How to Install Retail OS X 10.6 "Snow" and OS X 10.7 "Lion" under VMware Workstation 8, Player and Fusion 4

MSoK

134 posts in this topic

VMware Fusion was just updated to 4.0.2. Updating breaks the unlocker, and Snow Leopard guest will not run, but re-applying the unlocker fixes the problem.

Yep anytime you update VMware you will need to re-apply patches as the files get overwritten.

Your VMX file is fine and guest is running. It's something in the boot process. Try booting with kernel flags "npci=0x2000 -v". To do this, start the VM into the firmware. Then search for boot.efi. After you find it, create a boot entry for it and list those flags as the load options. Either that or start the EFI shell, and on the command-line type the path to boot.efi, and then those boot options.

Thanks for your suggestion. It looks like adding npci=0x2000 did the trick!

I just wonder why some people obviously do not need it and others do need it ...

VMware Fusion was just updated to 4.0.2. Updating breaks the unlocker, and Snow Leopard guest will not run, but re-applying the unlocker fixes the problem.

Yep anytime you update VMware you will need to re-apply patches as the files get overwritten.

When you update VMware Workstation, Player or Fusion, you are actually doing a complete uninstall followed by a new install, so the Unlocker changes will be lost, so need to be re-applied, as Donk has mentioned.

Does anyone know a way of getting this to work on an amd machine? Works fine on my intel boxes but I need to get it working on my amd opteron 1352 quad core.

As soon as I try and boot SL or Lion media I get the cpu shutdown error and cannot get past this to boot at all.

Does anyone know a way of getting this to work on an amd machine? Works fine on my intel boxes but I need to get it working on my amd opteron 1352 quad core.

As soon as I try and boot SL or Lion media I get the cpu shutdown error and cannot get past this to boot at all.

Sp0oner,

In a word no, not without introducing an alternative kernel or loader, as Apple only support Intel CPU's, so no code present in the vanilla kernel to support AMD processors. Have a look for an AMD kernel or loader package which will bridge between the AMD CPU and the vanilla kernel.

I will have a dig and see if I can provide any links.

Sp0oner,

In a word no, not without introducing an alternative kernel or loader, as Apple only support Intel CPU's, so no code present in the vanilla kernel to support AMD processors. Have a look for an AMD kernel or loader package which will bridge between the AMD CPU and the vanilla kernel.

I will have a dig and see if I can provide any links.

Cheers, i've tried some supposed working solutions on the web and they simply don't work. This is the latest one I tried:

http://asendure.wordpress.com/2006/10/01/o...-server-amd-64/

I don't know how they think the media boots in the first place to even get to the installer as like you say amd won't work.

Cheers, i've tried some supposed working solutions on the web and they simply don't work. This is the latest one I tried:

http://asendure.wordpress.com/2006/10/01/o...-server-amd-64/

I don't know how they think the media boots in the first place to even get to the installer as like you say amd won't work.

Sp0oner,

One of the guy's I work with has got this up and running, I have asked for the detail of the loader he used, will probably be Monday before I can get you the information and links, hope that is OK.

Hi. I'm a complete noobie at both the Mac and virtualization. I apologize in advance for the extremely basic nature of my questions.

I have VMware Workstation 8 and the unlocker installed on my Win7 Pro 64 system and that seems to all work fine. Additionally, I enabled virtualization of the i7 processor in the BIOS.

So I guess I'm ready to install the latest Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6.3).

After looking at the apple site it appears the only Snow Leopard they sell is an upgrade for $29. However, Amazon has what I guess is a "full version" for $69.

Here are my questions:

Am I correct in assuming I need more than the upgrade version of Snow Leopard?

Does Apple not sell a "full version" of Snow Leopard?

Is the $69 version of Snow Leopard on Amazon what I need?

If not, what OS package do I need and where can I get it?

Thank you for your help.

Hi. I'm a complete noobie at both the Mac and virtualization. I apologize in advance for the extremely basic nature of my questions.

I have VMware Workstation 8 and the unlocker installed on my Win7 Pro 64 system and that seems to all work fine. Additionally, I enabled virtualization of the i7 processor in the BIOS.

So I guess I'm ready to install the latest Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6.3).

After looking at the apple site it appears the only Snow Leopard they sell is an upgrade for $29. However, Amazon has what I guess is a "full version" for $69.

Here are my questions:

Am I correct in assuming I need more than the upgrade version of Snow Leopard?

Does Apple not sell a "full version" of Snow Leopard?

Is the $69 version of Snow Leopard on Amazon what I need?

If not, what OS package do I need and where can I get it?

Thank you for your help.

Geemoe,

First of all welcome to InsanelyMac, we are here to help you get OS X running on your Windows or Linux PC under VMware.

The $29 upgrade for "Snow" on the Apple site is what we call the "Retail DVD" and it is fine, in fact it is the recommended version, you can spend the extra on the Family pack, but it is not required. (P.S. I am sure Amazon is fine, but for Apple OS software I always buy it direct from Apple, just to be sure, saves a lot of pain down the line). While it states it is an upgrade it will do a full install under VMware.

If you have the Unlocker from either Donk or Zenith432 running then have a look at the following link to my "How To" for Snow Leopard, as you will need the CPUID mask to get OSX 10.6 "Snow" to install on your Core i7 based machine:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1622074

Good luck, plenty of help available if you get stuck, we have all been where you are now, honest, MSoK! (LoL)

Cheers MSOK much appreciated.

Sp0oner,

Not forgotten about the loader for you, just not had chance to get it sorted, will update ASAP.

Sp0oner,

Not forgotten about the loader for you, just not had chance to get it sorted, will update ASAP.

Cheers. I've tried with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] but immediately I switch to the osx dvd the same error of cpu shutdown appears. There must be a very specific way of doing this for it to work.

Cheers. I've tried with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] but immediately I switch to the osx dvd the same error of cpu shutdown appears. There must be a very specific way of doing this for it to work.

You will need a legacy or AMD kernel as well.

Cheers Donk, do you have any suggestions on what to use for that?

Don't really as not something I have ever done. Look for AndyV on the forums here as I think he has some kernels he built for AMD.

On another note I have had an idea about masking out all the CPUID info and trying to pass AMD off as Intel, but at present not sure if it possible. Someone would need to help me out (no access to AMD box) and also find if there is a suitable level of commonality between and Intel and AMD CPU.

On another note I have had an idea about masking out all the CPUID info and trying to pass AMD off as Intel, but at present not sure if it possible. Someone would need to help me out (no access to AMD box) and also find if there is a suitable level of commonality between and Intel and AMD CPU.
I seriously doubt it. For instance, compare the code Apple uses in tsc_init() to determine cpu-frequency/bus-ratio to the code in Chameleon cpu.c/scan_cpu(). There's a bunch of AMD-specific code in there. More generally, there are differences in MSRs between the two CPU lines that make life difficult. That's what the guys that make AMD kernels have to deal with to adapt the kernel.

There were some older incompatibilities, like missing SSE3, but I think that one is gone now.

I seriously doubt it. For instance, compare the code Apple uses in tsc_init() to determine cpu-frequency/bus-ratio to the code in Chameleon cpu.c/scan_cpu(). There's a bunch of AMD-specific code in there. More generally, there are differences in MSRs between the two CPU lines that make life difficult. That's what the guys that make AMD kernels have to deal with to adapt the kernel.

There were some older incompatibilities, like missing SSE3, but I think that one is gone now.

Yeah - I had a look at the kernel code previously. It was just a mad idea I had :ninja: AMD and Redhat did mess around with Intel <-> AMD live migrations but never made it out of the labs.

Geemoe,

First of all welcome to InsanelyMac, we are here to help you get OS X running on your Windows or Linux PC under VMware.

The $29 upgrade for "Snow" on the Apple site is what we call the "Retail DVD" and it is fine, in fact it is the recommended version, you can spend the extra on the Family pack, but it is not required. (P.S. I am sure Amazon is fine, but for Apple OS software I always buy it direct from Apple, just to be sure, saves a lot of pain down the line). While it states it is an upgrade it will do a full install under VMware.

If you have the Unlocker from either Donk or Zenith432 running then have a look at the following link to my "How To" for Snow Leopard, as you will need the CPUID mask to get OSX 10.6 "Snow" to install on your Core i7 based machine:

Good luck, plenty of help available if you get stuck, we have all been where you are now, honest, MSoK! (LoL)

MSoK,

Thanks for the help.

I followed the instructions at the link you gave above. Everything seemed to work fine until I got to the "Select a Disk to install on" window in the Mac install sequence. There were no locations in the box to select so I couldn't "continue". I could go back so it wasn't "hung". An "install tools" dialog popped up in the VMware, but when I clicked on the install button (after the third install attempt), I got a "couldn't find the file" message.

I have attached the relevant files I believe.

Mac_OS_X_Server_10.6_64_bit.vmx.txt

vmware.txt

Yeah - I had a look at the kernel code previously. It was just a mad idea I had :) AMD and Redhat did mess around with Intel <-> AMD live migrations but never made it out of the labs.

OK, guy's I have the relevant AMD hardware, but not either of your programming skills, if I can be of help, please let me know, even if this is a wild goose chase then I am on board for the ride, LoL!

MSoK,

Thanks for the help.

I followed the instructions at the link you gave above. Everything seemed to work fine until I got to the "Select a Disk to install on" window in the Mac install sequence. There were no locations in the box to select so I couldn't "continue". I could go back so it wasn't "hung". An "install tools" dialog popped up in the VMware, but when I clicked on the install button (after the third install attempt), I got a "couldn't find the file" message.

Geemoe,

I think you are missing a step, unlike Windows, OS X does not see the hardware, well not in a VMware environment, so you need to run Disk Utility and prepare your VMware virtual disk so OS X can see it in the installation process, and I quote:

"Eventually you should move on to the language selection screen, select your language and press the right arrow button.

The Install Mac OS X screen should appear; this is the point we need to prepare the virtual disk for use with OS X, so DO NOT click on the Continue button. Instead select Utilities then Disk Utility…"

Have a further look at my "How To" guide, sorry if I have not understood how far you are through the process. You cannot install the VMware Tools from the VMware menu or via the dialog pop up, not strictly true, but better to install the VMware Tools by mounting the darwin.iso just to be safe

MSoK.

Geemoe,

I think you are missing a step, unlike Windows, OS X does not see the hardware, well not in a VMware environment, so you need to run Disk Utility and prepare your VMware virtual disk so OS X can see it in the installation process, and I quote:

"Eventually you should move on to the language selection screen, select your language and press the right arrow button.

The Install Mac OS X screen should appear; this is the point we need to prepare the virtual disk for use with OS X, so DO NOT click on the Continue button. Instead select Utilities then Disk Utility…"

Have a further look at my "How To" guide, sorry if I have not understood how far you are through the process. You cannot install the VMware Tools from the VMware menu or via the dialog pop up, not strictly true, but better to install the VMware Tools by mounting the darwin.iso just to be safe

MSoK.

MSoK

When I followed all of the instructions it worked great. Thank you.

I am new to Insanely Mac, new to Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Mac OS X Lion. I want to install Lion on my vmware workstation. I heard somewhere that for Lion to get installed, an already installed and upgraded snow leopard system is needed. Is that rule apply for installing on vmware?.

I want to try a clean installation without using pre installed vmware images available in net. i have vmware workstation 7.1.4, a Snow Leopard 10.6 retail dmg and a lion retail 10.7 dmg.

Can you advice me which version of workstation is better compatible to install SL and Lion, vmware workstation 7.1.4 or new vmware workstation 8.0?.

Also please tell me the best and latest guide, their respective unlockers and patches for clean installing SL and then Lion on 7.1.4 and 8.0?

Thanks in advance...

Has anyone able to install SL to VM 8 via Donk's patch ?

With Donk's unlocker, how could you achieve the installation of 10.6 Snow Leopard ?

I point out the DMG file instead of ISO, it tries to boot however after a while it stucks on gray screen before the installer comes up.

: (

With Donk's unlocker, how could you achieve the installation of 10.6 Snow Leopard ?

I point out the DMG file instead of ISO, it tries to boot however after a while it stucks on gray screen before the installer comes up.

convert dmg to iso is recommended...

From Workstation 7.1 you cannot mount a dmg file, so need to convert to iso, then follow the "How To" link below:

From Workstation 7.1 you cannot mount a dmg file, so need to convert to iso, then follow the "How To" link below:

Thx a lot MSoK for the tip.

I converted DMG file to ISO via UltraISO however after the first gray screen i'm getting SBBOD no matter what i do.

I really don't know what i'm missing... Appreciate your help. Thx...

Here is my config file:

.encoding = "windows-1254"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "8"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
memsize = "1024"
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.fileName = "slos64.vmdk"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.autodetect = "TRUE"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"