Chameleon RC5 mode with mem detection enabled and automatic P-States & C-States generation for native power managment

kozlek

1,214 posts in this topic

Dear authors,

First of all, thanks for you work.

Since i have switched from AsereBLN, i meet some trouble with C2RC5 rev 611 (trunk 609)

I have no more this state in kernel.log:

kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios 1112

Under overclocking conditions, the switch made my CPU just 20 degres hotter than before on the four cores; it seems the loader does not handle it.

Then:

kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed
kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

If it is related to C2RC5, gain something but on the other side sacrifice something else, is a worry for me. :)

So, are we stucked with the good old DSDT patching for the overclockers?

Dear authors,

First of all, thanks for you work.

Since i have switched from AsereBLN, i meet some trouble with C2RC5 rev 611 (trunk 609)

I have no more this state in kernel.log:

kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios 1112

Under overclocking conditions, the switch made my CPU just 20 degres hotter than before on the four cores; it seems the loader does not handle it.

Then:

kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

If it is related to C2RC5, gain something but on the other side sacrifice something else, is a worry for me. :o

So, are we stucked with the good old DSDT patching for the overclockers?

have you added GeneratePStates=Yes and GenerateCStates=Yes to your boot.plist?

D

Hi :o

According to this message:

P-States generation for newer motherboards with Core ix processors is not supported. Most of newer motherboards export by itself all necessary info via SSDT for native SpeedStep support in Mac OS X.

So i have just added to my boot.plist:

<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

If i have made a mistake, forgive my bad english and my noobiness :D

Soryy I missed i7 in your sig!

What you have added should get rid of:

If you are still getting the LPC device error you may have to patch your LPC device in DSDT.

D

Everybody's business is nobody's business

I have bothered to write about it. Ignore.

that's when i quit using this un"official" package. Azimuth said he fixed it in his trunk but i dont have xcode set up to check that. n ppl here are happily compiling the buggy code every day n running it!

that's when i quit using this un"official" package. Azimuth said he fixed it in his trunk but i dont have xcode set up to check that. n ppl here are happily compiling the buggy code every day n running it!

Who in what is ready, there is no strategy of development of the loader.

Soryy I missed i7 in your sig!

What you have added should get rid of:

If you are still getting the LPC device error you may have to patch your LPC device in DSDT.

D

Thanks for your help but unfortunately no.

log:

Oct 26 21:52:01 Mac-Pro-de-Nicolas kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed
Oct 26 21:52:01 Mac-Pro-de-Nicolas kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

My current Device (PX40) section:

Device (PX40)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001F0000)
			Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			{
				Store (Package (0x02)
					{
						"device-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x18, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
						}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}

OperationRegion (LPC0, PCI_Config, 0xA4, 0x02)
			Field (LPC0, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
			{
				AG3E,   1
			}

OperationRegion (PREV, PCI_Config, 0x08, One)
			Scope (\)

kextstat:

59	0 0xffffff7f80958000 0x3000	 0x3000	 com.apple.driver.AppleLPC (1.4.12) <9 5 4 3>

:)

Thanks for your help but unfortunately no.

log:

Oct 26 21:52:01 Mac-Pro-de-Nicolas kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed
Oct 26 21:52:01 Mac-Pro-de-Nicolas kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

;)

Do you have the following keys in your com.apple.boot.plist?

<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

EDIT: I think you should rename your current device PX40 into something that OS X understands (can't recall the correct name, though at the moment). A very good and fresh mod & edit DSDT resource is the DSDT editor and patcher thread.

About the booting with -f argument problem, if it's just the hang at the "Using PCI-Root-UID value:" message, i just committed what proved to be a fix on my tests:

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleo...rce/commit/616/

If there's any other problem related with this, i'm unaware of it!

About iX cpu's and power management, Mozodojo also made a commit that seems to me it's related to the subject:

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleo...rce/commit/609/

Chameleon (trunk) pre-compiled binaries can be found on my signature at Voodoo forums.

Stay safe...

Edited by Azimutz

EDIT: I think you should rename your current device PX40 into something that OS X understands (can't recall the correct name, though at the moment). A very good and fresh mod & edit DSDT resource is the DSDT editor and patcher thread.

It shouldn't matter what the device is called as long as you are injecting a OSX known device id.

D

I have redone from zero my device LPC. @ Rednous: LPCB you mean?

So i manage to get rid of the CST and LPC log errors but still no turbo ratio 1112 reported. But my compared geekbench scores make me think that i have a x22 multiplier though.

So thanks god C2RC5 was not the guilty, case closed :P

Still a mistery for this damn turbo ratio 1112 vanished in log :)

Thanks again all.

who can show me the way to boot with 64bit efi on Chameleon rc5 ?

In version rc3 or rc4, i type

ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi

it returns "64EFI" but rc5 is "32EFI". I headed about fake_efi on Chameleon rc5.

How to enable "64EFI" on rc5 ?

thanks

You can check 32 / 64 Bit Kernel mode also with uname -a

10.4.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.4.0: Fri Apr 23 18:27:12 PDT 2010; root:xnu-1504.7.4~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

x86_64 = 64 Bit Kernelmode

i386 = 32 Bit Kernelmode

it returns:

Darwin Kernel Version 10.4.0: Fri Apr 23 18:28:53 PDT 2010; root:xnu-1504.7.4~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

i used chameleon rc5 with lastest trunk

help me !!!

Do you have an arch=i386 or such Kernel Flag in your com.apple.Boot.plist??? If so, delete it boot to boot normally, x64.

R619 generates correctly both, P and C states on my i7 860, though I'm not sure C state is working cause someone said it should be seen in the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin section in the IORegistryExplorer but I can only see the 14 P States. Any info on how to know if it's working? For now I'm sharing my DSDT, boot.plist and IOREG dump if someone is willing to give me a hand. I've also activated EnableC2State and EnableC3State but there's no log about it and I don't know how to test for that.

Also the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios 1145 log disappeared some time ago, it's not there since a couple of days but I think it's using the Turbo mode cause my geekbench scores are the same as before, the user "The Real Deal" had this problem too. AppleLPC is loaded, but I had to force it editing a line in my DSDT. Anything I'm forgetting to inform?

Above all that, fantastic work on this bootloader guys! Thank you so much, you have saved me many many hours of editing and testing dsdts, kexts and who knows what else.

Waiting for kabyl to update his branch with the new enabler for ati hd5xxx graphics cards... I'm using the ati kext enabler for now but I believe kabyl's worked better.

EDIT: I've just remembered that if I don't stop the automatic countdown to boot it almost always kp (appleintelcpupower...) and that chameleon graphics are very, very slow, the 3 seconds countdown feels like 10, also when I type something there's a delay of 1 or 2 seconds.

I've already posted this to tonymacs forum and got the tip that it could have something to do with the RC Version of Chameleon. So I ask you all for help.

Problem: System Profiler does not recognize my Sapphire Radeon HD5770 (details below) as a PCIE 2.0 16x card, just PCIE 8x (2.5GT/s) is detected. I do also have some minor graphic bugs like random squares on some windows, icons or in the dashboard (see attached picture). The card is in the correct PCIE 2 16x slot. In Win7 everything is displayed correct (using GPUz).

The steps I went through:

1. Installed SL retail from an IDE Harddisk (due to problems with my ATA DVD-ROM, which was not recognized)

2. Used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] + [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to get my HD5770 to work (first in 32Bit only)

3. Updated the whole System using Software Updater (incl. Graphics Update)

4. Replaced the boot file with the one from this thread.

5. Updated Chameleon to the version mentioned in this thread.

6. Modified the com.apple.boot.plist and added the corresponding keys and strings for using the HD5770 and the Vervet framebuffer.

7. Deleted the aty_init from System/Library/Extensions (now I am able to use the F8 DSDT from your database.

8. Replaced the old kexts with new versions from kexts.com

post-549303-1288399367_thumb.png

That's my current state.

Installed kexts

FakeSMC.kext (Sept. 2010)

IOAHCIBlockStorageinjector.kext (Feb 2010)

JMicron36xATA.kext (Juli 2009)

SMCITEController.kext (Sept. 2010)

My com.apple.boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseAtiROM</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>AtiFb</key>
<string>Vervet</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Here are my Specs

CPU: Intel Core i7 2,8GHz

Mobo: GA-P55 USB3 (Rev.1, F8)

Graphics: Sapphire Radeon HD5770 1GB (Details beyond)

OSX: Retail 10.6.4 ([url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] + [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]), Graphics Update 1.0

System Profiler Output

Hardware-Übersicht:

Modellname:	Mac Pro
 Modell-Identifizierung:	MacPro3,1
 Prozessortyp:	Intel Core i7
 Prozessorgeschwindigkeit:	2,80 GHz
 Anzahl der Prozessoren:	1
 Gesamtzahl der Kerne:	4
 L2-Cache (pro Kern):	256 KB
 L3-Cache:	8 MB
 Speicher:	4 GB
 Geschwindigkeit für Prozessorverbindungstyp:	4.8 GT/s
 Boot-ROM-Version:	[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url].tonymacx86.com
 SMC-Version (System):	1.30f3
 Seriennummer (System):	W87234JHYA4
 Hardware-UUID:	3C12F603-BD01-5995-BF14-EF7071ED4C5F

ATI Radeon HD 5770:

Chipsatz-Modell:	ATI Radeon HD 5770
 Typ:	GPU
 Bus:	PCIe
 Steckplatz:	Slot-1
 [b]PCIe-Lane-Breite:	x8[/b]
 VRAM (gesamt):	1024 MB
 Hersteller:	ATI (0x1002)
 Geräte-ID:	0x68b8
 Versions-ID:	0x0000
 ROM-Version:	113-B7710C-176
 EFI-Treiberversion:	01.00.318

ATI Radeon HD 5770:

Name:	ATY,Vervet
 Typ:	display
 Treiber installiert:	Ja
 Bus:	PCI
 Steckplatz:	Slot-1
 Hersteller-ID:	0x1002
 Geräte-ID:	0x68b8
 Subsystem-Hersteller-ID:	0x174b
 Subsystem-ID:	0xe147
 Versions-ID:	0x0000
[b]  Link-Breite:	x8
 Link-Geschwindigkeit:	2.5 GT/s[/b]

@kamephis:

I don't think that this is the place for this kind of questions since it has nothing to do with P & C-States (see topic title). Please visit the Chameleon forum, or start a new topic in this forum.

p.s. You can use a codebox instead of code for long(er) dumps :P

@kamephis:

I don't think that this is the place for this kind of questions since it has nothing to do with P & C-States (see topic title). Please visit the Chameleon forum, or start a new topic in this forum.

p.s. You can use a codebox instead of code for long(er) dumps :P

I think you're right ^^ It should be better placed in the Chameleon thread. Thanks for the tip :P

Hello guys. I managed to get AppleLPC loading by modifying my DSDT. Using Chameleon RC5, i put GeneratePStates=Yes and GenerateCStates=Yes as boot options but i still have very high temperatures (using iStat).

This makes me think SpeedStep is not workink, am i right?

Is this due to the fact System Profiler doesn't recognize my cpu T6500 as a 2.1ghz (but it says 3ghz)? Or maybe because under Mac Model i have MacPro3,1?

Help appreciated

Dime

"SpeedStep is not workink"

To bad, thats indeed not easy to test if the stepping (belongs to the cpu load) is working.

Most info tools can only show the static (fastest) CPU MHz and read not out the changing steppings by read out the MSR cpu registers.

MSR Tools could do this, but not working for me in 64 Bit Kernelmode / since 10.6. Systems stalls and MSR Tools cant show anything.

Also iCPU done this but also cant handle 64 Bit mode for my knowledge.

Would be fine if some of the chameleon code heros write an MSR kext (32/64 Bit, Snow Kitty) + small Monitor App to read cpu MHz out in realtime.

When you have such an working tool you can see the cpu MHZ changes. Even if you move the mose fast left/right over the dock the cpu will step up in the speed or use benches (steps to full speed mostly).

I installed VoodooMonitor with his kext and i see cpu clock varying together with voltage and multiplier so i think SpeedStep is working, right?

The strange thing is VoodooMonitor says my cpu is 45ºC, but iStat says 60ºC. I've put 105 into fakesmc kext, but i don't know if it's right or not. Some says 105, others 90.

My cpu is a T6500@2.1Ghz