[GUIDE] Eeebox B202 and Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.5 Retail

DanielFo

211 posts in this topic

pulled the drive and used another Mac to install the eeebox 10.6.5 b202 package results in the system booting past the grey apple logo, but once th spinning disc goes away the system is frozen.

I'm now trying to restore from a time machine backup...

argh. It gets worse and worse. Now after restoring my time machine backup when booting up it spits out:

boot0: GPT

boot0: test

boot0: test

boot0: error

no idea...

i know you have an usb enclosure. just install my 10.6.3 package after restoring your backup.

EeeBox_B202_1063.zip

hey man, thanx for the helpful guide. however, i followed your instructions and installed from a fresh retail copy of Snow Leopard 10.6.3

however, once i've updated to the combo 10.6.5 and installed the eeebox driver package at the same time, my mouse and keyboard aren't responding anymore after the reboot......

i'm re-installating again and i'm wondering whether there is a way around this?

thanx :D

hey man, thanx for the helpful guide. however, i followed your instructions and installed from a fresh retail copy of Snow Leopard 10.6.3

however, once i've updated to the combo 10.6.5 and installed the eeebox driver package at the same time, my mouse and keyboard aren't responding anymore after the reboot......

i'm re-installating again and i'm wondering whether there is a way around this?

thanx :D

not really at the same time... after the combo update finished, let the window open and then run my installer. i tried it several times, no problems so far...

not really at the same time... after the combo update finished, let the window open and then run my installer. i tried it several times, no problems so far...

srry, i meant one after the other. i let the combo update finish, then i left the "restart request" window open. after that i started the eeebox driver installation. after that installation i reboot and thats where both my keyboard and mouse become unresponsive...

srry, i meant one after the other. i let the combo update finish, then i left the "restart request" window open. after that i started the eeebox driver installation. after that installation i reboot and thats where both my keyboard and mouse become unresponsive...

that is strange. press f8 at boot (before the apple logo appears) and boot with "-v -f" boot options...

that is strange. press f8 at boot (before the apple logo appears) and boot with "-v -f" boot options...

right now, what i did was that i re-installed OS X according to the instructions. however, after the installation it gets stuck at the default background but nothing appears somehow. no dock, no task bar etc..... i reboot and the same issue persists despite two re-installs. could the combo install messed it up? i have the 10.6.3 default snow leopard retail...

and i also used the USB install mode, could that have been the cause?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having similar issues. I was the one that inadvertently upgraded 10.6.3 to 10.6.5 using the Software Update instead. But after much work I reverted the system back down to 10.6.3 and upgraded following the directions very carefully. And upon rebooting, it freezes up right after the apple logo goes away. The screen blanks as if it's preparing to go to Finder but then it pops up a blank grey screen and it's stuck. No hard drive activity whatsoever.

Booting using -v -f DOES work. It boots into the system. However after a few hours of being idle, the screen blanks and the computer is frozen. This wasn't the case with 10.6.3. In 10.6.3 if you click the mouse or the keyboard the computer will wake up. It's just a black screen.

Any ideas?? I tried installing DanielFo's 10.6.5 package several times but it does not successfully reboot. I have to F8 and then go to -v -f and then after that it works for a while but freezes up at some point if the machine is idle.

right now, what i did was that i re-installed OS X according to the instructions. however, after the installation it gets stuck at the default background but nothing appears somehow. no dock, no task bar etc..... i reboot and the same issue persists despite two re-installs. could the combo install messed it up? i have the 10.6.3 default snow leopard retail...

and i also used the USB install mode, could that have been the cause?

Hey Guys,

I am so happy I found this post.

I have an apple TV in my lounge but wanted to replace it with an mac mini.

But then I found this thread and now I am thinking if i should just go with the

Asus Eee Box B204 or newer. The really good thing is that is has a HDMI out and an IR receiver for the remote. I would use the eee box just for Plex and steam music, movies and pics from my WHS.

Now my questions:

Has anyone tried to install osX on a B204 or newer?

Could I use the b202 and have a dvi-hdmi adapter without getting the grey screen?

Has anybody got the apple remote working?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jan

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you, it's working soooooo good.

I have installed everything as a real macintosh , pack microsoft, dropbox, skype, gimp, firefox ....

no problem.

I don't know how you can do that but it's very usefull.

:P:D:D

Just update to 10.6.6 and now i'm stuck in Apple boot logo... :(

Some suggestion?? My idea is to delete Sleep kext using the Snow Leopard Dvd.. but i will try within this evening.

Hi everyone,

I can confirm that 10.6.6 does work except video resolution. So instead of applying the 10.6.5 combo update, I applied the 10.6.6 instead.

I have a bunch of B202 units, so I took the first one and did the steps as suggested. I even got the wireless to work. It's not as elegant as Airport, but it works.

Then I took my next unit and parted it out completely to see about getting the wireless card out. In its bare form, I did the same with 10.6.6 combo update, and voila!

Now one thing I have noticed is that the video resolution is stuck at 1024x768, and with the video res hacks to the com.apple.Boot.plist file hasn't helped so far. So be warned.

This is awesome! :D Thanks for doing this guide!

Just update to 10.6.6 and now i'm stuck in Apple boot logo... -_-

Some suggestion?? My idea is to delete Sleep kext using the Snow Leopard Dvd.. but i will try within this evening.

deleted sleepenabler but no chanche to pass the apple logo..... any suggestions :) ???

• 2 months later...
I can confirm that 10.6.6 does work except video resolution. So instead of applying the 10.6.5 combo update, I applied the 10.6.6 instead.

Now one thing I have noticed is that the video resolution is stuck at 1024x768, and with the video res hacks to the com.apple.Boot.plist file hasn't helped so far. So be warned.

On fixing the display issue for 10.6.6:

I'm new to using MacOS X on hardware other than Apple's

So it was a bit of a steep learning curve installing Mac OS X and getting it up to 10.6.6 so I can run XCode4 on my Asus Eeebox B202

The solution involves following the instructions found here:

http://tdev.me/2011/01/mach-kernel-atom-10...10-6-6/?lang=en

Which is apparently the person releasing the kernels for these Atom processors - thanks Tea!

If you're having hassles with your display after updating to 10.6.6, and you're on an Intel GMA950, read this and note the location of those files especially:

Quoting Tea

After the upgrade the screen resolution is 800x600. To, that would fix it, need to replace your graphics card driver for patched. Для этого удаляем из /System/Library/Extensions AppleIntelGMA950.kext и AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext. Copy the kexts from the archive to / System / Library / Extensions. Run Kext Utility.app and after reboot.

If the sound disappeared then you need to restore the AppleHDA.kext (before upgrading to make it up). Replace in the same way that video kexts.

After doing this and running Kext Utility.app(found here), I got errors "system extension cannot be used", but rebooted and everything seems to be working good. I have all my resolutions back yay!

As an aside, VLC won't play any videos(just crashing) but MPlayer works OK, even if the machine is a bit slow with only 1Gb of RAM on the 1.6ghz sigle core Atom.

Ciao

Hi,

I've followed this excellent guide and managed to get my eee b202 boxes up and running successfully with 10.6.5 & 10.6.6 (with intel kexts).

I've tried to install 10.6.7 combo update and re-ran DanielFo's 10.6.5 package and it works, however it seems to lock up regularly. Generally when coming out of monitor sleep.

Has anyone else had any luck with 10.6.7 combo update?

Many thanks

Sony

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I also got the USB problem on My EeeBox 202

I installed OS X 10.6 from disk as described in your guide. All works I can boot into to the system with the boot CD (on usb stick). Then I downloaded the combo 10.6.5 from the internet, installed and left window open. I downloaded your package and installed it. Pressed the power button as indicated on the screen. But when I put power back on, it doesn't boot.

When I your boot cd and choose my HD to boot from, the system boots into main screen, but non of my USB devices work. When I booted again I with your boot CD, I choose the verbose option and I could clearly see the system is unable to load USB.

The boot problem could have been caused by grub in MBR from previous Linux install, so I fixed that with

"dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/rdisk0 bs=446 count=1"

Then I installed as in your guide but not with 10.6.5, I used 10.6.3 and your 10.6.3 patch. This time all works as it should.

Now I'm trying to connect my apple BT keyboard to my Kensington BT adapter model 33348, but doesn't want to. I got My Logitech BT mouse model Z855 connected without any problem

Pairing the apple wireless keyboard did not work, but when I changed the Kensignton 33348 (although this one should work with Mac) for the Kensignton micro model 33902 and tried a few times, I finally got it connected. Now My Mac OS 1.6.3 has an firmware update for the aluminium Keyboard (so maybe that was the problem all along)

Happy now, got Mac OS 10.6.3 working on my EeeBox 202 with BT mouse and apple wireless keyboard using dvi to vga.

Thanks for your guide.

PS: I don't have the nerves for the 10.6.5 update :)

PS: I don't have the nerves for the 10.6.5 update :D

I found the nerves to update my 10.6.3 to 10.6.5 and it all went well :wacko:

Mac OS really runs nicely on the EeeBOX 202, till I found out Bonjour doesn't work. This makes home sharing in iTunes unusable (and you can't add printers with Bonjour) So I started looking for a fix and I found one, right here:

Guide with Bonjour fix

look under troubleshooting, point 5

Hope this helps some people

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

i've installed Last OSX on my EEEBOX b202. All OK. But when i try to startup most times it stop on a white screen (no apple logo). In the normal startup process the full white screen disappear after a bit and shows the login page.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm torn between wanting to try this very cool hack to turn my B202 into a macintosh, and using Ubuntu. I basically feel Ubuntu offers so much more in the form of Synaptic, PPA's, and just speed. I am curious though..... I'm typing this on my dads iMac which frankly as an all-in-one is amazing and I would definitely want one if I got the money.

The only way I'd try this is if there was a newer guide for 10.6.7 released and I want to know whether the newer ASUS Bios has been fixed or do I still need to use this hacked version? What if I don't use sleep mode? Can someone hack the newest ASUS bios instead of using the older one that was hacked?

So many questions, and well Ubuntu is just easier for now. Damn this keyboard is so nice :/ I am wishing and thinking of future things to get :mellow:

Anyways if this guide is updated to include 10.6.7 that is when I'll try it, or if it's 10.6.8 fine, whatever as long as it's newer than 10.6.5

Cherrio

• 1 month later...

Hi, first of all nice guide.

I tried the usb install side of the tutorial but i am failing at booting the usb stick.

the stick is a Kingston 16GB Datatraveler G3.

i have a laptop running ideneb so i used that one to create the usb stick with disk utility and then restore the osx install dvd to the usb. then i installed the bootcd files from your tutorial and also before i even started everything i flashed the bios of my eeebox.

Here is the thing. when it boots i select F9 to boot from usb. it then gives me the following error:

boot0: GPT

boot0: testing

boot0: testing

boot0: done

boot1: error

What is going wrong here?

I have tried the following:

reset default values in the bios and reconfigure them to your standard. (did not work)

tried recreating the usb install stick.

tested the stick on another pc. got the same error as above.

As said above i am guessing the bootloader did not install correctly so i am at a standstil.

also tried the external usb hdd option when connected to another mac and then install osx from the working mac. got it running until the end of installation where the setup at the end tells me dat it could not install some files at / .

is this normal?

Edit: i see that i am running a old 10.5.8 ideneb on the laptop so nogo for the combo update 10.6.5 to install.

im stuck. trying for 5 days in a row now. im getting pretty tired.

well if you could help me get the usb stick working i would be very pleased.

Kind regards,

a dutchmen in germany :angel: aka Wishmaster