GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications

d00d

1,771 posts in this topic

But now your drives show incorrectly as ESB2 instead of Intel ICH10 AHCI in System Profiler's Serial-ATA section.

Don't remember where `d00d' came from.

Thanks, but I'm looking for an unmodified one.

GSATA is the two JMB322 chips controlling the four GSATA2_0-3 ports.

You are correct. The drives show as ESB2. However if I use the OrangeIconFix.kext the drives till show up as orange.

Edit : removed oraneiconfix.kext and replaced it with IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

No more Orange Icons and drives show as ICH10 in System Profiler.

Anyone having issues with FireWire messages in console? It keeps flooding mine every 5 seconds.

10-07-06 10:21:57 PM kernel FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 8024 PCI now active, GUID ffffffffff0020ed; max speed s400.

10-07-06 10:22:02 PM kernel FireWire GUID ffffffffff0020ed is invalid!

10-07-06 10:22:07 PM kernel FireWire GUID ffffffffff0020ed is invalid!

over and over again.

I have a G-Drive Mini that works fine on FW400, but even with it unplugged or plugged in (before or after reboot), I keep getting the GUID message.

Mobo: EX58-UD5, BIOS F12, Xeon W3520

/E/E contains LegacyHDA and fakesmc.

I believe I am running some variant of RealtekR1000SL.kext in /S/L/E that came from an old Kakewalk

Tried many things:

EX58-UD5 F12, F13e, F13h - reflashed without keeping DMI data

d00d's DSDT from Post 1, Crusair's DSDT, x.di's DSDT extracted from his EX58-EXTREME BIOS

PC EFI 10.6, asereBln 1.1.8, Chameleon 2 RC4, cartri's special modded Chameleon

Removing /L/P/SC/NetworkInterfaces.plist, editing the IOMACAddress for fw0 (this is as close as I can come to finding out how to change the "MAC" address for my FW.

Mod DSDT to show the two internal NICs as built-in, and rename them en0, en1 (previously had an Airport Extreme as en0, but removed it)

Mod DSDT with x.di's FW power management (it messes up hot-plug for me)

I'm all out of ideas. The reason why I'm a bit antsy is because it looks like the messages stay logged and are written to the HDD, and I'm running an SSD and would like to minimize unnecessary writes like this.

Other people suggest upgrading BIOS, upgrading PC EFI, upgrading Chameleon... I've tried all of that.

This is pretty much the last thing I need to conquer (for now!).

At one point I crossflashed my board to EX58-EXTREME (with x.di's BIOS that didn't really work for me). Don't know if this is relavant information or not.

How does one get post permissions at projectosx?

I'm a member but get `Sorry, you do not have permission to reply to that topic' when I try to reply to any topic.

you have too pass a quiz, there is a link below New User Discussion on the forums list.

d00d the DSDT.dsl file i posted was jus extracted following the guide at post 1,there was nothing done to it.Bless
It has modifications 2-5, 8-12 and 14.

To get a clean one reboot without a DSDT.aml, using fakesmc.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext to not KP, ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext to not reset the CMOS, and then use the DSDTSE application to extract the dsdt.dsl.

That's what i did the first time so here goes again :thumbsup_anim: .I remove all kext besides what was suggested.This time i also selected get DSDT.aml table,so there are 2 files below ,hope this helps.Bless

X58A_UD5__F5_.zip

Same result, looks like there's a DSDT loading.

d00d, I could figure out my temperature problems making a diff between DSDTs. Now W7 and 10.6 share same temps.

But I still have a problem, the system goes to S3 sleep, but when it wakes up, it reboots and then stays in the purgatory forcing me to shut it down. Just one time out of ten it wakes up and doesn't reboot. Then there is no KP or something bad, the machine just works fine after sleep.

I am using BCLK up to 180, 1.20 Vcore and DDR to 1.6V. This is stable on W7, passing more than one day running prime blend test, and also can pass MEMTEST without any problems. In W7 i can go to S3 sleep and wake it up without any issues. All the times it wakes up fine.

Also tried to raise up Vcore up to 1.4V, NB to 1.4V too, but same problem happens.

Any advice?

Cheers!

Used these d00d edits on my X58-UD5 with i7-980x. Works wonderfully. Only have 2 kexts in /e/e/, Thanks so much

One question: I am looking for the smbios CPU code for 980x. I am using 1793 which gives me "Unknown Processor" in system profiler. Anybody know the correct code for 980x?

Thanks again.

rabbit.

hi dood,

I have been a hackintosher for a while now and have used the EX58-UD5 and currently on the X58A-UD7. Ive been using the dsdt from kexts.com USB Image. The solution works OOB, but I cant update my bios until a new Image has been uploaded by another user. I would like to be on BIOS F6 for the UD7, but am currently on F4.

I want to be able to compile my own DSDT which is why your thread is of great interest to me, and i must also add a wealth of knowledge. Is it possible to compile a dsdt using DSDTse instead of the other tools listed on the first page. I have managed to get a DSDT dump via step one while booting without my dsdt and only three kexts (NullCpu, Fakesms + ElliotRTC.) My prob is dont know how to proceed or use getDSDT.sh.

I would really appreciate any help that you can provide..

Rgds,

UTDfan

d00d, I could figure out my temperature problems making a diff between DSDTs. Now W7 and 10.6 share same temps.

But I still have a problem, the system goes to S3 sleep, but when it wakes up, it reboots and then stays in the purgatory forcing me to shut it down. Just one time out of ten it wakes up and doesn't reboot. Then there is no KP or something bad, the machine just works fine after sleep.

I am using BCLK up to 180, 1.20 Vcore and DDR to 1.6V. This is stable on W7, passing more than one day running prime blend test, and also can pass MEMTEST without any problems. In W7 i can go to S3 sleep and wake it up without any issues. All the times it wakes up fine.

Also tried to raise up Vcore up to 1.4V, NB to 1.4V too, but same problem happens.

Any advice?

Cheers!

What in your DSDT was causing the high temperatures?

I've seen a similar problem of not fully waking when my DVID voltage was too high, but there was no unexpected reboot involved.

Occasionally in 10.6.4 with settings that were fine in 10.6.3 my machine won't fully wake or it shut down instead of sleeping.

I'm going to lower my BCLK to see if the problem goes away.

hi dood,

I have been a hackintosher for a while now and have used the EX58-UD5 and currently on the X58A-UD7. Ive been using the dsdt from kexts.com USB Image. The solution works OOB, but I cant update my bios until a new Image has been uploaded by another user. I would like to be on BIOS F6 for the UD7, but am currently on F4.

I want to be able to compile my own DSDT which is why your thread is of great interest to me, and i must also add a wealth of knowledge. Is it possible to compile a dsdt using DSDTse instead of the other tools listed on the first page. I have managed to get a DSDT dump via step one while booting without my dsdt and only three kexts (NullCpu, Fakesms + ElliotRTC.) My prob is dont know how to proceed or use getDSDT.sh.

I would really appreciate any help that you can provide..

Rgds,

UTDfan

Yes, my instructions say that you can use either.

Used these d00d edits on my X58-UD5 with i7-980x. Works wonderfully. Only have 2 kexts in /e/e/, Thanks so much

One question: I am looking for the smbios CPU code for 980x. I am using 1793 which gives me "Unknown Processor" in system profiler. Anybody know the correct code for 980x?

Thanks again.

rabbit.

You're welcome, I don't know what the CPU code would be and google didn't reveal anything.

I'm thinking of getting a W3680 too.

You mention at tonymacx86 that you use the vanilla 10.6.4 kernel and need a pre C2RC5 to not have a fast RTC.

Is that rekursor's branch or other?

This is on my test drive,should i disconnect my main drive to do it then?Cause i'm guessing some how thats what causing the problem ;)
C2's source code at http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon, ABLN's source code at http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=644, and PC_EFI's source code at http://netkas.org will tell you where the bootloader looks for a DSDT.

Thanks for the feedback, d00d. I will also test wake up with stock BCLK, but I suspect that it will wake up without issues. By reboot I meant that the machine wakes up after sleep, and 1 or 2 seconds later, it shuts down and powers up again. Then isn't showing anything on screen and I need to force its power off.

Utdfan: For X58A-UD7 I am using last beta F7r bios, which includes memory fixes and many other cool things. Let's expect they will release F7 soon, since months passed and we got many many betas from GA before final F7. You can grab it here, and you can look at the changelog on this thread:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/gigabyte-latest-bios-28441/

Hi sorry to trouble you again....

But Ive managed to get my DSDT dump via Ubuntu Live CD...

Couple of questions:-

1) Does my bios have to be set to defaults before taking the DSDT dump,

Or, Should I overclock (3.5Ghz) and enable AHCI mode before taking the DSDT dump.

2) After using UBUNTU to give me a dsdt dump i get a dsdt.aml (Compiled version).. Shouldnt I be performing edits with dsdt.dsl (uncompiled version)...? if so how do i get a .dsl output from Ubuntu.

Also is it ok if use Ubuntu as opposed to other methods

3) After opening the dsdt.aml on another system with DSDTse after fixing all errors in compilation with 0 warnings.. what hacks should i be using... (there is DSDT hacks section in DSDTse.) Rather what are the common hacks i should be using for my DSDT.

4) Is there a way to check what edits have been made to a DSDT.. ( i have a DSDT for the X58A-UD7 (bios F4) which works beautifully.. but want to upgrade to bios F6..

5) Is there any difference in compiling a DSDT for a P55 board from the X58 platform.. (any additional edits)

I know these are NOOB questions but Ive been using image files from kexts.com which have worked for me so far, hence I havent gotten into DSDT editing. I would truly appreciate your help and would be uploading my dsdt soon and would request you to check it out.....

Thanks once again for your prompt reply....

You're welcome, I don't know what the CPU code would be and google didn't reveal anything.

I'm thinking of getting a W3680 too.

You mention at tonymacx86 that you use the vanilla 10.6.4 kernel and need a pre C2RC5 to not have a fast RTC.

Is that rekursor's branch or other?

C2's source code at http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon, ABLN's source code at http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=644, and PC_EFI's source code at http://netkas.org will tell you where the bootloader looks for a DSDT.

I am currrently running 10.6.4 vanilla with the i7-980x boot I got from smitty244 here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3365

Love this CPU and huge thanks to your posts. DSDT is clean and tight only using FakeSMC and legacy HDA in /e/e - sleep and everything else works. Just now looking at water cooling as it does get a bit hot on long renders at 4Ghz.

Current boot file attached. Honestly can't remember who wrote it. (embarrassed).

Thanks again. Your hard work has really improved the quality of my life.

rabbit.

boot.zip

Thanks for the feedback, d00d. I will also test wake up with stock BCLK, but I suspect that it will wake up without issues. By reboot I meant that the machine wakes up after sleep, and 1 or 2 seconds later, it shuts down and powers up again. Then isn't showing anything on screen and I need to force its power off.

Utdfan: For X58A-UD7 I am using last beta F7r bios, which includes memory fixes and many other cool things. Let's expect they will release F7 soon, since months passed and we got many many betas from GA before final F7. You can grab it here, and you can look at the changelog on this thread:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/gigabyte-latest-bios-28441/

Hi Gidi,

Thanks for your prompt response.. Ive been having some cold boot bugs with the X58a-UD7 bios F4 which apparently will be fixed with bios F6. Very randomly i get an overclock fail message and the board reverts to its stock speeds. I fixed that by lowering my memory multiplier (once your ram is above 1600 Mhz it happens way more frequently... Ive clocked my ram down to 1200 Mhz..)

I will also be getting my hands on the X58a-Ud7 rev 2.0 by this week and will need to make a dsdt for it.. its using bios FA (initial release).. which is why i need to wrap my head around editing the DSDT. I will also be getting p55a-ud4p rev 1.0 tomorrow and might need some help in sorting the DSDT again...

If i may... since your using bios F7 beta for the ud7 can you explain how you got your DSDT up and running... as Ive mentioned in my previous post (sorry for being repetitive), I have extracted the DSDT from a UBUNTU 10.04 live CD but am clueless as to how to proceed any further.. just need a basic understanding. which hopefully I will get from you guys...

Hi dood sorry to trouble you again... with this repost

Or, can I leave it overclocked with AHCI enabled before taking the DSDT dump.

2) After using UBUNTU to give me a dsdt dump i get a dsdt.aml (Compiled version).. Shouldnt I be performing edits with dsdt.dsl (uncompiled version)...? if so how do i get a .dsl output from Ubuntu.

3) After opening the dsdt.aml on another system with DSDTse after fixing all errors in compilation with 0 errors & 0 warnings.. what edits (hacks under DSDTSE) or additional edits should i be using... (I know there is this _WAK & HPET error that has to be fixed but dont know how to) Rather what are the common edits i should be using for my DSDT.

4) Is there a way to check what edits have been made to a DSDT.. ( i have a DSDT for the X58A-UD7 (bios F4) which works beautifully.. but want to upgrade to bios F6..

5) Is there any difference in compiling a DSDT for a P55 board from the X58 platform.. (any additional edits)

I know these are NOOB questions but Ive been using image files from kexts.com which have worked for me so far, hence I havent gotten into DSDT editing. I would truly appreciate your help and would be uploading my dsdt soon and would request you to check it out.....

I just need a bit of clarification as Im a bit confused with the basics...

Please do help out....

I have a new GA-X58A-UD5 rev. 1 motherboard with a W3520 Xeon processor, the W3520 being on the supported processor list for this board. However, ECC memory is not on the supported memory list, though d00d mentioned in the first post that ECC memory does indeed work. I am trying to build a server with this board and processor, and so ECC memory is desirable. However, the motherboard doesn't light up with 3x4gb of Crucial Registered ECC DDR3 PC3-10600(DDR3-1333) memory - doesn't post, no beep codes, nothing.

For those of you using a Xeon processor and ECC memory, are you using Registered or Unbuffered ECC memory? Can both be used or only one or the other? The problem might be that 3x4gb memory modules won't fly, even though the motherboard supports 24gb of memory, which would mean that you would have to use six 4gb modules to get up to 24gb of DDR3-1333 ECC RAM. But there is no 4x3gb RAM, ECC or not, on Gigabyte's recommended memory PDF sheet. Any information on what type and size of ECC memory has worked(including Manufacturer) would be helpful - thanks!

Hi guys. I'm gonna buy ozc memory, gigabyte MB, bla bla bla

My question is: Wha is better for all cores runing, and run smothely, COre it 2.66GHz or 4.3GHz¿

And if I buy a 4.3 also I ahve to add all this parches?

Thanks so much for your time guys and keep the good work.

What's with these fsking double underlined Kontera ads!?

Hi dood sorry to trouble you again... with this repost

Or, can I leave it overclocked with AHCI enabled before taking the DSDT dump.

3) After opening the dsdt.aml on another system with DSDTse after fixing all errors in compilation with 0 errors & 0 warnings.. what edits (hacks under DSDTSE) or additional edits should i be using... (I know there is this _WAK & HPET error that has to be fixed but dont know how to) Rather what are the common edits i should be using for my DSDT.

I just need a bit of clarification as Im a bit confused with the basics...

Please do help out....

It can be overclocked.

Don't know about the Ubuntu method, but the DSDTSE or getDSDT.sh and iasl methods are described in post 1.

You are just using DSDTSE as a dsdt.dsl text editor and modifying it using post 1's numbered items.

Do a diff.

Don't know.

I have a new GA-X58A-UD5 rev. 1 motherboard with a W3520 Xeon processor, the W3520 being on the supported processor list for this board. However, ECC memory is not on the supported memory list, though d00d mentioned in the first post that ECC memory does indeed work. I am trying to build a server with this board and processor, and so ECC memory is desirable. However, the motherboard doesn't light up with 3x4gb of Crucial Registered ECC DDR3 PC3-10600(DDR3-1333) memory - doesn't post, no beep codes, nothing.

For those of you using a Xeon processor and ECC memory, are you using Registered or Unbuffered ECC memory? Can both be used or only one or the other? The problem might be that 3x4gb memory modules won't fly, even though the motherboard supports 24gb of memory, which would mean that you would have to use six 4gb modules to get up to 24gb of DDR3-1333 ECC RAM. But there is no 4x3gb RAM, ECC or not, on Gigabyte's recommended memory PDF sheet. Any information on what type and size of ECC memory has worked(including Manufacturer) would be helpful - thanks!

I'm using 6 x 2GB Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2 unbuffered ECC memory.

I've added `unbuffered' to post 1.

Are you putting the three DIMMs in slots DDR3_1, DDR3_3 and DDR3_5?

This would be the 2nd, 4th and 6th slots when looking at the MB from left to right.

I am currrently running 10.6.4 vanilla with the i7-980x boot I got from smitty244 here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3365

Love this CPU and huge thanks to your posts. DSDT is clean and tight only using FakeSMC and legacy HDA in /e/e - sleep and everything else works. Just now looking at water cooling as it does get a bit hot on long renders at 4Ghz.

Current boot file attached. Honestly can't remember who wrote it. (embarrassed).

Thanks again. Your hard work has really improved the quality of my life.

rabbit.

thanks

Utdfan, as d00d says, I don't know how is the linux method. Should be right too since is dumping the same. But if you want to get it from OSX:

Boot without DSDT.aml (remove it), put fakesmc.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext in /Extra/Extensions or /System/Library/Extesnsions to avoid any Kernel Panic or BIOS going back to defaults.

When you boot in that environment, just run getDSDT.sh. It will produce a dsdt.dat, which you need to decompile by running './iasl -d dsdt.dat'. Then you will have a clean DSDT.dsl, which you now can edit with any text editor, fix its errors, and compile it to DSDT.aml.

That's all the science behind this process. Hope you solve it soon, if not, feel free to ask us.

Utdfan, as d00d says, I don't know how is the linux method. Should be right too since is dumping the same. But if you want to get it from OSX:

Boot without DSDT.aml (remove it), put fakesmc.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext in /Extra/Extensions or /System/Library/Extesnsions to avoid any Kernel Panic or BIOS going back to defaults.

When you boot in that environment, just run getDSDT.sh. It will produce a dsdt.dat, which you need to decompile by running './iasl -d dsdt.dat'. Then you will have a clean DSDT.dsl, which you now can edit with any text editor, fix its errors, and compile it to DSDT.aml.

That's all the science behind this process. Hope you solve it soon, if not, feel free to ask us.

Thanks, will give it a try and post the results. Cheers for all the support and help guys.....

d00d, thanks for your quick reply concerning your use of unbuffered ECC Kingston memory. Yes, I had the RAM in the right slots(tried it in 2/4/6(blue) slots as well), but it doesn't look like ECC Registered RAM will work. The LED readout produced a b8 error, which indicates a memory/RAM problem as far as I can tell. Not very good documentation on what these codes actually mean. Don't know which bios version this rev 1 X58A-UD5 board has because it doesn't post, and so it might be the F1 version, which does support/recognize the W3520 Xeon processor, at least... Hopefully everything will light up properly when I get the new unbuffered ECC RAM next week.

ps: Your initial post on this big topic is nothing short of exceptional. Like everyone else on here, I have read a lot of tutorials but few if any of them are as carefully written as yours. Not only that, but your post contains a lot of anecdotal information which throws much light on a variety of topics, not just the primary one concerning native power management of these Gigabyte X58 motherboards... and that is much appreciated. Thanks for all your efforts!

d00d, thanks for your quick reply concerning your use of unbuffered ECC Kingston memory. Yes, I had the RAM in the right slots(tried it in 2/4/6(blue) slots as well), but it doesn't look like ECC Registered RAM will work. The LED readout produced a b8 error, which indicates a memory/RAM problem as far as I can tell. Not very good documentation on what these codes actually mean. Don't know which bios version this rev 1 X58A-UD5 board has because it doesn't post, and so it might be the F1 version, which does support/recognize the W3520 Xeon processor, at least... Hopefully everything will light up properly when I get the new unbuffered ECC RAM next week.

ps: Your initial post on this big topic is nothing short of exceptional. Like everyone else on here, I have read a lot of tutorials but few if any of them are as carefully written as yours. Not only that, but your post contains a lot of anecdotal information which throws much light on a variety of topics, not just the primary one concerning native power management of these Gigabyte X58 motherboards... and that is much appreciated. Thanks for all your efforts!

Thanks, and here's an issue I ran into when I was trying to transfer my files to my laptop for a business trip;

OS X Migration Assistant or NFS Manager won't work with a DVD in the drive of the `transfer from' or `export' machine.

Error on `transfer to' machine is:

mount_nfs: can't access /: Permission denied'.

This is a problem with the `transfer from' machine.

Error on `export' machine is:

Can't export /Users: Is a directory (21)

exports:1: kernel export registration failed:

NFS exporting not supported by fstype "hfs" (readdir)

See http://osdir.com/ml/macos-x-server/2010-04/msg00335.html for a clue.

D00D , what kind of cooling system do you use to achieve these idle temps?

Idle temperature comparison:

Idle CPU temperatures at 4.3 GHz (turbo disabled) and 19 C ambient; 42-46 C

Idle CPU temperatures at 4.3 GHz (turbo disabled) with a speed step MacPro4_1.plist, and 19 C ambient; 42-46 C

Idle CPU temperatures at 4.3 GHz (turbo disabled) with a speed step MacPro4_1.plist, DVID, and 19 C ambient; 35-39 C

I have the Intel Stock CPU fan and a system Fan on the back of the mid tower case. I use your DSDT file from this post and verified speed stepping is working using imark-i. @ idle my cpu temps are around 53-55 C. BCLK is set to 160 and multiplier set to 20 giving me a 3.2Ghz i920

I believe I have all the proper BIOS settings as referenced in this post.