G5 to ATX Front I/O Cables

enjoyfebruary

540 posts in this topic

dontthroworanges, would it be possible to share info on who supplies the connectors? Did you have to make some kind of special order or request to obtain these connectors? I wouldn't mind trying to build a cable on my own if I could have access to the parts.

dontthroworanges,

I tried PM'ing you during the request process to put my name down for one of these IO cables but not sure if you got it. Could I please add my name to the list of people wanting one if these cables if any spares pop up.

Cheers

dontthroworanges,

I tried PM'ing you during the request process to put my name down for one of these IO cables but not sure if you got it. Could I please add my name to the list of people wanting one if these cables if any spares pop up.

Cheers

Hey there. Yeah I got the request so don't worry about it.

Nice work! If you ever decide to start making them again, I'd be interested in one.

In the meantime, can you post the pinout?

Thanks

I'm just working from the same pinout that can be found in the "How to fit a PC in a PowerMac Enclosure" thread.

If you decide not to make them anymore can we get a supply list and directions to make them ourselves?

IMPORTANT - Please Read - I am not taking requests for cables at this time. Please do not PM me or reply to the thread with a request. It will not be recorded or responded to. Please review the list below for your name. When the cables are available I will be contacting only these people. Thank you.

I'm in the process of making 20 G5 to ATX front I/O cables. Cables will cost 25.00 USD plus shipping. These cables will have the Apple 18pin connector at one end. The other end will have single connectors for LED, PWR button, 1x5 pin USB, 2x5 pin Firewire, and 2x5 pin audio. The main length of cable will be 30" and it will be wrapped in black cable sleeving with black heatshrink. I will also include a patch cable to make both the LED, and the Power button work in the event that you do not have header connections for Firewire. Please check back often to see how they are coming along. Thanks.

Dan

** Update 2009-04-27 **

Please do not contact me requesting a cable or to get on a waiting list. I only bought enough supplies to make 20 cables. So there aren't going to be any extra. Once I finish and mail these 20 out I'll decide wether or not to continue making them. To the people on the list, shipping inside the US will be $5 dollars and international shipping is $14.00. I want to reiterate the point that I will only work on them when time allows it. I am 100% committed to finishing these 20. As far as releasing the source of the 18pin connector. I will release it if or when I decide to no longer make these. I hardly know anything about electronics and I was able to track them down after some serious Googling and research. They are available and anyone can buy them. I feel like the product I am making is a quality product that I have researched, prototyped, and tested throughly. So please understand why I restricting my source. Thanks everyone for their kind words and interest. Take care. Dan.

1. Frogburn959

2. manual123

3. mbzowski

4. akira9000

5. dvdhsu

6. Polobear

7. M4c

8. JohnCa

9. myfoothurtz

10. Kizaru

11. jongent

12. Huibu

13. xcel1sior

14. upperdeck

15. djbiggo

16. tim2o

17. bupalos2

18. PoloBear

19. Ch3ck5um

20. tling

Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9olq_3SMV5Y

DSCF3620.jpg

DSCF3621.jpg

DSCF3624.jpg

th_DSCF3620-1.jpgth_DSCF3627.jpgth_DSCF3628.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think I figured out the easiest way to make that front i/o cable...

I found male-female pin connectors from this site:

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1704

I guess you get 18 of these pin connectors, connect their male tips to the 18 pin female connector from the G5 case, then connect their female tips to the male pins in your atx mobo. No soldering necessary! Can someone please verify if this is correct?

post-615563-1274682395_thumb.jpg

I think I figured out the easiest way to make that front i/o cable...

I found male-female pin connectors from this site:

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1704

I guess you get 18 of these pin connectors, connect their male tips to the 18 pin female connector from the G5 case, then connect their female tips to the male pins in your atx mobo. No soldering necessary! Can someone please verify if this is correct?

I think you may have hit the nail on the head

great

thanks

boxman

• 3 weeks later...
so... not gonna work?

Your idea is a good one with potential - I've just tried to do exactly what you've suggested. The problem is that the headers on motherboards are 1mm spaced - and the jumper wires that you can buy from all over the net (linked to earlier) are sized to fit them perfectly. HOWEVER the 18 pin connector on the G5 case - both the male (on the actual circuit board) and the female on the cable, are smaller than this, and 18 jumper wires won't fit together. You can connect a few of them, widely spaced, but you cant jam in all 18. This is why you need to look for either smaller wire headers, or rehouse 18 cables in the original 18 pin header and plug that in to the circuit board.

• 2 weeks later...
... As far as releasing the source of the 18pin connector. I will release it if or when I decide to no longer make these. I hardly know anything about electronics and I was able to track them down after some serious Googling and research. They are available and anyone can buy them. I feel like the product I am making is a quality product that I have researched, prototyped, and tested throughly. So please understand why I restricting my source. Thanks everyone for their kind words and interest. Take care. Dan.

@Dan

Will you be releasing the source of the 18-pin connector, or are you still making these for sale?

I will be making a small batch soon; I dont know how much they will cost (I need to calculate once I get all the components). I think shipping cost to EU countries will be cheap; otherwise the shipping will cost more than the cable. DO NOT ASK FOR IT RIGHT NOW, I will make a post when I've all ready. THERES NO WAITING LIST AT THE MOMENT

Your idea is a good one with potential - I've just tried to do exactly what you've suggested. The problem is that the headers on motherboards are 1mm spaced - and the jumper wires that you can buy from all over the net (linked to earlier) are sized to fit them perfectly. HOWEVER the 18 pin connector on the G5 case - both the male (on the actual circuit board) and the female on the cable, are smaller than this, and 18 jumper wires won't fit together. You can connect a few of them, widely spaced, but you cant jam in all 18. This is why you need to look for either smaller wire headers, or rehouse 18 cables in the original 18 pin header and plug that in to the circuit board.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but, these might be a possibility. It eliminates the individual housing on each wire and gives you the "bare" plug, which you can put in a multi-housing to create your own plug. Looks pretty easy to do.

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1807