CMOS Resets on Restarts after Sleep and Wake in 10.7 (Lion)

rayap

474 posts in this topic

Can confirm that post #340 patch fixed this on GA-P35-DS3R running OS X Lion 10.7.2.

I've also kept the vanilla AppleRTC.kext in /System/Library/Extensions and placed the patched one into /Extra/Extensions, it overrides during boot!

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed my system hasn't been sleeping past couple of days. I believe it tries to. The display goes black, but all lights/fans stay on. I find it strange since it was working before. I don't think I've changed anything significant since the problem started. Beyond that, when 10.7.2 was released, I updated Cham, and switched to using UseKernelCache flag. Though again, I don't believe I had a problem immediately after all that, I sleep the system several times daily and would have noticed if it happened after those updates. Any ideas?

Edit:

Some inconsistencies noticed. Sometimes the display goes black and everything stays on fans/lights, usb periphs. Other times the display goes off and turns back on almost immediately. =/ Don't know what to make of it.

Thanks rayap, deleted the caches and restart. The issue remains =/. I was thinking, could it possibly be hardware? Seeing as it was working from 10.7.0 to .2 up until just recently without any real reason to (that I can see at least). Maybe I'll see if Windows is sleeping properly. Other than that, I suppose I could try a fresh install soon.

Hi,

i have a Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3 (f7) motherboard and the CMOS Reset Problem. When i shut down lion sometimes the pc won´t start. I must press sometimes 10 times the startbutton, sometimes 50 times, until the pc will start. Then i get a black screen with a main bios checksum error and the cmos will be reset to verison f4.

- I disabled usb legacy (didn´t help)

- I patched the appletrc.kext in E/E

- I deinstall my realtek lan 2.0.6 driver and install the Lnx driver (the cmos didn´t reset)

Now when i shut down the pc, it won´t start. Only after some time, but now the cmos didn´t reset. I think this was a problem with the realtek lan driver. I hope someone can help me, that the pc will start every time.

Hi,

I have a couple questions if anyone would mind answering them. I have 10.7.2 and my RTC DSDT _CRS Name method has 0x02 length. Thats how it was as I didn't have to mod it when I pulled my DSDT from the PC under Linux. Though I never have tried to put the machine to sleep I think I've seen that 128mb RTC error pop up occasionally. Right now I have ElliotRTC in the Extra folder though and if I patch the AppleRTC Kext should I delete the Device (RTC) from my DSDT and remove ElliotRTC?

Thanks.

1- patch AppleRTC

2- remove ElliotRTC

3- clear kext cache -- refresh the /Extra/Extensions.mkext too, Kext Wizard recommended.

It's not necessary to touch the DSDT, otherwise the kext probably won't load and halt your system. Just a guess, never did that.

• 2 weeks later...

I came into this forum for help but found this post... if I understand correctly, is this why my BIOS seems to be resetting to a non-good configuration with crashes and sometimes (maybe? not sure) going to sleep? Important configurations like ICH SATA Control Mode, Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode, and more are changed.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to patch AppleRTC.kext to eliminate the CMOS reset issue on my Gigabyte GA-P45-UD3P mobo. I tried it and it doesn't seem to work because the "Modified Date" on the file isn't changing. Do I have to modify S/L/E permissions to apply the patch?

how come if i delete sleepimage it still exist when reboot?

Merely deleting the sleepimage is not sufficient as the system simply recreates it upon reboot. To prevent that from occuring, you must first set your hibernate mode to zero via this terminal command:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

I tried it and it doesn't seem to work because the "Modified Date" on the file isn't changing.

Are you sure you're looking at the right file? Look closely at the Perl script, towards the end.

My guess is you're looking at the modified date of AppleRTC.kext instead of the AppleRTC binary inside the kext.

I install Lion on USB HDD, it work, but,

When i shut down lion the notebook won´t start. The error is in the image. I

must press sometimes 10 times the startbutton, sometimes 50 times, until the pc will start.

My notebook is Acert TM 6292.

Can you help me?

post-624069-0-24231100-1325348110_thumb.jpg

Added 10th day of July, 2011

An alternate patch for AppleRTC.kext of Lion GM. (Post # 340)

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x44\x89\xf8|\xeb\x30\x44\x89\xf8|; s|\x75\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|\xeb\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

Comment 1st day of Septemebr, 2011

You may wish to put the patched kext in E/E and leave the Vanilla kext in S/L/E alone.

October 24th, 2011 - Above patch reportedly good for 10.7.2 too.

working.. asus p5q.. no EvOreboot and NullCPUPowerManagement

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd mention this patch isn't required on the Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3. Not sure about other Intel 6 series boards, but might be worth trying if you haven't already.

I also ran into an issue with reboot when I had this patch. Issue being: reboot doesn't work after a sleep/wake.

Removed patch and tried with stock AppleRTC.kext, sleep works fine, no CMOS reset.

Besides that, everything was incredibly easy with this board... too easy. :P

The AppleRTC executable file appears to remain unchanged in 10.7.3. However revisiting the perl script in post#340; found the following on a kext copy in Extra is sufficient:-

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x44\x89\xf8|\xeb\x30\x44\x89\xf8|' /Extra/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

• 2 weeks later...

I recently was trying to fix the sleep/wake issue on my hackintosh, and need some help. My hackintosh has a gigabyte p35-ds3l, Sapphire Radeon HD5770. Running 10.7.2, everything is good except wake up.

After the machine sleeps properly, when it is woke up by keyboard or power button, it goes to black screen directly. The power is on, fans spinning, but no output to screen. I tried to ping it from another machine, but no response. Clearly the NIC was not brought up either.

I’ve tried patching AppleRTC file, using SleepEnabler, set darkwake to 0, using official RTL8111B or Lnx2mac network card drivers, but none of them works (all black screen)

Now I'm stucked. Any suggestion?