Dell Inspiron 17R Notebook (Inspiron 7720) - Can run Mac OS X

Coasterghost

200 posts in this topic

I receive this and it stops "com_lnx2mac_realtekrtl81xx" I have Dell Inspiron 7520( 5520 special edition) Help please

I just bought the Inspiron 15 R SE 7520.

Managed to partially install it, but because I am so new to the hackintosh, I didn't know the right steps.

In my case, installing ML.

Here goes:

1) create the installer boot stick

2) inject the following kexts

2870-DP3.kexts.zip

2870-PXHCDv1.0.8.kext.zip

(these two all from here http://www.osx86.net...do=file&id=2870)

PS2 kexts.zip

(from http://www.insanelym...1)

the first 2 to allow the use of USB 3.0, hence eliminating the "waiting for root device"

the last for the inbuild keyboard and trackpad.

3)Install as usual (partitioning, bla,bla as per this guide

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=280756

Edit: boot using parameter -v GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=0

I got it installed and boot to usb again and select the OS disk , which is a wrong step.

I must do this with the Kexts (as per the guide)

3.B Fixing the OS X install

1. From the installer go to Utilities and Terminal.

2. Type cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext /Volumes/"OS X"/System/Library/Extensions/

3. Type cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext /Volumes/"OS X"/System/Library/Extensions/

3b. Type cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/<those kexts> /Volumes/"OS X"/System/Library/Extensions/

4. Type reboot

I was too stupid to think once I injected the kexts to the installer USB, it will get installed to the HDD during install.

So, this is where I stop today.

I will continue with more (DSDT stuff) once I get further.

Edit: Continue

Ok, I am supposed to put the Essential stuff from the guide linked to above.

Unzipped them into the installer USB stick,

I boot from USB but select the HDD, successfully boot into and continue with the install/setup with keyboard and trackpad working.

So far so good.

As per the guide,

Part 4 – Booting ML

1. Reboot your system and boot to the USB stick again but this time select your OS X install. This should boot you into your installed copy of ML.

2. Open "System Preferences" go-to "Security and Privacy", click the lock and give it your password then set "Allow applications downloaded from" to anywhere.

3. Navigate to your folder of essential software and run the chameleon package, install it to your OS X drive.

4. Copy the Extra folder on your USB drive to the root of your HDD (open Finder -> Go -> Computer -> OS X -> paste folder).

5. Reboot and let the computer boot from your HDD, select OS X and it should boot straight to ML.

No, didn't happen.

I get

boot0: GPT

boot0: test

boot0: GPT

boot0: error

I read that this could be due the 4K sector disk, I have a 1TB WD disk in the Inspiron,

so now testing this method:

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=278198

so, using my ubuntu netbook boot usb, I did the dd command

done, reboot and get a proper boot greeting,

supplied the -v GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=0

Ok, I need more readings, or if anyone can help.

1) when boot from USB stick and choose my HDD, I boot with working trackpad and keyboard, but when boot off HDD, trackpad is not working. How is this explained?

2) My ethernet card is detected and has mac address, but I can't connect to my LAN. Neither DHCP nor manually set. I need to sniff the traffic but pulling my hair now

3) DSDT Editor can't run, need Java, and I have no network. Stressed...

How did you manager to get through all the errors? I injected the kexts but get stuck at "com_lnx2mac_realtekrtl81xx" which is the enthernet,so I disabled integrated NIC from BIOS and got stuck at "DSMOS has arrived" which is the last message on the screen.I have the same laptop

I'm very new to hackintosh, but I would suggest this in case of Kext problem:

1) Enter in Safe Boot mode (-x)

2) Identify and uninstall the problematic kexts.

3) Try to reboot normally.

4) If it works, try to install another kext for your hardware.

For the NIC in Inspiron 7520, I found that the lnx2mac works almost fine, but you should install the file available on his site - I had problem with versions from packages.

I'm very new to hackintosh, but I would suggest this in case of Kext problem:

1) Enter in Safe Boot mode (-x)

2) Identify and uninstall the problematic kexts.

3) Try to reboot normally.

4) If it works, try to install another kext for your hardware.

For the NIC in Inspiron 7520, I found that the lnx2mac works almost fine, but you should install the file available on his site - I had problem with versions from packages.

Hello Celtic9,

I finally got into the setup screen.The reason why I got stuck at "com_lnx2mac_realtekrtl81xx" was cause I used U ni bea st and checked "Laptop support" option to be installed and I believe that option caused the issue.So,if anyone has the same laptop Dell Inspiron 7520 (15r Special Edition) don`t check the legacy option or the laptop support option in Un i be ast.(writing that word like this cause it will get marked with X`s if I write it as a whole).I also managed to inject kexts with kext wizard.I did all this through a Lion vmWare virtual machine.

I did not install Mountain Lion yet cause I have to make a partition for it and when I shrank one of my 4 partitions just to make a new one I got a message which states the fact that I have to convert the disc to "Dynamic Disk".I read that MBR or Windows 7 supports only 4 partitions.Probably I will get rid of the Dell Utility partition.Does anyone know where on dell`s site can I find that utility in case I need it to put it back ?

I did not install Mountain Lion yet cause I have to make a partition for it and when I shrank one of my 4 partitions just to make a new one I got a message which states the fact that I have to convert the disc to "Dynamic Disk".I read that MBR or Windows 7 supports only 4 partitions.Probably I will get rid of the Dell Utility partition.Does anyone know where on dell`s site can I find that utility in case I need it to put it back ?

I had this trouble before. My solution is to convert the disk into GPT partition scheme, create as many partition as I wish, and then create hybrid MBR to specify which four partitions visible to Windows. I found it useful to create a small EFI partition as the first partition too.

This is not an easy task. Converting from MBR to GPT means massive backup and restore. Any single error will mess you up. I would suggest you only to do this if you really wanted to.

Be reminded that hybrid MBR is a sort of temporary solution, some critics happened on it. It works for my case anyway.

FYI, clonezilla is a very good backup/restore solution. gparted live is capable to create hybrid MBR and is a good partitioning tool. They are both free.

Hi everybody!

My 7720 arrived today. I tried to install hackintosh even before booting up Windows 8 :)

I ran into QE/CI problem. I have the 3D model and seems that the system cannot recognise its HD4000 video (under System Info - Graphics section). I heard somebody saying that 650m always kicks in for this 3D variant.

Will the DSDT tweak works? Your help is pretty much appreciated!

Hi everybody!

My 7720 arrived today. I tried to install hackintosh even before booting up Windows 8 :)

I ran into QE/CI problem. I have the 3D model and seems that the system cannot recognise its HD4000 video (under System Info - Graphics section). I heard somebody saying that 650m always kicks in for this 3D variant.

Will the DSDT tweak works? Your help is pretty much appreciated!

My PC is 3D edition too.Have you successed?

Still struggling with QE/CI.

I saw bdmesg reported the card correctly as Dell NVidia 650m 2GB RAM. But the system still cannot use it. I hoped to use HD4000 but it simply does not exist at System Info at all.

The system will definitely hang at startup when GeForce.kext is there. If I remove it, it will reports NVDGK100Hal loaded. Apparently the system is up because I saw the harddisk indicator and my wifi adapter running. It remains in the text-based boot screen and seems that the GUI can't be loaded onto the screen. If I further remove NVDGK100Hal.kext, it boots without QE/CI and System Info reported 0MB video RAM and using BIOS rom.

I tried ThibaultAnd's thread's DSDT edited by Rampage Dev and it will show the card with 3GB RAM (?), still no screen with NVDGK100Hal's presence.

Still seeking for hopes from DSDT edit or UEFI boot. I am using Legacy boot right now.

Dell N7110

Core i7 2670 2.2Ghz

4GB Ram

NVIDIA GeForce Go GT525M

Intel HD3000

I'm installing iAtkos L2 Lion

Checked:

bootloader : Chameleon 2.0

bootloader options : Built-in-Ethernet , Cpu Throttler , Original Apple Boot Logo

Patches : FakeSMC , Disabler , RTC , IOPCIFamily

Drivers : AHCI Sata intel , USB , USB 3.0 , MotherBoard Sensors , PS/2

-s

typing -s to enter single user mode.

once on root typing:

mount -uw /

cd /System/Library/Extensions

mkdir IntelBack

mv AppleIntelHD* IntelBack/

mv AppleIntelSNB* IntelBack/

exit

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi to all, as i see you have succesfully install 10.8 mac os... can someone post the exact steps on how to and the exact files needed so we can install this beloved system to? I have the dell 7720 SE and im trying many nights an days but with no result.... Thanks in advance...

I'm deleting my previous post when i have finished typing this one.

Yesterday i managed to get my audio working bij patching the AppleHDA and DSDT. So in all my excitement i started posting all the files i needed for my system. This included a buggy DSDT and SSDT.

So today i rebuild the DSDT and SSDT, and i must say, i'm pretty satisfied with the result.

What is working at the moment:

- Audio (AppleHDA + DSDT edit) (Speakers/Built-in Mic/Line in/Line out)

- HD4000 Graphics (EFI string)

- Sleep/Wake (SSDT + patched IntelCPUPowerManagement, no need for NullCPUP....kext)

- Touchpad (Only the basic, no extras. Modified ApplePS2Controller)

- FN Keys (DSDT Edit, only the sound keys)

- Masstorage devices (USB keys etc... USB Rollback)

- Wifi (Replaced with an Atheros AR9285, modified IO80211Family)

- Running 10.8.2

Speedstep should work, i have not confirmed this yet, will when i have tested this, if not, well, yet another challenge.

So first of, for the audio, you need to add the following to your DSDT file:

Device (HDEF)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x0A)
{
"built-in",
Buffer (One)
{
0x01
},
"device-type",
Buffer (0x0F)
{
"IDT 92HD91BXX"
},
"hda-gfx",
Buffer (0x0A)
{
"onboard-1"
},
"layout-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
},
"PinConfigurations",
Buffer (Zero) {}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}

Then install the attached AppleHDA with kexthelper or something, to /System/Library/Extensions.

If the sound chip differs from mine, i have the IDT 92HD91BXX, you can use the following guide to patch your AppleHDA and create the right DSDT entries:

http://www.insanelym...-idt-92hd91bxx/

For the HD4000 graphics to work, you need to add the following lines to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist:

<key>device-properties</key>
<string>7f0000000100000001000000730000000200000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff04002c0000004100410050004c002c00690067002d0070006c006100740066006f0072006d002d006900640000000800000004006601140000006800640061002d0067006600780000000d0000006f6e626f6172642d32</string>

After the edit it should look similar to this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>RestartFix</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>7f0000000100000001000000730000000200000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff04002c0000004100410050004c002c00690067002d0070006c006100740066006f0072006d002d006900640000000800000004006601140000006800640061002d0067006600780000000d0000006f6e626f6172642d32</string>
</dict>
</plist>

The sleep/wake, well, i used 2 scripts for this to get this to work. All is described in the following topic:

I attached the SSDT and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. Remember to delete the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and edit your org.chameleon.boot.plist like this:

<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>No</string>

The touchpad, well enough solutions in this topic, attached the ApplePS2Controller, copy it to Extra/Extensions.

USB Rollback kexts are also attached, install them to /System/Library/Extensions.

Benchmark could be worse: http://browser.prima...kbench2/1542580

EDIT: Had some trouble with the use kernelcache option in the boot.plist, so i modified it and replaced the attachment. Small increase in boot time now.

EDIT2: Added a new AppleHDA, sound dropped completely when moving the slider down, should be fixed now.

Edit3: Been batch processing video conversion for about 24 hours now, cpu load has been 90% all the time, still no performance loss. Laptop runs a little hot, but it's stable.

Schermafbeelding_2013_01_19_om_01_02_46.png

ApplePS2Controller.zip

DSDT.zip

FakeSMC.zip

IOUSBFamily.zip

IOUSBMassStorageClass.zip

SMBios.zip

SSDT.zip

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.zip

org.chameleon.Boot.zip

AppleHDA_V0.2.zip

• Like 1

Can anyone perhaps fix the AppleHDa to support the mic line in?

Tried various kexts for the cardreader, even tried to patch my own, followed some guide for the applestoragedrivers, no succes yet.

If anyone already has a solution for the above, then please post them.

Created a display override to inject some descent info in the about this mac screen.

Schermafbeelding_2013_01_21_om_14_47_43.png

Attached the override, copy the folder to /System/Library/Display/Overrides.

A guide on how to create your own: http://www.insanelym...splay-problems/

If you don't like the name, open the file inside the folder with text editor, and edit the following:

<key>DisplayProductName</key>
<string>17" LCD Display</string>

PS: 384mb is because of my smbios.plist i'm currently using.

DisplayVendorID-dae.zip

Wow, I've been away from the forum for a while and Lejenk makes huge advancements! Thanks for sharing!

I came back to share with Inspiron SE owners a discovery I found: an Elantech driver that make the trackpad works as a trackpad, with gestures and everything!

Here's the link for the Kext: http://www.tonymacx86.com/laptop-compatibility/74051-elantech-touchpad-driver-mac-osx.html

• Like 1

Wow, I've been away from the forum for a while and Lejenk makes huge advancements! Thanks for sharing!

I came back to share with Inspiron SE owners a discovery I found: an Elantech driver that make the trackpad works as a trackpad, with gestures and everything!

Here's the link for the Kext: http://www.tonymacx8...er-mac-osx.html

Restoring some data from within Windows at the moment, made a formatting mistake, don't ask.

Thanks for the compliment and share, will try the Elan fix out as soon as i can.

Lejenk,

I have tried your DSDT edit for AppleHDA; somehow I couldn't manage to make it work. It seems your code on this thread is missing some brackets, and I couldn't find this edit inside the file you shared.

Would you mind looking into it?

Lejenk,

I have tried your DSDT edit for AppleHDA; somehow I couldn't manage to make it work. It seems your code on this thread is missing some brackets, and I couldn't find this edit inside the file you shared.

Would you mind looking into it?

The edit can be found on line 7787 in DSDT Editor. Search for HDEF, the search is case-sensitive.

Can you make a codec dump? http://www.insanelym...x/#entry1861876 (5th post)

Also a thing i noticed after reinstalling OSX, i do not need the usb rollback kexts anymore, massstorage seems to work out of the box now for me.

The Elan driver does not work for me.

EDIT: Attached my current DSDT. Not much changes since the previous one. Still have a remark, that i fixed before, screwed up, so lost that dsdt.

Will rebuild the dsdt from scratch, to fix the last errors i can not fix anymore on the current one.

DSDT.aml.zip