What network cards work?

Dartamis

613 posts in this topic

I'm not quite sure how to bind the second port of the virual serial port pair to the virtual machine.

I see that it's possible to enable one or two serial ports using the Phoenix bios setup screens. You can access the bios setup screens screen by pressing F2 during the initial startup of the virtual machine. As shown in the attached screenshot, there are four available addresses for the serial ports:

3F8 IRQ4

2F8 IRQ3

3E8 IRQ4

2E8 IRQ3

post-8172-1125236181_thumb.png

I have tried all of these and I still cannot get a reply from WinXP when the terminal window opens in OSX's Internet Connect utility.

Saturn49, can you offer any clarification on how to set up the serial ports in the virtual machine so that one of the VM's serial ports is bound to one of the virtual pair in WinXP?

Thanks in advance.

-M.

VMWare works with a serial port / PPP connection.  I used a demo of Virtual Serial Port Driver XP v5 to create a pair of serial ports.  I bound one of them to Incoming Connections, no flow control, 115200.  Allow directly connected users to connect without a password, give it a pair of IP addresses under TCP/IP config.

The other serial port I bound to the Virtual Machine.  Within OSX select the Null Modem at 115200 as your modem, unselect compression and wait for dial tone.  Under PPP Options, select use terminal window.  Click Connect.  When the terminal window appears, type in CLIENTCLIENT and hit enter (you won't see anything in the window as you type).  The XP side should respond with CLIENTSERVER.  Click connect.  If all goes well you'll be connected via PPP.

Those of you using Native mode can probably do the same thing with a null modem cable.

There's some hacks you can do to your mdmhayes.inf to prevent needing to type in CLIENTCLIENT manually:

http://www.tivohelp.com/archive/tivohelp.swiki.net/45.html

We do the same trick for directly connected TiVos, should work fine here too.

post-8172-1125235897_thumb.png

I have a ASUS A8V Deluxe mobo with built-in Marvell 88E8001 ethernet. Doesn't work. It would be nice for someone to make a kext for the Marvell cards, because one kext would work with many of the recent ASUS mobos, which use Marvell ethernet adapters.

This is what I'm getting at installation

Last login: Tue Aug 23 16:34:51 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
tiger-x86:~ thesleeper$ cd /Users/thesleeper/Desktop/darwin_tulip-x86-1-0-0/    tiger-x86:~/Desktop/darwin_tulip-x86-1-0-0 thesleeper$ sudo make install
Password:
set +e; for x in /Users/thesleeper/Desktop/darwin_tulip-x86-1-0-0/tulip.kext/Contents/MacOS /Users/thesleeper/Desktop/darwin_tulip-x86-1-0-0/tulip.kext/Contents /Users/thesleeper/Desktop/darwin_tulip-x86-1-0-0/tulip.kext/Contents/Resources/English.lproj; do \
       test -d $x || mkdir -p $x; \
done
WARNING: Installation step will check if this driver is already installed and loaded.
If it is, it will delete the original driver and install the new one. A reboot will load
the new driver, or follow the instructions printed at the end of the installation for
manually unloading the old driver and loading the new one.

cp: ./tulip: No such file or directory
cp: ./bundle/Info.plist: No such file or directory
cp: ./bundle/InfoPlist.strings: No such file or directory
/Users/thesleeper/Desktop/darwin_tulip-x86-1-0-0/tulip.kext does exist. Continuing...
sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/tulip.kext /tmp/backuptulip
sudo mv /tmp/tulip.kext /System/Library/Extensions
echo ""; \
echo "To load this driver without going through a reboot, follow these steps.";\
echo "WARNING: Unloading the old driver will disrupt your network on this machine if it is active!!"; \
echo ""; \
echo "1. Type: sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/tulip.kext"; \
echo "   note: This command will request your Administrator or root password"; \
echo "2. Type: sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/tulip.kext"; \
echo "3. Done!"

To load this driver without going through a reboot, follow these steps.
WARNING: Unloading the old driver will disrupt your network on this machine if it is active!!

1. Type: sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/tulip.kext
  note: This command will request your Administrator or root password
2. Type: sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/tulip.kext
3. Done!
tiger-x86:~/Desktop/darwin_tulip-x86-1-0-0 thesleeper$

Is this normal? I don't think so it says some files don't exist

What have I done wrong, I really need some help here! thanks

I remeber getting that same error thesleeper. I believe it was because I followed the instructions for the developer version of tulip, which involved a bunch of makefile commands and overwrote the kext. Then when I went to install it, there was nothing to install. So make sure you follow the proper instructions in the readme. B)

I have tried all of these and I still cannot get a reply from WinXP when the terminal window opens in OSX's Internet Connect utility.

Saturn49, can you offer any clarification on how to set up the serial ports in the virtual machine so that one of the VM's serial ports is bound to one of the virtual pair in WinXP?

In the VM's hardware configuration you need to add a serial port. When you do, tell it to bind to a physical serial port and select one of the two virtual serial ports you created. This first serial port will be COM1 (3F8 IRQ4) inside the VM.

Ok, found it. I looked and looked but didn't find the "Add" button in VMware's VM hardware settings screen until I read your reply. I'll test it later and report the result here. Thanks.

In the VM's hardware configuration you need to add a serial port.  When you do, tell it to bind to a physical serial port and select one of the two virtual serial ports you created.  This first serial port will be COM1 (3F8 IRQ4) inside the VM.

Alright, I got the PPP part of the connection up and running. One other stumbling block was that every time I changed the BIOS serial port settings, I had to configure a new connection in the Internet pane of System Preferences. It seems that each different address is treated as a unique connection. One of these days, I'll boot up OSX with only one serial port active, and then reboot with the next one active, and so on until I've identified each of the 4 addresses. Each time, I'll name the serial port connection in System Preferences after the address that is active in the BIOS. This will make it easier to tell which is which.

Thanks again.

-M. L.

I had tried:

CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

D-Link DFE-530TX

Realtek 8139B

with no luck. Then i noticed my cable modem had a usb connection...

I tried it, and it immediately detected the usb connection as built in ethernet..

So nice!

some of you said that Realtek 8139 cards are natively supported under OSx86 ... but in my release 1 native OS X the card just won't be recognized under networks settings !!!

I tried to plug the card into MY G5, and the card was only recognised while using the realtek driver !!!

so is there a driver needed to have the network card active ?

some of you said that Realtek 8139 cards are natively supported under OSx86 ... but in my release 1 native OS X the card just won't be recognized under networks settings !!!

I tried to plug the card into MY G5, and the card was only recognised while using the realtek driver !!!

so is there a driver needed to have the network card active ?

I think u will find the right Driver on the Darwin 8.01 CD. I use Realtek Cards in a couple of Macs i got. the Realtek 8169 Gigabit or the 8139 10/100. On my Dell Optiplex GX260 Gigabit Network worked right away supporting also Jumbo MTU size that my G4 Dual doesnt.

Alright, I got the PPP part of the connection up and running.  One other stumbling block was that every time I changed the BIOS serial port settings, I had to configure a new connection in the Internet pane of System Preferences.  It seems that each different address is treated as a unique connection.  One of these days, I'll boot up OSX with only one serial port active, and then reboot with the next one active, and so on until I've identified each of the 4 addresses.  Each time, I'll name the serial port connection in System Preferences after the address that is active in the BIOS.  This will make it easier to tell which is which.

Thanks again.

-M. L.

How did you get osx to recognize the serial port as a modem? I mapped the port through vmware, but I don't see a modem.

my Broadcom 57xx Onboard NIC does NOT WORK

I have Dell Optiplex GX280

please, if someone can remove that card from supported list, because IT DOES NOT WORK, and I have tried virtualy anything possible to make it work...

I have the Broadcom 57xx on a Dell Latitude D600 and it does work. Sort of. Sometimes it works on boot up, sometimes it doesn't. When it does work, it tends to conk out after 5-10 minutes or so, but it has worked enough to bring up a page or two on the internet. Not sure why it is flakey.

• 2 weeks later...

Works:

BELKIN F5D7001UK

Didn't Work :

Belkin USB to Ethernet Adapter

Linksys WUSB12

Netgear GA311 Gigabit Ethernet

RealTek Combo Full Duplex ISA £15.95 from Matmos (www.matmos.co.uk) didn't fit in mb.