ATI Radeon 6xxx, working QE/CI

Nuphor

791 posts in this topic

Guest ^Andy^
The "read me" implies a stability fix. How many of the files are actually changed from the the version in the installer you released? I'm a little nervous now about updating my 6870 box. Will the normal combo overwrite the new ati drivers? Will the MBP combo even run on my hack? And if so will it update the ati drivers? Are you going to make a new installer with the updated ati drivers? Why does the 6870 do so poorly on mac? Its faster than 4870 on win but <= 4870 on osx.

I can make a new installer but it probably won't be today (although maybe if I get some time tonight) and it's probably not worth the effort as I'm not even sure the ati kexts have changed.

The normal combo update may well replace your existing kexts however you can just run the ATI graphics update installer again afterwards to fix that.

The "read me" implies a stability fix. How many of the files are actually changed from the the version in the installer you released? I'm a little nervous now about updating my 6870 box. Will the normal combo overwrite the new ati drivers? Will the MBP combo even run on my hack? And if so will it update the ati drivers? Are you going to make a new installer with the updated ati drivers? Why does the 6870 do so poorly on mac? Its faster than 4870 on win but <= 4870 on osx.

I applied the non-MBP 2011 10.6.7 update and, for safe measure, re-copied the Radeon kexts and OpenCL.framework and OpenGL.framework from the MBP 10.6.7 update and repaired permissions. I have not had any issues. I have a 6850.

I applied the non-MBP 2011 10.6.7 update and, for safe measure, re-copied the Radeon kexts and OpenCL.framework and OpenGL.framework from the MBP 10.6.7 update and repaired permissions. I have not had any issues. I have a 6850.

openCL.framework looks identical to the one in 10.6.6. OpenCL QC patch still doesn't pick up the ATI card. Installed 10.6.7 and the new ati drivers from the MBP update + opencl & openGL frameworks. My cinebench score went down yet again. :D 33.07 now from 33.11 on last version of driver.

Guest ^Andy^
I can make a new installer but it probably won't be today (although maybe if I get some time tonight)...

New package built and available here ATI Graphics Update to 10.6.7 package

You may get a slight speed increase but the dvd player and geekbench crashes are still present. I have a theory about this though - I think the new drivers try to dynamically build the framebuffer for the card it thinks it has detected - for most of our cards it's not detected correctly because as far as apple is concerned it doesnt exist. What I was trying to do earlier was merge valv's and kabyl's builds of chameleon (I need valvs for the sandybridge support and kabyls for the better ati.c) and add in the id's for 6870 and 6850 cards however there are more differences between the two branches than I could sort out (rank amateur that I am) and I couldn't get it to compile cleanly. I wanted to do this because we could then hopefully use the AtiConfig command to force a specific framebuffer. I'm probably way off target but hey got to be worth a shot right?

You may get a slight speed increase but the dvd player and geekbench crashes are still present. I have a theory about this though - I think the new drivers try to dynamically build the framebuffer for the card it thinks it has detected - for most of our cards it's not detected correctly because as far as apple is concerned it doesnt exist. What I was trying to do earlier was merge valv's and kabyl's builds of chameleon (I need valvs for the sandybridge support and kabyls for the better ati.c) and add in the id's for 6870 and 6850 cards however there are more differences between the two branches than I could sort out (rank amateur that I am) and I couldn't get it to compile cleanly. I wanted to do this because we could then hopefully use the AtiConfig command to force a specific framebuffer. I'm probably way off target but hey got to be worth a shot right?

Well I'm confused at this point. I ran the previous installer and it did install the ati6000controller.kext but looking in S/L/E everything else ATI was the old stuff. I noticed that the old and new drivers have the exact same version numbers but different dates and byte counts. Is it possible that your previous installer might have seen the identical versions and not installed some of the the ati kexts? I also tried with pacifist to install some kexts from the MBP 1067 updater pkg with the same result. It seems to me that as long as the ati6000controller.kext is installed it doesn't matter what other ati kext you have. I've tried various permutations of atisupport.kext, atiframebuffer.kext installed with kext helper and the opencl and opengl frameworks from MBP 1066 and 1067. OpenGL Performance didn't change more than a point with any of the combinations I used.

It looks to me like the frame buffer config has changed. I just see RadeonFramebuffer in regExplorer and I noticed a pci configuration step during boot of the MBP 10.6.6 build that I haven't noticed before. Is that new?

Thanks for this, your are God xD

actual cinebech is? better in 10.6.7?

Thanks for this, your are God xD

actual cinebech is? better in 10.6.7?

My Cinebench 11.5 is 33.11, I had 33.22 with 4870. Score went down a nudge with 10.67 driver. My card has 5 ports, 2 dvi, 2 MDP, and an HDMI. other people report the eyefinity versions working with all the ports but if I plug in the HDMI with the two DVIs connected it kills one or both of the DVIs. Arrange displays never show more the two screens even when three are connected. I'll try the MDPs next.

Guest ^Andy^
PLEASE HAS ANYBODY TESTED THE MOBILITY 6XXX SERIES??!? The new macbook pro uses 6450 and 6750, i was wondering if the 6870/6970 would work as well.

Why not go away and test it yourself if you can't be arsed to read through the thread and come back and let us know if it works or not? :unsure:

lol @ Andy

well there's some new news relating specifically to the 6970 apparently in 10.6.7 there seems to be native support for it according to this article

http://www.9to5mac.com/57569/10-6-7-has-ne...o-card-support/

can't confirm it as I don't have the actual card but this seems to be the first x9xx card that Apple officially supports so if anyone has updated to 10.6.7, try giving the card a shot and see how it turns out.

lol @ laughingman

lol @ Andy

well there's some new news relating specifically to the 6970 apparently in 10.6.7 there seems to be native support for it according to this article

can't confirm it as I don't have the actual card but this seems to be the first x9xx card that Apple officially supports so if anyone has updated to 10.6.7, try giving the card a shot and see how it turns out.

Try reading a few posts from this thread

The link you give is just a repost of things first discussed here and at Netkas. They added their own screenshot so as to call it "news".

Myself and others have TRIED the 6970....IT DOESN'T WORK YET

People running around posting that every card mentioned in drivers "should" work hadn't tested anything but their keyboard.

lol @ laughingman

The link you give is just a repost of things first discussed here and at Netkas. They added their own screenshot so as to call it "news".

People running around posting that every card mentioned in drivers "should" work hadn't tested anything but their keyboard.

I wonder if the Intel/RADEON switching is the root of the changes in how framebuffers work in 10.6.7.

You have two GPUs sharing a single buffer.

Also, might these changes be why the new MBP initially had problems when exiting graphically demanding apps? Until the recent software update I could get my MBP to crash on demand exiting any full screen game. But windowed was fine.

Maybe OS X gets universal GPU switching with Intel IGP as the baseline. If so, Apple would give us freedom to add cards, because the 'core' features would be supported by the IGP. Everything else would be gravy.

'According to TonyMac' ? WTF??? It's not like we have been discussing it here or on Netkas blog for the last few weeks is it - ffs the credit stealing git!

He did something far more important than discovering this...he "confirmed" it...then emailed the link out to news sites.

Shows some rather poor investigative work...but any decent "confirmer" would post link to what he was confirming.

But why take a chance that someone else (original discoverer) might get credit for what you are "confirming"?

Obviously a lame-o who needs attention.

Guest ^Andy^
He did something far more important than discovering this...he "confirmed" it...then emailed the link out to news sites.

Shows some rather poor investigative work...but any decent "confirmer" would post link to what he was confirming.

But why take a chance that someone else (original discoverer) might get credit for what you are "confirming"?

Obviously a lame-o who needs attention.

Thinking about it why should we expect any different from somebody thats only claim to fame is repackaging other peoples work and taking the credit :unsure:

Info:

That list of ATI/AMD cards are now supported in OSX:

ATI Radeon HD 5630 Device ID 0x68D8

ATI Radeon HD 5630 Device ID 0x68D9

ATI Radeon HD 5670 Device ID 0x68D8

ATI Radeon HD 5730 Device ID 0x68D8

ATI Radeon HD 5770 Device ID 0x68B8

ATI Radeon HD 5850 Device ID 0x6899

ATI Radeon HD 5870 Device ID 0x6898

AMD Radeon HD 6850 Device ID 0x6739

AMD Radeon HD 6870 Device ID 0x6738

AMD Radeon HD 6970 Device ID 0x6718

Powercolor HD 6850 Device ID 0x6739

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...1-376-_-Product

Sapphire HD 6850 Device ID 0x6739

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...2-912-_-Product

Is HIS HD 6870 Turbo Device ID 0x6738

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...1-350-_-Product

HIS HD 6970 Turbo Device ID 0x6718

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814161360

enjoy

lol @ laughingman

been following the thread already and notice how I said the topic said there seems big difference from should so before you bash me for just testing my keyboard yes I'm at fault for not scrolling up and reading that you said it's "blocky" and what not.

On AMD's site it showed a 6970 being supported so you can't burn me for only following a blogging site.

been following the thread already and notice how I said the topic said there seems big difference from should so before you bash me for just testing my keyboard yes I'm at fault for not scrolling up and reading that you said it's "blocky" and what not.

On AMD's site it showed a 6970 being supported so you can't burn me for only following a blogging site.

The problem is that there are yahoos all over now reporting that 6970 works in Macs and Hacks. Everyone so eager to repost what they read but NOBODY HAS EVER GOTTEN ONE WORKING. But due to the re-posting yahoos, there is now the impression that they DO work.

I am right this second trying to tell someone on Netkas forums that the 6970 he raced out and bought is useless. That he read incorrect posts. SO while reposting yahoos spread the GOOD NEWS and pat themselves on the back for passing on a good tip, people like myself get to clean up the mess and inform people they just spent $400 for a great Windows card. The fact that 10.6.7 came out and they still don't work bodes rather poorly for them working soon. It will require either another OS update, a new iMac with 69xx card, or someone like Netkas or myself figuring out some fix. And if I am spending all my time refuting nonsense about a story that I was partially inoloved in breaking in the first place, I have little time and less inclination to work on such patch. Especially since it appears tonymac would just put it in a package and claim he wrote it.

BTW,,,what the heck does "AMD site says blah, blah, blah" have to do with this? Are they claiming it works on Macs?

ATTENTION ALL PEOPLE DREAMING OF 69XX CARDS FOR YOUR MAC OR HACK

6950 AND 6970 DO NOT WORK YET !!!!!

DO NOT BUY THESE AND EXPECT THEM TO WORK !!!!!

POSTS IMPLYING THAT THEY DO ARE INCORRECT !!!!!!

6950 AND 6970 DO NOT WORK WITH MBP 10.6.6 OR MBP 10.6.7 OR LION 10.7 !!!!!

The problem is that there are yahoos all over now reporting that 6970 works in Macs and Hacks. Everyone so eager to repost what they read but NOBODY HAS EVER GOTTEN ONE WORKING. But due to the re-posting yahoos, there is now the impression that they DO work.

I am right this second trying to tell someone on Netkas forums that the 6970 he raced out and bought is useless. That he read incorrect posts. SO while reposting yahoos spread the GOOD NEWS and pat themselves on the back for passing on a good tip, people like myself get to clean up the mess and inform people they just spent $400 for a great Windows card. The fact that 10.6.7 came out and they still don't work bodes rather poorly for them working soon. It will require either another OS update, a new iMac with 69xx card, or someone like Netkas or myself figuring out some fix. And if I am spending all my time refuting nonsense about a story that I was partially inoloved in breaking in the first place, I have little time and less inclination to work on such patch. Especially since it appears tonymac would just put it in a package and claim he wrote it.

BTW,,,what the heck does "AMD site says blah, blah, blah" have to do with this? Are they claiming it works on Macs?

ATTENTION ALL PEOPLE DREAMING OF 69XX CARDS FOR YOUR MAC OR HACK

6950 AND 6970 DO NOT WORK YET !!!!!

DO NOT BUY THESE AND EXPECT THEM TO WORK !!!!!

POSTS IMPLYING THAT THEY DO ARE INCORRECT !!!!!!

6950 AND 6970 DO NOT WORK WITH MBP 10.6.6 OR MBP 10.6.7 OR LION 10.7 !!!!!

I must say, I am one of the people who thought we were all set to go with the 69xx line when I purchased mine a week or so ago because of disinformation. Thankfully in my case it wasn't a choice, as I wanted these for my windows gaming build. People in my boat are presented with two options, look into working PCI cards for the short-term or wait things out in windows. As a developer, I miss OSX; as a man who just dumped 600 bucks into graphics cards, I may just have to deal.

Sites/people like tonymac are concerned with page views and click throughs. I doubt it is any more calculating than that. People like us however that are following the real work/tests being performed, know who is responsible for it and I would like to think we are all very appreciative of it, so keep it up! Summer is just right around the corner; I'll be surprised if Lion launches without 69xx support, so here's to hope :)

Don't bother attempting to correct any of the news postings on blogs either. I commented on the TUAW.com post regarding it only to have my post removed. Some places can't take being called out for being wrong and spreading misinformation.

Guest ^Andy^

hey rom - my 6970 arrives tomorrow, are you going to help me get it working? <ducks for cover> ;)

People like us however that are following the real work/tests being performed, know who is responsible for it and I would like to think we are all very appreciative of it, so keep it up!

Very well said and very very true!

hey rom - my 6970 arrives tomorrow, are you going to help me get it working? <ducks for cover> :)

Very well said and very very true!

You should ask ol' Tony.

He's the one who reported (actually 'confirmed') that it worked.

I'm just some bozo who noticed a few things.

You will have 2 options with 6970 and current drivers:

1. A white and or blue screen. If you are SUPER lucky, you will get a blocky BLUE screen with a white cursor.

2. By leaving out 3000.kext you may very well have a beautifully rendered desktop. In full, lovely 2D.

Poor Tony, since his posts have made his "discovery" famous, he has been deluged with people who have come to note all sorts of issues that myself and other reported 2 weeks ago here and at Netkas.

1. No GB or DVD

2. New kexts KILL DP support in many cards, more cards then it enables it in. Means most Eyefinity cards become 2 port cards in OSX 10.6.7. (Lord Steve Giveth....and...)

3. 6950 and 6970 DON'T WORK...despite being in the list that various Copy & Paste Pros have been....Copy & Pasting everywhere they can find a flat surface. Good news though, Tony is trying to fix it !!! He is even trying bits of certain OS installs in others. Brilliant !!! I never would have thought of it.

In short, by stealing his "news" from here & netkas posts of 2 weeks ago, he is now dealing with issues we had 2 weeks ago. But he has alot more people wondering why "The Promised Land" isn't quite what he promised since he had broadcast his grand discovery so much wider than we had.

His list of working cards, BTW, looks suspiciously like the list that Jeanlain was running around posting 2 weeks ago. He stole both the discovery, and the problems. Live and learn.

You should ask ol' Tony.

He's the one who reported (actually 'confirmed') that it worked.

I'm just some bozo who noticed a few things.

You will have 2 options with 6970 and current drivers:

1. A white and or blue screen. If you are SUPER lucky, you will get a blocky BLUE screen with a white cursor.

2. By leaving out 3000.kext you may very well have a beautifully rendered desktop. In full, lovely 2D.

Poor Tony, since his posts have made his "discovery" famous, he has been deluged with people who have come to note all sorts of issues that myself and other reported 2 weeks ago here and at Netkas.

1. No GB or DVD

2. New kexts KILL DP support in many cards, more cards then it enables it in. Means most Eyefinity cards become 2 port cards in OSX 10.6.7. (Lord Steve Giveth....and...)

3. 6950 and 6970 DON'T WORK...despite being in the list that various Copy & Paste Pros have been....Copy & Pasting everywhere they can find a flat surface. Good news though, Tony is trying to fix it !!! He is even trying bits of certain OS installs in others. Brilliant !!! I never would have thought of it.

In short, by stealing his "news" from here & netkas posts of 2 weeks ago, he is now dealing with issues we had 2 weeks ago. But he has alot more people wondering why "The Promised Land" isn't quite what he promised since he had broadcast his grand discovery so much wider than we had.

His list of working cards, BTW, looks suspiciously like the list that Jeanlain was running around posting 2 weeks ago. He stole both the discovery, and the problems. Live and learn.

I've gotten past the blue screen once with 6970, but it was just distorted framebuffer, nothing usable. Every other time it's just blue screen. I think i am going to give up on 6970, at least until another update.

On the other hand, my xfx hd 6870 dual fan is working amazingly well, can see 4 screens, so far exactly 0 problems with gl games / code.

I've gotten past the blue screen once with 6970, but it was just distorted framebuffer, nothing usable. Every other time it's just blue screen. I think i am going to give up on 6970, at least until another update.

On the other hand, my xfx hd 6870 dual fan is working amazingly well, can see 4 screens, so far exactly 0 problems with gl games / code.

Works dvd and geekbech?