[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

Thank Doix very much for Lx02X v1.1 intaller.i have a Dell xps L502x work with MAC OSX lion. But my Intel HD3000 graphics work bad. It work with QE/CI and often freezes, artifact after i use software effect (iphoto's slide show, photoshop...) or watch movie. i have been found on more web (tonyMacx86,insanelymac,revogirl,macbreaker....) and tried all. I can't fix.

Sorry for my bad English.

Can you help me? please!

@kgraphic, This thread contains ample information related to every possible bug encountered so far... there are about 3 pages related to gfx freeze and possible fixes (jkbuha posted most of them) find and read them.

I don't have time anymore, as i've said.. my exam is this month and i'm studying 12h/day (its what you get for being lazy/working on other things). I'm confident you can figure it out or that someone else will help you.

I'll try to help when the issue is a 5minute one that i know how to quickly fix, but on complex ones like the gfx freeze i must pass. I promise however that when i'm done with the exam, i'll implement a fix in the installer package and release/compile/develop the full free and opensource alternative to tonymac's packages.

• Like 1

hi guys,i try to install iatikos l2.

i have a big problem.i have a17 bios i5-2520m 6gb ram nvidia 550m (1600x900 no3d)

when i try to boot iatikos l2 dvd suddenly bootlooder is freezing and doesnt respond.(but the dvd is working , i try to my friend laptop and it wasnt freeze )

my problem is

(and this one solved link given by the guy who recorded this video.its doesnt work to me too.)

http://www.osx86.net...der-freeze.html

i try to install on usb but its problem to'' operation system is not found''

i try to install chamelion 2.1,( 5 different verisons) and chimera 1.6 on usb but still operation system no found.

i try to boot u.n.i.be.a.s.t (didnt work for me)

i try to reboot cd.

Please help me for this issue.İ try so many way but i couldn't install successfully.

whats the wrong thing?

i just want to install successfully ..the other problems i can fix all other problems about driver or kernel panic.

.almost i have been trying to fix it more than the 1 month.

sorry my english.

@ i7Hackintosh :

Okay, maybe you can try it, to get your Windows installation recognized by the Windows install CD... I don't promise you it will work.

1) Boot on the WIndows install disc and choose your language ;

2) On the screen with "select the installation to repair" bla bla, choose "Other tools to repair, ..." (or something like this. I think it's the first option) ;

3) Then, press next and choose "Command prompt" and type the following : (without the quotes)

- "diskpart" and then "list disk" ;

- There, choose the disk where you have the Windows partition typing this : "select disk X" (X is the number of the disk where you have the Win partition)

- Type "list partition" and then, look at the partition where Win is installed and type "select partition X".

- Type "active"

4) Reboot your computer with the Windows CD to boot on it, you will normally be able to see the Windows installation and repair it.

I hope this helped you!!

See you.

PS: The topic you linked is locked... :)

I am confirming this after Two Weeks of different tests which involved video games COD for 8 Hours continuously and UT2004 for 4 Hours almost every day and tested heating by running the laptop for two days continuously with Virtual Box etc.

100% Freeze Free

100% Free of Graphics Artifacts

How I fixed random freezes:

1) Remove SSD from your all root even from Extra folder

2) Use these commands to set permissions to Kext folder and Do not use any other Utility or Commands after these to build cache etc.

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Caches/

sudo kextcache -update-volume / -f

3) Do not use disk permissions from Disk Utility otherwise you will have all the problems back again, not sure how to fix this issue maybe its from the boot loader, I am using 1.9.2

How I fixed Graphics issues:

I am not using DSDT from DoiX to disable Nvidia still using wen-dsdt you can get from the first page and:

UseKernelCache=Yes

GraphicsEnabler=Yes

UseNvidiaROM=Yes

VBIOS=Yes

also injecting bios 10de_0df4.rom

If you have i3 Processor must use: 8,1 smbios.plist

If you have i5 Processor must use: 8,2 smbios.plist

If you have i7 Processor must use: 8,3 smbios.plist (I have i7 so using this)

That's It!!!

I finally moved to this laptop and enjoying from last 14 days and its much much faster then mac mini and I can play Games from Steam so i am very very happy and fully satisfied..

Easy on the colors.

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Caches/

sudo kextcache -update-volume / -f

Does the exact same thing as Disk utility... except only for the Extensions folder. Disk utility fixes the WHOLE drive permissions. Sometimes rebuilding kextcache if it founds extensions to be bugged.

GraphicsEnabler=Yes

UseNvidiaROM=Yes

VBIOS=Yes

also injecting bios 10de_0df4.rom

This does squat for optimus users...

If you have i3 Processor must use: 8,1 smbios.plist

If you have i5 Processor must use: 8,2 smbios.plist

If you have i7 Processor must use: 8,3 smbios.plist (I have i7 so using this)

False...

8,1 is the equivalent of i5 and i7 DUAL CORES with 13" screens. There is no official i3 on MBPs but since it's just another dual core 8,1 will do it.

8,2 -> i7 QUAD CORES with 15" screens..

8,3 -> i7 QUAD CORES with 17" screens.

Smbios's affected mainly the boot and some graphics parameter, the CPUs are not altered by the smbios version (not on i7's at least) because we use custom SSDTs and when it is affected, it's related to P-States only, nothing you would notice without proper monitors. Also If you're using stock everything then smbios 8,1 is the best, for it suits the iGPU better than the rest due to the platform driver in the kexts. If you're using modded kexts/efi string then it doesn't matter if its 8,1 or 8,3.

1) Remove SSD from your all root even from Extra folder
i assume you mean SSDT.. if that's the case then, by removing it, you disabled full Turbo Boost. Meaning your laptop won't overheat... effectively reducing the graphics artifacts caused by heating, after all it's a GPU built in the CPU, its prone to do that. (overheat)

Please do not post contradicting informations, curent/future readers will get confused.

hi guys,i try to install iatikos l2.

i have a big problem.i have a17 bios i5-2520m 6gb ram nvidia 550m (1600x900 no3d)

when i try to boot iatikos l2 dvd suddenly bootlooder is freezing and doesnt respond.(but the dvd is working , i try to my friend laptop and it wasnt freeze )

my problem is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXR3Egkrze4

(and this one solved link given by the guy who recorded this video.its doesnt work to me too.)

http://www.osx86.net...der-freeze.html

i try to install on usb but its problem to'' operation system is not found''

i try to install chamelion 2.1,( 5 different verisons) and chimera 1.6 on usb but still operation system no found.

i try to boot u.n.i.be.a.s.t (didnt work for me)

i try to reboot cd.

Please help me for this issue.İ try so many way but i couldn't install successfully.

whats the wrong thing?

i just want to install successfully ..the other problems i can fix all other problems about driver or kernel panic.

.almost i have been trying to fix it more than the 1 month.

sorry my english.

I assume Blangsak DVD didn't install NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, the KPs you got are related to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. DSDT provides half of the patch required for your system to fully work. Considering the sleep error, i assume you didn't install from the package the patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (AICPUPM 10.7.4) < please do so. Touchpad jumping around.. hmm, please go to System Preferences > Trackpad, do you have options there? If no, then your trackpad is actually being detected as a mouse hence the jumping bug. You can try to manually reinstall the kexts/ fix permissions if that still doesn't work i could mean your trackpad is not a Synaptic, then i guess you can try VoodooPS2. @markman, i'm not sure... but if memory serves, that error means that all your kext files were skipped during the creation of the kextcache. Probably because of bad permissions... boot with UseKernelCache=No, if you manage to boot through(note: it may take a while, a blue screen will appear "maybe" and it will stay a while...) use KextWizard's Maintenance option to repair permissions and rebuild kextcache. Again, this may take a while.

You are right. My touchpad is Cypress. Is there a 64 bit VoodooPS2 to try? Or it is ok that I just use 32 bit version? I use patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext after upgrading to 10.7.4 and the KP is gone. Voodoo battery seems to cause KP too. I am still doing more experiments to see what caused a problem. Thanks!

Sorry no hard feelings, but I tried every method on this forum but the truth is every day mac become more and more unstable and after three days become useless so what I find two weeks ago that by removing SSDT.aml and don't doing repair permissions and rebuilding kextcache etc. fixes everything.

Also forget to mention to use USB 3.0 Ports try USB 1.1 very old Hub and you will see working.

Thank you all for every effort.

@DoiX

Great work with your new installer package!

Had no time to test it until now. ;)

looks like it works fine

except for smartbattery: battery icon doesn't show up.

voodoo works

question:

everytime I testrun your packages I have to manually add the following lines again which is actually a pain.

Is is possible not to replace the whole boot.plist but to leave the other lines?

btw the graphics mode line is a nice add for the full-hd people. It shows the apple icon at boot in the right proportions

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1080x32</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Hide Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,1)</string>

(btw2 the hd(0,1) partition is the windows 7 recovery partition which most people will have)

i7-2630qm full hd 6 gb 750 gb

@ i7Hackintosh :

Okay, maybe you can try it, to get your Windows installation recognized by the Windows install CD... I don't promise you it will work.

1) Boot on the WIndows install disc and choose your language ;

2) On the screen with "select the installation to repair" bla bla, choose "Other tools to repair, ..." (or something like this. I think it's the first option) ;

3) Then, press next and choose "Command prompt" and type the following : (without the quotes)

- "diskpart" and then "list disk" ;

- There, choose the disk where you have the Windows partition typing this : "select disk X" (X is the number of the disk where you have the Win partition)

- Type "list partition" and then, look at the partition where Win is installed and type "select partition X".

- Type "active"

4) Reboot your computer with the Windows CD to boot on it, you will normally be able to see the Windows installation and repair it.

I hope this helped you!!

See you.

PS: The topic you linked is locked... :)

Yeah, somebody locked it, I think they got offended by my anti-censoring of swears... hehe.

Well, it turns out somehow the f**king id1otic Mac OS X installer corruped my other NTFS partition when I was installing. How the hell it did this, I don't know, but... Yeah, it did it. I am currently using "EaseUS Mac Data Recovery Wizard" from my Hackintosh install to get my family pictures and stuff like that back.

I really am pissed off that the stupid Macintosh installer somehow managed to destroy my Windows partition, because now I ain't going to have genuine Windows after I re-install. *COUGH*

Nice one, apple. Don't know what the point of me typing more is, but hey, I guess if I kept you interested enough to read until here, I did quite a good job. :P

Okay, I'm just going to let EaseUS finish running for now. I'll post more about my system later.

PS: My graphics on my Hackintosh install seem a bit low-def. It covers the whole screen, but it has that "not-HD" sorta feel to it. Does this mean I haven't installed the kext's properly, or are all your hackintosh installs like that?

You are right. My touchpad is Cypress. Is there a 64 bit VoodooPS2 to try? Or it is ok that I just use 32 bit version? I use patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext after upgrading to 10.7.4 and the KP is gone. Voodoo battery seems to cause KP too. I am still doing more experiments to see what caused a problem. Thanks!

I don't think theres a custom driver for the Cypress trackpad... I'm pretty sure you can find a 64bit version of VoodooPS2 on osx86.net. Try other battery kexts, maybe you'll get lucky, report back if you find something to work. I'll add it in the next rev of the package.

Sorry no hard feelings, but I tried every method on this forum but the truth is every day mac become more and more unstable and after three days become useless so what I find two weeks ago that by removing SSDT.aml and don't doing repair permissions and rebuilding kextcache etc. fixes everything.

Also forget to mention to use USB 3.0 Ports try USB 1.1 very old Hub and you will see working.

Thank you all for every effort.

None mentioned using USB3, specially not for installing or anything similar. And i explained it... what you said, is the opposite of what Mac OS X natively requires/does... and i'm pretty sure there is no "Black" Mac OS X.

looks like it works fine

except for smartbattery: battery icon doesn't show up.

voodoo works

question:

everytime I testrun your packages I have to manually add the following lines again which is actually a pain.

Is is possible not to replace the whole boot.plist but to leave the other lines?

btw the graphics mode line is a nice add for the full-hd people. It shows the apple icon at boot in the right proportions

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1080x32</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Hide Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,1)</string>

(btw2 the hd(0,1) partition is the windows 7 recovery partition which most people will have)

i7-2630qm full hd 6 gb 750 gb

I just checked the source code... package maker inverted some lines again. It installs AppleACPIPlatform from voodoo battery and viceversa. http://dl.dropbox.co...atform.kext.zip manually install this.

I agree, it's a pain :D. The next revision will have a script that updates current boot.plist instead of replacing them. As for the hide partition thing, i'll see what i can do... i'm not exactly fond of adding something that newbies will accidentally use and then cry their "Windows" partition vanished from the boot screen. Maybe a script that detects the windows partition but i'm not sure of how i can do that.

@curufperlit erhm, either you burned the DVD at high speed... or your dvd drive is malfunctioning.

To install using USB use the guide posted in the Mac OS Install l702x thread first page.

Or format the USB stick as MBR partition, NOT GUID... restore L2 DVD on it (while making sure it's still MBR)... then boot the USB stick. If you still get that operating system error, try installing a bootloader on the stick (if you have another OS X install) or try to use the Boot LE dvd (sorry mods) to boot the USB Stick.

• Like 1

Guys, can anybody give me a link to the kext for Intel HD 3000 graphics on it's own?

I have the 1366x768 version of the display on my XPS, and I would really appreciate it.

At the moment, I am stuck with 1024x768 graphics because no matter how many times I try to get native resolution, it fails.

Are there any kexts I need to remove before installing the IntelHD3000 graphics?

I don't think theres a custom driver for the Cypress trackpad... I'm pretty sure you can find a 64bit version of VoodooPS2 on osx86.net. Try other battery kexts, maybe you'll get lucky, report back if you find something to work. I'll add it in the next rev of the package.

DoiX,

I guess the Voodoo Battery problem might be due to mismatching AppleACPIPlatform. I tried one together with Voodoobatery from osx86 and no longer KP.

http://www.osx86.net/view/2648-appleacpiplatform_amp;__voodoobattery.html

For the touchpad, still no luck. I remember I had no problem with 10.7.1. Will try to reinstall to find out...

Still can't wake from Sleep. Not trying VoodooHDA yet (it worked when I was at 10.7.1)

try install iatkos L1 OR L2 on my laptop Xps i5 still waiting for root device please HELP

I'm assuming you are trying to install via USB.

Make sure you are using a USB STICK, and not an external HDD, and make sure that you have the USB 3.0 kext modified in your installer. :)

PS: I am still waiting for the IntelHD3000 graphics kext... Anyone going to make a small mini-tutorial just for me? :P (it would be greatly appreciated)

DoiX, I guess the Voodoo Battery problem might be due to mismatching AppleACPIPlatform. I tried one together with Voodoobatery from osx86 and no longer KP. http://www.osx86.net/view/2648-appleacpiplatform_amp;__voodoobattery.html For the touchpad, still no luck. I remember I had no problem with 10.7.1. Will try to reinstall to find out... Still can't wake from Sleep. Not trying VoodooHDA yet (it worked when I was at 10.7.1)

Doix,

I tried to install 10.7.1 multiple times but still get touchpad jumping around. Then I installed 10.6.7 and install the driver from the animal package and the touchpad is NOT jumping around. (BTW, I found on 10.6.7, I only need to install the string to the boot.plist and no need to use the HD 3000 kexts from 10.7 to get the native resolution). Then I installed that animal package PS2 kexts to 10.7.4 but still got jumping TP. Then I started to compare the boot.plist from both side and eventually found that UserKernelCache makes the difference. By removing it or set to No, I got the TP working as a mouse correctly. Any clue why this would make a difference? Meanwhile I would appreciate if you can shed some lights on the wake from sleep problem...

Doix,

I tried to install 10.7.1 multiple times but still get touchpad jumping around. Then I installed 10.6.7 and install the driver from the animal package and the touchpad is NOT jumping around. (BTW, I found on 10.6.7, I only need to install the string to the boot.plist and no need to use the HD 3000 kexts from 10.7 to get the native resolution). Then I installed that animal package PS2 kexts to 10.7.4 but still got jumping TP. Then I started to compare the boot.plist from both side and eventually found that UserKernelCache makes the difference. By removing it or set to No, I got the TP working as a mouse correctly. Any clue why this would make a difference? Meanwhile I would appreciate if you can shed some lights on the wake from sleep problem...

Intel HD 3000 is natively supported in lion, if you have id 0x116 and 0x126 (which afaik are the only ids on sandy bridge cpus) *this being a hint to i7Hackintosh*. UseKernelCache=Yes means the system will use the pre generated kext list when starting up, instead of loading them individually each time. I can only assume voodoops2 has some broken permissions which is why it did not get included in the kextcache. (read some more info here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=279373 )

As for the sleep problem, hard to say since i don't have your model.. it could mean you need your own DSDT modded (like i said before) or that your bios is simply incompatible with sleep on OS X. On the L502x, sleep gets broken after A06 bios version. Try downgrading your bios one version at a time to see which one, if, enables sleep.

To downgrade simply download an older bios version from Dell site and install it using Windows... thats pretty much it.

• Like 1

Intel HD 3000 is natively supported in lion, if you have id 0x116 and 0x126 (which afaik are the only ids on sandy bridge cpus) *this being a hint to i7Hackintosh*. UseKernelCache=Yes means the system will use the pre generated kext list when starting up, instead of loading them individually each time. I can only assume voodoops2 has some broken permissions which is why it did not get included in the kextcache. (read some more info here http://www.insanelym...howtopic=279373 )

As for the sleep problem, hard to say since i don't have your model.. it could mean you need your own DSDT modded (like i said before) or that your bios is simply incompatible with sleep on OS X. On the L502x, sleep gets broken after A06 bios version. Try downgrading your bios one version at a time to see which one, if, enables sleep.

To downgrade simply download an older bios version from Dell site and install it using Windows... thats pretty much it.

I seem to have found the root cause of the random KP during boot earlier. It seems to be caused by the VoodooHDA. After removing it, I have no more KP but I lost audio too... BTW, seems the HWSensor doesn't work for me as I always got Super IO warning. How do I remove the kext?

It's just a warning, related to the fan controller (that if your system has some similarity to the l502x). Anyway, HWSensors are pretty general, should work on most recent models. There's another reason for the HWMonitor app to not indicate anything.

Individual plugins are found in FakeSMC.kext/Contents/Plugins. Notice: removing FakeSMC.kext will make your system unbootable.

• Like 1

None mentioned using USB3, specially not for installing or anything similar. And i explained it... what you said, is the opposite of what Mac OS X natively requires/does... and i'm pretty sure there is no "Black" Mac OS X.

I just checked the source code... package maker inverted some lines again. It installs AppleACPIPlatform from voodoo battery and viceversa. http://dl.dropbox.co...atform.kext.zip manually install this.

I agree, it's a pain :D. The next revision will have a script that updates current boot.plist instead of replacing them. As for the hide partition thing, i'll see what i can do... i'm not exactly fond of adding something that newbies will accidentally use and then cry their "Windows" partition vanished from the boot screen. Maybe a script that detects the windows partition but i'm not sure of how i can do that.

@curufperlit erhm, either you burned the DVD at high speed... or your dvd drive is malfunctioning.

To install using USB use the guide posted in the Mac OS Install l702x thread first page.

Or format the USB stick as MBR partition, NOT GUID... restore L2 DVD on it (while making sure it's still MBR)... then boot the USB stick. If you still get that operating system error, try installing a bootloader on the stick (if you have another OS X install) or try to use the Boot LE dvd (sorry mods) to boot the USB Stick.

The graphics mode is a good idea. I wouldn't include the hide partition though. It's system specific. For instance, on my dell, the windows bootloader files are installed to the recovery partition for some reason. So I have to boot the recovery partiton, and not the main windows partition to start windows.

--Adeeb

It's just a warning, related to the fan controller (that if your system has some similarity to the l502x). Anyway, HWSensors are pretty general, should work on most recent models. There's another reason for the HWMonitor app to not indicate anything.

Individual plugins are found in FakeSMC.kext/Contents/Plugins. Notice: removing FakeSMC.kext will make your system unbootable.

Ended up I only need to remove the SuperIO plugin.

While reading the log, I found there are errors about HD 3000 but I got my resolution and depth right.

Jun 6 19:43:32 localhost kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD3000Graphics - library kext com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily not found.Couldn't alloc class "AppleSMCPDRC"

Jun 6 19:43:32 localhost kernel[0]: Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD3000Graphics - failed to resolve library dependencies.

Jun 6 19:43:32 localhost kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD3000Graphics failed to load (0xdc00800e).

Jun 6 19:43:32 localhost kernel[0]: Failed to load kext

The system report says below. Is the graphics not running correctly?

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 3000

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 384 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x0116

Revision ID: 0x0009

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1366 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes