• Please log in to reply
1109 replies to this topic

Master Chief

Master Chief

Just Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Can be also the quad core CPU instead of mine dualcore, maybe in part, or not?

Must be.

I'll try to reduce mine /S/L/E folder...

Good. It helped here so...

Yes it's the screen resolution at boot but with Chameleon adding the right resolution worked, with Revolution v0.6.20 at boot it's the apple that is not in center but the resolution looks right, desktop resolution is ok.

Please check function showBootLog in bootlogo.c and open boot.h where you should find:
#define APPLE_LOGO_X	736 // ((1600 - 128) / 2)
#define APPLE_LOGO_Y	536 // ((DEFAULT_SCREEN_HEIGHT - 128) / 2)

#define APPLE_LOGO_WIDTH  128
#define APPLE_LOGO_HEIGHT 128
Set for my boot screen resolution of 1600 x 1200. You do have this in your version of Revolution, do you?

scrax

scrax

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
in bootlogo.c my function showBootLogo is this:
void showBootLogo()
{
	uint8_t *bootImageData = NULL;
	uint8_t *appleBootLogo = (uint8_t *) decodeRLE(appleLogoRLE, 686, 16384); 
	convertImage(APPLE_LOGO_WIDTH, APPLE_LOGO_HEIGHT, appleBootLogo, &bootImageData);

uint16_t x = APPLE_LOGO_X; // (VIDEO(width) - 128) / 2; 
	uint16_t y = APPLE_LOGO_Y; // (VIDEO(height) - 128) / 2; 

drawDataRectangle(x, y, APPLE_LOGO_WIDTH, APPLE_LOGO_HEIGHT, bootImageData);

free(bootImageData);
	free(appleBootLogo); 
}
and in bootlogo.h I have only this:
#define MIN(x, y) ((x) < (y) ? (x) : (y))
#define MAX(x, y) ((x) > (y) ? (x) : (y))

#define VIDEO(x) (bootArgs->Video.v_ ## x)

const unsigned char appleLogoRLE[] =
{
	0xff, 0x01, 0xff, 0x01, 0xff, 0x01, 0x50, 0x01, 0x01, 0x02, 0x01, 0x17,
	0xff, 0x01, 0xb3, 0x01
};

Master Chief

Master Chief

Just Chief

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

in bootlogo.c my function showBootLogo is this... and in bootlogo.h I have only this:

Please check boot.h and fix the values, or reinstate the old code from a previous version.

scrax

scrax

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
Ok, now it's perfect in the middle. :unsure:
Thank's

Beerkex'd

Beerkex'd

Content Provider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

While this works, it is far too complicated. Period. Thus what we need is a simple tool to dump and convert our SMBIOS data. I would opt for an OS X specific tool. A tool that let's us work with the SMBIOS data [add/change/remove] would be a plus to me. That would be cool. Any takers?

Here's something that might be useful: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=153582

Master Chief

Master Chief

Just Chief

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Here's something that might be useful: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=153582

Nice.

Thank you for the link :D

Beerkex'd

Beerkex'd

Content Provider

• Members
  • 3,000 posts
You're welcome.

For those who prefer the point-and-click way, EvOToolsX from our friends in Spain can also dump DMI info:

http://www.osx86.es/?p=755

bossob

bossob

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:N/A
Hi all. is it still in advance user state only.

Beerkex'd

Beerkex'd

Content Provider

• Members
  • 3,000 posts
Read the first post and tell us what you think. :)

fc bayern

fc bayern

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
After 10.6.3 update...

I have a slower boot time.(earlier was 12 spins, now is 21 spins after the 10.6.3)

When I remove AppleHDA.kext - no matter which version (10.6.2 or 10.6.3, the same rezult) , the boot time is 12 spins again.
As soon as I put AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E, the boot time get slower , and it is 21 spins
Strange, a?

bossob

bossob

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:N/A

Read the first post and tell us what you think. :P

It was just a question.because it was dead in here for a long time

scrax

scrax

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,704 posts

After 10.6.3 update...

I have a slower boot time.(earlier was 12 spins, now is 21 spins after the 10.6.3)

When I remove AppleHDA.kext - no matter which version (10.6.2 or 10.6.3, the same rezult) , the boot time is 12 spins again.
As soon as I put AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E, the boot time get slower , and it is 21 spins
Strange, a?

With 10.6.2 I was using the AppleHDA.kext submitted by MC in the P5K Pro thread, it was edited to have a faster boot time, with 10.6.3 I've reinstalled it 'cause the AppleHDA.kext used in 10.6.3 wasn't working (I have integrate also the legacy ket needed to make it work)

fc bayern

fc bayern

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

With 10.6.2 I was using the AppleHDA.kext submitted by MC in the P5K Pro thread, it was edited to have a faster boot time, with 10.6.3 I've reinstalled it 'cause the AppleHDA.kext used in 10.6.3 wasn't working (I have integrate also the legacy ket needed to make it work)

I copy all the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext into 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext , exept the info and versio.plist, and get back to 12 spins

scrax

scrax

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,704 posts

I copy all the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext into 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext , exept the info and versio.plist, and get back to 12 spins

Nice idea, i'll try this method :)

ntsmkfob

ntsmkfob

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 229 posts
I've been following this thread with interest. My system is a Badaxe2 with Q6600 overclocked to 3GHz. SL10.6.3 is on an SSD and the configuration I had (AseseBLN1.19 bootloader with nullcpu/fakesmc/sleepenabler/AHCIPortInjector in E/E and VoodooPowerMini in S/L/E was taking between 5.20 and 6.05 revs to boot (each segment as 5 minute chunk). I've been playing with my DSDT fixed a few issues but never got speedstep working until now, so kept reverting back to the above setup.

There are quite a few samples of working PR DSDT sections for Q6600 and I think I've tried most of them. Now I just have fakesmc/AHCI... in E/E and no VoodooPowerMini in S/L/E. AppleIntelCPUManagement is starting up, AppleLPC is loading and now I'm down to less than 1 rev - usually 0.50-0.55 - superfast. Sleep and shutdown/restart work fine. The problem is LPC loads but isn't initialised, so the CST isn't set up. CPU temps have risen about 8-10 deg - not to horrendous levels from around 36-42 to 47-52 in normal use, so it seems that VoodooPowerMini was enabling CST, as the P state values are pretty much identical. DropSSDT=Yes doesn't make any difference to the problem - I still get the 'ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed' message in the kernel log.

In the hope that someone can cast an eye over my DSDT and tell me where I've gone wrong, I've attached it below. Obviously, the problem may not be in the DSDT, but at least it will steer me to looking elsewhere.

Something else is that CPU0 is consistently 5/6 deg hotter than the rest. Is this normal?

Attached Files

• Attached File  dsdt.zip   14.01KB   5 downloads

mastershredder

mastershredder

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
ntsmkfob

I have a X48 based board with Q6600 also overclocked to 3GHz i have looked at your DSDT and added what i changed to make the SpeedStep work on my board a few things to note are that i believe you should have smbios plist set to mac pro 3.1 otherwise the speedstep wont work properly also since we are running different intel based chipsets and also different q6600's the voltages that mine are set to may make yours unstable as i actually have set mine to custom undervolted voltages as my chip turned out to be a good-un :thumbsdown_anim: so if any instability occurs just substitute the voltages and you should be set i believe the VID for the q6600 G0 revision is set at 1.2875 according to my motherboard however i can overclock it to 3GHz and undervolt it to 1.21675 and it is absolutely stable yours may not be also yours may be the B3 stepping of the Q6600 which ran hotter and probably takes more voltage to reach 3GHz however give this a go and report back there is no harm in trying as the voltages are lower than your board would set at stock to be safe i have the DSDT voltages set to 1.292 which should be very compatible with all but the worst batches of Q6600's

Attached Files

ntsmkfob

ntsmkfob

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 229 posts
Great! Thanks for your help mastershredder. I'll start playing over the weekend. I have MacPro3,1 set already.

ntsmkfob

ntsmkfob

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 229 posts
Weird! I put a long reply in here that seems to have disappeared. Anyway, I am pretty sure the _PR section of the DSDT is being ignored, as if I add DropSSDT=Yes into cabp, speedstep stops working - speed and voltages are maxed out. This is with any of the several _PR sections I've tried. Otherwise, speedstep works, but the voltages didn't change when I used your DSDT. Other stuff from the DSDT is working fine, and I can easily screw the boot process by getting something wrong in the DSDT.

Thanks for your help.

Master Chief

Master Chief

Just Chief

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Weird! I put a long reply in here that seems to have disappeared. Anyway, I am pretty sure the _PR section of the DSDT is being ignored, as if I add DropSSDT=Yes into cabp, speedstep stops working - speed and voltages are maxed out. This is with any of the several _PR sections I've tried. Otherwise, speedstep works, but the voltages didn't change when I used your DSDT. Other stuff from the DSDT is working fine, and I can easily screw the boot process by getting something wrong in the DSDT.

Thanks for your help.

Is that [probably] because this isn't about Intel's SpeedStep nor DSDT hacking?

petopay

petopay

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
How sure are you this works?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy