[GUIDE] Eeebox B202 and Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.5 Retail

DanielFo

211 posts in this topic

i typed this in terminal, after reboot it was already "on".

In osx nothing again, i installed it properly. Are you dure i don't need any extra software?

It should work out of the box but i tested this only with an Atheros AR5BXB7 card. Some other users got problems with your card too but with the following kext it worked: IOPCIFamily.kext

Copy the kext to /System/Library/Extensions/ and set correct permissions:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext

and delete kext cache:

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches

Reboot and let me know if it works.

It should work out of the box but i tested this only with an Atheros AR5BXB7 card. Some other users got problems with your card too but with the following kext it worked: IOPCIFamily.kext

Copy the kext to /System/Library/Extensions/ and set correct permissions:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext

and delete kext cache:

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches

Reboot and let me know if it works.

Kernel panic all the time. I don't have external drive now O(nly à ide via USB but that doesnt seem to work with booting) so i cant install new osx, any sugestions? I have à install o&n USB stick. But i have nothing without THE bootcd isn't it?

THE system also said after installing THE kext that it isn't usable on this system, but i think thats à normal message...

Also DanielFo... I realy apreciate your help all THE time!

Damn i did THE last one wrong, i copy pasted THE Same path from THE other two ;( {censored}!!

I'll take THE drive tommorow and now gonna watch Bayern München vs Juventus :P

I have it installed with a broadcom fix from somewhere, now is sees the airport but I cannot turn it on.

aaah im getting closer :censored2:

When you say broadcom fix are you refering to drivers for the standard out of the box wifi card? i must say i did have 1 kernel panic (is that the black screen that says to restart my pc in 10 different languages?) the first reboot after installing the wifi drivers from the ralink website. however, upon reboot, i never encountered a problem again.

since im using my mac eee through the LAN, i really couldnt care less about the wifi card at this point. point to note - it doesnt register as a airport card - i have to use the ralink utility to register any sort of wifi connection.

When you say broadcom fix are you refering to drivers for the standard out of the box wifi card? i must say i did have 1 kernel panic (is that the black screen that says to restart my pc in 10 different languages?) the first reboot after installing the wifi drivers from the ralink website. however, upon reboot, i never encountered a problem again.

since im using my mac eee through the LAN, i really couldnt care less about the wifi card at this point. point to note - it doesnt register as a airport card - i have to use the ralink utility to register any sort of wifi connection.

yes kernel panic is the black screen I had that all the time, not only the first time, after installing those drivers. The system sees it now as BCM4312 14e4:4315 dev01 ... but i cannot make any connection. I did a io810family.kext installation. Maybe if i install osx again and using the broadcomfix it will work..... maybe i'll try that tonight.

Hi.. I have a EEEBox 202 too. From where can I tell if I have the right hardware ie Realtek RTL8111C Ethernet.

When I install S.L. will the hidden partition that has original XP in it be wiped out.

And in future, after installation of S.L. will i still be able to access this hidden partition to do a clean re-install back to Window XP.

Should I just buy S.L upgrade version.

yes kernel panic is the black screen I had that all the time, not only the first time, after installing those drivers. The system sees it now as BCM4312 14e4:4315 dev01 ... but i cannot make any connection. I did a io810family.kext installation. Maybe if i install osx again and using the broadcomfix it will work..... maybe i'll try that tonight.

danielfo, i did your chown thing and now THE system keeps loading on boot with THE apple logo.

Update via my always working iPod touch with wifi :

repairing permissions via USB stick in disk utility...

That helped but still no wifi....

No internet, Logic... Waiting for the sounds.

Anyone experience with Rosetta under SL? I would like to use 'CenterStage'.

You don't have to use 3rd party applications like NTFS-3G under snow. Sl has native support for it, you only have to activate it. There is a nice tool for that: NTFS Mounter (tested with my EeeMac)

But I wonder why it is disabled by default... (seems to be buggy)

I found a nice alternative to NTFS-3G + MacFuse but it's not freeware: Tuxera NTFS (works well with my EeeMac)

UPDATE: I made some speed tests...

Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with native support:

Disk Test	33.28	
Sequential	39.09	
	Uncached Write	39.47	24.24 MB/sec [4K blocks]
	Uncached Write	45.10	25.52 MB/sec [256K blocks]
	Uncached Read	25.87	7.57 MB/sec [4K blocks]
	Uncached Read	61.87	31.09 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random	28.97	
	Uncached Write	10.26	1.09 MB/sec [4K blocks]
	Uncached Write	80.15	25.66 MB/sec [256K blocks]
	Uncached Read	62.96	0.45 MB/sec [4K blocks]
	Uncached Read	81.50	15.12 MB/sec [256K blocks]

NTFS with native support:

Disk Test	32.06	
Sequential	37.02	
	Uncached Write	32.44	19.92 MB/sec [4K blocks]
	Uncached Write	44.94	25.43 MB/sec [256K blocks]
	Uncached Read	25.72	7.53 MB/sec [4K blocks]
	Uncached Read	62.08	31.20 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random	28.27	
	Uncached Write	9.89	1.05 MB/sec [4K blocks]
	Uncached Write	80.49	25.77 MB/sec [256K blocks]
	Uncached Read	63.90	0.45 MB/sec [4K blocks]
	Uncached Read	81.01	15.03 MB/sec [256K blocks]

NTFS with Tuxera:

Disk Test	19.69	
Sequential	26.02	
	Uncached Write	12.85	7.89 MB/sec [4K blocks]
	Uncached Write	44.74	25.31 MB/sec [256K blocks]
	Uncached Read	29.29	8.57 MB/sec [4K blocks]
	Uncached Read	51.56	25.92 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random	15.84	
	Uncached Write	5.74	0.61 MB/sec [4K blocks]
	Uncached Write	55.72	17.84 MB/sec [256K blocks]
	Uncached Read	25.89	0.18 MB/sec [4K blocks]
	Uncached Read	45.68	8.48 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Thnx! it's not that I need it that much, and if I see it correct it's not a very good idea :)

When update 10.6.3 is released can I update right away or shall I wait when you tried it? :)

BTW when I create a Time Machine backup and can I restore it like I'm used to on my original Mac?

Gr.,

Maxx

Thnx! it's not that I need it that much, and if I see it correct it's not a very good idea :P

When update 10.6.3 is released can I update right away or shall I wait when you tried it? :unsure:

BTW when I create a Time Machine backup and can I restore it like I'm used to on my original Mac?

Gr.,

Maxx

It's better to wait until i tried it :D

You can restore your backups but you have to boot with my Boot CD and install the boot loader again.

Thanks so much for this DanielFo.

Was actually bored one day and browsing through the forums when I saw this and it just so happens I have one of these boxes lying around. You can never have enough macs right?

Anyways, all the stuff you provided is top notch but I did run into some slight glitches that I would like to share incase others are running into the same issues.

1. I used a USB thumbdrive for install.

2. After flashing the BIOS, I used your BIOS settings but kept getting Kernel Panics. But after like 5-10 times I managed to get through the installation.

3. Subsequently couldn't boot into Snow Leopard. Tried many times but kept getting KP.

4. Decided to use most basic BIOS settings:

JumperFree Config: AI Overclocking: [Auto], disabled LAN, WLAN, Audio, CPU Config: Intel® C-STATE Tech: [Disabled]

5. Managed to boot into Snow Leopard. Installed 10.6.2 update with no issues. Updated all software, ie iTunes, Safari, Java etc etc.

6. Re-enabled BIOS settings: LAN, AUDIO, C-STATE Tech. Could not re-enable AI Overclocking, kept getting KP. (I'm leaving that on AUTO for now)

7. Installed your EeeBox B202 Package, excellent job.

8. Boot failed due to SleepEnabler.Kext in /Extra/Extensions. Used USB to boot into Snow Leopard Installation. Opened up terminal and removed SleepEnabler.Kext.

9. Boot from USB to Harddisk with boot options -v -x -f (at chameleon choice menu, just select the HD and start typing the options, it will appear near the bottom)

10. You should be able to boot into your HD, install Netkas's 10.6.2 SleepEnabler.kext (only works with 10.6.2, will cause KP otherwise). Use Kext Utility or the command line way.

11. Reboot and you should have a fully working Mac Mini with sleep and restart and shutdown and everything else all working fine :angel:

Thanks so much for this DanielFo.

Was actually bored one day and browsing through the forums when I saw this and it just so happens I have one of these boxes lying around. You can never have enough macs right?

Anyways, all the stuff you provided is top notch but I did run into some slight glitches that I would like to share incase others are running into the same issues.

1. I used a USB thumbdrive for install.

2. After flashing the BIOS, I used your BIOS settings but kept getting Kernel Panics. But after like 5-10 times I managed to get through the installation.

3. Subsequently couldn't boot into Snow Leopard. Tried many times but kept getting KP.

4. Decided to use most basic BIOS settings:

JumperFree Config: AI Overclocking: [Auto], disabled LAN, WLAN, Audio, CPU Config: Intel® C-STATE Tech: [Disabled]

5. Managed to boot into Snow Leopard. Installed 10.6.2 update with no issues. Updated all software, ie iTunes, Safari, Java etc etc.

6. Re-enabled BIOS settings: LAN, AUDIO, C-STATE Tech. Could not re-enable AI Overclocking, kept getting KP. (I'm leaving that on AUTO for now)

7. Installed your EeeBox B202 Package, excellent job.

8. Boot failed due to SleepEnabler.Kext in /Extra/Extensions. Used USB to boot into Snow Leopard Installation. Opened up terminal and removed SleepEnabler.Kext.

9. Boot from USB to Harddisk with boot options -v -x -f (at chameleon choice menu, just select the HD and start typing the options, it will appear near the bottom)

10. You should be able to boot into your HD, install Netkas's 10.6.2 SleepEnabler.kext (only works with 10.6.2, will cause KP otherwise). Use Kext Utility or the command line way.

11. Reboot and you should have a fully working Mac Mini with sleep and restart and shutdown and everything else all working fine :thumbsup_anim:

In my package is the SleepEnabler.kext 10.6.2 from Netkas, thats why i said that you should update to 10.6.2 first.

I don't know why some of you get Kernel Panics. I tried my 3 different installation methods several times...

If you have any idea why, tell me.

Great guide, I will try this sometime soon!

What is the performance of this compared to WinXP? Can I use this as an HTPC and run 720p mkv's? In XP I can do this using CoreAVC with deblocking turned of.

Is it possible to set custom resolutions? My TV have some serious overscan problems, so I have to set a custom resolution to get rid of the overscan.

I would like to dualboot with XP to not ruin my current setup, until I know that this works for me. Is this possible? Will the BIOS upgrade change something for my XP setup?

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, after updating wit this BIOS, windows 7 doesn´t work , Snow Leopard works but no sound, everythig worked before but no sleep, with this rom I got sleep but neither Windows 7 nor sound under SL.

Any hints?

Thank you.

Great guide Daniel, one of the most straightforward hackintosh installations. All the standard features work on my B202, and the Broadcom fix post sorted the 'airport' as I'd swapped wifi cards.

Two issues,

(1) with your BIOS my B202 would no longer boot into Windows XP, and I gather from previous posters that Windows 7 is a problem too. Something in your BIOS seems to be upsetting Windows - any ideas as to what? I'd like to give dual boot a go.

(2) I tried BlueTooth via adapters. The first - a cheapo one, didn't work; the second, a Belkin model, works fine, until the B202 goes to sleep. On wake, it fails to re-establish contact with the bluetooth devices. This has been a problem on other hackintosh netbooks. I tried the 'Bluetooth fix' from NetBook Installer (selecting only this option), but this broke the installation. I looked for a USB Wake from sleep option in the BIOS, as sometimes this can effect it on NetBooks, but couldn't find this option.

Thanks for your work.

Hello,

I followed your installation instructions and everything worked perfectly and I was very excited! However, I did a restart and now I'm stuck with a plain grey screen after I see the Apple logo with the loading spinning circle and nothing happens. How can I fix this? I'm using the DVI to VGA adapter that came with the eeePC Box (B202) to connect to my monitor. Also, I burned the Boot CD using my Windows XP computer with ImgBurn. Could that have affected it? Should I have only burned it on a Mac?

Thank you very much in advance and I hope to be up and running again with your help.

Have a great new year and decade!

David

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to do this on my asus eeebox. I have a question though. I have already installed Leopard on it , following another guide, and I have already flashed my bios to something different from the original. Will I have to flash it again? Will it be difficult? How can I do it (since with Leo on my machine I am not capable of accessing any of the key combination at startup..)

The guide I followed is this one: http://www.enik.ch/2009/01/osx-leopard-1056-on-the-eeebox/

Thanks for your reply

Giu

First I'd like to thank you for instructions. Everything works...except for Restart after Sleep. I followed your instructions exactly as you listed them. I don't know what's wrong. In fact, I went through the trouble of starting again from scratch and reinstalling the whole thing over again just to make sure I followed your instructions 100% exactly as you say and AGAIN I can't Restart properly after Sleep. After completing step 4 in your instructions I Restarted and it booted up just fine. Then I Shut Down and that worked fine too. Then I tried Sleep and that worked as well. I woke up the computer from Sleep and then I tried Restart after that and that's when it stopped working properly. I got the plain white (light-grey) screen after that, so now I have to keep Restarting until it decides at random to boot up properly. I am using a DVI-to-VGA adapter, is that the problem? I see in my /Extra/Extensions that I have the following:

EvOreboot.kext

fakesmc.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OSXRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

So it seems like I have the right kexts in there.

Please help. I'm on the verge of going insane (I guess I'm on the right site?) :(

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...