Inside the 24 inch iMac

Caslon

210 posts in this topic

Installed it. It boots faster. I used CCC to clone the Maxtor. So far so good.

I'm thinking about doing the same to my IMAC 17 C2D 2GHZ. It only has a 160? GB Hard drive and one of those 500GB drives would be perfect. I've taken apart Ibooks and Powerbooks before (to change the HD). How hard is this to do, and do you have any good links or info on how to take it apart?

Many many thanks!

Hi all,

This is a really interesting thread, thanks especially to Caslon for posting your findings.

One quick question though, I'm in the process of buying a 24" iMac and trying to figure out if spending the extra cash to upgrade to a 7600 is worth it.

Based on the lack of success in getting anything other than the shipped MXM card working in OS/X so far, is it sensible to opt for the most powerful card now assuming that's it for upgrades, or is there confidence that a higher spec MXM would work and I'll should save my cash for a better card in the future?

I'm sure I can live with the 7300 for a year or so, as long as there is a good chance I can upgrade to a 7950 or so then..

Any thoughts?

M.

Hey folks, great topic.

I'm hoping someone can help me out. Im afraid that during some holiday travels my 24" imac took a bit of a hit while in the custody of baggage handlers. ...too big for carry-on, and I needed to take it with me, so into the check luggage it went. anyways, the upper left edge got a bit bashed and though is was in a suitably-sized iLugger, the case cracked and one piece broke of as shown in the pic.

post-76278-1168837174_thumb.jpg

Much to my relief, it seemed that everything was working just fine despite this damage. But now that I have returned home from the holidays, I find that I no longer seem to be able to share my internet through my airport card. My laptop detects the signal until I try to connect to it, a which point it says the signal is gone...

I'm wondering where within the 24" iMac the wireless antenna is located? If it's along the edge(s) of the case, it may have been damaged after all.

Thanks to anyone with info or ideas.

Question number one. Get the upgrade from Apple. It's cheap and worth it.

Question number two. The module is about the size of an iPode nano screen and is located on the bottom right hand side of the iMac. Very easy to get to. Also the plastic is very easy to change as well.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey folks, great topic.

I'm hoping someone can help me out. Im afraid that during some holiday travels my 24" imac took a bit of a hit while in the custody of baggage handlers. ...too big for carry-on, and I needed to take it with me, so into the check luggage it went. anyways, the upper left edge got a bit bashed and though is was in a suitably-sized iLugger, the case cracked and one piece broke of as shown in the pic.

post-76278-1168837174_thumb.jpg

Much to my relief, it seemed that everything was working just fine despite this damage. But now that I have returned home from the holidays, I find that I no longer seem to be able to share my internet through my airport card. My laptop detects the signal until I try to connect to it, a which point it says the signal is gone...

I'm wondering where within the 24" iMac the wireless antenna is located? If it's along the edge(s) of the case, it may have been damaged after all.

Thanks to anyone with info or ideas.

wow, that sucks. i would take action against the airline, those are expensive as hell. as 4 the wireless antenna, i think it is in da middle

Hi, Calson I'd like to thank you for posting all those pictures of the 24" iMac, it was a really helpful reference point for when I took mine apart.

I was wondering if you know the maxtor serial #'s for the 500GB's people found in there BTO iMac's or if you can recommend me one that’s quiet. I had purchased a Maxtor MaXLine Pro 500 7H500F0 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive and I'll say it's pretty loud sitting behind the LCD.

Thanks for your help.

Retiring a harddrive because of noise is really rather wasteful, don't you think?

I'll probably use the 500GB maxtor as the back up drive, but it is really annoying especially if you have a computer thats relativly silent and all you can here is the drive working. >_<

I just took apart my G5 iMac iSight version to clean all the dust out dropped the temps near 10c! whats the temps btw? I am running at 53c idle....

I don't have the exact link right now, but if you use search on the macrumors.com forum theres a post your temp thread in the pictures section I believe, so you should be able to compare your temp to others.

None of the iMac line use SATA 300 controllers. They do however use SATA 300 drives.

One more upgrade to 20" incher that did not work was the wireless N card. Even though I changed the card and the processor, the EFI info will not allow the install of the enabler software.

I just added a Seagate 750 Gig again and it is faster than the 500. Stick with the 750 if you can....

With the previous Seagate (ST3500641AS) you had in there, was it for the most part silent compared the the 500GB Maxtors? Also are you using the 7200.10 750GB Seagate if so, is it pretty loud? I've read online that the 500GB 7200.9 is louder than the 500GB 7200.10.

And if you are using the 7200.10 750GB I can see why you are seeing an increase in speed between the previous 500GB Seagate you were using which was a 7200.9.

Also, I was wondering if anyone noticed with the 24" iMac when backing up a dvd to say codec H.246 that the power supply got into temperatures around 170~180 degrees fahrenheit (76~82 Celcius) even with an ambient temperature of 60~80 degrees fahrenheit (15~26 degrees celcius).

Edited by nateDEEZY

My Seagate is alot less noisy than the original Maxtor.

As far as the Power Supply goes, I have never had a major increase in heat even doing a burn in conjuction woth a major FireWire transfer. Check with Apple and make sure you did not get a bad PS. I have 3 of the 24 inchers now and even running Vista Benching for 24 hours did not produce that kind of heat.

My Seagate is alot less noisy than the original Maxtor.

As far as the Power Supply goes, I have never had a major increase in heat even doing a burn in conjuction woth a major FireWire transfer. Check with Apple and make sure you did not get a bad PS. I have 3 of the 24 inchers now and even running Vista Benching for 24 hours did not produce that kind of heat.

Tonight I'll test it while I burn a dvd, and do firewire transfers. But it seems it only reaches those temperatures when using the optical drive for more than 1/2 hour and pulling energy from the power supply as well as using compenents that are usb bus powered. Doesn't seem like it happens when doing cpu load intensive task.

Well while watching HDTV via eyeTV and encoding a previously recorded 720p broadcast to burn to dvd temperatures reached around 160 degrees fahrenheit and while burning the dvd it hit about 172 degrees fahrenheit... Customer Service told me it was normal while drawing power from other devices optical drive/eyetv and they said normal is like around 130degrees fahrenheit...

bleh, those temps still kinda worry me >_<