How to Install Retail OS X 10.6 "Snow" and OS X 10.7 "Lion" under VMware Workstation 8, Player and Fusion 4

MSoK

134 posts in this topic

FYI

I succeeded in installing OS 10.7.4 under Workstation 8.0.3 for Windows as follows

- Get the combo update for 10.7.4 from Apple [don't use software update.]

- Retain AppleSMC.kext v3.1.1d8 from OS 10.7.3.

- Create a snapshot.

- Open a root Terminal.

- Run the combo update under OS 10.7.3.

- Don't press restart when the update completes.

- Goto /System/Library/Extensions in the root Terminal.

- remove AppleSMC.kext, or move it to a backup location.

- restore AppleSMC.kext from OS 10.7.3 that you retained.

- touch /System/Library/Extensions.

- Now press restart in the installer window.

- The system should restart successfully.

This was based on an idea for doing similar with host-based Hackintosh in the "New Releases and Updates" forum.

This also works on ESXi 5.

I would also like to report the successful update to OS 10.7.4 but this time under Workstation 7.1.5 for Windows. Sorry for posting this here, but I couldn't find the same topic for the older version of Workstation.

• Workstation 7.1.5 should be patched.
  • Virtual machine should use the EFI rom.
  • OS 10.7.0 was originally booted and installed from prepared OS installation on .vmdk (with Lion DiskMaker on 10.6.8).
  • You need AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext from OS 10.7.1
  • You need AppleSMC.kext from OS 10.7.3
    (I used the one from 10.7.2, because I skipped the 10.7.3 update)
  • After update you should replace the LSI and SMC drivers with the older ones as described in previous posts or with the help of OS installation disk.
  • I also have installed VMware Tools from darwin401.iso, SVGA II driver 1.2.4 and EnsoniqAudioPCI 1.0.3.

Everything works fast and without problems, even the problem with logging out when starting the applications (as described in http://www.insanelym...howtopic=269292) seems to have gone away.

• 2 months later...

FYI

I succeeded in installing OS 10.7.4 under Workstation 8.0.3 for Windows as follows

1 Get the combo update for 10.7.4 from Apple [don't use software update.]

2 Retain AppleSMC.kext v3.1.1d8 from OS 10.7.3.

3 Create a snapshot.

4 Open a root Terminal.

5 Run the combo update under OS 10.7.3.

6 Don't press restart when the update completes.

7 Goto /System/Library/Extensions in the root Terminal.

8 remove AppleSMC.kext, or move it to a backup location.

9 restore AppleSMC.kext from OS 10.7.3 that you retained.

10 touch /System/Library/Extensions.

11 Now press restart in the installer window.

- The system should restart successfully.

This was based on an idea for doing similar with host-based Hackintosh in the "New Releases and Updates" forum.

I am trying to update 10.7.3 to 10.7.4 on WS 8.0.4 and failing but I am sure I am not doing a step properly. I numbered the steps. For Step 5, how do I install a package from the Terminal ? In my tests, I ran the .pkg from the GUI and before clicking restart, followed the other steps. For a number of commands, I had to "sudo" in Terminal. I assume this is correct ?

Well, when you have a broken rib and enough time at home, you figure things out. Here are Zenith's instructions for non-expert users:

1) Create a snapshot

2) Get the combo update for 10.7.4 from Apple [don't use software update.]. Open the .dmg file and put the package file on your Desktop

3) Open a Root Terminal. (If you haven't enabled root on your system, issue the following command to set a root password:

sudo passwd root

Then "su" to switch to root

4) Save "AppleSMC.kext" v3.1.1d8 from OS 10.7.3. Copy it to your Desktop

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMC.kext /Users/user/Desktop

5) Run the combo update under OS 10.7.3. Don't press restart when the update completes. This may take a while...

/usr/sbin/installer -pkg /usr/user/Desktop/MacOSXUpdCombo10.7.4.pkg -target /

6) Goto /System/Library/Extensions in the Terminal

cd /System/Library/Extensions

7) Remove AppleSMC.kext, or move it to a backup location

mv AppleSMC.kext AppleSMC.kext.bad

8) Restore AppleSMC.kext from OS 10.7.3 that you retained

cp -R /Users/user/Desktop/AppleSMC.kext .

chmod -R 755 AppleSMC.kext

chown -R root:wheel AppleSMC.kext

9) Now:

touch /System/Library/Extensions.

10) Restart the system

I now have 10.7.4 running on VMware Workstation 8.0.4... Thanks to Zenith for the instructions...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I used VMWare Unlocker v1.1.0 downloaded from http ://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/268531-workstation-8-and-fusion-4-mac-os-x-unlocker/ to unlock VMWare Workstation v9.0.1. I can install MacOS X Lion and MacOS X Mountain Lion but I have a problem with MacOSX Snow Leopard:

- I converted the dmg from Mac OS X Snow Leopard v10.6.7-HOTiSO to iso file by using dmg2img

- I chose Mac OS X Server 10.6 64 bit for the new virtual machine

- The CD/DVD settings pointed to the created iso file

but after showing the Apple logo for tens seconds, it showed a prohibited sign and stopped there.

I did try to search with in our forum as well as on the internet, read many threads here but I could not find any hints for this problem.

So, is this by design that I cannot install Mac OS X Snow Leopard client (not server) on VMWare products? (I guess this because there is no Mac OS X Snow 10.6 without "Server" word option).

Could anyone help me? My problem is the same as in http ://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/245721-problem-with-alberts-mac-os-x-vmware-unlocker/.

Thanks in advance.

I used VMWare Unlocker v1.1.0 downloaded from http ://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/268531-workstation-8-and-fusion-4-mac-os-x-unlocker/ to unlock VMWare Workstation v9.0.1. I can install MacOS X Lion and MacOS X Mountain Lion but I have a problem with MacOSX Snow Leopard:

- I converted the dmg from Mac OS X Snow Leopard v10.6.7-HOTiSO to iso file by using dmg2img

- I chose Mac OS X Server 10.6 64 bit for the new virtual machine

- The CD/DVD settings pointed to the created iso file

but after showing the Apple logo for tens seconds, it showed a prohibited sign and stopped there.

I did try to search with in our forum as well as on the internet, read many threads here but I could not find any hints for this problem.

So, is this by design that I cannot install Mac OS X Snow Leopard client (not server) on VMWare products? (I guess this because there is no Mac OS X Snow 10.6 without "Server" word option).

Could anyone help me? My problem is the same as in http ://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/245721-problem-with-alberts-mac-os-x-vmware-unlocker/.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure what your issue is other than your non retail DMG and conversion to ISO. I have not installed SL on W9 for some time, so ran through an install today without issues. I used an ISO created from a retail SL "client" DVD purchased from the Apple Store, they have recently started selling the DVD again at £14.00 ($20) in the UK store. I used ImgBurn to convert the DVD to ISO, but you could use the DVD direct.

The ISO and DVD are 10.6.3, which do not support the latest Intel Core i and Xeon 5600 series processors, so you may need to add a CPUID mask, until you updated beyond 10.6.4, see link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/232183-snow-leopard-on-vmware-and-disabled-cpu-error/#entry1551966

I am running an Core i7 processor, and with previous version of VMware Workstation (8) needed to add the CPUID mask, but my new install of SL 10.6.3 on W9 runs without the need for the CPUID mask. To quote from a VMware Communities discussion "Some recent VMware products will dumb down the processor for you if you have specified an older Mac OS X release", Workstation 9 seems to be one of those products, see link below:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/423099?start=30&tstart=0

In terms of "server" vs "client" Apple's EULA only supports virtualisation of Server for SL, this was removed for L and ML. So although you can use "client" SL media, the unlocker removes the "server" check, you can only choose "Mac OS X Server 10.6" as a guest OS, as this is what is coded in to VMware.

Hope this helps, MSoK.

Not sure what your issue is other than your non retail DMG and conversion to ISO. I have not installed SL on W9 for some time, so ran through an install today without issues. I used an ISO created from a retail SL "client" DVD purchased from the Apple Store, they have recently started selling the DVD again at £14.00 ($20) in the UK store. I used ImgBurn to convert the DVD to ISO, but you could use the DVD direct.

The ISO and DVD are 10.6.3, which do not support the latest Intel Core i and Xeon 5600 series processors, so you may need to add a CPUID mask, until you updated beyond 10.6.4, see link below:

http://www.insanelym...r/#entry1551966

I am running an Core i7 processor, and with previous version of VMware Workstation (8) needed to add the CPUID mask, but my new install of SL 10.6.3 on W9 runs without the need for the CPUID mask. To quote from a VMware Communities discussion "Some recent VMware products will dumb down the processor for you if you have specified an older Mac OS X release", Workstation 9 seems to be one of those products, see link below:

http://communities.v...art=30&tstart=0

In terms of "server" vs "client" Apple's EULA only supports virtualisation of Server for SL, this was removed for L and ML. So although you can use "client" SL media, the unlocker removes the "server" check, you can only choose "Mac OS X Server 10.6" as a guest OS, as this is what is coded in to VMware.

Hope this helps, MSoK.

Thank you very much for your reply.

I did try several ways to convert the dmg file to iso (dmg2ima, MagicISO, PowerISO, AnyToISO, hdiutil) but the final results were always the same.

I also tried to install VMWare Fusion v4.1.0 which is said to be missing the server check ==> this means that I should be able to install Mac OS SL Client with VMWare Fusion v4.1.0 but the same result is still there.

I'm getting the retail DVD of MacOS X Snow Leopard. Hope the retail DVD be able to help.

I will return back here to update the final result :D

UPDATE: The release Mac OS X Snow Leopard v10.6.7-HOTiSO doesn't work for me but the retail DVD solved my problem. Just use the retail DVD, convert it to *.iso. Everthing is fine now :D

• 2 months later...

MSoK,

I noticed that the darwin500.iso and the v4 iso links on rapidshare are no longer valid and need updating.

However, I do have a question. I have:

- ESXi Version 5.0.0 (455964)

- MacOSXUnlocker 1.1.0

- 2 X Intel Xeon E5335/Tyan S5397/Seaburg i5400 chipset

- OSX 10.4.11 (Tiger) Server

I know Tiger is an old o/s, but when I decided to virtualize the Mac Server upgrading first would be a painful task for myself but more for the Art Dept (as it is I pretty much had to steal the server without asking them in order to get some time with it.)

Anyhow, I have OSX installed on ESXi and working. A few things I noticed:

- The server is sluggish (probably due to the anemic graphics chip on the mobo)

- USB Devices tend to freeze if doing large data transfers (thus being unstable)

I was wondering if installing the vmware tools via the darwin500.iso would help solve my instablity issues with the USB? I had tried installing different versions of the tools on copies of this server but every time I did, I would get a panic and ACPI error, or they would crash during installation. I am not sure if the darwin500.iso is different than the ones that I tried previously or would work better with my installation, or I am just better going out and getting a PCI-e USB/Firewire expansion card and doing a passthrough to the card.

Much appreciation on your work and effort (and others) that was necessary to get my server on ESXi.