10.6.8 officially released

shenor

371 posts in this topic

After update to 10.6.8, receive [PCI configuration begin]. Repair it, by replacing AppleACPI & IOPCI kexts, from my SL 10.6.7. Just for info for anybody else, to backup before update those kexts..

Works fine on my Gigabyte G31M-ES2L (had to remove and reinstall VoodooHDA-0.2.56.pkg) but it's completely broken Wi-Fi.

I had been using a Belkin (Broadcom BCM4306 based) PCI card but that refused to be seen in Lion DP, so I replaced with a Broadcom BCM4318 MiniPCI wireless card plugged into a PCI adapter which worked flawlessly in 10.6.7 and Lion DP4 but it refuses to work with 10.6.8.

The card is seen but is off, try and turn it on and it tries but times out and reverts to off again. Also, the the system is very unresponsive while it's plugged in - lots of slowdowns and spinning beach ball - but fine when removed.

I also got have a G31m-ES2L and I tried updating to 10.6.8, however, I get a kernel panic in normal boot.

The kernel panic is something like this:

(there are some more info here but I will not type it)

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):
		org.slice.driver.FakeSMCRadeon(1.0)@0x55b8e000->0x55b92fff
		dependency: org.netkas.FakeSMC(2.7.2)@0x55b02000
		dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6.5)@0x55b02000

(some more text here)

I can boot to safe mode fine.

I have an ATI Radeon 4550 which works fine with the previous versions. I've already added my device ids (ATI4600Controller.kext) and as a matter of fact, when I'm in safe mode, my resolutions are detected properly. BTW, my framebuffer is Peregrine.

I've used this FakeSMC: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1206 (this is what I've been using ever since)

I've rebuilt cache still nogo.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

thanks douggle - But I think my problem relates to GFX not ACPI ..

D

Looks like the problem is specific to the XFX 5770 card. I have the same one and can't get into desktop anymore either. I've seen reports of others with that card having the same problem. Looking forward to a solution if anyone comes across one!

Weird .. I've tried rolling back AppleACPIPlatform and IOPCIFamily from 10.6.7 backup install but it didn't work so Also rolled back all the ATI kexts and it still not work.

Sure I cleared all caches, repaired permissions etc. (and removed UseKernelCache=Y from c.a.b.p.)

I get to end of boot sequence in verbose text (Which looks perfectly normal.) then it just hangs. it's not a freeze (i.e. it's gone on and booted to desktop.) cos i see 'sleep s0, s1 etc .... ' verbose messages when I press and hold power button to shut the machine down.

Bugger !

EDIT - ssh would not connect to remote host, afp and vnc neither but showed as either a bonjour computer or a connected server in finder on another mac on my LAN. I have both enabled in finder preferences. Im rolling back my clone of 10.6.7 cos I need to use that machine.

After update to 10.6.8, receive [PCI configuration begin]. Repair it, by replacing AppleACPI & IOPCI kexts, from my SL 10.6.7. Just for info for anybody else, to backup before update those kexts..

hi,

what if I already stuck at [PCI configuration begin], how to bypass and then replacing those 2 kexts?

(just fyi I use iatkos s3 v2 as a base system installation)

any help will be very appreciate ... thx

Lost native power management, and only showing 4 of 6 cores in kernel.log.

10.6.7;

Jun 23 08:03:14 localhost kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios 222233

10.6.8;

Jun 23 20:25:56 localhost kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios 0000

hi,

what if I already stuck at [PCI configuration begin], how to bypass and then replacing those 2 kexts?

If you don't have a backup install to boot into then your best bet would be to boot into an install disk and try to remove the kexts using terminal and then copy old kexts from a USB.

D

for the record, updated was without issues other then AppleHDA.kext (simple fix)

Installed Combo update on the HP DC7700 and it failed, did a fresh install of 10.6.0, combo update, installed chameleon 1057, latest FakeSMC and other needed kext, created a DSDT.aml for the HP and it is working.

Weird .. I've tried rolling back AppleACPIPlatform and IOPCIFamily from 10.6.7 backup install but it didn't work so Also rolled back all the ATI kexts and it still not work.

Sure I cleared all caches, repaired permissions etc. (and removed UseKernelCache=Y from c.a.b.p.)

I get to end of boot sequence in verbose text (Which looks perfectly normal.) then it just hangs. it's not a freeze (i.e. it's gone on and booted to desktop.) cos i see 'sleep s0, s1 etc .... ' verbose messages when I press and hold power button to shut the machine down.

Bugger !

EDIT - ssh would not connect to remote host, afp and vnc neither but showed as either a bonjour computer or a connected server in finder on another mac on my LAN. I have both enabled in finder preferences. Im rolling back my clone of 10.6.7 cos I need to use that machine.

Yes same thing for me, it gets to the end of boot in verbose then just sits there. I can ssh into the machine so it is up and running, just no graphics.

Yes same thing for me, it gets to the end of boot in verbose then just sits there. I can ssh into the machine so it is up and running, just no graphics.

Have you tried a different framebuffer?

"Hoolock", 3 maybe .. had to put my machine back to 10.6.7 for now and forgot to try!

D

EDIT - does your machine normally sleep when you press the power button? if so do you see onscreen verbose message relating to sleep if you press power button when gfx has hung?

Have you tried a different framebuffer?

"Hoolock", 3 maybe .. had to put my machine back to 10.6.7 for now and forgot to try!

D

EDIT - does your machine normally sleep when you press the power button? if so do you see onscreen verbose message relating to sleep if you press power button when gfx has hung?

Just rolled back to the ATI kexts from 10.6.7 and XFX 5770 works fine again.

Just did the update to 10.6.8. But absolutely backed up first with Carbon Copy Cloner. Update went fine through software update. Sounds works, graphics good. Seems a little faster...

My hardware configs can be found in my signature if you want to see if it will work on similar HW. Using kakewalk W/Chameleon

Ran combo updater, rebooted, it seemed to hang on PCI Configuration Begin.

But the HDD led kept flashing, it was booting anyway, except nothing happened on the screen.

I was able to restart blind using the keyboard.

Booted into my 10.6.3 install DVD partition, replaced the IOPCIFamily and AppleACPIPlatform kexts with ones from 10.6.7, fixed permissions. Booted fine this time, but I lost hardware accelerated graphics!

Installed the latest nvidia quadro drivers...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-macosx...f01-driver.html

...rebooted, got hardware acceleration back.

Obviously AppleHDA + controller.kext need to be repatched as well.

/EDIT Arrrrghh, the Perl script that patches AppleHDA for AD2000B no longer works!! I opened up AppleHDA in a hex editor and the numbers that I'm supposed to patch are no longer there. At least AppleHDA from 10.6.7 still works.

Hopefully someone can figure out this new PCI Configuration Begin/ACPI stuff in 10.6.8.

I saw some reports from people being able to boot by typing DSDT=no...very strange, unfortunately I forgot to try that before replacing kexts.

I still have my 4 P-states but I don't see any CSTInfo in IORegistryExplorer anymore and ioreg -lw0 | grep CSTInfo returns nothing.

Asus P5Q-E (ICH10R/P45) C2D E8500, Geforce GTX 460. MacPro3,1 model identifier, retail install, latest Chameleon.

I still have my 4 P-states but I don't see any CSTInfo in IORegistryExplorer anymore and ioreg -lw0 | grep CSTInfo returns nothing.

I also appear to be missing CST -- Core i5 750 / Asus P7P55D (everything else works fine, no mods needed)

Obviously AppleHDA + controller.kext need to be repatched as well.

/EDIT Arrrrghh, the Perl script that patches AppleHDA for AD2000B no longer works!! I opened up AppleHDA in a hex editor and the numbers that I'm supposed to patch are no longer there. At least AppleHDA from 10.6.7 still works.

yep, I also used 10.6.7 AppleHDA.kext

----

Anyone noticed this new Thunderbolt device in the System Profiler? (see attachment)

post-171931-1308894361_thumb.png