ATI Radeon 6xxx, working QE/CI

Nuphor

791 posts in this topic

Guest ^Andy^
Very starnge all this.

Can't be IOUSBFamily Rollback witch I used ?

Can you tell me what exactly you have installed ? I'm trying to find out what is the problem for my system.

Anyway thank you for your time and sugestions.

in Extra/Extensions I have ALC8xxHDA, FakeSMC, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, JMicron36xeSATA, JMicron36xSATA and NullCPUPowerManagement.

I did not need to use the IOUSBFamily rollback! I did use the rollback for AppleHDA though but thats all.

OK this should make things easier. I have created a package that should install the kexts and set the permissions. ATI Graphics Update Package

Hopefully it will work correctly and means the install is now simple. Just disable GraphicsEnabler (or delete your injector if you have used one), run the package and reboot when the installation completes! :rolleyes:

woow thanks

Guest ^Andy^

goth73 has just pointed out that geekbench and the dvd player crash as soon as you launch them with the new ati kexts. I havn;t found any other issues yet (World of Warcraft works nicely lol).

If anybody finds a fix please post and tell us what you did. I suspect there are more files on the mbp 2011 dvd that need to be installed. Rominator - you installed pretty much all of the files didn't you - can you verify if you suffer from the same problem please?

Had almost 80 downloads of the installer package since I posted it however nobody has come forward yet to let me know if it works for them or not (although I guess if it didn't work they would have lol).

Doesn't work work for my 6950 (flashed) - had to put the id in the kext, just boots with a white screen and mouse pointer, correct resolution... (sometimes it's a blue screen with no mouse pointer...)

Guest ^Andy^
Hi Andy,

The package you made works great. Helped my friend set up his new machine with a 6850.

Haven't tried Geekbench/DVD player on it, games and so on works fine though.

Thanks man!

Excellent. thanks for letting me know :rolleyes:

Doesn't work work for my 6950 (flashed) - had to put the id in the kext, just boots with a white screen and mouse pointer, correct resolution... (sometimes it's a blue screen with no mouse pointer...)

Yes, apparently the white screen is a typical symptom of the 6900 series running drivers from Lion or the new laptops. It occurs on hack or Mac Pros.

Guest ^Andy^

I've done some digging into the crashing of the dvd player and geekbench.

I performed a fresh OS install using the macbook pro 2011 install dvd and the problem still occurs so either the dvd player simply doesn't work (unlikely) or it could be chameleon related.

Finally tossed the 6870 back in to try this.

Both crash with it in, while they don't with a GTX285 in.

So isn't your Chameleon thing as mine is Mac Pro from Cupertino (by way of China I imagine)

Andy, did you use DVD Player app from install disk? All I did was use System Components. Though it wouldn't make sense for DVD player to be different.

I will try with some other ATI cards today, flashed and unflashed. I imagine this will tell us more.

Installed using Andy's installer, on sys with 4870. Disabled graphics enabler and rebooted, all worked fine. DVD player does crash so its the driver not the hardware. Swapped in an XFX 6870 (the $179. newegg one). Everything worked as expected. OpenGL Extensions viewer and CineBench scores are almost identical between 4870 and 6870. Cinebench went down form 33.22 to 33.11. OGL EX VWR scores were slightly higher but no big thing. I'd say if you have a 4870 stand pat until someone gets the 6970 working. Thanks Andy for putting together the installer. Made the process painless at least.

Guest ^Andy^
Finally tossed the 6870 back in to try this.

Both crash with it in, while they don't with a GTX285 in.

So isn't your Chameleon thing as mine is Mac Pro from Cupertino (by way of China I imagine)

Andy, did you use DVD Player app from install disk? All I did was use System Components. Though it wouldn't make sense for DVD player to be different.

I will try with some other ATI cards today, flashed and unflashed. I imagine this will tell us more.

Yup I used the dvd player app from the install disk (I managed to build a usb stick that allows me to complete a start to finish sandy bridge 2011 mbp install).

Thanks for the investigative work guys - it certainly is beggining to look like a driver bug after all. Although what puzzles me is if it is a driver bug does it only affect non Apple cards because surely it must work on the 2011 mbp's gpu's?

Guest ^Andy^
adny, are you using DSDT or some pure kext solution?

it shouldn't be easy to install the 2011 MBP SL on any hack, I suppose

I'm not using a dsdt, just kexts.

Guest ^Andy^

drboose pm'd me to let me know that they used the insateller package..

Hey,

It wouldn't let me post to the tread.

On hazard 10.6.6, Asus 6850, I installed your package from post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...804&st=100#

It worked perfectly - I can't thank you enough.

I had tried other kext's that just brought up grey screens.

THANKS A MILLION!!!!

Guest ^Andy^
If I add the device ID strings to the kexts do you think I could get my reference 2gb 6950 to work?

Very unlikely as the 6950 and 6970 are reported as not working at the moment.

Guest ^Andy^
The ATI 6000 kexts are now publicly released in the 10.6.7 Update for Early 2011 MBPs. http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1368

I extracted all the ATI kexts and OpenCL.framework and OpenGL.framework and installed them on top of the ones posted earlier in this thread.

The 10.6.7 update for all other systems does not contain the ATI6000Controller.kext.

Interesting, I'm off to install that update on top of my mbp 2011 install - be back with any news...

Interesting, I'm off to install that update on top of my mbp 2011 install - be back with any news...

Installed, bugger all changed - still have dvd player and geekbench crash and same cinebench results :P

Installed MBP 10.6.7 update.

1. 6970 booted to blocky blue screen with cursor

2. 6870 still booted same as before, DVD player still crashes

3. Using Apple 5870, no problems whatsoever

Will try other ATI cards and report.

Thanks for the update! Shame there is really nothing unexpected, but you still saved me some time bothering.

Installed MBP 10.6.7 update.

1. 6970 booted to blocky blue screen with cursor

2. 6870 still booted same as before, DVD player still crashes

3. Using Apple 5870, no problems whatsoever

Will try other ATI cards and report.

I have same behaviour with 6970.

6870 works fine so far.

Installed, bugger all changed - still have dvd player and geekbench crash and same cinebench results :D

The "read me" implies a stability fix. How many of the files are actually changed from the the version in the installer you released? I'm a little nervous now about updating my 6870 box. Will the normal combo overwrite the new ati drivers? Will the MBP combo even run on my hack? And if so will it update the ati drivers? Are you going to make a new installer with the updated ati drivers? Why does the 6870 do so poorly on mac? Its faster than 4870 on win but <= 4870 on osx.