How to Install Retail OS X 10.6 "Snow" and OS X 10.7 "Lion" under VMware Workstation 8, Player and Fusion 4

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Hello,i would like to ask a rather *stupid* question
Does anybody has a configuration Windows 2008 r2 / Vmware 8 Workstation ( iknow my Desktop OS is a bit rare but it is a *gift* from Dreamspark)
I am asking because i want to install Lion in order to program in Monotouch but besides Mac OS i have a ton of other Virtual Machines which i use daily. I am really afraid if patching Vmware will cause everything else besides MAC to R.I.P.

Yes I do and no it doesn't affect other VMs. You can also easily remove the patch.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Hello,i would like to ask a rather *stupid* question
Does anybody has a configuration Windows 2008 r2 / Vmware 8 Workstation ( iknow my Desktop OS is a bit rare but it is a *gift* from Dreamspark)
I am asking because i want to install Lion in order to program in Monotouch but besides Mac OS i have a ton of other Virtual Machines which i use daily. I am really afraid if patching Vmware will cause everything else besides MAC to R.I.P.

As Donk has mentioned the patched version of Workstation 8 works fine with all guestOS's, I have Server 2008 R2, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu 11.10,etc all running alongside OS X on "unlock-all" patched W8. I also run Server 2008 R2 as a desktop OS with which Workstation 8 works fine. The one issue is do not install Hyper-V, as you can only have one virtual environment running.

masteripper

masteripper

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well thanks a lot for the quick replies....
I have very bad experiences with VMware that's why i investigate it (Once upon a time i unistalled it and kaboom!! my system was Dead.....and yes I know about the stupidity of Hyper-V......there can be only ONE)

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Well thanks a lot for the quick replies....
I have very bad experiences with VMware that's why i investigate it (Once upon a time i unistalled it and kaboom!! my system was Dead.....and yes I know about the stupidity of Hyper-V......there can be only ONE)

I can only assume that was with much eariler versions since Workstation 7 / Player 3 I have uninstalled and installed them probably a hundred times (to test the latest patches / unlocker's etc), without issue, and always with Donk's original darwin.iso method and more recently with Albert's and then Donk / Zenith's latest ESXi5, W8, P4 & F4 Unlocker's. But a careful approach is always wise, and the dreaded "Take a backup before you apply the changes", is essential, LoL, MSoK! (P.S. I do not always do what I preach, and have the badge for time spent re-building following a "this small change wont break my machine", DoH!)

cbmkgd

cbmkgd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts
It can be added (if not already mentioned) that the present patching does not interfere with some well-known patch which injects a modified bios into the executables: totally different locations in the binary.
(though I prefer to add the appropriate "bios440.filename" line in the vmx when using a modded bios)

neuroman

neuroman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Has anyone been able to install Lion Server under Workstation 8.
I have tried to upgrade the client version and during setup after the package installation, the installer hags on configuring services. I have tried to upgrade 10.7, 10.7.1 and 10.72 as well as upgrading Snow Leopard Server which is currently running flawlessly on a Window Server 2008 r2 host. I have olaso tried moving a fusion VM to Windows only to get a CPU kernel panic.
Does anyone know how to make a server install from scratch to a new volume?
By the way, is there any way to enable shared folders on Apple client machines?

Thanks for the information and I hope I can get this solved.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Has anyone been able to install Lion Server under Workstation 8.
I have tried to upgrade the client version and during setup after the package installation, the installer hags on configuring services. I have tried to upgrade 10.7, 10.7.1 and 10.72 as well as upgrading Snow Leopard Server which is currently running flawlessly on a Window Server 2008 r2 host. I have olaso tried moving a fusion VM to Windows only to get a CPU kernel panic.
Does anyone know how to make a server install from scratch to a new volume?
By the way, is there any way to enable shared folders on Apple client machines?

Thanks for the information and I hope I can get this solved.

Not sure what the issue is, I have Lion Server running fine on ESXi 5 (just not had time to run it on W8), which is the same code as Workstation 8. There is no Server only install in Lion, you install the client and the use the App Store to add Server. The only thing, I am still on 10.7.1, only because of the issues with 10.7.2, and I have not had the time to apply the fixes to make 10.7.2 work in VMware W8 or E5. I will try going straight to 10.7.3 and see if that solves the .2 issues, I had developer notification today or yesterday for the .3 seed.

[UPDATE] With the release of Workstation 8.0.1, I will see if this resolves the .2 issues.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts
As I am sure some of you will have noticed, Workstation 8.0.1, Player 4.0.1 and Fusion 4.1.0 have been released, while not having tried all yet Workstation 8.0.1 works fine with "unlock-all v101". Do not forget the upgrade is in effect a full install so requires the unlocker to be re-applied.

trentfox

trentfox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Actually, Fusion 4.1 no longer requires the unlocker for Snow Leopard or Leopard client. VMware changed it to allow virtualization of these clients. They don't document this, but MacWorld does.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Actually, Fusion 4.1 no longer requires the unlocker for Snow Leopard or Leopard client. VMware changed it to allow virtualization of these clients. They don't document this, but MacWorld does.

Looks like it was unintentional and will be fixed http://blogs.vmware......8Team Fusion)

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts
I have just upgraded Lion to 10.7.2 from 10.7.1 under Workstation 8.0.1 without having to use the patch method required under 8.0.0. I will need to do some further testing, but initially all looks OK.

hocus86

hocus86

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Not to be a total noob but are there instructions anywhere on how to use the unlockers (esp for Fusion)? I have done many searches and while I have found the files no problem in many topics, I have not found any guides/instructions on how to use them for Fusion, just Workstation. Any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Not to be a total noob but are there instructions anywhere on how to use the unlockers (esp for Fusion)? I have done many searches and while I have found the files no problem in many topics, I have not found any guides/instructions on how to use them for Fusion, just Workstation. Any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA

Currently for Fusion 4.1.0 you do not need any "Unlockers" OS X Client works fine, instead of only supporting Server in prevoius releases. I have not had a close look at the latest Apple EULA, but the implication is Lion Client is now supported as a guestOS along with Server, but only Server in previous releases, i.e. Snow Leopard and Leopard. But in the current release of Fusion (4.1.0) all client versions are supported.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Currenty for Fusion 4.1.0 you do not need any "Unlockers" OS X Client works fine, instead of only supporting Server in prevoius releases. I have not had a close look at the latest Apple EULA, but the implication is Lion Client is now supported as a guestOS along with Server, but only Server in previosu releases, i.e. Snow Leopard and Leopard. But in the current release of Fusion (4.1.0) all client versions are supported.

You will need it as it has been fixed in Fusion 4.1.1 for Snow Leopard and Leopardclients. If you are only running Lion then you do not need the unlockers.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

You will need it as it has been fixed in Fusion 4.1.1 for Snow Leopard and Leopardclients. If you are only running Lion then you do not need the unlockers.

Just for completeness, I downloaded the latest Apple EULA for OS X 10.7.2 "Lion", see the extract below regarding running virtual instances, in particular 2B(iii):

2B. License from Mac App Store or on Physical Media. If you obtained a license for the Apple
Software from the Mac App Store or on Apple-branded physical media, then subject to the
terms and conditions of this License and as permitted by the Mac App Store Usage Rules set
forth in the App Store Terms and Conditions (http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/ww/) (“Usage
Rules”), you are granted a limited, non-transferable, non-exclusive license:

(i) to download, install, use and run for personal, non-commercial use, one (1) copy of the
Apple Software directly on each Apple-branded computer running Mac OS X Snow Leopard
or Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control;

(ii) If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, to download, install, use and
run one (1) copy of the Apple Software for use either: (a) by a single individual on each of the
Mac Computer(s) that you own or control, or (-_- by multiple individuals on a single shared Mac
Computer that you own or control. For example, a single employee may use the Apple
Software on both the employee’s desktop Mac Computer and laptop Mac Computer, or
multiple students may serially use the Apple Software on a single Mac Computer located at a
resource center or library; and

(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software
within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that
is already running the Apple Software.

The grant set forth in Section 2B(iii) above does not permit you to use the virtualized copies
or instances of the Apple Software in connection with service bureau, time-sharing, terminal
sharing or other similar types of services

[UPDATE] I have checked the Apple EULA for OS X 10.5 "Leopard" and 10.6 "Snow Leopard" and the Server virtualisation restriction still applies, so it is ONLY 10.7 "Lion" that supports client virtualisation, and of course only in the words of Apple "for your Apple-branded computer".

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Just for completeness, I downloaded the latest Apple EULA for OS X 10.7.2 "Lion", see the extrat below regarding running virtual instances, in particular (iii):

Yep it is fine for Lion. Still have the restrictions on Leopard and Snow Leopard client versions though. I am wondering if telling Fusion it is Lion and then installing SL will work. May have to give that a try later.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Yep it is fine for Lion. Still have the restrictions on Leopard and Snow Leopard client versions though. I am wondering if telling Fusion it is Lion and then installing SL will work. May have to give that a try later.

Donk,
I will have a go when I get a moment.
Cheers,
MSoK.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Donk,
I will have a go when I get a moment.
Cheers,
MSoK.

Tried it and doesn't work!

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Ah well, worth a try, so we will have to stick with the unlocker for SL and L guestOS's on Fusion 4.1.1, or stick with 4.1.0.

hocus86

hocus86

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

QUOTE (Donk @ Nov 24 2011, 11:03 AM)

Ah well, worth a try, so we will have to stick with the unlocker for SL and L guestOS's on Fusion 4.1.1, or stick with 4.1.0.

The problem I am having is that even with 4.1 (not 4.1.1) I am still getting the "Mac OS X is not supported with software virtualization. To run Mac OS X you need a host on which VMware Fusion supports hardware virtualization." after I create a new machine. And this where I am stuck and was wondering if there a process I could follow to use the unlocker (as I assume they will fix this limitation).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy