[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
2976 replies to this topic

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Ah ok....so thats probably not something which will help my case.Since my boot screen would freeze after having pressed any button in the IAtkos boot menu.

Indeed, I'm not sure it's related to your problem.
In which USB port do you plug your USB iAtkos key? The 2.0 one?

maxey

maxey

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Indeed, I'm not sure it's related to your problem.
In which USB port do you plug your USB iAtkos key? The 2.0 one?

Nope, using the DVD...USB didn't work from the very beginning. :D

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Nope, using the DVD...USB didn't work from the very beginning. :D

Oh =s So can't help, cause I always used the USB. I tried with the DVD once, but didn't load Chimera/Chameleon =s

Concerning the fact it doesn't load from USB : Did you make sure "USB emulation" is activaed in your BIOS :)

maxey

maxey

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Oh =s So can't help, cause I always used the USB. I tried with the DVD once, but didn't load Chimera/Chameleon =s

Concerning the fact it doesn't load from USB : Did you make sure "USB emulation" is activaed in your BIOS :)

Haha the point is actually that it tells me "No Operation System" when i select usb :)

amh10

amh10

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
A quick search here did not reveal the answer...

Is there any way of getting the eSATA port to work?

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Oh =s So can't help, cause I always used the USB. I tried with the DVD once, but didn't load Chimera/Chameleon =s Concerning the fact it doesn't load from USB : Did you make sure "USB emulation" is activaed in your BIOS :)

And is your USB using a MBR table partition?
Once iAtkos.dmg restored to your key, did you try reinstall Chameleon on it? (ticking every useful option as SMBios, ... under Personalize)

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

A quick search here did not reveal the answer...

Is there any way of getting the eSATA port to work?

The eSATA port is the only USB2.0 on the right of the computer, am I right?
So, if I'm right, that USB port works. But I can't tell about some special feature related to eSATA...

maxey

maxey

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

And is your USB using a MBR table partition?
Once iAtkos.dmg restored to your key, did you try reinstall Chameleon on it? (ticking every useful option as SMBios, ... under Personalize)

Well i just restored the iAtkos Image to it. I think i used Mac OS extended journaled for formatting the USB.
I didnt install Chimera on it. Thought the IAtkos itself should have chameleon pre installed? (Thats how i can boot from DVD i guessed)

Something else i found : A Program called "Champlist" . It is somehow related to chameleon but tells me "Boot cannot be read! It may be damaged or has root:wheel permissions."
Could that be the reason for my boot problems?

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Well i just restored the iAtkos Image to it. I think i used Mac OS extended journaled for formatting the USB. I didnt install Chimera on it. Thought the IAtkos itself should have chameleon pre installed? (Thats how i can boot from DVD i guessed) Something else i found : A Program called "Champlist" . It is somehow related to chameleon but tells me "Boot cannot be read! It may be damaged or has root:wheel permissions." Could that be the reason for my boot problems?

That's the way I did it too... And yes, Chimera/Chameleon is already installed on the DVD... If chimera is installed, it's normal you get a "boot damaged" with Champlist...

But just to be sure, wouldn't you try to install Chameleon on it once it's been restored.
And maybe, before restoring the dvd to your USB stick, make sure that it's MBR table.

- Open Disk Utility and select the USB stick (not the partition, but the stick itself, with the commercial name of the stick : 8Go Rainbow Lite Intenso or something like this)
- Click the Partition tab on the right column and select "one partition" then "settings" and there set MBR table and not GUID)
- It will ask you to erase the volume, click yes
- Restore iAtkos L1/L2 to your stick and try booting from it
- If you can't, then try installing Chimera or Chameleon on the stick and retry
- If doesn't work, I really don't know :(

EDIT :

I suppose you use iAtkos L2? Because I gave it a try about now and I get the same "No Operation System found" message as you get... I read somewhere that someone fixed this issue by installing Chimera 1.6.0 on the freshly restored USB drive... Didn't try it for now but in a few minutes, I'll give it a try and let you know :)

With iAtkos L1 : No problem on USB key...! Weird

Edited by Rockball73, 14 March 2012 - 07:29 PM.

NotMeAgain

NotMeAgain

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Has anyone the knowledge to remap the MIC to the LINE-IN port?

Within Windows when you connect a device to the MIC port, you get a pop-up asking whether to use it as a Microphone or as Line-In.

This is important as i do a bit of music production on this laptop, and using it by default as the Microphone introduces a lot of hiss/noise/pre-amplification.

Ahmed_shiko

Ahmed_shiko

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
help install snow leopard on dell xps l502x

specs:

intel core i5 -2410m
vgd intel hd 3000- nivida gt 525m
4gb ram
hard disk 500 gb

try install

iAtkos l2

mouse usb did not moveduring theentryon the screen of install

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

help install snow leopard on dell xps l502x

specs:

intel core i5 -2410m
vgd intel hd 3000- nivida gt 525m
4gb ram
hard disk 500 gb

try install

iAtkos l2

mouse usb did not moveduring theentryon the screen of install

If you try to install iAtkos L2, you won't get Snow Leopard but Lion!!

And concerning your mouse, in wich USB port did you plug it in? The only one orking during the install is the USB2.0 one (on the right of your L502x) So you'll have to plug your mouse in this one.
But if your touchpad works during the install, you don't need your USB mouse working. When OS X is installed, install DoiX package and everything should work fine! :) Even you USB mouse. I'm using one at the moment, and it's erfectly working on both USB3 and USB2...
Here is the link to DoiX's Guide : Dell XPS15 L502X Lion Install

If you have questions I can try to help you, but I'm not expert. I can only tell you what to do and no to do, thanks to the problems and issues I've met during my install.

Ahmed_shiko

Ahmed_shiko

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
try install snow leopard 10.6.3 on my laptop dell xps l502x

error install

bsd process name corresponding to current thread : unknown

Mac OS version: Not yet set.

Kernel version: Kernel Darwin 10.0.0

system uptime in nanosecond:12167363

plz help me...

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

try install snow leopard 10.6.3 on my laptop dell xps l502x

error install

bsd process name corresponding to current thread : unknown

Mac OS version: Not yet set.

Kernel version: Kernel Darwin 10.0.0

system uptime in nanosecond:12167363

plz help me...

I can't help you since I never tried Snow Leopard but, did you try with flags such as 'busratio=xx' (where xx is your Busratio : see www.intel.com), 'GraphicsEnabler=No', ...

bastisk8

bastisk8

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
New Bios A10 is out: http://www.dell.com/...?driverID=93TVF
Changelog: 1.To fix lid function failed in DOS. 2.Modify fan max speed value to fix WBDD tool fan.exe test failed if system in high temperature 3.Added LED test interface for factory. 4.Sync solution from Queen for IFIR fan noise issue

Did anyone try if sleep is working again?

Ahmed_shiko

Ahmed_shiko

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
try agin install snow leopard 10.6.3 on my laptop

screen error Different

"panic(cpu 0 caller 0x558993): "Unable to find driver for this platform:\"ACPI\"

plz helllllllllllllp...

Download a copy iatkos s3 v2 or iatkos l2

amh10

amh10

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

New Bios A10 is out: http://www.dell.com/...?driverID=93TVF
Changelog: 1.To fix lid function failed in DOS. 2.Modify fan max speed value to fix WBDD tool fan.exe test failed if system in high temperature 3.Added LED test interface for factory. 4.Sync solution from Queen for IFIR fan noise issue

Did anyone try if sleep is working again?

Just updated to A10...no difference that I can see for the sleep function....

tjpapas

tjpapas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello everybody, this is my first post ( I couldn't pass those quiz tests lol) Anyways, over the last 4-5 days and a lot of reading, studying, google searches, trial and error, I have successfully installed 10.7.1 and windows 7 or so I think by following the guide on page 11 and this one as well. So many thanks to the O.P's on both guides and all of you who continue to help out. I do have a few questions if some of you can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

The AICPUPM kext gave me many problems. I would say it was all my fault for not paying attention. Anyways it was causing kp's at boot. This is what I did originally, I booted up using rBootLE, I deleted the AICPUPM from S/L/E ( I made a backup), then ran the kext utility/disk utility to repair permissions and no more kp's at boot. I did a couple GeekBench tests both were 5554.

I went back to page 11 guide to look at the "patched AICPUPM" under Post Lion Install, so I installed it thru the L502x V6 by only selecting AICPUPM 10.7.1 (I didn't install it the first time around since I thought it was for i7's only) I did get errors that it didn't install correctly so I ran the kext/disk utilities and rebooted normally using -v to look for

kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios <number>
kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete
kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient: ready

I did see this and according to the guide on page 11 the AICPUPM should be patched and I should have ST working, right? My Geekbench scores were lower this time 4839, 4851 Is this normal?

Also, I'm running the smcK-Stat-i app to detect the temps. Are the 100's suppose to say 100?? (See Pic)

Lastly, I put the laptop to sleep and it goes to sleep. But when I open the lid the indicator lights on my keyboard turn on but the laptop screen stays black. I read on this thread that sleep function was working, can someone point me in the right direction once again? thanks

Okay no more questions, thank you everybody.

Attached Files

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Hello everybody, this is my first post ( I couldn't pass those quiz tests lol) Anyways, over the last 4-5 days and a lot of reading, studying, google searches, trial and error, I have successfully installed 10.7.1 and windows 7 or so I think by following the guide on page 11 and this one as well. So many thanks to the O.P's on both guides and all of you who continue to help out. I do have a few questions if some of you can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

The AICPUPM kext gave me many problems. I would say it was all my fault for not paying attention. Anyways it was causing kp's at boot. This is what I did originally, I booted up using rBootLE, I deleted the AICPUPM from S/L/E ( I made a backup), then ran the kext utility/disk utility to repair permissions and no more kp's at boot. I did a couple GeekBench tests both were 5554.

I went back to page 11 guide to look at the "patched AICPUPM" under Post Lion Install, so I installed it thru the L502x V6 by only selecting AICPUPM 10.7.1 (I didn't install it the first time around since I thought it was for i7's only) I did get errors that it didn't install correctly so I ran the kext/disk utilities and rebooted normally using -v to look for

kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios <number>
kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete
kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient: ready

I did see this and according to the guide on page 11 the AICPUPM should be patched and I should have ST working, right? My Geekbench scores were lower this time 4839, 4851 Is this normal?

Also, I'm running the smcK-Stat-i app to detect the temps. Are the 100's suppose to say 100?? (See Pic)

Lastly, I put the laptop to sleep and it goes to sleep. But when I open the lid the indicator lights on my keyboard turn on but the laptop screen stays black. I read on this thread that sleep function was working, can someone point me in the right direction once again? thanks

Okay no more questions, thank you everybody.

Concerning the AICPUPM :
- Did you put the Enable P/C States lines in chameleon.boot.plist?
- Did you put a SSDT.aml file in the root of your OS X install to see if it gives any changes?

Concerning the sleep :
- Maybe that if you have troubles with your AICPUPM, it's related to it, because if P/C states are not enabled, sleep doesn't work...
- In your signature, I can see you have A09 bios installed : Install the A06 one, since sleep only works with this one for now.

Concerning temps :
- As far as I know, the 100° on the second line are for the 4 threads that some CPU's have. As you have a i5 with 4 threads, you only get 4 temps and the 4 others @100°. But I'm not sure of it...

sheyac

sheyac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
For your geekbench score: You need to use the SSDT for your CPU (I posted links to another thread for the i5, the ones in the pack are for i7 - not sure where to get i3 ones from) or use the enable P and C states in you chameleon boot.plist file as a minimum.

If you do go the SSDT route make sure you edit your org.chameleon.boot.plist to disable c/p states and to drop ssdt. There was a discussion about this earlier in the thread.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy