• Please log in to reply
1474 replies to this topic

st0nez

st0nez

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Is there anyway of using 6x ram slots on this board under osx? you mention you only used 4..

Rankrotten

Rankrotten

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Rankrotten, could you please try this:

1) Attach the external sata drive
2) After it mounts, go to the terminal and type 'diskutil list'
3) In the Finder, eject the drive by dragging it to the trash but leave the drive physically connected
4) Go back to the terminal and type 'diskutil list'

Is the drive still listed? If not then you have a feature that most of us do not have and a lot of us could use.

The JMB362 is AHCI version 1.0 according to the JMiicron website.

EDIT: If the ejected drive is still listed, does physically removing it make any difference?

Also, what happens if now you plug a different drive into the dock? Does it mount automatically?

Yes the JMB362 is listed in System Profiler as AHCI 1.0, if I click the actual controller in the list it tells me :rolleyes:

Ok, here is what happens:

1) External sata drive attaches and mounts in finder
2) After it mounts it is listed in "diskutil list"
3) Disk ejected by dragging to trash
4) Disk still shows up in "diskutil list"
5) Physically removing disk also removes the listing in terminal
6) Attaching a new drive automatically mounts in finder and shows up in diskutil.

Attached File  terminal.png   240.77KB   79 downloads
(the purple line should have been drawn above each refresh of diskutil list command separating the end of each step)

The same behaviour is also seen with the front panel eSATA connector which is routed to the Gigabyte GSATA2 onboard ports.

FUT1L1TY

FUT1L1TY

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

1) External sata drive attaches and mounts in finder
2) After it mounts it is listed in "diskutil list"
3) Disk ejected by dragging to trash
4) Disk still shows up in "diskutil list"
5) Physically removing disk also removes the listing in terminal
6) Attaching a new drive automatically mounts in finder and shows up in diskutil.

The same behaviour is also seen with the front panel eSATA connector which is routed to the Gigabyte GSATA2 onboard ports.

Thank you Rankrotten. That was very informative. I do not think your hot swap capability is JMB362 specific because like you said it is working with the GSATA2 port. It's possible that your external dock is doing something actively although I couldn't say for certain what that might be. I have a trayless hot swap chassis that is completely passive. My strongest inclination is that you have a property in your IORegistry that differs from mine. If we could determine what it is we would be able to inject it via a kext or DSDT and gain true hot swap.

Below are screen shots from IORegistryExplorer of my PRT1 (my boot drive is one PRT0) and its subtree. I've expanded important properties within each section.

Could you find your external drive in your IORegistry (You have two Hitachi drives. It's the one that is NOT connected to PRT1)? Can you see if you there are any significant differences? Also, can you please post your current DSDT.aml so I can look for some clues there?

I'm extremely determined to crack this. Any and all ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files

• Attached File  S1.png   139.33KB   42 downloads
  • Attached File  S2.png   49.12KB   21 downloads
  • Attached File  S3.png   102.28KB   14 downloads
  • Attached File  S4.png   83.89KB   14 downloads
  • Attached File  S5.png   61.36KB   14 downloads
  • Attached File  S6.png   87.81KB   14 downloads

mandawebs

mandawebs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, d00d,

Great tutorial, incredible, I have my thing running with no issues at top speed. Only point I think I do not fully understand is this one.... Are P-states CPU dependant (meaning 920, 930, etc) or they also depend on how you are running the CPU?. I have a 930, but I am thinking to try overclocking it a little. Would I need then to play with ab___73's getSSDT5.sh?.

Many thanks!,

Manda.

This tutorial isn't really targeted for that audience, and they would most likely be using a 2.66 GHz i7 920 CPU anyways.

With 10.6.2 the following kernel.log message is seen if the CPU section of the DSDT is passing PStates that are different from what you would get from running ab___73's getSSDT5.sh (2.66 GHz i7 920 or Xeon W3520 CPU example);
kernel[0]: WARNING: ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop::initCPUCtrlLoop - turbo enabled but no turbo P-state found

incorrect;

Name (_PSS, Package (0x0A)            {                Package (0x06)                {                    0x0AE9, // 2793 MHz core frequency                    0x00021728, // 137000 mW power                    0x0A, // 10 us transition latency                    0x0A, // 10 us transition latency                    0x15, // 21 multiplier                    0x15 // 21 multiplier                },                 Package (0x06)                {                    0x0A64, // 2660 MHz core frequency                    0x0001FBD0, // 130000 mW power                    0x0A, // 10 us transition latency                    0x0A, // 10 us transition latency                    0x14, // 20 multiplier                    0x14 // 20 multiplier                },...
correct (values from running ab___73's getSSDT5.sh);
Name (_PSS, Package (0x0A)            {                Package (0x06)                {                    0x0A65, // 2661 MHz core frequency                    0x0001FBD0, // 130000 mW power                    0x0A, // 10 us transition latency                    0x0A, // 10 us transition latency                    0x15, // 21 multiplier                    0x15 // 21 multiplier                },                Package (0x06)                {                    0x0A64, // 2660 MHz core frequency                    0x0001FBD0, // 130000 mW power                    0x0A, // 10 us transition latency                    0x0A, // 10 us transition latency                    0x14, // 20 multiplier                    0x14 // 20 multiplier                },...

Rankrotten

Rankrotten

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Thank you Rankrotten. That was very informative. I do not think your hot swap capability is JMB362 specific because like you said it is working with the GSATA2 port. It's possible that your external dock is doing something actively although I couldn't say for certain what that might be. I have a trayless hot swap chassis that is completely passive. My strongest inclination is that you have a property in your IORegistry that differs from mine. If we could determine what it is we would be able to inject it via a kext or DSDT and gain true hot swap.

Below are screen shots from IORegistryExplorer of my PRT1 (my boot drive is one PRT0) and its subtree. I've expanded important properties within each section.

Could you find your external drive in your IORegistry (You have two Hitachi drives. It's the one that is NOT connected to PRT1)? Can you see if you there are any significant differences? Also, can you please post your current DSDT.aml so I can look for some clues there?

I'm extremely determined to crack this. Any and all ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

My current DSDT file: Attached File  dsdt.aml.zip   6.34KB   26 downloads
Heres my IOReg grabs:

Drive on JMB362:
Attached File  Screen_shot_2010_05_27_at_10.05.46.png   141.31KB   53 downloadsAttached File  Screen_shot_2010_05_27_at_10.12.17.png   210.33KB   45 downloadsAttached File  Screen_shot_2010_05_27_at_10.09.52.png   219.8KB   26 downloadsAttached File  Screen_shot_2010_05_27_at_10.11.02.png   242.34KB   24 downloads

Drive on GSATA 2 port:
Attached File  Screen_shot_2010_05_27_at_12.39.07.png   176.25KB   27 downloads
disconnected and removed:
Attached File  Screen_shot_2010_05_27_at_12.45.58.png   177.11KB   21 downloads

FUT1L1TY

FUT1L1TY

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

My current DSDT file: Attached File  dsdt.aml.zip   6.34KB   26 downloads
Heres my IOReg grabs:

Thanks again Rankrotten. It will take me a while to go through all of this. In the meanwhile, I have more easy question. What kexts are in your /Extra folder? Thanks.

Rankrotten

Rankrotten

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
3 kexts in /extra: fakesmc, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector and LegacyHDA and I also have RealtekR1000SL in S/L/E

FUT1L1TY

FUT1L1TY

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

3 kexts in /extra: fakesmc, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector and LegacyHDA and I also have RealtekR1000SL in S/L/E

That's good to know. Can you also try this:

1) Eject a drive by drive by dragging to trash
2) Remove the drive physically
3) Re-attach the drive physically

Afterwards, please open up Console and look for any related messages in:

DATABASE SEARCHES/All Messages
FILES/system.log

There might be some valuable clues here. Thanks again.

d00d

d00d

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Is there anyway of using 6x ram slots on this board under osx? you mention you only used 4..

I never wrote that I use 4 slots, and there's nothing preventing you from using all six under OS X.

Hello, d00d,

Great tutorial, incredible, I have my thing running with no issues at top speed. Only point I think I do not fully understand is this one.... Are P-states CPU dependant (meaning 920, 930, etc) or they also depend on how you are running the CPU?. I have a 930, but I am thinking to try overclocking it a little. Would I need then to play with ab___73's getSSDT5.sh?.

Many thanks!,

Manda.

Thanks, please read post 1, item 5.

Rankrotten

Rankrotten

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

That's good to know. Can you also try this:

1) Eject a drive by drive by dragging to trash
2) Remove the drive physically
3) Re-attach the drive physically

Afterwards, please open up Console and look for any related messages in:

DATABASE SEARCHES/All Messages
FILES/system.log

There might be some valuable clues here. Thanks again.

DATABASE SEARCHES/All Messages:

28/05/2010 23:44:46 kernel SATA WARNING: IDENTIFY DEVICE checksum not implemented.
28/05/2010 23:44:46 sudo[93787] root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app
28/05/2010 23:45:07 sudo[93883] root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app
28/05/2010 23:45:09 UnmountAssistantAgent[93889] Can't open input server /Library/InputManagers/LCC Scroll Enhancer Loader
28/05/2010 23:45:42 sudo[94029] root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app
28/05/2010 23:45:43 kernel SATA WARNING: IDENTIFY DEVICE checksum not implemented.

FILES/system.log:

May 28 23:44:46 RankRotten-2 sudo[93787]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app
May 28 23:45:07 RankRotten-2 sudo[93883]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app
May 28 23:45:09 RankRotten-2 UnmountAssistantAgent[93889]: Can't open input server /Library/InputManagers/LCC Scroll Enhancer Loader
May 28 23:45:09 RankRotten-2 UnmountAssistant[93889]: Volume unmounted successfully
May 28 23:45:42 RankRotten-2 sudo[94029]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app
May 28 23:45:59 RankRotten-2 Console[94103]: Can't open input server /Library/InputManagers/LCC Scroll Enhancer Loader

Lots of error messages with iStat Menus and Logitech Control Center scattered throughout the console logs. I get a Logitech error message in the kernel during startup but it does not seem to affect the running of the machine and I need it for my MX Revolution mouse. Ignore those.

EDIT:

I uninstalled the Logitech Control Center app as I'm concerned about the amount of Console Spam it throws up.

Here are the new logs and interestingly it appears that iStat Server/DiskTool.app is called each time a disk mounts and unmounts...

29/05/2010 00:22:44 sudo[481] root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app
29/05/2010 00:22:45 kernel SATA WARNING: IDENTIFY DEVICE checksum not implemented.
29/05/2010 00:23:15 sudo[608] root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app
29/05/2010 00:23:48 sudo[755] root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app
29/05/2010 00:23:49 kernel SATA WARNING: IDENTIFY DEVICE checksum not implemented.
29/05/2010 00:24:09 sudo[846] root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app

and

May 29 00:21:48 RankRotten-2 sudo[237]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app
May 29 00:21:50 RankRotten-2 UnmountAssistant[250]: Volume unmounted successfully
May 29 00:22:44 RankRotten-2 sudo[481]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app
May 29 00:23:15 RankRotten-2 sudo[608]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app
May 29 00:23:17 RankRotten-2 UnmountAssistant[623]: Volume unmounted successfully
May 29 00:23:48 RankRotten-2 sudo[755]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app
May 29 00:24:09 RankRotten-2 sudo[846]: root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/StartupItemContext /usr/bin/open -a /Library/Application Support/iStat Server/DiskTool.app
May 29 00:24:11 RankRotten-2 UnmountAssistant[860]: Volume unmounted successfully

Hmmmm... ?? <_<

FUT1L1TY

FUT1L1TY

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Here are the new logs and interestingly it appears that iStat Server/DiskTool.app is called each time a disk mounts and unmounts...

Hmmmm... ?? <_<

Hmmmm indeed. What incarnation of iStat are you using? The widget, the menu, other? I don't see these message in my console with the menu version.

Rankrotten

Rankrotten

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Hmmmm indeed. What incarnation of iStat are you using? The widget, the menu, other? I don't see these message in my console with the menu version.

iStat Menus 3
http://bjango.com/apps/istatmenus/

And iStat Server for remote monitoring on the iPhone
http://bjango.com/apps/istat/

I installed the free server app some time ago and forgot about it until now.

magnifico

magnifico

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 2,469 posts
:rolleyes: Help dood,
I have eliminated from Extension the kext Applecpupowermangement and GeekBench is salted to score 14.000, while before with the kext score made 8000,because?
This kext is indispensable?
Help me please..thank's
I've cpu overclocked at 4,5Ghz ,Xeon 3540.

50chevy

50chevy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
magnifico10, d00d indicates in post#1 that the kext can be removed. (Lower CPU Temperatures using native power management without NullCPUPowermanagement.kext)

d00d, Thanks for the excellent tutorial. I read the entire thread and been studying it for a little while.
I appreciate the dsdt fixes. Using aGA-EX58A-U3DR Rev1.0 f3 Bios. (more specs in my signature)
After dsdt modifications my xbench and geekbench scores went up and my cpu temps went down by 10C.
Now sleep works too! Awesome.

I am newbie so I have a few questions.

I could not locate the ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext on my system. (is openhaltrestart.kext the equivalent?)
Is that a kext that needs to be removed after the dsdt modifications?

Currently in /E/E ->
fakesmc (using for istat menus)
framebufferdisabler
legacyappleRTC_32bit_only
OpenHaltRestart.kext
PlatformUUID.kext

any of these kexts not needed? (like framebufferdisabler or legacyappleRTC_32bit_only )

for insight on what I am using now:
I am currently using kexts for audio (voodoohda) and ethernet (realtekR1000). Going to give the audio and ethernet tips another shot later. I was not able to get RealtekR1000SL.kext to work. (In network status, showed as ethernet cable unplugged) and using IOACHIBLockstorageInjector.kext for orange drive.

Thanks for your time.

d00d

d00d

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

magnifico10, d00d indicates in post#1 that the kext can be removed. (Lower CPU Temperatures using native power management without NullCPUPowermanagement.kext)

d00d, Thanks for the excellent tutorial. I read the entire thread and been studying it for a little while.
I appreciate the dsdt fixes. Using aGA-EX58A-U3DR Rev1.0 f3 Bios. (more specs in my signature)
After dsdt modifications my xbench and geekbench scores went up and my cpu temps went down by 10C.
Now sleep works too! Awesome.

I am newbie so I have a few questions.

I could not locate the ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext on my system. (is openhaltrestart.kext the equivalent?)
Is that a kext that needs to be removed after the dsdt modifications?

Currently in /E/E ->
fakesmc (using for istat menus)
framebufferdisabler
legacyappleRTC_32bit_only
OpenHaltRestart.kext
PlatformUUID.kext

any of these kexts not needed? (like framebufferdisabler or legacyappleRTC_32bit_only )

for insight on what I am using now:
I am currently using kexts for audio (voodoohda) and ethernet (realtekR1000). Going to give the audio and ethernet tips another shot later. I was not able to get RealtekR1000SL.kext to work. (In network status, showed as ethernet cable unplugged) and using IOACHIBLockstorageInjector.kext for orange drive.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks, ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext does the same thing as item 3 in post 1, and I assume legacyappleRTC_32bit_only does the same thing.
None of those kexts are needed except for fakesmc.kext.

scotia

scotia

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Hi all,

Great work all those contributing... I'm loving my Hack.

Just wondering if anyone has got "Wake for network access" or "Wake for Ethernet network access" working?

WOL/WOMP work beautifully, and changing my BT USB adapter to a Trust 2400P means my Magic Mouse works at treat after wake (including scrolling).

Everything works, but I'd love to enable the wake on access feature (I run a service on the Hack but access it remotely).

Sorry if the question's been answered already, but I can't find much on this.

Cheers
Scott

d00d

d00d

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Hi all,

Great work all those contributing... I'm loving my Hack.

Just wondering if anyone has got "Wake for network access" or "Wake for Ethernet network access" working?

WOL/WOMP work beautifully, and changing my BT USB adapter to a Trust 2400P means my Magic Mouse works at treat after wake (including scrolling).

Everything works, but I'd love to enable the wake on access feature (I run a service on the Hack but access it remotely).

Sorry if the question's been answered already, but I can't find much on this.

Cheers
Scott

WOL works with Bit Shoveler's Bonjour RealtekR1000SL.kext, but womp won't be seen with pmset, and `Wake for Ethernet network access' won't be seen in Energy Saver.

nullspot

nullspot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

im not sure if i should attempt this or if my mobo is compatible.

i have the latest ga-ex58a-ud3r (rev 2.0). used kakewalk 2.2 to install and the only thing not working is sleep... will this procedure fix this?

lame question - yes - but im getting desperate :D the first posts has sooo much info and skimming through it has gone right over my head. but before i invest a day in going through it bit by bit, just checking if it's even worth it for my setup or not

Phorte - I also have the rev 2.0 board and though kakewalk says it's supported, there's no indication of which revision, so I assumed 1.0 (as it's been out there longer).

When I tried the Kakewalk method, selecting the ex58a-ud3r, I always was missing the "boot" file (never got created). I finally gave up and selected the ex58-ud5, which did manage to boot my board (though no sound or network).

Did you use the USB or CD method with kakewalk?

Phorte

Phorte

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
nullspot, check the other X58A-UD3R rev2.0 thread you've created. i'll keep updates in there.

d00d

d00d

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Phorte - I also have the rev 2.0 board and though kakewalk says it's supported, there's no indication of which revision, so I assumed 1.0 (as it's been out there longer).

When I tried the Kakewalk method, selecting the ex58a-ud3r, I always was missing the "boot" file (never got created). I finally gave up and selected the ex58-ud5, which did manage to boot my board (though no sound or network).

Did you use the USB or CD method with kakewalk?

There's no such thing as a GA-EX58A, it's either a GA-EX58 or a GA-X58A.
Please don't help to perpetuate this misnaming, it only creates more confusion.
There's nothing magical about rev. 2.0 of these MBs.
The DSDT modifications in this topic will give you sleep.
Audio will work for you using VoodooHDA or aschar1's instructions in post 619.
As for how to install the OS in the first place, one way is to buy a retail copy of OS X, create a boot CD, and install from there.
See the first link for digital_dreamer's topic.
If you have an Apple hardware Mac, you can install without a boot CD and move the drive to your Gigabyte hardware afterwards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy