What network cards work?

Dartamis

613 posts in this topic

U need Xcode tools, its 700mb and u can get it from apple website when u register.

how do i use this Xcode tool to do that "sudo make install"?

i have the same problem as maxos. make: command not found when trying to apply "sudo make install" for tulip files... please help me! thx!

Belkin F5D7010 ver. 1315AB (version 1 card). I think versions 1 and 2 use a Broadcom chipset before they changed it in versions 3, 4, and 5. I read posts that those versions use a Realtek RT2500 driver? Some have had success. I found the card on eBay for $10. Just remember to ask the seller the version so you know what you're getting. It was the easiest route to get wireless going since getting the Intel ProSet 2915g wireless seemed next to impossible.

Basically, I inserted the card, booted into OSX. Got the card info from profiler. In my case it is pci14e4, 4320.

I then drilled into IO80211Family.kext --> Plugins --> AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext --> --> Contents--> Info.plist file and added the following lines. You can edit with whatever editor you choose.

<string>pci14e4,4306</string>

<string>pci14e4,4320</string>

My file has the following lines:

<string>pci14e4,4306</string>

<string>pci14e4,4311</string>

<string>pci14e4,4318</string>

<string>pci14e4,4320</string>

I saved the file, fixed permissions in the disk utility, rebooted and voila, I had the airport icon in the system tray (albeit grayed out). It then became a matter of activating it and setting up with my Linksys router. I use WEP without any problems.

I did not delete any kexts nor edit the networkpreferences.plist file either. There was some discussion about en0 becoming en1. My networkpreferences.plist file reflected both so I left it alone.

hth

dman

I've got 2 simular PCI ethenet cards:

D-link DFE-530TX or DFE-550TX (I don't remeber exectly wich ones).

I'v symply tryed enstructions from 2-d page, but without changing anything. Could you tell me in a bit more simple way, what and were should I change fore my cards? Where exectly chould I look up for IDs?

My mac os sees 2 ports and en0 in ethenet settings, smth strange in pci (3 usb hosts insted of one, one othe device insted of two ethenet cards)

Adaptec ANA6911A/TX - works in native mode

Can you tell me the exact commands i need to put in the Terminal..I have been messing with this for a bit...but dont know what to put, what do i put for cd command.

I've written up a quick guide on the wiki on how I set up my network card using the Darwin Tulip kext. See here

Can you tell me exactly what command to type in Terminal for CD command ...

• 2 weeks later...

D-Link DFE-528TX works with Osx 10.4.4 , sweet ! :construction:

(it's detected as a Realtek in Windows XP)

The Asus MB P4P800's integrated network card didn't work, so I tried the D-Link card I got for free with my Ethernet Internet modem.

OSX gets Internet from my 1st PC on XP that is sharing its Internet connection.

I also can browse my 1st PC's shared folders without any additional settings..!

For those of you who're having their network sys pref pane crash with the 10.4.3 kext, do this. It fixed mine, I'm using a generic Realtek 8139.. dunno if it'll work for other cards.

You'll need a copy of:

1. IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.4.3

2. IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.4.4/5.

Instructions:

1. Open up the kext from 10.4.3 (right click, show package contents.)

2. Open Contents/PlugIns/(Relevant Kext)/MacOS/(driver thing's name?)

--- For me, it was Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext/MacOS/AppleRTL8139Ethernet

3. Copy the file into the exact same location, in the 10.4.4/5 kext.

--- I did this by logging in as "root".. old trick from the 10.4.1 days. See footnote for instructions.

4. In Terminal, do the same old chown/chmod ritual.

--- chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

--- chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

5. Reboot with -v. (Or not.)

Footnotes:

-- Enabling "root" User --

1. Log in on any account with Admin privilegdes.

2. Start the NetInfo Manager, which is in the Application/Utilities folder.

3. From the top menu bar pull down the "Security" item and select "Enable root user". You will have to enter the administrator's password to authenticate yourself.

4. Logout. Click "Other", and log in.

*I got it all (more or less) until Instructions 4. I'm new to OSX so please help.

*Also i'm a little hazy with Instructions 2. My card is a Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection. What would i write in that case? Any ideas?

Thanks for any help ;)

Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC - Works good

Realtek RTL8169 (Gigabit) Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC - Works good too

BELKIN High-Speed Mode Wireless G Desktop Network Card 125G (F5D7001)

Hello,

I tried to install my Broadcom 5788 nic and I deleted my IONetworkingFamily.kext file.

Would somebody be so kind and send me the file because I don`t have the install DVD??

OS 10.4.5

hamster@masterlan.de

sbzabel@gmx.de

Thanks for the help.

So I just input the whole of chown "-R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext" (minus ") into the terminal and hit return and then enter the whole of "chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext" and hit return again?

Sorry never used the terminal.

--- For me, it was Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext/MacOS/AppleRTL8139Ethernet

My card is an Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection. What would I write in that case?

I know when I was looking at this forum and site afew months ago while researching to install OSX 10.4.* on my P4 that the on-board LAN on the Asus P4P800-E Deluxe (Marvell Ethernet) was not supported nativly by OSX 10.4.*.

Has this status changed any? Are there any hacks/cracks to get it to function?

I'm trying to attempt something that, as far as I know, hasn't been done before. I'm setting up (or trying to set up) my computer to boot into one of 3 OSes. Primary/Default: Windows XP Pro. 2nd: Windows Vista Beta 2. 3rd: Mac OS X 10.4.*. Has anyone attempted something like this before?

Previously, when I had 10.4.1 installed, I had to boot directly from the DVD because it wouldn't boot from the 2nd hard drive. I would like a "boot menu" to come up giving me the option of loading XP, Vista, or OS X. Ideally, the menu would like the following:

1) Windows XP Professional

2) Windows Vista (Beta 2)

3) OS X "Tiger" 10.4.x

Allowing me to highlight one of the 3 OSes.

Does ANYONE have any ideas as to how to accomplish this?

I'm also in the mist of trying to get my brand new ATI X1600 Pro AGP 8x/4x with 512MB RAM to work with Windows Vista Beta 2. Does anyone have any thoughts? I've been told to use XP drivers, but I don't know how to tell Vista to do that. If any one knows, that'd be great. I've heard some discussion about this Video card running natively on OS X, have we varified that it does run natively?

Thanks for any and everyones help! Much thanks in advance.

:D

No joy on a Dell Inspiron 6000 with Broadcom 440x wired port or Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG using the Goatsecx install DVD of 10.4.6. I'm gonna try the JAS disk patched using PPF Omatic 3. I'llpost back when I've tried it................;)

For those of you who're having their network sys pref pane crash with the 10.4.3 kext, do this. It fixed mine, I'm using a generic Realtek 8139.. dunno if it'll work for other cards.

You'll need a copy of:

1. IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.4.3

2. IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.4.4/5.

Instructions:

1. Open up the kext from 10.4.3 (right click, show package contents.)

3. Copy the file into the exact same location, in the 10.4.4/5 kext.

--- I did this by logging in as "root".. old trick from the 10.4.1 days. See footnote for instructions.

4. In Terminal, do the same old chown/chmod ritual.

--- chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

--- chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

5. Reboot with -v. (Or not.)

Footnotes:

-- Enabling "root" User --

1. Log in on any account with Admin privilegdes.

2. Start the NetInfo Manager, which is in the Application/Utilities folder.

3. From the top menu bar pull down the "Security" item and select "Enable root user". You will have to enter the administrator's password to authenticate yourself.

4. Logout. Click "Other", and log in.

I don't know what i would use on Instruction 2. for Relevant Kext. As mentioned I have an Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection. When I go into plugIns I get this (shown under windows):

All I can guess is that it must be either AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext or AppleIntel8255x.kext.

Anyone have any idea of what it might be?

• 3 weeks later...

I too am a little disappointed at the networking situation; after about 5 installs, I got 10.4.6 working, but I have no networking, despite the HCL saying the TrueMobile 1300 is supported natively. I have never owned a Mac, so I REALLY wanted to test drive before I went and dropped $3G on another laptop (that apparently still has heat problems). I have searched for any explanation of how to get this working, but have as yet found little.

hi there, dell wireless 1370 on an inspiron 710m works great, but there was a trick: I didn't know how to edit the kext file (search for the instructions), so I just copied into the desktop, edited it and pasted it back. THIS DOES NOT WORK! I got an error message after reboot. however, I read a GREAT TRICK around here: go to applications, utilities, disk utilities, repair permissions and you are done!!

Dell Inspiron 9300, no luck getting Broadcom 440x to work.

As a matter of fact, the thing won't work in XP either. I'm booting using Chain0, off of the same HDD, and ever since I put OSX86 10.4.6 on there, the network card won't register. OSX86 isn't able to detect anything in the PCI slot, and XP just keeps telling me that there's no cord in the ethernet slot, despite the fact that there clearly is.

Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG won't work either, but that's to be expected. I haven't even started working on that, since I've been preoccupied with the fact that my network card refuses to work. At all.

Any tips?