doesn't matter... just hangs at that point. The only thing I didn't add was NullCPUPowerManagement, because I didn't get an answer to my last inquiry about it. Since I have written my DSDT and configured my boot plist to use P-states and C-states, and since the DSDT tutorial advised me not to use it, I didn't want to put it in. Let me know if you want new screen shots.

Thanks,

LULightTec

can anyone please upload an 10.8.2 compatible alc 889a applehda kext ?

mine stopped working...

I uploaded set of AppleHDA (unpached/ vanilla + changed 2 .zlib xlm files) - Yoy only need to copy those 2 (added/changed) files layout12.xml.zlib and Platforms.xml.zlib if HDA get upates in the future.

Also install the ALC885HDA.kext (used for 889a) and remove any othter(older) HDA injection kext.

Install both using kext wizard or other tool which installs with right owner (root:wheel) + rebuild kernelcache.

You need to use ID12 (0Chex) in ypur HDEF dsdt! (Most/some will use 885ID in their HDEF, isnt working anymore with ML)

HDEF dsdt part looks like:

Store (Package (0x04)

{

"layout-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

},

"PinConfigurations",

Buffer (Zero) {}

}, Local0)

HDA889A_ID12_10.8.2.zip

not changing kexts at all ?

that must be using apple's native hardware :weight_lift:

I deleted FakeSMC before updating it once, and it was almost a week of running with just appleHDA and my DSDT, before I realized It hadn't been reinstalled. Shutdowns were a bit slower, but otherwise it ran fine and I doubt appleHDA was keeping it afloat.

I deleted FakeSMC before updating it once, and it was almost a week of running with just appleHDA and my DSDT, before I realized It hadn't been reinstalled. Shutdowns were a bit slower, but otherwise it ran fine and I doubt appleHDA was keeping it afloat.

You're running your hack without fakesmc ?

Updated a Dell Studio Slim 504s with an nVidia 210 Silent 1GB. I use GraphicsEnabler="YES". System successfully boots sometimes but I get weird graphics glitches and the computer froze a few times necessitating a reboot with the main switch. I do have the latest CUDA drivers installed.

I updated the computer in my signature through the app store and everything I have tested works perfectly so far. It has an nVidia GTX 260, latest CUDA drivers, and it works fine with GraphicsEnabler="YES". I deleted AppleHDA and use VoodooHDA and sound works.

Any idea on the graphics front what could be causing the glitches and freezes? I'm thinking of going back to an EFI String.

More likely running without rebuilding the kextcache that still contains fakesmc...

LOL.

EDIT: Updated the Nvidia drivers to the latest version that was released. Updated CUDA drivers as well. Now everything seems to work.

Did you update via App Store, Xanthrax? With my system was just the same: error message but everything worked as expected after reboot.

Yes, I did. I think it could not move the receipt. Nothing bad. I rolled bad ACPIPlatform.kext just in case. Everything is fine.

It seems to me that most people who have KP problem such that they have to roll back AppleACPI.kext are those with newer Intel boards that deviate so far from Apple's implementation. FakeSMC has evolved over the years to accommodate this but since 10.8.2 is slightly different. I hope, and I think the author of FakeSMC will figure out a more novel way of tackling this dilemma. For me I am still using the old P45 chipset and have never experienced any ill effects.

Nevertheless, I am considering an complete upgrade to a new system, so I have to follow this development closely.

A survey of users of different motherboard along with chipset specifics may help guide people. Furthermore, I find graphic chipsets are more bothersome than ACPI conformity. I have several machines and a variety of NVidia and AMD cards that affect booting a great deal. On the surface, AMD kexts have to be modified correctly for the card to boot. Yet for NVidia cards, kexts are not modifiable anymore, mostly. If one has an old card that falls under the support of earlier Macs, as long as not omitted by ML, then it's OK. Maybe the situation will change shortly when Apple adopts newer Keppler family. For now, AMD is a little easier to handle, I think.

Hey i have 2 systems (ga z77x-up5 th) with the same cfg except the cpu. when update to 10.8.2

i3770 = ACPIPlatform.kext roll back required. ( if i disable vt-d in the bios then rollback not necessary)

i3770k = ACPIPlatform.kext rollback not necessary, why ? becos there is no option to enable vt-d in the bios

read somewhere apple only enable vt-d on certain macpro series ....

• Like 1

Ok, so, I tried running the update package, then installing the rollback ACPI kext *before* rebooting. That did make a difference, in that now, instead of a kernel panic, it just hangs on the PCI Configuration thing, regardless of safe boot, normal boot, npci=[insert value here], doesn't matter... just hangs at that point. The only thing I didn't add was NullCPUPowerManagement, because I didn't get an answer to my last inquiry about it. Since I have written my DSDT and configured my boot plist to use P-states and C-states, and since the DSDT tutorial advised me not to use it, I didn't want to put it in. Let me know if you want new screen shots.

Thanks,

LULightTec

I don't even have a Vt option in my bios... I did roll back the kext, but I keep getting hung on the PCI configuration.

It seems to me that most people who have KP problem such that they have to roll back AppleACPI.kext are those with newer Intel boards that deviate so far from Apple's implementation. FakeSMC has evolved over the years to accommodate this but since 10.8.2 is slightly different. I hope, and I think the author of FakeSMC will figure out a more novel way of tackling this dilemma. For me I am still using the old P45 chipset and have never experienced any ill effects.

Nevertheless, I am considering an complete upgrade to a new system, so I have to follow this development closely.

A survey of users of different motherboard along with chipset specifics may help guide people. Furthermore, I find graphic chipsets are more bothersome than ACPI conformity. I have several machines and a variety of NVidia and AMD cards that affect booting a great deal. On the surface, AMD kexts have to be modified correctly for the card to boot. Yet for NVidia cards, kexts are not modifiable anymore, mostly. If one has an old card that falls under the support of earlier Macs, as long as not omitted by ML, then it's OK. Maybe the situation will change shortly when Apple adopts newer Keppler family. For now, AMD is a little easier to handle, I think.

But AMD's cards cannot get proper AGPM working.

Hey i have 2 systems (ga z77x-up5 th) with the same cfg except the cpu. when update to 10.8.2

i3770 = ACPIPlatform.kext roll back required. ( if i disable vt-d in the bios then rollback not necessary)

i3770k = ACPIPlatform.kext rollback not necessary, why ? becos there is no option to enable vt-d in the bios

read somewhere apple only enable vt-d on certain macpro series ....

thanks for the info.

Hi,

Maybe this will help someone: I updated to 10.8.2 via combo updater, but couldn't boot past the gray startup screen, because of OemSMBIOS.kext. After replacing AppleACPIPlatform.kext with the old one from a previous post in this (or an other) thread, my system booted without any problems.

Now, as I really don't like having legacy kexts on my system, I tried out various methods to allow me to keep the vanilla 10.8.2 AppleACPIPlatform.kext. The solution was quite easy and had a nice benefit to it. I installed Kozleks branch of FakeSMC + optional Kexts for sensors:

https://github.com/kozlek/HWSensors

Not only can I now boot with the original 10.8.2 AppleACPIPlatform.kext, without having OemSMBIOS.kext throwing an error, but I also get much more information from my hardware sensors opposed to the original FlakeSMC-Plugins I had been using. Furthermore a serial number is generated for my machine (so no problems with iCloud and Appstore) and VT-d can stay enabled in BIOS!

Using the kexts from Kozlek was a win-win for me - thanks Kozlek!!!

icon_e_smile.gif

• Like 1