Introduce yourself.

Alessandro17
5,224 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

I just signed up too. And although I failed test #2 (I never studied computer science), I do have experience building a system--I did it 3 years ago. I'm a 14-year Mac user, having bought my first one, an iMac G4 800MHz 17" in the summer of '02, a beautiful machine I still have in a closet, regrettably. I haven't been without a Mac since, though only MacBook Pros since 2008, and I'm wanting to build a Hackintosh so I can have a powerful desktop . . .

Oddly though, I've only ever edited video on Windows, in Sony Vegas, and it's all I know (the friend who taught me how to edit video is a Win user), so to that end, I built my first PC in July '13 (4770K, GTX660, 16GB RAM, etc.) strictly for editing video in Sony Vegas, which is only a hobby for me. Since I do it only intermittently, in hindsight, building that machine was kind of a waste of money because I rarely use it and am generally always on my MBP, even though it was a process I enjoyed and learned a lot from

Now that I feel the urge to do a build again, I'd like to do it as a Hackintosh, for two main reasons:

1. I am on a Mac 99% of the time, so why would I build a Windows machine? Especially when I already have a good one.

2. I've really just always wanted a powerful Mac desktop and could never bring myself to dropping the cash to make it happen, especially after having coughed up for several of Apple's more expensive, high-end laptops.

So I'm hoping to build a dual boot setup this time so I can just do everything on the one new desktop. I'll boot in to Windows when I want to edit a video in Vegas and I'll be on the Mac side all the rest of the time. And I'll get rid of my old system.

I won't start for a few months just because I want to take the time to read everything I can to feel like I know how to do it, so I'm here to learn, but I hope to contribute at some point too.

But first thing's first; I need to pay that darn quiz #2. :lol:

Hi from New Zealand, the bottom of the world. I'm Pete

I'm an old man (57) who likes a challenge. Architect by trade and I've been hackintoshing my work computers instead of drawing for the last 2 weeks.

So far I've done the laptop (easy), got my X99 Xeon 2690 (12 core) working but only in safe mode. I think it's the R9 390x so I might get another card just for the install.

Finally, I.ve nearly got my X99 5960x to boot to install, but again, the GPU - R9 Nano is definitely not helping.

Anyway, insanely mac has been a huge help! Thanks guys.

Hi from New Zealand, the bottom of the world. I'm Pete

I'm an old man (57) who likes a challenge. Architect by trade and I've been hackintoshing my work computers instead of drawing for the last 2 weeks.

So far I've done the laptop (easy), got my X99 Xeon 2690 (12 core) working but only in safe mode. I think it's the R9 390x so I might get another card just for the install.

Finally, I.ve nearly got my X99 5960x to boot to install, but again, the GPU - R9 Nano is definitely not helping.

Anyway, insanely mac has been a huge help! Thanks guys.

hey there, mate! welcome!

Hello @Allan, welcome to InsanelyMac. :P

• Like 2

I want to say all here. I'm new to hackintosh, and built one thanks to member's posts here.

Weclome to InsaenlyMac.  Have a good stay, and remember to read the rules, and pass both quizzes. :)

Hi all

I bought my first Mac, a Mac 512, in 1987 and had a score of different Macs since then. Currently I have a Mini which is extremely disappointing. There is no Mac corresponding to my needs in Apple's line and I doubt there'll be any in the foreseeable future.

I just built a hackintosh, what else to do? The hardware side was just a breeze, well, sort of. But on the software side it's a disaster. It won't even boot on the USB stick. I'll create a thread to find some help.

Nick