[GUIDE] Eeebox B202 and Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.5 Retail

DanielFo

211 posts in this topic

Thanks for such an easy guide!!!

Question: Is there any way to make the B202 think that there is a monitor attached? I have read several ways of making a headless server etc etc etc, but this is not what I'm looking for...

I am plan on putting this PC in my car and the display only takes RCA composite. I'm using a "VGA to Composite" converter something similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Computor-P...U/ref=pd_cp_e_2

The converter works fine, but when I remove the VGA monitor and restart the PC; it starts to boot up (white screen with apple logo, spinning grafic under) then the screen goes completely white and freezes. I'm assuming the OS checks to see if a monitor is attached and locks up if it doesn't find one.

Again is there any way to get around this?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Some info till i update my tutorial (10.6.3):

- the new kernel isn't compatible with atom cpus (has to be patched like the old one)

- graphic driver needs binary patching too

don't know about the rest. i will try my best on weekend...

Hi man, i've notice your updated guide ! Great work !

What can i do to use your kexts updated package with my installation allready " freezed " on with apple logo screen ??

thanks in advance !

Hi man, i've notice your updated guide ! Great work !

What can i do to use your kexts updated package with my installation allready " freezed " on with apple logo screen ??

thanks in advance !

You can try booting with my Boot CD and install my package. But i noticed that 10.6.3 do not work properly with the kernel i used in my Boot CD.

You can also use another Mac and a USB enclosure to install my package.

Or you do it manually by replacing /mach_kernel with the atom patched one and removing /Extra/SleepEnabler.kext. Then you have to press F8 at boot and enter: -f to ignore caches. Next step is to install my package.

You can try booting with my Boot CD and install my package. But i noticed that 10.6.3 do not work properly with the kernel i used in my Boot CD.

uhm...i will try but i'm pretty sure that it doesn't work

You can also use another Mac and a USB enclosure to install my package.

Unfortunately i don't have another mac with me :-(

Or you do it manually by replacing /mach_kernel with the atom patched one and removing /Extra/SleepEnabler.kext. Then you have to press F8 at boot and enter: -f to ignore caches. Next step is to install my package.

I'll try to access using terminal to the disk and copy and paste these new kext ( correct ?? )

Thanks for your help ! I will keep you updated ;-)

Hello

I had successfully installed 10.6.2 using your instructions and decided to nuke the disk and do a fresh install of 10.6.3.

However despite closely following the instructions I keep receiving unable to find driver ACPI error. Even if I go back to the older bios for the 10.6.2 install and try that I still get the error. I am puzzled because it has worked in the past.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

really cool ...thanks for your update to 10.6.3 ... all is fine after a small fear ... cause the patch was not really entirely installed ... and i could'nt reboot anymore ...

i decided to reboot with the special boot cd ...and i could install properly the eeebox patch for 10.6.3 and after that the boot loader was good ...and now i'm very happy to retrieve my eeemacbox ...

thanks a lot ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Couple of months ago succesfully installed SL 10.6.2 on my eeeBox B202 !!!!! The upgrade to 10.6.3 was also very easy but an USB-stick formatted as FAT32 was refused by the eeeBox. FAT16 formatted USB-stick did the job to flash my bios.

The next thing a wnt to get working is Time Machine. I have a Synology DS209 II+ with Time Machine activated. My Macbook Pro and 2 other iMacs sees the Time Machine server on my Synology. My eeeBox doesn't!! What could be the problem?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

My first attempt at this, and I just discovered that I have a Jmicron ethernet adapter - which Leopard doesn't recognise (as said earlier).

Is there any way at all of getting it to work?

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks for this awesome guide, my B202 has been the easiest of the 4 Hackintoshes I've done!

Unfortunately I have a machine with a JMicron ethernet controller. I haven't been able to figure it out from the BIOS, but I'm pretty sure it is a jmc250 part from reading some Linux forums. There are linux drivers here

ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmc2xx/Linux

Is it possible we could get someone to create a kext out of this? I have no idea how difficult this might be........

It's not a big deal as I have ordered an Apple USB - Ethernet dongle which I expect will work but it would be nice to not need extra hardware.

If you have any ideas to help me achieve this in software I'd really appreciate it! No, I can't really use wireless for the application I am using........

regards

Kaos

Hi Kaos,

Do you mind if I ask which USB dongle you bought - presumably this will be slower than swapping out the card?

Hey Haddocks- I've ordered the Apple one that goes with the MacBook Air. Snow Leopard has built in drivers for this device so it should work ootb. Also I don't think the ethernet chip is replaceable like the wireless card. Here it is

http://store.apple.com/au/product/MB442Z/A

It's a 10/100 device so yes it's slower, but I don't care, I just need a cabled connection. If you're interested, I'll be using it as a Zenoss data collector to monitor an external network.

www.zenoss.org

Many thanks...

My mistake though, I thought you were buying a USB wireless adapter (misread your post).

Not sure whether to open up my (new) eee box and fit the card I linked to above, or just get a USB adapter.

Incidentally my wireless card is an Azurewave AR5B95 (AW-NE785) Im presuming there are no drivers available for this?

Many thanks...

My mistake though, I thought you were buying a USB wireless adapter (misread your post).

Not sure whether to open up my (new) eee box and fit the card I linked to above, or just get a USB adapter.

Incidentally my wireless card is an Azurewave AR5B95 (AW-NE785) Im presuming there are no drivers available for this?

no idea mate. I can tell you that I used an Asus USB-N13 wireless N adaptor on a clients MacBook Pro (dead Airport) the other day and it works well. they are pretty cheap and mac drivers are available, seems to be based on a Ralink chipset, so not 100% Mac like, but works fine. If you don't want to pull your box apart that might be an option.

Kaos

Right, I got my AR5BXB72 and installed it.

At first glance all is working, its detected and shown with all details in System profiler.

But thats all it does, it wont detect my network.

Any clues??

It has 3 points to connect the aerial - Ive tried all 3 - but which one is correct.

Any help appreciated.

OK, I can confirm that I have a B202 with the Jmicron jmc250 ethernet chip. There is currently no support for this in Mac OS X or the osx86 community as far as I can tell.

Also I have tested the Apple USB>Ethernet dongle and it works great. I managed to hang the machine by pulling it out while active, but I kind of expected that.

Over and out

Kaos

I have followed your tutorial however your graphics fix in the package causes a gray screen, Im using the b202 w/ DVI to VGA Adapter and it is a gray screen on 10.6.3 combined update. The only work around is to use the default video res and not install the graphics fix, I have tried the 27ae command from kexts.com and it does the exact same thing returning it is a unknown file but it still may work. However it presents the same screen. Can you please look into this / offer up a fix.