Mac OS X Lion announced, only $29.99, coming in July, digital-download only

Ed

47 posts in this topic

Steve Jobs and co. have announced Mac OS X Lion, version 10.7 of Apple's desktop operating system, which is due to be released next month.

Whilst Mac OS X used to $129 and purchased as a disc, Mac OS X Lion will only be available as a digital download, and for the much cheaper price of just $29.99.

Mac OS X Lion features an updated interface with more emphasis and support for multi-touch gestures, given that Apple's line of portables (Macbooks, Macbook Pro's and Macbook Airs) are outselling their desktop counterparts 3:1. There are also no scrollbars present in windows when using gestures, bringing the OS more inline with it's mobile sibling, iOS.

mbplion-300x220.jpgExposé and Spaces are now unified in the all-new Mission Control which gives users a new way to manage their windows and space, which is especially appropriate given that the new OS has support for full-screen applications.

Resume and Auto-save are other new features that may just tip many to upgrade from 10.6, which allow users to pick up their applications right from where they were the last time they opened them, including window size and position, and even highlighted text. Auto-save is self-explanatory, but great to see this as a system-level feature.

The popular Mail app sees a major overhaul, with an iPad style widescreen layout with message down the left-hand side and the message viewer as a square area to the right. Searching has been vastly improved for more refined and efficient searching.

Mac OS X Lion will be released in July as a 4GB, $29.99 download via the Mac App Store.

I'm sure someone will find a way.

This may sound ignorant, sorry:

App Store will download it and probably store it in a temporary folder..and it will be a DMG? Or is it not as easy as that?

Irrelevant:

Apple's OS X Lion section on their site has some kind of space-ish wallpaper. Not the OS X Lion default wallpaper it shows on the laptops/desktops, but the space background on the site itself.

I need a full version of that.

Also--did anyone else get reminded of Windows NT when they saw that space wallpaper? :lol:

UPDATE:

Found it.

http://images.apple.com/v/macosx/a/images/overview_hero.jpg

Like I said--WINDOWS NT.

I would imagine that the 4gb download of lion is some kind of pkg, and I suppose it should be simple enough to intercept it and patch it before the installer executes. I'm no expert but that would seem the way to approach it...

I'm quite impressed at the way they're going about killing the disc - it's balls out just like killing off the floppy drive with the iMac but this time through software!

:-)

Rick

Well, hopefully the files are hacked and an installer created...also surely there will be a final GM seed which we can get?

Currently I'm running Lion DP 3 and its running well, there are enough guys on the scene to pull this off (unfortunately I'm not one of them!). Trust in the community.

Have faith!

Surely we can create an installer disk updating the system directly to 10.7, but that would be illegal like any distro. I worry about the real macs with which I repair daily. Entering in a company and saying "let's just download 4GB PER COMPUTER for a clean install of the latest OS"...

They are obligating hackintoshers back to "illegality" (depends on the Country) and making sure we have no arguments.

Tired to say that, but in my country binding a product to another - even OSs to PCs - is illegal under our antitrust-law ("venda casada" in our case is not only illegal, but CRIME, responsibles can get in jail).

If Dell was obligated to sell every laptop in a non-os or other-os versions, why is Apple immune to regulation?

And just to think that in Clinton's administration M$ was almost split in 4 by justice for just including Internet Explorer in Windows.

No User Agreement is above Law.

Well, I bought the retail dvd for Snow Leopard. I installed it with my custom pc with minimal issues. And even then, those issues were resolved with the help of this awesome community. If I have to purchase Lion online via the Mac app store, so be it. I just hope that installing the update will break the system. I love my new Mac(PC) and I will probably not use windows that much anymore rofl. Only time will tell, and who knows? Maybe some one (or some people) here will develop a method to install Lion through a dvd or maybe, just maybe Apple will release a Retail DVD.

I’m sure this decision to download via Mac store only will {censored} off a lot of people. If they complain hard enough, I’m sure Apple will not disappoint their customers, as they have not. As much as I love the ideas behind Lion, I love my Mac the way it is more. If installing this update will break my system, I will not update till it is safe to do so. I’m also sure that a lot of people here feel the same way.

You don't have anything higher than 10.6.3 at the moment. Updating it to 10.6.7 (to get App Store) and then to 10.7 sounds ridiculously unpractical...

Actually, it looks like you'll need 10.6.8...

post-413183-1307447889_thumb.png

I fail to see how this is a problem for hackintosh though... The Dev Preview is already downloaded via the App Store and its just a DMG. No reason to think they'll change that is there?

I can see how it'd be a problem for those doing a lot of reinstalls. I also see it being a problem for those who don't have fast internet. There are people still stuck on Dial Up you know, Apple (not me thank god :P)

Nice one.

About legality. I dunno how many of you live in the EU. But here the laws clearly state that all regulations about a specific piece of software have to be visible to a buyer before purchase. And Apples rule against installing OS X on non-Macs is in the EULA, so in the EU this rule doesnt apply.

Happy Hackintoshing

Nice one.

About legality. I dunno how many of you live in the EU. But here the laws clearly state that all regulations about a specific piece of software have to be visible to a buyer before purchase. And Apples rule against installing OS X on non-Macs is in the EULA, so in the EU this rule doesnt apply.

Happy Hackintoshing

Yes, that was one of the regulations that I was talking about, by changing the OSX installation method to mac-appstore only (and many people concern about this since mac appstore announcement regarding future apple software releases) you make that the EULA of Mac Appstore - which includes the obvious "rules" - MUST be read and accepted BEFORE downloading the "download-only" software. As so their problem with the regulation of EULA-before-buy is "solved".

Appstore EULA is mutant (just changed yesterday by the way) and can also be prepared to any further complications that could evolve Lion, I have been studying - perplex - the legal and illegal structures of apple license agreements since the opensource darwin in tiger (10.4.3/10.4.4 transition) and much much much was discussed here and in other places since then on the subject: the final "trouble" of the legality of hackintoshs was solved when netkas got Amit Singh's code into a kext that emulates SMC (FakeSMC) to run, making we no longer need decrypt the encrypted applications (loginwindow, dock, etc) by decryptor kexts (appledecrypt.kext, dsmos.kext, r2d2.kext r3d3.kext and so on).

Now that they know we can emulate devices, be by software, bootloader or firmware hacks, they inserted Lion in appstore-only format, so you NEED to agree with its EULA BEFORE buying.

I don't want to revive that old "let osx86 die" discussion, but - besides the inventive form of no longer using patched kernels and decrypters by hackintoshers - apple finally made a move toward us. It is not yet a move, as real mac users are complaining a lot and they can still change their minds, but on what touches apple legal environment, this can be considered a signal to anyone who did follow the history line of OSX86.

A sad signal.

------

EDIT: So, in The EU, just like here (same rule in our law, it comes from Portugal), now their EULA terms CAN apply, and hackintoshing will be back into the same underground of Tiger days: doable, totally doable, but no longer "bought without consent".

That is a really stupid decision. What if I have an Intel Mac with Leopard on it and it's perfectly capable of running Lion. I don't want to upgrade to Snow and then to Lion. I just want a clean install of Lion.

They'll bring the DVD back, just U watch.