How to Install Retail OS X 10.6 "Snow" and OS X 10.7 "Lion" under VMware Workstation 8, Player and Fusion 4

MSoK

134 posts in this topic

:) That was TOO EASY :D

Bought a Gigabyte board that i read about from the Tonymac86 forums and couldn't get it to work well because I wanted to dual boot & use the onboard SSD, with Intel RAID.

Tried your unlock files on VMW8 With my Retail SL DVD, and that was too easy.

Donk -

My thanks to you & your crew for your efforts.

Really, that was painless./\ :P

Thx a lot MSoK for the tip.

I converted DMG file to ISO via UltraISO however after the first gray screen i'm getting SBBOD no matter what i do.

I really don't know what i'm missing... Appreciate your help. Thx...

Here is my config file:

.encoding = "windows-1254"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "8"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
memsize = "1024"
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.fileName = "slos64.vmdk"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.autodetect = "TRUE"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"
floppy0.fileName = ""
floppy0.autodetect = "TRUE"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
usb.present = "TRUE"
ehci.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
hpet0.present = "TRUE"
ich7m.present = "TRUE"
usb.vbluetooth.startConnected = "TRUE"
firmware = "efi"
monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"
monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"
displayName = "slos64"
guestOS = "darwin10-64"
nvram = "slos64.nvram"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
powerType.powerOff = "hard"
powerType.powerOn = "hard"
powerType.suspend = "hard"
powerType.reset = "hard"
extendedConfigFile = "slos64.vmxf"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:a6:9f:00"
vmci0.id = "-1012490496"
uuid.location = "56 4d 13 b9 78 cf 79 8b-5d 75 b8 15 c3 a6 9f 00"
uuid.bios = "56 4d 13 b9 78 cf 79 8b-5d 75 b8 15 c3 a6 9f 00"
cleanShutdown = "TRUE"
replay.supported = "FALSE"
replay.filename = ""
scsi0:0.redo = ""
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
ehci.pciSlotNumber = "34"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "35"
usb:1.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "134217728"
usb:1.speed = "2"
usb:1.deviceType = "hub"
usb:1.port = "1"
usb:1.parent = "-1"
ide1:0.fileName = "Z:\snowleopard_10a432_userdvd - Copy.iso"
mks.enable3d = "TRUE"
smc.present = "FALSE"
usb:0.present = "TRUE"
usb:0.deviceType = "hid"
usb:0.port = "0"
usb:0.parent = "-1"

i'm on win 7 32-bit / 2 GB RAM using VMware 8 with VT-Enabled Intel e5300

use dmgtoiso converter. It works fast and fine.

Download: http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/download.pl?dmg...1.6.2-win32.zip

Conversion: Installation not required, just run the below command after extraction. ( Make sure to configure path in Windows OS)

Open cmd, go to extracted folder in dos, type the following command

dmg2img <Source file.dmg> <destination file.iso>

At the end, you will get a successfully converted ISO from DMG in Windows. This ISO can be easily mounted using any mounting software or attached to VMware or VirtualBox as CD ROM drive

I do not think any Win based utilities are able to convert Lion GM dmg to iso

Tried them all with no positive result

sebus

sebus,

Although I can create an iso from the Lion dmg , I cannot get it to use the iso file to install lion in VM, so created a USB stick using disk utility's restore function, and then point your VM at the Lion USB stick created, this works fine.

Thx a lot, i tried this tool too but no joy.

I'm still stuck with the beachball.

Is there anything wrong with my config file ?

I'm so close to go back to VM 7.1...

use dmgtoiso converter. It works fast and fine.

Download: http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/download.pl?dmg...1.6.2-win32.zip

Conversion: Installation not required, just run the below command after extraction. ( Make sure to configure path in Windows OS)

Open cmd, go to extracted folder in dos, type the following command

dmg2img <Source file.dmg> <destination file.iso>

At the end, you will get a successfully converted ISO from DMG in Windows. This ISO can be easily mounted using any mounting software or attached to VMware or VirtualBox as CD ROM drive

Thx a lot, i tried this tool too but no joy.

I'm still stuck with the beachball.

Is there anything wrong with my config file ?

I'm so close to go back to VM 7.1...

Sorry you are close to giving up, can only think it is your media, invest in the retail DVD from the Apple store it will work first time, and if you want to use an iso, then ImgBurn will make a fully working iso from your "Retail" SL DVD. From the above media, both DVD and ISO, I have a fully working "Snow" running under Workstation 8, not so straight forward when it comes to Lion, but that is a different discussion.

Finally if you want to run "Snow" and not "Lion", then stick with Workstation 7 the latest version is 7.1.5, from one or two comments I have seen "Snow" runs better in W7. The latest is not always the best, LoL!

MSoK.

MSoK,

Please include instructions on how to install Mac OS X Lion in front of topic.

Also which OS X version should i use in New vm creation wizard, when installing Lion,

OS X 10.7 or OS X 10.7 64-bit??

OSXI',

You can use either, but I usually use 64-bit, but you will need a minimum of 2GB RAM allocated, the wizard will do this, but if you are upgrading from "Snow", the recommended RAM is 1GB, so will need to be amended in the edit virtual machine settings. I will do an install walkthrough at the beginning of the topic, just been a bit busy, also the ongoing work between Donk and Zenith432 with the unified Unlocker and installation scripts will impact on the walkthrough, but soon.

Cheers,

MSoK!

Which audio and video drivers should i install in lion on Workstation 8 with vmware tools installed from darwin401.iso?

have been searching quite a lot for the best and latest compatible drivers for WKS 8!!

darwin.iso from ESXi 5 (current version 5.0.0)

http://rapidshare.com/files/829645494/darwin500.iso

Does this darwin500.iso from ESXi work on workstation 8?

Does this darwin500.iso from ESXi work on workstation 8?

Yes (at least it does for me).

Anyone already upgraded to 10.7.2? I'm stuck again when not specifiying npci=0x2000 (didn't happen after upgrade to 10.7.1). However, if I now boot the Mac OS X installation using the EFI shell (Boot VM -> ESC -> Boot Manager -> Internal Shell -> fs1:\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi npci=0x2000 -v) I'm stuck on

rooting via boot-uuid from /chosen: 39CACFF3-96...
Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>
Still waiting for root device

Any thoughts on that?

Yes (at least it does for me).

Anyone already upgraded to 10.7.2? I'm stuck again when not specifiying npci=0x2000 (didn't happen after upgrade to 10.7.1). However, if I now boot the Mac OS X installation using the EFI shell (Boot VM -> ESC -> Boot Manager -> Internal Shell -> fs1:\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi npci=0x2000 -v) I'm stuck on

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

Any thoughts on that?

10.7.2 break the drivers for the SCSI interface. See here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1758947

I've followed the same steps as the others in this thread and am stuck at the spinning beach ball after the apple logo.

c2d e6300 with vt-x enabled

retail 10.7 dvd, created iso out of the inner .dmg

workstation 8

ran unlocker from Admin cmd prompt

tried 10.6 server 64bit and 10.7 64bit machine types

iso mounted to SCSI 0:1

2GB ram, 2 CPU

taker123 on first page did the same steps and it works for him...

what am I missing?

Sorry you are close to giving up, can only think it is your media, invest in the retail DVD from the Apple store it will work first time, and if you want to use an iso, then ImgBurn will make a fully working iso from your "Retail" SL DVD. From the above media, both DVD and ISO, I have a fully working "Snow" running under Workstation 8, not so straight forward when it comes to Lion, but that is a different discussion.

Finally if you want to run "Snow" and not "Lion", then stick with Workstation 7 the latest version is 7.1.5, from one or two comments I have seen "Snow" runs better in W7. The latest is not always the best, LoL!

MSoK.

Thx a lot and appreceiate all your help : )

My experience is similar; W7 runs Snow much smoother. I was running Lion too in a separate VM till yesterday before i got the 10.7.2 update - now my installation is fubared though i should have take a snapshot.

Btw besides OS X i don't think VM8 runs Windows VM's faster or more smooth than the v7. Maybe a little better 3D support but not so different. As you say: "The latest is not always the best".

I've followed the same steps as the others in this thread and am stuck at the spinning beach ball after the apple logo.

c2d e6300 with vt-x enabled

retail 10.7 dvd, created iso out of the inner .dmg

workstation 8

ran unlocker from Admin cmd prompt

tried 10.6 server 64bit and 10.7 64bit machine types

iso mounted to SCSI 0:1

2GB ram, 2 CPU

taker123 on first page did the same steps and it works for him...

what am I missing?

update to my issue. hope this is the right thread.

I added -v to get verbose bootup and found it was stuck in PCI Configuration Begin.

I then added npci=0x2000 and it continues, but I see two other errors:

BootCacheControl: Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 No such file or directory

Bug: launchctl.c2408 ...(line continues)

and

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed

Then it shows "DSMOS has arrived" and shows the beach ball.

Are those two BootCache and CST failures the problem? I can't seem to find a solution that applies to me

i've this same error

i've downgrade the AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext but obtain the same error

i've this same error

i've downgrade the AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext but obtain the same error

You are probably running into this problem: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1759872

I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out why I don't have sound on Snow Leopard in WS8-Win7x64. I used the unlocker successfully on a fresh install of WS8. Also SL is a fresh install inside WS8, which went off without a hitch. Updated SL to 10.6.8 and Installed the VMWare Tools 4.0.1 into SL but still no sound. The System Profiler shows audio hardware but doesn't appear in System Preferences. post-13708-1318909216_thumb.png

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling WS8, applying the unlocker and installing a brand new fresh copy of SL without success in audio. I have also noticed that the guest SL will also freeze on occasion. A hard reset and it's back in business, though.

Mac_OS_X.vmx.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I am new here but have come to believe that if there is anywhere I can find a solution it would be here.

This is my situation:

My setup:

• Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
  • VMware Workstation 8
  • PC running an i5 CPU

My problem is that every time I start the OS X install I get a crash, as showing in the attached image.

I followed the instructions provide here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1750629

When running the command line (as Admin), I noticed two exceptions, but the process seem to have gone OK.

This was the output...

------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\Apple\VMware>install

VMware Unlocker 1.0.0

=====================

© Dave Parsons 2011

Stopping VMware services...

The VMware Workstation Server service is stopping.

The VMware Workstation Server service was stopped successfully.

The VMware Authorization Service service was stopped successfully.

Creating backup folders...

The system cannot find the file specified.

The system cannot find the file specified.

Core=VMware Workstation

InstallPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\

Saving 64-bit files...

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64\vmware-vmx.exe -> C:\Apple\VMware\backup\x64\vmware-vmx.exe

1 File(s) copied

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64\vmware-vmx-debug.exe -> C:\Apple\VMware\backup\x64\vmware-vmx-debug.exe

1 File(s) copied

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64\vmware-vmx-stats.exe -> C:\Apple\VMware\backup\x64\vmware-vmx-stats.exe

1 File(s) copied

Patching 64-bit files...

Copying 64-bit files to VMware folder...

C:\Apple\VMware\bin\x64\vmware-vmx-debug.exe -> C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64\vmware-vmx-debug.exe

C:\Apple\VMware\bin\x64\vmware-vmx-stats.exe -> C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64\vmware-vmx-stats.exe

C:\Apple\VMware\bin\x64\vmware-vmx.exe -> C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64\vmware-vmx.exe

3 File(s) copied

Saving 32-bit files...

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx.exe -> C:\Apple\VMware\backup\vmware-vmx.exe

1 File(s) copied

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx-debug.exe -> C:\Apple\VMware\backup\vmware-vmx-debug.exe

1 File(s) copied

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx-stats.exe -> C:\Apple\VMware\backup\vmware-vmx-stats.exe

1 File(s) copied

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmwarebase.dll -> C:\Apple\VMware\backup\vmwarebase.dll

1 File(s) copied

Patching 64-bit files...

Copying 32-bit files to VMware folder...

C:\Apple\VMware\bin\vmware-vmx-debug.exe -> C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx-debug.exe

C:\Apple\VMware\bin\vmware-vmx-stats.exe -> C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx-stats.exe

C:\Apple\VMware\bin\vmware-vmx.exe -> C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx.exe

C:\Apple\VMware\bin\vmwarebase.dll -> C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmwarebase.dll

4 File(s) copied

C:\Apple\VMware\darwin.iso -> C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\darwin.iso

C:\Apple\VMware\darwin.iso.sig -> C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\darwin.iso.sig

2 File(s) copied

Starting VMware services...

The VMware Authorization Service service is starting.

The VMware Authorization Service service was started successfully.

The VMware Workstation Server service is starting.

The VMware Workstation Server service was started successfully.

C:\Apple\VMware>

I then proceeded with installation as follows:

1. Created a VM using a VMX file (not allowed to upload)
  2. Pointed the VM to darwin500.iso
  3. Started the VM
  4. Then pointed to my OS X SL retail CD
  5. When the install starts I get the error showing in the image. The text is this:

A fault has occurred causing a virtual CPU to enter the shutdown state. If this fault had occurred 
outside of a virtual machine, it would have caused 
the physical machine to restart. The shutdown state
can be reached by incorrectly configuring the virtual
machine, a bug in the guest operating system, or a 
problem in VMware Workstation.Click OK to restart 
the virtual machine or Cancel to power off the 
virtual machine.

I have tried all sorts - looking at my VM setup, bios setup, different Darwin.iso files etc etc. Maybe I should just buy a Mac but my desk has too much kit on it already :)

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

post-910477-1319884384_thumb.jpg

Hello. I am new here but have come to believe that if there is anywhere I can find a solution it would be here.

This is my situation:

My setup:

• Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
  • VMware Workstation 8
  • PC running an i5 CPU

My problem is that every time I start the OS X install I get a crash.

When running the command line (as Admin), I noticed two exceptions, but the process seem to have gone OK.

I then proceeded with installation as follows:

1. Created a VM using a VMX file (not allowed to upload)
  2. Pointed the VM to darwin500.iso
  3. Started the VM
  4. Then pointed to my OS X SL retail CD
  5. When the install starts I get the error showing in the image.

I have tried all sorts - looking at my VM setup, bios setup, different Darwin.iso files etc etc. Maybe I should just buy a Mac but my desk has too much kit on it already :D

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

avitchi,

The most likely cause of your problem, is your Retail SL DVD is 10.6.3, the latest version, but this does not support Core i5 or indeed i3, i7 or Xeon 5600 series processors.

If the "Unlocker" patch has worked you can create a new virtual machine from the wizard, and choose Guest operating system "Apple Mac OS X" and Version "Mac OS X Server 10.6 64-bit" work through the wizard, have a look at the link at the bottom of the post of additional information, although the topic is for Workstation 7 it applies equally to Workstation 8. When finished do not start your guest, or if you do it will fail.

Edit your VMX config file and add the CPUID mask, again details in the linked topic, this should allow you to proceed and install SL. Once you are patched to 10.6.4 or above, 10.6.8 is the latest you can remove the CPUID mask.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1622074

I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out why I don't have sound on Snow Leopard in WS8-Win7x64. I used the unlocker successfully on a fresh install of WS8. Also SL is a fresh install inside WS8, which went off without a hitch. Updated SL to 10.6.8 and Installed the VMWare Tools 4.0.1 into SL but still no sound. The System Profiler shows audio hardware but doesn't appear in System Preferences.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling WS8, applying the unlocker and installing a brand new fresh copy of SL without success in audio. I have also noticed that the guest SL will also freeze on occasion. A hard reset and it's back in business, though.

Ryan,

The freezing is most likely the Energy Saver settings need changing to "Never" in System Preferences, a common problem, or use the free Caffiene application.

In terms of audio you will need to make sure you have a Sound Card added to the Hardware in your Virtual Machine Settings and install Zenith432's audio drivers, link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1594841

Then check your settings under Utilities > Audio Device

Hello Mac Son of Knife,

Thanks for your help. The key to it all was the link you listed bellow. I wonder how I missed that in the first place.

I would like to say the document above is brill. I followed it and all worked great, even on my i5 and SL 10.6.3.

It was indeed required to change the CPUID, and I was able to install the OS from an ISO I created, which worked way faster than using the retail CD.

One of the things that I seem unable to change is the screen resolution.

I have read other documents and changed it as suggested... but :blink:

This is how my configuration plist file looks like.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>"Graphics Mode"="1920x1080x32@60"</string>

</dict>

</plist>

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you so far. I cannot believe I have Mac OS working.

Hello Mac Son of Knife,

One of the things that I seem unable to change is the screen resolution.

I have read other documents and changed it as suggested... but :unsure:

Thank you so far. I cannot believe I have Mac OS working.

avitchi,

Glad to hear you are making progress, screen resolution in W8 is generally sorted by installing VMware Tools, which should install from the menu for SL in W8, if not mount the darwin.iso, see the link below for details if you do not have the darwin.iso already. The other catch is provide enough Total video memory in the Video card section of the guest Virtual Machine Properties, use the Video Memory Calculator or just stick in 16MB this should give you a range of screen resolution.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1750634

Keep me posted on your progress, MSoK.