ASrock Conroe945G-DVI

rkwok

843 posts in this topic

-Is the limit of overclocking 299fsb? The limit is not 299fsb, but if you want to go higher, in bios you need to set pcie clock to sync.

- Everything but the Network port is "out of the box" ? How can you fix it? I am sure, sooner or later someone will find a fix for it, in the mean time, just buy a RT8139 or RT8169 NIC.

- What about updates? i mean , once you've installed the 10.4.6 and you want to get the 10.4.7 or higher, is it as simple as in every mac or you have to change some lines or install some patches? All hackintosh update is not as simple as a real Mac, pls remember this is "Hack". :)

Hope this answer your question.

:2cents:

Thanks for your answers ... i just bought one! and a realtek 8139D Lan card, i'll give some feedbacks later, i'm just waiting for a case and memory now ...

Thanks for your answers ... i just bought one! and a realtek 8139D Lan card, i'll give some feedbacks later, i'm just waiting for a case and memory now ...

Congrats, welcome to the club. We can support each other. BTW, which processor are you planning to use?

Congrats, welcome to the club. We can support each other. BTW, which processor are you planning to use?

I already have an e6300 and 4x512 corsair memory, also with a Seagate SataII 320gb and a pioneer 111D, i just miss a case, i'm gonna take an asus TM-211, it makes me think of imacs or something :(

Have you gotten sleep to work on this setup? What did you have to do if you got it to work? I just ordered a Asrock-DVI + e6600 this weekend, and want to get a leg-up on getting it running.

I already ordered a cheap-o 10/100 NIC until we can figure out how to get the on-board working, and I just realized that this board doesn't have built-in firewire (bummer!).

-Dan

Have you gotten sleep to work on this setup? What did you have to do if you got it to work? I just ordered a Asrock-DVI + e6600 this weekend, and want to get a leg-up on getting it running.

I already ordered a cheap-o 10/100 NIC until we can figure out how to get the on-board working, and I just realized that this board doesn't have built-in firewire (bummer!).

-Dan

Welcom to the club (group hug) ;)

No. Sleep is only thing that would not work. Note that this is NOT due to the fault of the mobo. We just don't know how to make OSX support Hackintosh sleep yet.

Ya, it doesn't have the firewire :blink: Not a big issue for me because my other laptop has it and I rarely use that. I'm a value guy when it comes to computer hardware and this mobo gives best value for your money (e.g., if money is not an object then I would just go out and buy Mac Pro). Plus, wouldn't you want to upgrade your mobo and processor/memory again in 2 or 3 yrs from now?

I just love this mobo (hopely, at least for 2 more years).

EDIT: check your BIOS version and grade to latest version (1.1)

No. Sleep is only thing that would not work. Note that this is NOT due to the fault of the mobo. We just don't know how to make OSX support Hackintosh sleep yet.

Thanks. Sleep doesn't work, eh? Damn... I think the Asus board is supposed to sleep. I'm a 24/7 guy and need sleep on the computer. Somehow I thought this one slept.. damn damn damn damn. What happens when you sleep it - crash?

Anyway, thanks for the info.

-Dan

Thanks. Sleep doesn't work, eh? Damn... I think the Asus board is supposed to sleep. I'm a 24/7 guy and need sleep on the computer. Somehow I thought this one slept.. damn damn damn damn. What happens when you sleep it - crash?

Anyway, thanks for the info.

-Dan

Sorry to hear that. It goes into sleep o.k., but I can't wake it up. I end up power-cycling.

EDIT: Wait, I read something about enabling (a jumper switch) wake from usb, and I also saw some bios option about this. I'll look into this whole wake up thing in more detail. This is not high priority to me, so I didn't look close into it before.

Sorry to hear that. It goes into sleep o.k., but I can't wake it up. I end up power-cycling.

EDIT: Wait, I read something about enabling (a jumper switch) wake from usb, and I also saw some bios option about this. I'll look into this whole wake up thing in more detail. This is not high priority to me, so I didn't look close into it before.

Thanks! That would be a bummer if it couldn't sleep. I'm doing this project as a way to avoid thinking about all the stuff that's going on in life these days (death, life, death).

Anyway, thanks for checking into it!

-Dan

I've got this board

DVI add2 card works fine at 23" 1920x1200. Q&E Supported.

Core Duo E6300 detected correctly

Board does not post over 299FSB, have to enable PCI Sync. I can boot at 320FSB, but PCIe at that FSB is over 120mhz which is dangerous for hard drives. At ~325FSB, bios does not detect the SATA drives (common ICH7 behavior when the frequencies aren't locked)

Sound works great with Azalia patch, no need to find out 888 device ID in Windows.

Can sleep but wake does not work. There's no way to repair it AFAIK. I don't need sleep anyway.

LAN does not work. I've got Intel Pro 100, works fine.

Can't flash 1.1. bios because i don't have Windows installed, OS X does not support floppies and i don't know any burning software which can burn bootable DOS ISO with additional files. {censored}...

10.4.6 + JaS 10.4.7 update - works fast and stable... Checked SSE3, and GMA900 support....

I've got this board

DVI add2 card works fine at 23" 1920x1200. Q&E Supported.

Core Duo E6300 detected correctly

Board does not post over 299FSB, have to enable PCI Sync. I can boot at 320FSB, but PCIe at that FSB is over 120FSB which is dangerous for hard drives. At ~325FSB, bios does not detect the SATA drives (common ICH7 behavior when the frequencies aren't locked)

Sound works great with Azalia patch, no need to find out 888 device ID in Windows.

Can sleep but wake does not work. There's no way to repair it AFAIK. I don't need sleep anyway.

LAN does not work. I've got Intel Pro 100, works fine.

Can't flash 1.1. bios because i don't have Windows installed, OS X does not support floppies and i don't know any burning software which can burn bootable DOS ISO with additional files. {censored}...

10.4.6 + JaS 10.4.7 update - works fast and stable... Checked SSE3, and GMA900 support....

Did you enable jumper PS2_USB_PWR1? From the manual:

"Short pin2, pin3 to enable (see p.10 No. 1) +5VSB (standby) for PS/2 or USB wake up events. Note: To select +5VSB, it requires 2 Amp and higher standby current provided by power supply."

I wonder if 1.1 fixes the 299 FSB problem. Anyone?

-Dan

Actually, Intel 945 chipset is only officialy capable of 1066mhz, and everything beyond this frequency "stresses" the Northbridge too much IMO. I guess no 945 board can achieve better results than 320FSB, so it's not just cheapo AsRock. But it would be nice to have PCIe/ PCI / IHC7 locked at that frequency...

Gigabyte will soon release very cheap and good 945G boards (almost same as AsRock but without DVI bundle). I'll check them out.

Result with the 1.1 BIOS:

Wake from sleep with correct jumper setting - doesn't work. The USB devices were absolutely dead before the new jumper setting. Now when I move the mouse, my harddrives turn on, but all i get is black screen and infinite beeps. Could be software problem... (my OSX version)

PCIe async above 299FSB - doesn't work, BUT there's a new option in the BIOS - adjusting the multiplier. Only works for X6800 CPU AFAIK.

Did you enable jumper PS2_USB_PWR1? From the manual:

"Short pin2, pin3 to enable (see p.10 No. 1) +5VSB (standby) for PS/2 or USB wake up events. Note: To select +5VSB, it requires 2 Amp and higher standby current provided by power supply."

I wonder if 1.1 fixes the 299 FSB problem. Anyone?

-Dan

Good news,

I got it to sleep. Then woke it up using keyboard. Display comes on, keyboard works, mouse doesn't move but right mouse click works. Very promising indeed.

Here is what I did: I couldn't tell which was pin 1 so I left it alone for now (there is a jumper there).

I went into BIOS and changed APIC options to enable "Sleep to RAM", "restore display on STR", and wake up from keyboard.

I could tell OSX is still alive and respond to key presses but couldn't do much because mouse wouldn't move.

I will keep experiement and let you know how it goes.

Sorry I got tied up and couldn't do much for a while.

Result with the 1.1 BIOS:

Wake from sleep with correct jumper setting - doesn't work. The USB devices were absolutely dead before the new jumper setting. Now when I move the mouse, my harddrives turn on, but all i get is black screen and infinite beeps. Could be software problem... (my OSX version)

Cool. I got the display to come on, but no mouse movement. Keyboard alive. I'm running 10.4.4.

How did u know which was pin #1?

EDIT: update on what is going on.

Moved jumper setting and made much worse. So I moved back.

I experimented more and I can get display to sleep and wake up o.k.

When the box goes to sleep and wakes up, I found many thing still do work:

-dashboard responds to F12

-expose also responds to F9-F11

-can switch processes using ALT-TAB

-can type into textedit

Mouse still don't work.

I'll keep at it...

TopazBar - there are only 3 pins, you either short 1 and 2, or 2 and 3.

So you've got only 2 options. Just move the jumper to the other setting than default and you're done. Reading that you managed to make it work (almost), i'm assuming that this is just a small OS X setting/ issue. That means, the jumper at 1+2 actually can make it work with proper settings.

Ryanux - Well, you maybe have a DOS floopy disk, but you can't copy the bios to it, because OS X does not recognize the floppy drive. I've tried to mount it (/dev/fd) but no luck. "Block error".

Infamous > Well, what i've said was just right while you have a pc, there you can copy the rom to floppy, boot on it and update your bios WITHOUT loading Mac OS X at all, i guess a lot of us here have PCs with windows though? anyway i do! Thanks to you and rkwok for the bootable ISO, this is even easier.

Now can someone tell me what are the improvements of the 1.1 comparing to the 1.0 /1.01 Bios?

I'm very upset for the fact that this release does not solve the 299FSB limit :( OK, I don't need to overclock my system now, but why limiting this value, if the chipset could do all the way up to 333Mhz or more???

Hi Tecnoworld,

Below is what Rtwok said:

"-Is the limit of overclocking 299fsb? The limit is not 299fsb, but if you want to go higher, in bios you need to set pcie clock to sync."

He is saying that you have to set BIOS option PCIE clock to sync to go higher than 299FSB. I have not personally overclocked so I cannot verify this.