[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
2989 replies to this topic

dominusdj

dominusdj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
the laptop is l502x , is the same as the guide, the only differences are that mounts 8gb, GT 520 graphics card and processor 2820qm. I don't know the revision but the kext that i install are like a guide.

Probably it's new relase, but what is the differences ?How I should install to different from the tutorial of lion?

I do not know, i'm demoralized :wacko:

can you tell me which kexts i should install?

Sorry for my bad english

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • Interests:Photography, design, beer.
Well the same kexts i highlighted in the tutorial should work for you, hm did you try with the rBoot LE CD from tonymac yet?

Wingom

Wingom

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

the laptop is l502x , is the same as the guide, the only differences are that mounts 8gb, GT 520 graphics card and processor 2820qm. I don't know the revision but the kext that i install are like a guide.

Probably it's new relase, but what is the differences ?How I should install to different from the tutorial of lion?

I do not know, i'm demoralized :(

can you tell me which kexts i should install?

Sorry for my bad english

The busratio for the 2820qm is 23 (from here: http://ark.intel.com/products/52227) so try "busratio=23"
Also, according to the OP you should do the installation with 4gb of ram first.
Try that.

dominusdj

dominusdj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
It's the same with 4gb and 23 of busratio , the script stop like ever at "buffer pool allocate [181000] failed

whith rBoot system say: "This is a non recoverable error! System HALTED!!!"

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
Let me do some research, i may have an idea about whats causing this :( i'll reply asap.

SpeBlue

SpeBlue

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Just tried installing Lion today on my L502x, here's the results.

Booted and installed from iAtkos L1. No problems other than 1024x768 resolution, but KB/M worked fine.

Booting from HD (-v GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=23) stalls after
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::startForReal - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out
Transcript Offline - Buffer Pool Allocate [181000] failed

A line above says the DSMOS has arrived, if that helps.

When booting from rBoot LE, same flags, it prints out the same lines as above but continues to the first-run GUI. Once there, though, it can't detect the keyboard. Native resolution, 1366x768.

dominusdj

dominusdj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
My XPS 15 stop whith the same line: "Transcript Offline - Buffer Pool Allocate [181000] failed"...

We expect DoiX ... :(

rndlgna

rndlgna

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

My XPS 15 stop whith the same line: "Transcript Offline - Buffer Pool Allocate [181000] failed"...

We expect DoiX ... :(

I faced this issue before, this problem relates to intel HD3000 graphics
my hd3000 dev id is 0116, what I did to fix this problem is by downloading and installing DSDT.aml from the first post at http://tonymacx86.co...hp?f=15&t=28851
but to install this you have to boot into osx first, try booting with -x (it worked for me last time, and maybe with GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=20). after you've sucessfully booted, install the DSDT file (run #####, choose install userdsdt and macbookpro8,1 in customizations>system def.), after that try to boot normally (without -x)

hope that helps.

Just tried installing Lion today on my L502x, here's the results.

Booted and installed from iAtkos L1. No problems other than 1024x768 resolution, but KB/M worked fine.

Booting from HD (-v GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=23) stalls after

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::startForReal - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out
Transcript Offline - Buffer Pool Allocate [181000] failed

A line above says the DSMOS has arrived, if that helps.

When booting from rBoot LE, same flags, it prints out the same lines as above but continues to the first-run GUI. Once there, though, it can't detect the keyboard. Native resolution, 1366x768.

plug usb keyboard just for the first run, after that you dont need it anymore.

dominusdj

dominusdj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Not even start with the -x even if I add the various strings...

SpeBlue

SpeBlue

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks rndlgna, -x helped get to the first run screen from HD boot, I'll report back to you all when I get an external keyboard to use.

As a general question, is there any reason a PS/2 keyboard, connected through a PS/2 to USB converter, wouldn't work? I have an old PS/2 keyboard lying around and it'd be much cheaper for me to just get a converter :blink:

rndlgna

rndlgna

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Thanks rndlgna, -x helped get to the first run screen from HD boot, I'll report back to you all when I get an external keyboard to use.

As a general question, is there any reason a PS/2 keyboard, connected through a PS/2 to USB converter, wouldn't work? I have an old PS/2 keyboard lying around and it'd be much cheaper for me to just get a converter ;)

I don't know, Ivent tried that.
Just borrow a usb keyboard, it would be the cheapest option since u'll just gonna use it once. .

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
Sorry for the late answer, had a dead line on a work related project.

@dominusdj I suspect the problem in your case is either the System Definition or the Intel HD graphics like rndlgna already mentioned but latest build of chimera supports most of Intel HD id's so it may not be that also do you have panels with Facial Recognition or with multi touch?

Anyway here is a possible fix to boot up your system:
1. boot with -v -s
2. /sbin/mount -uw /
3. sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext
4. reboot

Now boot with -v -f GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=23

OR install chameleon instead of chimera just so you can boot and install DSDT which should in theory fix the boot with chimera.

@SpeBlue, if you can't get an external USB keyboard you have 2 options.

1. Reinstall iAtkos L this time chosing PS/2 Keyboard options (maybe it will help you)
2. Get the kext pack from my updated tutorial and put the kext folder on a usb stick then boot with -v -s to use the command terminal to copy the kexts from the USB stick to the extensions folder.

/sbin/mount -uw /
sudo cp /Volumes/Stickname/Kexts/AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo cp /Volumes/Stickname/Kexts/ApplePS2Controller.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

Now boot with the extra -f flag aside the one you used to get it working.

SpeBlue

SpeBlue

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the help DoiX.

Not sure if this is due to the kexts being installed manually or if this would have happened before, but I still get the "No keyboard connected" screen. However, when I press Alt-Q (mapped to Cmd-Q), it recognises the keys. I think it may just be a problem with the first-run application, in which case, is there any way for me to fill in the details it asks for by single user mode line and bypass the GUI? I know there's a file that gets created to tell OS X that first-run is complete, I'm just wondering if I need to do anything more than just create my user account?

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
@SpeBlue, yes there is, google that question i only used the command line once and i can't remember it:) post here the results

SpeBlue

SpeBlue

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Created my user account manually and added /var/db/.applesetupdone (skips first run screen). If anyone else wants to do it this way, you'll want to mount the drive as always, run the launchctl command on this page, then follow the dscl guide here from commenter Ivan, then before you restart run 'touch /var/db/.applesetupdone'

The kexts seem to be installed, and my DSDT is in /Extra, but when I boot the AppleHDA kext fails to load correctly, and then the system stops before loading the GUI, which seems to be the HD3000 problem. If I boot with -f, it boots to the desktop (1024x768) with all other kexts (except AppleHDA) working, and there's a message in the console saying 'SNB Framebuffer did not show up, unload'

Would updating to 10.7.2 fix either of these problems?
I'm going to try some other methods to get the HD3000 working, I'll report back with results.

EDIT: Added the MacBookPro8,1 smbios from ##### and that's got the HD3000 detected and working with QE/CI, but uh, there's a new problem now, picture attached.

Attached File  IMG_20111022_130930.jpg   216.43KB   121 downloads

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
Wow, first time i see that. All kexts should be installed in S/L/E, kext caches must be rebuilt and booting made with UseKernelCache=Yes
As for the screen, give me your laptop specs and what DSDT are you using? FHD one posted by me might be causing this.

SpeBlue

SpeBlue

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Forgot to add UseKernelCache=Yes, sound is detected now but still not working.

Specs:
CPU: i5 2410M
GPU: HD 3000 & NVIDIA 525M
RAM: 4GB 1333MHz DDR3
LCD: 720p HD WLED, not multi-touch version
HDD: 500GB Western Digital
WiFi: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000

Using the HD Display DSDT, not the Full HD one.

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
The sound problem is a recurring one, do kextstat in terminal or open kext wizard and see if AppleHDA is loaded, if not manually load it yourself and see if sound is working. Lion has serious problems with booting from kextcache and with -f flag. If audio works after manually loading it then i suggest you do manually create the extensions.mkext, drag and drop all kexts from extensions folder in Kext Wizard > Installation > Extensions.mkext to desktop, then copy it to System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext deleting everything else that is in that folder.

As for the video problem, rename your DSDT to DSDT2 see if that affects anything. If it boots normally try using wen1's original DSDT.

Don't forget to repair disk permissions after you copy it ;) (also by using kext wizard)

Edit: People reported success using this command line
sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

SpeBlue

SpeBlue

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Renamed your DSDT to DSDT2, screen was fixed :D
Added wen1 DSDT and ran the kextcache command, then repaired disk permissions and now audio is half working!

It works when I plug in headphones, but not through the built-in speakers. This isn't a problem for me as I keep the headphones in all the time, but I should point it out in case anyone else gets this problem.

Thanks again DoiX, you're a great person.

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
I'd better update my post and specify those DSDT we're optimized for i7 SB version of this laptop :D

As for the headphones thing, check sound settings they are probably scrambled. If that doesn't work then it may be that your laptop has a different audio configuration tho it's highly unlikely.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 1 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy