[GUIDE] Eeebox B202 and Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.5 Retail

DanielFo

211 posts in this topic

EeeBox B202 easy step by step tutorial

10.6.5: Scroll down to see how to update to 10.6.5...

I got everything to work under Snow Leopard 10.6.5, including sleep, wake from sleep, fast shutdown and restart (even after sleep), time machine, video, sound... Here is a Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2li6mOtGBFY

You have to flash your Bios but it's quite easy with an EeeBox.

Unfortunately the build in Wifi card isn't working as a native Airport Extreme and its software is quite ugly, so i replaced my card. You can find a great video how to open the EeeBox here: http://vimeo.com/1690401. If you don't need Wifi, just deactivate it in the Bios.

EeeBox_B202_small.jpg

Requirements:

- EeeBox B202 with the following hardware: Realtek RTL8111C Ethernet and Realtek Audio

- External DVD drive, or big usb stick (see instructions below)

- Retail Snow Leopard DVD 10.6.0

- USB stick

- Boot CD (under OS X: don't burn it with Finder or Disk Utility, it won't be bootable -> use Burn)

- Modded BIOS 1204 (Sleep, USB, HPET, CPU alias and more fixes)

- EeeBox B202 Package for 10.6.5 (password: buymeabeer) btn_donate_SM.gif

1) BIOS Flashing (required):

- Download my ROM and save it to an usb stick (FAT formated)

- Enter the bios and start ASUS EZ Flash 2

- Select the ROM and update your bios

- Load Bios Defaults and change these settings:

Power:
ACPI 2.0 Support: [Enabled]
Tools:
Express Gate: [Disabled]

2) OS X Installation:

- Insert my Boot CD and boot from it

- When asked insert Snow Leo DVD

- Press [F5] and wait till it shows up

- Select Snow Leo DVD and press [Return] (it may take some time until setup loads)

- Format your hard disk with GUID partition scheme and Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) file system

- Install OS X

- At the end you got an error, that's normal because you don't have a real Mac

- Restart and boot from the Boot CD again

3) First Start and Installation of 10.6.5 Update:

- In the boot loader menu select your internal disk and boot from it

- The first boot takes a while, don't worry.

- Fill out your informations

- Skip the registration [⌘Q]

- LAN is working out of the box so download Mac OS X 10.6.5 Combo Update

- Install 10.6.5 Combo Update and DO NOT REBOOT (just let the installer window open)

4) Installation of essential Drivers:

- Install EeeBox B202 Package for 10.6.5

- For your Wifi you can look for drivers here: http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=3 (RT2860)

or get a native working mini pci-e card which is recognized as Airport Extreme (see list below)

5) Reboot (without Boot CD) and have fun!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here is an alternative if you have no external DVD drive (but you need a big USB stick or a SDHC card and a Mac):

- Format your stick with GUID partition scheme and Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) file system

- Restore your Snow Leopard Install DVD to that stick (here is a GUIDE: http://www.maciverse.com/install...flash-drive.html)

- Install my BootCDCopy Package v2 to that stick

- Now you can use this stick for Installation and as Boot "CD" for your EeeBox

- Follow the rest of my tutorial which you can find above (and don't forget to update your Bios)

Another way to install Snow Leo is to use a working Mac and a SATA USB enclosure:

- Format the hard disk of the EeeBox with GUID partition scheme and Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) file system

- Enter in Terminal: "sudo chown 0:0 /Volumes/NAME_OF_THE_DRIVE_OF_THE_EEEBOX" [Return]

- Insert or mount the Snow Leopard Install DVD

- open a Terminal Window and enter: "open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg" (without the "") and press [Return]

- Install Leo on the disk of the EeeBox

- Install Mac OS X 10.6.5 Combo Update to the disk

- Install EeeBox B202 Package for 10.6.5 to the disk (link on top of that page)

- Eject that drive an put it back into the EeeBox

- Start the Box and have fun! (don't forget to update your Bios, see instructions above)

List of working Mini PCI-e Wifi adapters (I only tested the Atheros AR5BXB72 with my EeeMac):

- Broadcom BCM94321MC (802.11n, 300MB) works out of the box with both Leopard and Snow Leopard

- Dell/Broadcom BCM4321 (802.11n, 300MB) works out of the box with both Leopard and Snow Leopard

- Atheros AR5BXB6(-M) (802.11B/G, 54MB) works out of the box with Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard

- Atheros AR9281 (K32 only) (802.11n, 300MB) works out of the box with Snow Leopard (maybe not 10.6.5)

- Atheros AR5BXB72 (802.11n, 300MB) works out of the box with leopard and snow leopard

Update to 10.6.5:

- If you haven't done so yet, download my new bios 1204 and save it to an usb stick (FAT formated)

- Download and install 10.6.5 Combo Update and DO NOT REBOOT (just let the installer window open)

- Install EeeBox B202 Package for 10.6.5

- Reboot and flash the new bios (see instructions above)

- Boot as usual and enjoy 10.6.5

btn_donate_SM.gif

References (sorry if i forgot you):

- Atom kernel: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=197020

- Bios modding tutorial: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;#entry804822

- DSDT patches: http://www.osx86.es/?p=610

- IntelGMA950 how-to: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=178926

- VoodooHDA: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...ic=355&st=0

- OSXRestart: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=199048

- EvOReboot: http://www.osx86.es/?p=749

orry!! I now saw this topic http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=199329

i'll try to use that topic for my case.

I use snow universal GM...??

When installed and THE system try's to boot i got à message to shut down the system and reboot. I used the GUID partition option. Sorry for bad english (om Dutch and now need to work o&n my iPod)

any help would be appreciated, thanx!!

RB

it looks like that my version cannot load as a MBR. Also with your boot cd. Don't understand me wrong i realy know you explanation works. But in my case its' not, maybe you know a solution. I hope...

orry!! I now saw this topic http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=199329

i'll try to use that topic for my case.

I use snow universal GM...??

When installed and THE system try's to boot i got à message to shut down the system and reboot. I used the GUID partition option. Sorry for bad english (om Dutch and now need to work o&n my iPod)

any help would be appreciated, thanx!!

RB

it looks like that my version cannot load as a MBR. Also with your boot cd. Don't understand me wrong i realy know you explanation works. But in my case its' not, maybe you know a solution. I hope...

Sorry i don't know "snow universal GM" and so i cannot help you in this case.

If you want to use my Boot CD you have to update your Bios to my patched version and follow the rest of my tutorial. I cannot imagine a simpler way to install Snow Leopard. Try it and i can help you if you got any problems.

Sorry i don't know "snow universal GM" and so i cannot help you in this case.

If you want to use my Boot CD you have to update your Bios to my patched version and follow the rest of my tutorial. I cannot imagine a simpler way to install Snow Leopard. Try it and i can help you if you got any problems.

i used your Bootcd and bios.

i used your Bootcd and bios.

Did you use a special patched Snow Leopard Installation DVD? You have to use a retail one.

And after the installation you have to boot Leo with my Boot CD until you install my driver package.

Excellent HowTo...! everything worked fine with me. Only when I install NTFS 3F with MacFuse my system won't reboot anymore.. any idea why that won't work?

Gr.

Maxx

You don't have to use 3rd party applications like NTFS-3G under snow. Sl has native support for it, you only have to activate it. There is a nice tool for that: NTFS Mounter (tested with my EeeMac)

But I wonder why it is disabled by default... (seems to be buggy)

I found a nice alternative to NTFS-3G + MacFuse but it's not freeware: Tuxera NTFS (works well with my EeeMac)

UPDATE: I made some speed tests...

Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with native support:

Disk Test	33.28	
Sequential	39.09	
	Uncached Write	39.47	24.24 MB/sec [4K blocks]
	Uncached Write	45.10	25.52 MB/sec [256K blocks]
	Uncached Read	25.87	7.57 MB/sec [4K blocks]
	Uncached Read	61.87	31.09 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random	28.97	
	Uncached Write	10.26	1.09 MB/sec [4K blocks]
	Uncached Write	80.15	25.66 MB/sec [256K blocks]
	Uncached Read	62.96	0.45 MB/sec [4K blocks]
	Uncached Read	81.50	15.12 MB/sec [256K blocks]

NTFS with native support:

Disk Test	32.06	
Sequential	37.02	
	Uncached Write	32.44	19.92 MB/sec [4K blocks]
	Uncached Write	44.94	25.43 MB/sec [256K blocks]
	Uncached Read	25.72	7.53 MB/sec [4K blocks]
	Uncached Read	62.08	31.20 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random	28.27	
	Uncached Write	9.89	1.05 MB/sec [4K blocks]
	Uncached Write	80.49	25.77 MB/sec [256K blocks]
	Uncached Read	63.90	0.45 MB/sec [4K blocks]
	Uncached Read	81.01	15.03 MB/sec [256K blocks]

NTFS with Tuxera:

Disk Test	19.69	
Sequential	26.02	
	Uncached Write	12.85	7.89 MB/sec [4K blocks]
	Uncached Write	44.74	25.31 MB/sec [256K blocks]
	Uncached Read	29.29	8.57 MB/sec [4K blocks]
	Uncached Read	51.56	25.92 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random	15.84	
	Uncached Write	5.74	0.61 MB/sec [4K blocks]
	Uncached Write	55.72	17.84 MB/sec [256K blocks]
	Uncached Read	25.89	0.18 MB/sec [4K blocks]
	Uncached Read	45.68	8.48 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Did you use a special patched Snow Leopard Installation DVD? You have to use a retail one.

And after the installation you have to boot Leo with my Boot CD until you install my driver package.

i now have the right retail version on a USB stick as à dmg. I have to burn it now or extract it to an other USB stick?

Because it wont see it in your bootcd am i right?

If i Convert the dmg to iso and then extract to usable data on à USB stick your bootcd should see it and Leo should install?

i now have the right retail version on a USB stick as à dmg. I have to burn it now or extract it to an other USB stick?

Because it wont see it in your bootcd am i right?

Sorry, but i think you have to burn it or copy the content of the dmg file to the stick as described here: http://www.maciverse.com/install-os-x-snow...lash-drive.html

Or buy a real copy of SL. It isn't that expensive...

Sorry, but i think you have to burn it or copy the content of the dmg file to the stick as described here: http://www.maciverse.com/install-os-x-snow...lash-drive.html

Or buy a real copy of SL. It isn't that expensive...

ok thanks for your help, i think i'll try to get à external dvd drive and burn it.

If it works i'll buy a real copy, i have official tiger and mac, but cannot use the upgrade version for this, so that's why i first want to try it.

Hehe. Does your EeeBox go to sleep? You can try my Bios. I fixed several issues including sleep.

of course it goes in sleep mode... i don't think that have some trouble or kernel panic...

It is power on for about one month!!! and internet wi-fi connected!!!

it's a perfect mini mac! faster!

We also installed snow leopard on the baby asus but it's too much for it.

Atom processor is less performant than Celeron... that's why we choose leopard

http://www.dotexe.it/blog/?p=637 :)

of course it goes in sleep mode... i don't think that have some trouble or kernel panic...

It is power on for about one month!!! and internet wi-fi connected!!!

it's a perfect mini mac! faster!

We also installed snow leopard on the baby asus but it's too much for it.

Atom processor is less performant than Celeron... that's why we choose leopard

http://www.dotexe.it/blog/?p=637 ;)

Snow is too much for it? Why? Snow Leopard is even a way smaller than old Leo. I installed it on a 8GB SSD (with more than 3GB left) and it boots under 20 seconds from Apple logo to desktop (30 seconds from power button). Shutdown takes only 2 seconds.

First i installed 10.5.8 too, but i missed some snow features and after a successful installation of snow i couldn't find any disadvantages.

But you are right. This EeeBox is made for OS X!

Hey Daniel. Great work there mate. Your efforts are much appreciated. Thank you.

I have a few questions, that I hope you can answer please.

1) If I plan on dual booting SL with W7 should I install as MBR rather than GUID as you have instructed in the tutorial or does it remain at GUID regardless?

2) Can your boot cd be booted from the front SD card slot? (My intention is to bootcd from SD slot and boot SL from 8gb pen drive) If possible... how can I set up the sd card to boot in this manner? As in, is there a tool for windows that would allow me to do that (?ubuntusbmaker or something like that?) or is it just a matter of copy and pasting the contents of the iso?

3) You have recommended to upgrade to 10.6.2. How do we upgrade but not lose the atom kernel? At what point to patch the kernel?

Thanks again for your support and hard work. Much appreciated.

No not working...

Ive used a slidely different wat to install but in theory it's the same...

I got this message,;

Your system have to reboot hold down bla bla bla...

Network isn't working. I have the right retail version.

Ive been into macos, but couldn't use THE out of THE box network connection. With your bootcd i cannot boot. THE system is installed right in my hdd. Icebeen into osx and used it so why isn't it possible to start from it after install , i've did all THE steps described here. It is installed at you way, please help.

1) If I plan on dual booting SL with W7 should I install as MBR rather than GUID as you have instructed in the tutorial or does it remain at GUID regardless?

Sorry I've never installed a dual boot system and so i cannot help you in this case.

2) Can your boot cd be booted from the front SD card slot? (My intention is to bootcd from SD slot and boot SL from 8gb pen drive) If possible... how can I set up the sd card to boot in this manner? As in, is there a tool for windows that would allow me to do that (?ubuntusbmaker or something like that?) or is it just a matter of copy and pasting the contents of the iso?

You need the Boot CD only for Installation and till you install the driver pack. It should be no problem to boot SL from a pen drive (but i think 8gb are not enough). Install Leo and my driver pack to it and you should be able to boot Leo from it.

3) You have recommended to upgrade to 10.6.2. How do we upgrade but not lose the atom kernel? At what point to patch the kernel?

You can update to 10.6.2 but after the installation of 10.6.2 you have to reboot and use my boot cd again to boot into 10.6.2 (my boot cd loads the old kernel). Then you have to install the patched Kernel from my EeeBox Package and the other stuff...

Finally, it is installing! :P

i used two drives one sdhc and one USB stick. How? I Will describe later in a�new topic because i Did it different than described any elsewhere. But it works! Thanks for everything!

Hi, could you please explain how you managed to get Daniel's bootcd to load through the front SD card slot? I tried unetbookin and hp disk utility but no success. If you could please give me some information, that would help me so much.

I know how to copy the DMG to the pen drive thats not hard. I just cant get the bootcd to copy and load from SDHC. Please help!

Sorry I've never installed a dual boot system and so i cannot help you in this case.

You need the Boot CD only for Installation and till you install the driver pack. It should be no problem to boot SL from a pen drive (but i think 8gb are not enough). Install Leo and my driver pack to it and you should be able to boot Leo from it.

You can update to 10.6.2 but after the installation of 10.6.2 you have to reboot and use my boot cd again to boot into 10.6.2 (my boot cd loads the old kernel). Then you have to install the patched Kernel from my EeeBox Package and the other stuff...

Thank you for your quick reply Daniel. I am having difficulty in porting your boot CD to a SDHC card so that I can boot from the SDHC(your bootcd emulated) and have it install the snow leopard retail image from my 8gb pen drive. If you know of any means of transfering the boot CD contents to SDHC and still have it be bootable - please do let me know.

Much thanks again to you and the others on this thread and community at large.

Hi, could you please explain how you managed to get Daniel's bootcd to load through the front SD card slot? I tried unetbookin and hp disk utility but no success. If you could please give me some information, that would help me so much.

I know how to copy the DMG to the pen drive thats not hard. I just cant get the bootcd to copy and load from SDHC. Please help!

Thank you for your quick reply Daniel. I am having difficulty in porting your boot CD to a SDHC card so that I can boot from the SDHC(your bootcd emulated) and have it install the snow leopard retail image from my 8gb pen drive. If you know of any means of transfering the boot CD contents to SDHC and still have it be bootable - please do let me know.

Much thanks again to you and the others on this thread and community at large.

You can restore your Mac OS X Installation DVD to a SDHC card or memory stick and install Chameleon Boot Loader on that drive with my kernel and extensions. I will try to make a Package for these steps.