[GUIDE] Eeebox B202 and Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.5 Retail

DanielFo

211 posts in this topic

Hellu

when i install the eeebox b202 bootCDcopy too my usb stick it gets stuck on "writing packagereceipt" and if i cancel the installation and try too boot it on my eeebox it says something like "boot0: error"

I have followed the instructions perfectly so im a little frustrated :s

if someone could help ill be very grateful. Best regards Lillert

here is the install log with all the things that went wrong under the installation of the eeebox b202 bootCDcopy if its for any help

Feb 11 17:29:05 Unknown-00-16-cb-bd-33-71 /Volumes/OS X Install/private/tmp/scripts.frR6/./postinstall[357]: EFI PATCH !!!
Feb 11 17:29:05 Unknown-00-16-cb-bd-33-71 /Volumes/OS X Install/private/tmp/scripts.frR6/./postinstall[357]: leopatch cd to boot
Feb 11 17:29:05 Unknown-00-16-cb-bd-33-71 /Volumes/OS X Install/private/tmp/scripts.frR6/./postinstall[357]: variables.....
Feb 11 17:29:06 Unknown-00-16-cb-bd-33-71 /Volumes/OS X Install/private/tmp/scripts.frR6/./postinstall[357]: DDing....
Feb 11 17:29:06 Unknown-00-16-cb-bd-33-71 /Volumes/OS X Install/private/tmp/scripts.frR6/./postinstall[357]: 2+0 records in
Feb 11 17:29:06 Unknown-00-16-cb-bd-33-71 /Volumes/OS X Install/private/tmp/scripts.frR6/./postinstall[357]: 2+0 records out
Feb 11 17:29:06 Unknown-00-16-cb-bd-33-71 /Volumes/OS X Install/private/tmp/scripts.frR6/./postinstall[357]: 1024 bytes transferred in 0.006088 secs (168199 bytes/sec)
Feb 11 17:29:09 Unknown-00-16-cb-bd-33-71 /Volumes/OS X Install/private/tmp/scripts.frR6/./postinstall[357]: cp: /Volumes/OS X Install/private/tmp/scripts.frR6/./postinstall/../boot/boot: Not a directory
Feb 11 17:29:09 Unknown-00-16-cb-bd-33-71 /Volumes/OS X Install/private/tmp/scripts.frR6/./postinstall[357]: Done...

DanielFo,

Your procedures and description are excellent! It works wonderfully.

Before I did this, I created four partitions and installed MacOSX on the first one.

I would like to install XP and linux, but I don't know what to do next?

Can you or anyone else here produce another fine set of instructions?

Thanks again!

herbertwest

Is there any where else to get the Bios update and BootCD files? The links in the Guide seem to be down.

Hi,

The download links seem to be down at the moment. I cant get the zip files.

Forget it. For some reason I could only download them using Google Chrome not Explorer.

Hi,

I have been using the setup for a few weeks and it is working well. I have a question, I use Wake on Lan to turn on the eee box when I am away, however this only works when the eee box is in sleep mode. I have read that the eee box can be turned on from shut down, in windows:

Control panel->Network connections->Local Area Connection->properties->configure Atheros L2 Fast Ethernet->Advanced

Set the parameters as following:

Shutdown wake up (on)

Wake up Capabilities (Magic Packet)e box can be turn on from shut down

When I turn on the option wake on lan option in the bio, snow leopard no longer boots. It come up with a screen saying that it must restart.

Is it possible to wake the snow leopard eee box from shut down, and if so how is this achieved?

Many thanks

• 3 weeks later...

This worked like a charm. I used the USB-SATA installation method.

However, video performance is very poor, for instance YouTube video's won't play without stuttering, is that just the cheap hardware or is there a driver/fix?

This worked like a charm. I used the USB-SATA installation method.

However, video performance is very poor, for instance YouTube video's won't play without stuttering, is that just the cheap hardware or is there a driver/fix?

Flash video in general seems to be borked on the B202 in Snow Leopard. Its marginally better on Windows 7 using Flash 10.1 beta. Alas, if only the B202 could do HD Flash video content. This would be the perfect hackintosh box.

On a side note - I'm trying to put together a low low low budget i3 530 H55 chipset build. I've had my fun with the B202 and I think its time to upgrade to better video performance and speed. To be frank though, snow leopard is by far so fast, it makes this puney 1.6ghz atom faster than my room mates Phenom x3.

I really love how the install for this machine couldn't be any easier than illustrated in this guide. It is for this reason, I am really really reluctant to sell it off in order to upgrade... decisions decisions.

Hello ... I was wondering if this guide would work on a Asus eee box B204. I am able to buy one fairly cheap, but don't want to if it is a big problem with Bios setting/flash and so on

Anyone tried other models then B202 (the reason why I don't like the B202 is that it only has DVI and 1600x1200)

Hello All,

Fyi I have apply the 10.6.3 update this morning to my EEEBOX B202 and SL 10.6.2 made using this guide and the box is no longer booting (stuck to the white screen displaying the apple logo) - So stay away from this upgrade at the moment :D

Cheers

Yves

Stuck also for me ... no safe mode ... :(

Are you able to fix the problem ?

Hello All,

Fyi I have apply the 10.6.3 update this morning to my EEEBOX B202 and SL 10.6.2 made using this guide and the box is no longer booting (stuck to the white screen displaying the apple logo) - So stay away from this upgrade at the moment :)

Cheers

Yves

Some info till i update my tutorial (10.6.3):

- the new kernel isn't compatible with atom cpus (has to be patched like the old one)

- graphic driver needs binary patching too

don't know about the rest. i will try my best on weekend...

Some info till i update my tutorial (10.6.3):

- the new kernel isn't compatible with atom cpus (has to be patched like the old one)

- graphic driver needs binary patching too

don't know about the rest. i will try my best on weekend...

First Eastern... that's more important. My comp is still working so, I'm thankfull for that, I have never had problems.

As always with OSX.....

interesting ... i'm trying to restore it .. but without success ...

restoring doesn't work, reinstalling and using a time machine bckup doesn't either. Just reinstall from scratch (make sure you have a time machine backup) then install the drivers etc. At your first boot you can use the migration manager to restore your time machine backup.

that's how i did actually.

restoring doesn't work, reinstalling and using a time machine bckup doesn't either. Just reinstall from scratch (make sure you have a time machine backup) then install the drivers etc. At your first boot you can use the migration manager to restore your time machine backup.

that's how i did actually.

You can always restore a time machine backup (I tested it several times). All you have to do is to install the bootloader afterwards. Seems that i have to write a tutorial for that step too :)

You can always restore a time machine backup (I tested it several times). All you have to do is to install the bootloader afterwards. Seems that i have to write a tutorial for that step too :(

oops you're perfectly right, and it's kinda logical ;-)

Hi Daniel

Works perfectly now on 10.6.3 (both update from 10.6.2 or fresh install) using your latest fixes on my B202.

Thanks for your quick turnaround here !

The only thing I'm not able to perform at the moment (noting related to your work) is a clone of the resulting working boot disk for the B202

I'm using an external SATA USB enclosure that can handle two disks (same size 160GB) connected to a Mac Mini and try with various software (Disk Utility / Super Duper / Clone X 3 / Carbon Copy) but they all failed to make a working bootable disk.

Each time the resulting clone disk is inserted within the B202 , It just does not boot and it is stuck with a blinking cursor. Not a big deal (I can still re-install from scatch) but I was wondering if you have any idea why or a suggestion on the the best way to do a disk clone ?

Great job anyway , thanks again !

Hi Daniel

Works perfectly now on 10.6.3 (both update from 10.6.2 or fresh install) using your latest fixes on my B202.

Thanks for your quick turnaround here !

The only thing I'm not able to perform at the moment (noting related to your work) is a clone of the resulting working boot disk for the B202

I'm using an external SATA USB enclosure that can handle two disks (same size 160GB) connected to a Mac Mini and try with various software (Disk Utility / Super Duper / Clone X 3 / Carbon Copy) but they all failed to make a working bootable disk.

Each time the resulting clone disk is inserted within the B202 , It just does not boot and it is stuck with a blinking cursor. Not a big deal (I can still re-install from scatch) but I was wondering if you have any idea why or a suggestion on the the best way to do a disk clone ?

Great job anyway , thanks again !

Thanks. To make your clone bootable you have to install the bootloader to that clone:

efi.png

Hi Daniel,

Fyi - Just adding the boot loader did not work , but re-installing the complete package EeeBox B202 10.6.3.mpkg did the job.

I can now successfully boot from the clone disk :P

Thanks again !

Daniel,

Thanks for your great work, I want to do the upgrade to 6.3 but what does the installer do with my current Wifi drivers, since my LAN still isn't working under OSX (under WinXP they do with Fusion) so I need my wifi connection. Is the new installer overwriting my current wifi drivers? Or do I keep my drivers untouched?

Greets,

R_B