[Guide] Lion on GA-EP45-UD3R - very close to perfection

Squirrelf

304 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

Strange thing for me. Someone mentioned this in a post on page 7 or 8 but it was never talked about after they got their sound issue fixed. I have been running 10.7.3 for a few days on my EP45-UD3P and it has been working great. Done some installations and such and many reboots. All successful. Tonight I had to unplug the machine for some work on another machine and when I start it up I no longer can click on my icons on the login page. Mouse moves, keyboard seems to do nothing but the caps lock will light up.

Stranger was that I was about to abandon ship, start over and when I booted in OSX on the install drive (from the guide) I had the same problem. I couldn't get past the first screen on the installation either.

Any ideas? This has to be a BIOS setting I would assume. I can't imagine anything else - or hardware, but that would be odd as it was just working.

Okay - little more insight into the issue. It seems that Lion sees the mouse click but is in a state that is unable to accept it. So I clicked my login icon and then waited. After about 9-10 minutes it did change to the prompt for my password. Once I am logged in, everything is normal - responsive and fast. Just that 10 minute login!

Have you all got darkwake=0 working? I.e. no scheduled wake ups after enabling it in boot.plist?

My problem is that although adding the line, as you can see below, to my boot.plist, my computer still sometimes starts up for a few seconds when in sleep mode. This is quite annoying especially at night.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1680x1050x32</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Default</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Any ideas guys?

Have you all got darkwake=0 working? I.e. no scheduled wake ups after enabling it in boot.plist?

My problem is that although adding the line, as you can see below, to my boot.plist, my computer still sometimes starts up for a few seconds when in sleep mode. This is quite annoying especially at night.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1680x1050x32</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Default</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Any ideas guys?

Try disabling "wake on network access". It used to be in previous versions in System Preferences -> Energy saver. However, Sometimes the setting is not there (I am not sure what it depends on). However, I remember fixing it exactly by doing this.

=======================

[Does not let me post as a new post this one]

Hi! UD3LR Here.

I had lion before, then screwed it up somehow by updating to 10.7.3. Now I can't get it right.

Actually everything works, except the temperatures of cpu are high (60C when idle, 85C when loaded). I remember I had that problem initially when Lion came out, later i fixed it by installing a different version of boot loader (chimera). Now I have tried several of boot loaders and it does not help. It used to be 40C on lion w a different boot loader , on windows it is 40C.

I did try Generate P and C states. Also, turned on these settings in BIOS. I em pretty sure it is not a HW issue (fans are seater perfectly). When Booting from rBoot disc, the temps are also under control.

Any help appreciated.

Try disabling "wake on network access". It used to be in previous versions in System Preferences -> Energy saver. However, Sometimes the setting is not there (I am not sure what it depends on). However, I remember fixing it exactly by doing this.

This sadly disabled Wake-On-Lan, which I use a lot, so even if it would fix it, it's not an option for me. Thanks anyway for the input.

Any other ideas?

For your problem, xoolia, make sure you have the correct DSDT, matching your board, in your /Extra folder.

So for the mouse click issue when logging in? The issue was that when I clicked on the icon for my user it would take 5-6 minutes for the password box to appear. I meddled with it so much that the computer would no longer boot. Being a good little IT person - I had my backup handy so I booted off the same boot media and did a TimeMachine restore from a couple of days prior.

Low and behold the issue is gone and I can't explain why or how. To be honest this restore point had the problem. The BIOS was the same as when I had the problem (version and settings) but it works.

Can anyone explain this? Is there some sort of re-detection of hardware when you restore from TM?

This sadly disabled Wake-On-Lan, which I use a lot, so even if it would fix it, it's not an option for me. Thanks anyway for the input.

Any other ideas?

Apple documents it as a legit reason to wake up once in a while to register with Bonjour. So, perhaps disabling bonjour would do something (if it's an option).

For your problem, xoolia, make sure you have the correct DSDT, matching your board, in your /Extra folder.

Yup, it's the one for my mobo. So, my ideas are that either it reads the temps wrong (i use iStat pro, also i hear fans louder than normally), or the {censored} gives higher voltage to cpu. In any case it sucks, cuz it's loud.

Apple documents it as a legit reason to wake up once in a while to register with Bonjour. So, perhaps disabling bonjour would do something (if it's an option).

Sadly that's not an option either, eh. But shouldn't darkwake=0 disable this behavior despite bonjour being enabled? Or have I misunderstood?

So for the mouse click issue when logging in? The issue was that when I clicked on the icon for my user it would take 5-6 minutes for the password box to appear. I meddled with it so much that the computer would no longer boot. Being a good little IT person - I had my backup handy so I booted off the same boot media and did a TimeMachine restore from a couple of days prior.

Low and behold the issue is gone and I can't explain why or how. To be honest this restore point had the problem. The BIOS was the same as when I had the problem (version and settings) but it works.

Can anyone explain this? Is there some sort of re-detection of hardware when you restore from TM?

Quoting myself here! I made a hardware change and it's back. I decided to boot off my installation media and even the OSX boot image I made for installation with this guide has the same issue. When the initial screen appears it takes 5-6 minutes before I can select the arrow to move forward in the process. Once it's done I can go through the menus normally.

Any ideas? I think it's a KEXT or something that is wrong. I can't explain it though and lots of searching has revealed nothing so far.

Quoting myself here! I made a hardware change and it's back. I decided to boot off my installation media and even the OSX boot image I made for installation with this guide has the same issue. When the initial screen appears it takes 5-6 minutes before I can select the arrow to move forward in the process. Once it's done I can go through the menus normally.

Any ideas? I think it's a KEXT or something that is wrong. I can't explain it though and lots of searching has revealed nothing so far.

Have you ruled out hardware failures and/or incompatibilities? I had to swap my graphics card once, because it, for some unknown reason, didn't want to work perfectly on Snow Leopard (I think it was SL anyway..). It did work just fine on Lion though.

I'm getting the same issue (I started a thread about it but no one replied except this guy). I'd say my computer's set up pretty well as far as compatibility goes. I've got an 8800 GTS, the UD3R, and an Apple wifi card. The actual error shows up in the logs as something like 'Timeout waiting for iokit to be quiet'. There's a few threads about it knocking around on the net but I haven't seen any with a solution.

To be honest I keep meaning to get around to wiping it and starting again.

Have you ruled out hardware failures and/or incompatibilities? I had to swap my graphics card once, because it, for some unknown reason, didn't want to work perfectly on Snow Leopard (I think it was SL anyway..). It did work just fine on Lion though.

I did some long troubleshooting on this one and I think I finally fugured it out. When searching for the "Timeout waiting for IOKit to be quiet" error I found many people mentioning Logitech mice as an issue. It turns out even on Macs there is an issue with Logitech devices on Lion. Unplugged both those devices (keyboard and mouse) but still had the issue. Some more reading led me to the fact that the IOKit errors have to do with USB (which makes sense again). I unplgged all my USB devices and found that 2 other ones were hurting me as well. I have a small 3rd party cheapy bluetooth dongle and also I have a Viewsonic P815 screen with a USB hub built into the base. Either of those can cause the problem to appear.

I am now pretty bare on the USB plugged devices. I have an external DVD burner, my mouse and KB which are both MS and that's about it. When in OSX and I plug in a flash card reader or an external HD for my photo library I don't have any issues.

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

Getting ready to do that now. Hear that only my audio extension needs to be replaced with the one I am currently using. Also, make sure you have the latest FakeSMC if you get any errors.

UPDATE: used the latest FakeSMC from the pack on the first post and backed up my Audio extension from S/L/E. Updated, rebooted, reinstalled my audio and rebooted again. After that, run System update one more time to get the latest version of Safari. Everything seems fine, YMMV. Check my sig for my hardware.

PS: my geekbench score went up a little!

Hm, I'm getting a CPU Halt error on boot, and some SMC-errors when/if I get into OS X. Looking into my issues, and will report when/if I resolve them.

Are you running the latest version of fakeSMC.kext?

Sorry for the delay, I've been away for the weekend.

Anyways, I'm running the fakeSMC that's available in the first post of this thread. I presume this is deprecated, and I should update to something more recent? (e.g. first link in this thread: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1643 )

Anyone else with problems? :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well take a screen shot in verbose mode and upload here, maybe it will give more info.

Alright, this is the screen, just before it reboots:

DSC02259.jpg

I suspect it has (to have) something to do with power management of sorts. Because after the reboot it goes into an endless loop, restarting over and over again. The only thing that helps is to pull the plug, and wait for a while.

Now, if I start it in single user mode, with "-v -s", and manually fsck and mount the root drive, then exit - it work's without a hitch.

Any ideas? I'd rather not downgrade to 10.7.3 anymore, especially since Mountain Lion is just around the corner.

Thanks!

PS. Should the DSDT be edited to match the latest AppleRTC, and in this way prevent the CMOS reset on reboot?

Hi!

This might be helpful for you : ". Anyway i think its important to note that the biggest change in 10.7.4 seems to be with p-state control in the newest ApplIntelCPUPM kext. This has caused many problems for people. Some get kernel panics, others get stuck at lowest multiplier. It may only affect sandy bridge, though i think some x58 users have also complained. The temporary fix is to make sure boot.plist DOES NOT have GeneratePstates=Yes and DOES have DropSSDT=Yes."

From here : http://netkas.org/?p=1113#comments

I am still on Snow Leo, but checking how Lion is supported..

Now, if I start it in single user mode, with "-v -s", and manually fsck and mount the root drive, then exit - it work's without a hitch.

Any ideas? I'd rather not downgrade to 10.7.3 anymore, especially since Mountain Lion is just around the corner.

Thanks!

PS. Should the DSDT be edited to match the latest AppleRTC, and in this way prevent the CMOS reset on reboot?

Wow fsck failing! Are you sure your disk is ok? I'd reboot into a different setup or hard disk and recover all your files and then repair that hard drive first.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a strange problem with Leo on GA-EP45-UD3P/ X9770 Core 2 Extreme CPU 3.2G/12M cache, 16G Patriot mem, eVGA GTX9800+ video. 80% of time system is normal, but 20% of time when you open a window, it will appear at a random small size (usually 1/3 size or so) and the window will be mostly transparent. All controls on window will work normally, but it is not usable because of size & transparency. also occasional spinning pizza wheel that does not go away. Same rig works flawlessly with SnowLeopard. I tried these instructions, ######, different install methods - same symptoms. Tried GA-EP45-UD3R too, as well as genuine apple ATI vid card - always same problem. - Anybody have ideas where to look?

should have been more clear in the last post - problem is with Lion, not Leopard.

Have a strange problem with Leo on GA-EP45-UD3P/ X9770 Core 2 Extreme CPU 3.2G/12M cache, 16G Patriot mem, eVGA GTX9800+ video. 80% of time system is normal, but 20% of time when you open a window, it will appear at a random small size (usually 1/3 size or so) and the window will be mostly transparent. All controls on window will work normally, but it is not usable because of size & transparency. also occasional spinning pizza wheel that does not go away. Same rig works flawlessly with SnowLeopard. I tried these instructions, ######, different install methods - same symptoms. Tried GA-EP45-UD3R too, as well as genuine apple ATI vid card - always same problem. - Anybody have ideas where to look?

should have been more clear in the last post - problem is with Lion, not Leopard.

Are you sure your graphics are ok? Sure sounds like it's not 100% to me. Do you have QE/CI?