[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

Apparently, the Broadcom 43224 is supported by Apple. I took a look at the loaded kexts, one being AppleAirPortBrcm43224 which is apparently inside IO80211Family.kext.

If you take a look at /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm43224.kext/Contents/Info.plist and scroll down a little to the IONameMatch key, you get

<key>IONameMatch</key>
<array>
	<string>pci14e4,4353</string>
	<string>pci14e4,432b</string>
</array>

PCI vendor ID 14E4 (Broadcom) with our particular wireless card (4353) which means it definitely is supported.

I've had reports that people have gotten this same card working before in 10.5 Leopard, but are facing issues with it in 10.6 Snow Leopard.

I'm going to open up my computer today and tape pin 20 and verify that it's working as expected, then I'll see what I can do in OSX.

Yehia, now that you know your wireless card is definitely on but is still not being picked up by Airport (lol) you may be having a PCI issue. You can try out this kext here, reported to work in 10.6.4 both 32 and 64-bit. It's meant to be installed to /S/L/E, but you could always try /C/E/E first I guess. Be sure to open it up and check that your card's PCI ids still exist there.

Hope it works for you, if it does, it'll work for me too :)

The kext didn't work however the message when you click PCI in System Profiler has changed. Now it says there was an error gathering PCI information whereas before it just said something along the lines of "no information." The added string is definitely there and my WiFi card has had some success on 10.5 so I know it's possible but I just cannot seem to get everything to click (no pun intended) in 10.6. It's reaally starting to aggravate the stuffin' outta me!

RE: Sound

Does anyone notice a pretty bad buzz from the subwoofer in OS X? I can't put it above a certain volume.

I'm thinking it's probably something to do with the crossover system in the computer that sends all the low freq stuff to the sub, and all the high freq to the speaks (I'm an audio tech, and this is how it works in PA systems, so I assume there's something similar.)

Anyway, high frequencies to the sub cause a buzz like that cause it can't handle anything over like 140hz or whatever.

Could there be something in the kext file that would fix this? I am a complete retard when it comes to that kind of thing, so I have no idea where to star.

Is this the same pop sound which manmal experienced with his audio? I will post another kext later with different SignalProsessing. This time I will put SignalProcessing which I usually use.

Hi guys,

Regarding the audio issue when the volume is full/high, I have made small adjustment to the audio kext. I removed the SignalProcessing entry for internal speaker. I hope it will fix the audio issue. The new kext is available at post #275 (at Update 3). Please test & let me know the result.

Hi guys,

Regarding the audio issue when the volume is full/high, I have made small adjustment to the audio kext. I removed the SignalProcessing entry for internal speaker. I hope it will fix the audio issue. The new kext is available at post #275 (at Update 3). Please test & let me know the result.

Hi kizwan,

thanks for your kext! I can try it with my DV8 next week since i am not at home in this week: i am working outside the country and i have my hdx18 only with me. In the meanwhile i can work with my HDX18 and i tried to modify JBraddock LegacyAudioKext.kext adding the BuiltInHDA you suggested inside.

I tried installing it but i have kernel panic on AppleHDA . I didn't investigate further, but i have the suspect it's due to AppleHDA version or some conflicts between kext. I wanted to ask you which version of AppleHDA you are using inside your R3_modded package you uploaded. Is the AppleHDA.kext you used a patched AppleHDA or plain from which OSX version?

I remember you that my (and JBraddock) main problem with AppleHDA (even patched one i found, that works great but with the same problem) is that audio doesn't work after resume from sleep. It works after resume from hibernate. If you have time and if you want, please check the LegacyAppleHDA.kext from JBraddock that i modified with your suggestions and please also double-check it with the codec_audio.txt i dumped from linux ubuntu 9.04 livecd from HDX laptop to see if there is anything wrong.

Link to LegacyAppleHDA_HDX_ManMal_JBraddock : http://www.mediafire.com/?5xve89rf4o4wa3r

Link to codec_audio_HDX.txt : http://www.mediafire.com/?tdntdkv39d0o39c

Thanks a lot!

Manmal

Hi kizwan,

thanks for your kext! I can try it with my DV8 next week since i am not at home in this week: i am working outside the country and i have my hdx18 only with me. In the meanwhile i can work with my HDX18 and i tried to modify JBraddock LegacyAudioKext.kext adding the BuiltInHDA you suggested inside.

I tried installing it but i have kernel panic on AppleHDA . I didn't investigate further, but i have the suspect it's due to AppleHDA version or some conflicts between kext. I wanted to ask you which version of AppleHDA you are using inside your R3_modded package you uploaded. Is the AppleHDA.kext you used a patched AppleHDA or plain from which OSX version?

I'm not sure the exact version but I use 10.6.4 AppleHDA.kext. I patched the AppleHDA binary with HP DVx IDT92HD75B3 audio codec ID. Make sure you didn't install AppleHDA.kext in Extra folder.

I remember you that my (and JBraddock) main problem with AppleHDA (even patched one i found, that works great but with the same problem) is that audio doesn't work after resume from sleep. It works after resume from hibernate. If you have time and if you want, please check the LegacyAppleHDA.kext from JBraddock that i modified with your suggestions and please also double-check it with the codec_audio.txt i dumped from linux ubuntu 9.04 livecd from HDX laptop to see if there is anything wrong.

Link to LegacyAppleHDA_HDX_ManMal_JBraddock : http://www.mediafire.com/?5xve89rf4o4wa3r

Link to codec_audio_HDX.txt : http://www.mediafire.com/?tdntdkv39d0o39c

Codec verbs or pin configurations or ConfigData is not the reason why your audio is not working after waking from sleep. If you have wrong codec verbs or pin configurations or ConfigData, the audio will simply not working. I will check the legacy kext to see whether you put the BuiltInHDA correctly or not. The only reason (which I can think of) why it doesn't work after wake from sleep are whether related to DSDT or incompatible AppleHDA.kext (old version but I don't think AppleHDA is the cause of the problem).

@ManMal & @JBraddock,

I already take a look to your legacy kext (with BuiltInHDA) & I don't see anything wrong with it. This is the 10.6.4 AppleHDA.kext, already patched with HP HDX IDT92HD71B7X codec ID. Please try it & see whether it solved the problem or not.

http://www.mediafire.com/?a2vr9iki2psp4gd

@Kizwan, I tried the patched audio file and unfortunately it didn't solve no audio after sleep issue and as I'd said before it produced so much errors. The last error message repeats constantly.

Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 3800 goto handler
Sound assertion "0 != widget->setUnsolicited ( true )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp"
at line 1130 goto handler

Sound assertion "mFirstConvert && ( numSampleFrames > currentSampleFrame)" failed in 
"/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 1816 goto Exit

Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2018 goto Exit

Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2909 goto Exit

Sep 27 14:42:49 SnowKittys-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "mFirstConvert && ( numSampleFrames > currentSampleFrame)" failed in
"/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 1816 goto Exit

Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2909 goto Exit

Another point to make is that after wake up, I checked the sound preference and noticed that my external microphone input is seen as internal microphone. So basically, I had two internal microphones reported after sleep.

This is not the case with AppleHDA from 10.6.2.

I know that HDX two internal microphones on top of the screen, right side of the webcam but I don't know if they are really "two separate microphones".

Regardless of audio kext version, below is my audio information and I see that I have two external microphones reported and I really doubts that I have two of them.

Intel High Definition Audio:

Audio ID:	888

Headphone:
 Connection:	1/8-Inch Jack
External Microphone / iPhone Headset:
Speaker:
 Connection:	Internal
Internal Microphone:
S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio Output:
 Connection:	RCA

Also from time to time, I lost this and has the following information.

HDMI: DisplayPort Output // Something like this.

I think the sleep problem is not related to AppleHDA but DSDT or Legacy Kext. When I checked my Pathmaps section of legacy kext, I noticed that it has more entries than yours. May I ask you if you had time to look at this section? I wonder if there are some unnecessary entries, nods etc. May be there are some values which shouldn't be there.

If we can't solve this problem then I am going to buy a usb audio device :P This seems nice. Behringer U-CONTROL UCA222

41uupz8t9glss400.jpg

Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 3800 goto handler
Sound assertion "0 != widget->setUnsolicited ( true )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp"
at line 1130 goto handler

Sound assertion "mFirstConvert && ( numSampleFrames > currentSampleFrame)" failed in 

Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2018 goto Exit

Sep 27 14:42:49 SnowKittys-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "mFirstConvert && ( numSampleFrames > currentSampleFrame)" failed in

As long as all input & output works, these error messages can be ignored.

Another point to make is that after wake up, I checked the sound preference and noticed that my external microphone input is seen as internal microphone. So basically, I had two internal microphone reported. This is not the case with AppleHDA from 10.6.2.

Regardless of audio kext version, below is my audio information and I see that I have two external microphones reported and I really doubts that I have two of them.

Intel High Definition Audio:

Headphone:
Speaker:
Internal Microphone:
S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio Output:
 Connection:	RCA

Also from time to time, I lost this and has the following information.

HDMI: DisplayPort Output // Something like this.

I think the sleep problem is not related to AppleHDA but DSDT or Legacy Kext. When I checked my Pathmaps section of legacy kext, I noticed that it has more entries than yours. May I ask you if you had time to look at this section? I wonder if there are some unnecessary entries, nods etc. May be there are some values which shouldn't be there.

The reason why some input/output listed more than one because the codec verbs (ConfigData) contain a lot of unnecessary/unusable node/pins. By referring to manmal's codec dump, you do have two external mic. I count there are 6 input & output in the codec dump. Correct codec verbs should work with all AppleHDA.kext version. So, need to check your codec verbs again. I'll look into it as soon as possible.

If we can't solve this problem then I am going to buy a usb audio device :) This seems nice. Behringer U-CONTROL UCA222

41uupz8t9glss400.jpg

Look nice. My friend use MOTU on his hackintosh. I helped set up the computer for him. It is a long time ago.

As long as all input & output works, these error messages can be ignored.

As long as I listen to music, it constantly gives that error and then I have too much kernel files archived. :) May it doesn't effect the usability but it is just annoying.

The reason why some input/output listed more than one because the codec verbs (ConfigData) contain a lot of unnecessary/unusable node/pins. By referring to manmal's codec dump, you do have two external mic. I count there are 6 input & output in the codec dump. Correct codec verbs should work with all AppleHDA.kext version. So, need to check your codec verbs again. I'll look into it as soon as possible.

Hmm. I would really appreciate if you do so. Just let you know. Sleep issue aside, i have everything working. (Speakers, headphone, internal microphone, audio switch.)

Touchscreen volume control button and menu bar volume bar doesn't move accordingly but that's not a problem.

Look nice. My friend use MOTU on his hackintosh. I helped set up the computer for him. It is a long time ago.

It looks so much professional but I am not going to build a DJ studio.

I wouldn't want to disturb my lovely British neighbours :)

Apparently, the Broadcom 43224 is supported by Apple. I took a look at the loaded kexts, one being AppleAirPortBrcm43224 which is apparently inside IO80211Family.kext.

If you take a look at /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm43224.kext/Contents/Info.plist and scroll down a little to the IONameMatch key, you get

<key>IONameMatch</key>
<array>
	<string>pci14e4,4353</string>
	<string>pci14e4,432b</string>
</array>

PCI vendor ID 14E4 (Broadcom) with our particular wireless card (4353) which means it definitely is supported.

I've had reports that people have gotten this same card working before in 10.5 Leopard, but are facing issues with it in 10.6 Snow Leopard.

I'm going to open up my computer today and tape pin 20 and verify that it's working as expected, then I'll see what I can do in OSX.

Yehia, now that you know your wireless card is definitely on but is still not being picked up by Airport (lol) you may be having a PCI issue. You can try out this kext here, reported to work in 10.6.4 both 32 and 64-bit. It's meant to be installed to /S/L/E, but you could always try /C/E/E first I guess. Be sure to open it up and check that your card's PCI ids still exist there.

Hope it works for you, if it does, it'll work for me too :)

as you said the kexts is loaded and with me it appear at the pci cards as "Other Network Controller"

it also appear under ioreg under

| | +-o RP01@1C <class IOPCIDevice, id 0x1000001b2, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (1576 ms), retain 10>

| | | +-o IOPCI2PCIBridge <class IOPCI2PCIBridge, id 0x1000001f7, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (1255 ms), retain 7>

| | | +-o pci14e4,4353@0 <class IOPCIDevice, id 0x1000001d4, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (1255 ms), retain 9>

screenshot20100927at319.png

screenshot20100927at320.png

screenshot20100927at451.png

i tried the Chun-Nan's IOPCIFamily.kext v113 , but i doesn't make any difference

Hmm. I would really appreciate if you do so. Just let you know. Sleep issue aside, i have everything working. (Speakers, headphone, internal microphone, audio switch.)

Touchscreen volume control button and menu bar volume bar doesn't move accordingly but that's not a problem.

I'll post here when I have take a look to your codec verbs.

as you said the kexts is loaded and with me it appear at the pci cards as "Other Network Controller"

it also appear under ioreg under

| | +-o RP01@1C <class IOPCIDevice, id 0x1000001b2, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (1576 ms), retain 10>

| | | +-o IOPCI2PCIBridge <class IOPCI2PCIBridge, id 0x1000001f7, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (1255 ms), retain 7>

| | | +-o pci14e4,4353@0 <class IOPCIDevice, id 0x1000001d4, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (1255 ms), retain 9>

The wireless card does recognized properly so it doesn't require Chun-Nan's kext. I think the only solution is to re-brand the wireless card to Apple wireless card. If it is detected as Apple AirPort Extreme card, it might work & driver actually load. But this only a theory. Based on the screenshot above, the broadcom kext does load but the driver actually didn't load (refer to System Profiler screenshot).

The wireless card does recognized properly so it doesn't require Chun-Nan's kext. I think the only solution is to re-brand the wireless card to Apple wireless card. If it is detected as Apple AirPort Extreme card, it might work & driver actually load. But this only a theory. Based on the screenshot above, the broadcom kext does load but the driver actually didn't load (refer to System Profiler screenshot).

Okay, great!

Any ideas how one goes about 'rebranding' the card to show up as an Apple wireless one?

Is a DSDT modification required or can we do something at the software level, like an injector or something else?

Okay, great!

Any ideas how one goes about 'rebranding' the card to show up as an Apple wireless one?

Is a DSDT modification required or can we do something at the software level, like an injector or something else?

those links will help , i think but they need much time

prasys Rebranding Broadcom

Rebranding Broadcom based 802.11b/g/n cards

those links will help , i think but they need much time

prasys Rebranding Broadcom

Rebranding Broadcom based 802.11b/g/n cards

This is not for fainthearted people. You do it wrong, you'll loose your wireless card unless you know how to recover corrupted EEPROM. I have re-branded two Broadcom a/b/g wireless card by following prasys' blog. I use Fedora live CD instead because all tools already pre-installed. Also the process didn't take more than 5 minutes. I don't want people to mislead by this suggestion. To be clear, this may or may not get Broadcom 43224 working.

Please Help!

For some reason, all of a sudden my OS X partition won't start up.

It only loads one file in the Chameleon partition.

It says "Loaded HFS+ file (system/.... etc.) 479 bytes then a file code.

Cham then hangs, and won't load the rest of the files it normally does. Is there any way to get around this, and is this a common thing? I have no idea what happened.

Please Help!

For some reason, all of a sudden my OS X partition won't start up.

It only loads one file in the Chameleon partition.

It says "Loaded HFS+ file (system/.... etc.) 479 bytes then a file code.

Cham then hangs, and won't load the rest of the files it normally does. Is there any way to get around this, and is this a common thing? I have no idea what happened.

On Chameleon menu type

Wake=No

Thanks for the quick reply, and help.

I'm slowly learning, and should've thought to try that command as I've seen it before.

I tried searching but it didn't work, probably because it was so specific.

Thanks again, and sorry for the redundant question!

No problem at all.

Knowledge is for sharing.

We're all learning.

I remember installing OSX twice, one after another, because I couldn't solve that problem. So, you are not alone.

For testing :)

ITD 92HD75B3X5 & nVidia GeForce GT 230M

Works :

- IntSpeaker & Headphone (LineOut) - in autodetect

- Mic & LineIn (Gane + Noise) - in autodetect

- SPDIFOut

+ HDMI in DSDT :P

fully working :angel:

The new CPU section in DSDT for i7 720M (reduced CPU temperature by 10 degrees)

Works :

- SPDIFOut

@Taptun, by gane and noise do you mean that internal mic has noise cancelation feature enabled. I know that some people managed to enable it by playing around with pin config etc. Did you do something like that?

Regarding HDMI audio, is there any way of testing this feature without plugging to a HDMI device to see if the hack is successful. Like if it detects the nvidia code etc.

@Taptun, by gane and noise do you mean that internal mic has noise cancelation feature enabled. I know that some people managed to enable it by playing around with pin config etc. Did you do something like that?

Regarding HDMI audio, is there any way of testing this feature without plugging to a HDMI device to see if the hack is successful. Like if it detects the nvidia code etc.

HDMI - working fine

And at the expense of sound on the ITD 92D75B35 - where everything works, adjust the input signal and noise

Please , test :D

Taptun(Oleg)

PS : Sound must be registered in the DSDT !!!!!!

Device (HDEF)
		  {
			  Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
			  Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			  {
				  Store (Package (0x0E)
					  {
						  "codec-id", 
						  Buffer (0x04)
						  {
							  0x03, 0x76, 0x1D, 0x11
						  }, 

"built-in", 
						  Buffer (One)
						  {
							  0x00
						  }, 

"layout-id", 
						  Buffer (0x04)
						  {
							  0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
						  },

"model", 
						  Buffer (0x0E)
						  {
							  "ITD 92HD75B3X5"
						  }, 

"AAPL,slot-name", 
						  Buffer (0x0B)
						  {
							  "PCI-Bridge"
						  }, 

"device_type", 
						  Buffer (0x06)
						  {
							  "Sound"
						  }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
						  Buffer (Zero) {}
					  }, Local0)
				  DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				  Return (Local0)
			  }

HDMI - working fine

And at the expense of sound on the ITD 92D75B35 - where everything works, adjust the input signal and noise

Please , test :D

Taptun(Oleg)

;) I see. Unfortunately, I have a very different machine and audio is different. But I will try HDMI audio hack. For now, I could only apply the hack and see if there is anything different in IORegistery or System Information as I don't have a hdmi device now. When you have time if you take a look at my audio kext and try to apply the same noise cancellation trick then I would be really gratefull. Here is my audio files.

Thanks,

;) I see. Unfortunately, I have a very different machine and audio is different. But I will try HDMI audio hack. For now, I could only apply the hack and see if there is anything different in IORegistery or System Information as I don't have a hdmi device now. When you have time if you take a look to my audio kext and try to apply same noise cancellation trick then I would be really gratefull. Here is my audio files.

Thanks,

for HDMI in IORegistryExplorer :D :

Works :

- SPDIFOut

Taptun,

I would like to reduce CPU temperature of my DV7, but don't know about DSDT editing. Please give step by step instruction for CPU section in DSDT.

Thank you in advance!

Joe