GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications

d00d

1,771 posts in this topic

Right, kextcache is only used if you have changed your Extra kexts.

If you change your kexts in S/L/E the OS will update it's Extensions.mkext in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/.

I've never seen an mdworker KP in two installs, but it can generate high CPU load, perhaps the overclock voltages need tuning.

Ok, in that case, I will skip the buildcache step.

I just went to change my BIOS settings, but I don't dare to put in the settings you gave in the file of DVID_4.3. Some things didn't really match up (like Vcore of 1.56, that's not an option on my BIOS). I guess you weren't using a 920, were you?

I'd just like to know which BIOS settings are mandatory for the Native powermanagement to work, the overclock I can always do later.

You should have googled the answer, link.

Ok either I am blind or plainly stupid...I checked the link out and it only made a reference to the dummy kext by the King, I am on 10.6.2 so I should be using demongs plist, I will ask again kindly :( ...where do I place this plist file?

Thanks

Ok, in that case, I will skip the buildcache step.

I just went to change my BIOS settings, but I don't dare to put in the settings you gave in the file of DVID_4.3. Some things didn't really match up (like Vcore of 1.56, that's not an option on my BIOS). I guess you weren't using a 920, were you?

I'd just like to know which BIOS settings are mandatory for the Native powermanagement to work, the overclock I can always do later.

You should be able to go to 1.56 v for Vcore, the setting you are seeing is different, and unless you have 12 GB of memory, yours should be lower;

QPI/VTT Voltage 1.2v ............ [AUTO] 1.56

The settings in Advanced CPU Features can be enabled for native PM, but if you're using a DSDT with [P|C]States, it's enabled by that.

I'm using a Xeon W3520, it's essentially the same as your i7 920, but it has the capability to use ECC memory.

Ok either I am blind or plainly stupid...I checked the link out and it only made a reference to the dummy kext by the King, I am on 10.6.2 so I should be using demongs plist, I will ask again kindly :unsure: ...where do I place this plist file?

Thanks

It's in post 1 towards the bottom before the links.

You should be able to go to 1.56 v for Vcore, the setting you are seeing is different, and unless you have 12 GB of memory, yours should be lower;

QPI/VTT Voltage 1.2v ............ [AUTO] 1.56

The settings in Advanced CPU Features can be enabled for native PM, but if you're using a DSDT with [P|C]States, it's enabled by that.

I'm using a Xeon W3520, it's essentially the same as your i7 920, but it has the capability to use ECC memory.

It's in post 1 towards the bottom before the links.

Ok, well, I'll go in again and maybe change it. But I remember that the closest setting was 1.555 and it was colored red (I guess it's pretty high). I have 6 GB of memory so maybe that's why. For now though, I don't need an overclock yet and I was just wondering if I need to make any changes in the BIOS for the native powermanagement to work. When I'm using a DSDT with [P|C]States you say it's enabled by that? I assume you mean that OSX will change it itself?

I'm just a bit confused here :unsure:

Ok, well, I'll go in again and maybe change it. But I remember that the closest setting was 1.555 and it was colored red (I guess it's pretty high). I have 6 GB of memory so maybe that's why. For now though, I don't need an overclock yet and I was just wondering if I need to make any changes in the BIOS for the native powermanagement to work. When I'm using a DSDT with [P|C]States you say it's enabled by that? I assume you mean that OSX will change it itself?

I'm just a bit confused here :unsure:

It goes red at 1.58 v.

The OS gets it's orders from the BIOS aor the DSDT.

It goes red at 1.58 v.

The OS gets it's orders from the BIOS aor the DSDT.

I took a picture that shows that it doesn't have 1.58 for me and that it's already red (or pink actually) at this level. It goes blinking red at 1.615.

I'm using a stock cooler and I just don't like the idea of putting too many Volts on my CPU.

The default isn't 1.2 either, it's 1.175 so I have a feeling that there's something wrong here. But anyway, these settings aren't the most important for the native powermanagement to work, right?

post-541676-1262811296_thumb.jpg

I took a picture that shows that it doesn't have 1.58 for me and that it's already red (or pink actually) at this level. It goes blinking red at 1.615.

I'm using a stock cooler and I just don't like the idea of putting too many Volts on my CPU.

The default isn't 1.2 either, it's 1.175 so I have a feeling that there's something wrong here. But anyway, these settings aren't the most important for the native powermanagement to work, right?

Yes, you should stay out of the red.

My QPI/VTT is pink up to 1.56, then red at 1.58, and the steps are .02.

I compared your picture against Gigabyte's `Core i7 920 oc 4G 2008.12.12_(ENG).pdf' and that shows a setting of 1.515.

My W3520 steps from 1.56 pink to 1.58 red, but your 920 steps from 1.595 pink to 1.615 red, for different values but using the same .02 step.

Regardless, these are over clock settings and don't directly have anything to do with native PM.

I'm having real big trouble to get the RealtekR1000SL.kext working. It is in the right place but when I look for it with ls -@la I see it has attributes or something with com.apple.Finderinfo and com.apple.quarantine. What did I do wrong here and how do I fix it? I've tried everything I could think of and at the moment have no other pc or mac (typing this from my iPhone).

The kext won't load so have no network. In ls -la it shows up as:

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Jan 00:09 RealtekR1000SL.kext

as you can see, the @ shouldn't be there.

Update!

Got it working, I don't know what I did wrong at the start, but I got rid of the attributes by a lot of Googling. And I mean, A LOT. The problem with Google is that it wouldn't let me search for the "@" sign which is pretty important in this case since I didn't know what it meant.

I have been stuck here for almost 2 hours, haha! But at least this gives me some experience with advanced Terminal work. What I did to remove the so called Extended Attribute key was to use the xattr command:

xattr -d -r com.apple.FinderInfo RealtekR1000SL.kext
xattr -d -r com.apple.quarantine RealtekR1000SL.kext

This way I managed to delete both attributes and the kext loaded perfectly after a reboot!

-------------

I am still in 32-bit mode though (booted with arch=i386 in the boot plist) but waking from sleep doesn't work unfortunately. After trying to wake from sleep, the system starts (fans and hard drives spin up) but the displays (I have 2) stay off. This was exactly what I experienced when using DD's script and it was one of the reasons for me to tryout d00d's guide. I'm sure I can make it work though, with some help :D. I can't provide any logs now (and where would I find them?) because I got into bed, it's way too late, this thing seems to keep me busy all evening. You know how time flies when you're having 'fun'.

Anyway, I suspect that the GraphicsEnabler is giving the trouble because the system woke up after using an EFI string. I don't want to use an EFI string though, it gives a random KP after wake and doesn't realy work with native PM.

I'm pretty much stranded here and don't know what to do, any help, hints or tips are more than welcome!

-------------

Update 2!

So, this morning I miraculously got up too early (yes, it was an accident, I promise) and I had some time left. So guess what I did, right, I did some more attempts to get it working.

Turns out that booting in 64-bit mode (with using the arch=x86_64 flag at bootloader prompt) seems to be the trick! I don't know how, where or what, but it works. Which means that sleep/wake works with 2 displays, no KP yet!

But here come some more questions from me, the forever-asking-questions-n00b:

1. Shutdown. I'm not sure if there's a log for that. If not, I can take a photo of the shutdown but the basic line is that the displays go off but the machine keeps on. Is this because your (d00d's) patched DSDT doesn't have step 16 of your start post included? I decompiled my DSDT.aml and the changes you suggest to make weren't there.
  2. Restart. Kind of the same problem actually, same cause maybe?
  3. If I actually need/want to edit my DSDT now (to carry out step 16 and 17 myself), how do I do that? Is it as simply as using this to decompile, then edit it and compile it again with iaslMe?
    I'm using a GUI version of iasl called iaslMe, you just drag the files and it compiles/decompiles it.

Yes, you should stay out of the red.

My QPI/VTT is pink up to 1.56, then red at 1.58, and the steps are .02.

I compared your picture against Gigabyte's `Core i7 920 oc 4G 2008.12.12_(ENG).pdf' and that shows a setting of 1.515.

My W3520 steps from 1.56 pink to 1.58 red, but your 920 steps from 1.595 pink to 1.615 red, for different values but using the same .02 step.

Regardless, these are over clock settings and don't directly have anything to do with native PM.

FYI, I've updated my signature to include my BIOS settings for OC'ing. I don't have a P55 MOBO or an i7 but a lot of it may still be applicable.

I'm having real big trouble to get the RealtekR1000SL.kext working. It is in the right place but when I look for it with ls -@la I see it has attributes or something with com.apple.Finderinfo and com.apple.quarantine. What did I do wrong here and how do I fix it? I've tried everything I could think of and at the moment have no other pc or mac (typing this from my iPhone).

The kext won't load so have no network. In ls -la it shows up as:

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Jan 00:09 RealtekR1000SL.kext

as you can see, the @ shouldn't be there.

Update!

Got it working, I don't know what I did wrong at the start, but I got rid of the attributes by a lot of Googling. And I mean, A LOT. The problem with Google is that it wouldn't let me search for the "@" sign which is pretty important in this case since I didn't know what it meant.

I have been stuck here for almost 2 hours, haha! But at least this gives me some experience with advanced Terminal work. What I did to remove the so called Extended Attribute key was to use the xattr command:

xattr -d -r com.apple.FinderInfo RealtekR1000SL.kext
xattr -d -r com.apple.quarantine RealtekR1000SL.kext

This way I managed to delete both attributes and the kext loaded perfectly after a reboot!

-------------

I am still in 32-bit mode though (booted with arch=i386 in the boot plist) but waking from sleep doesn't work unfortunately. After trying to wake from sleep, the system starts (fans and hard drives spin up) but the displays (I have 2) stay off. This was exactly what I experienced when using DD's script and it was one of the reasons for me to tryout d00d's guide. I'm sure I can make it work though, with some help :wacko: . I can't provide any logs now (and where would I find them?) because I got into bed, it's way too late, this thing seems to keep me busy all evening. You know how time flies when you're having 'fun'.

Anyway, I suspect that the GraphicsEnabler is giving the trouble because the system woke up after using an EFI string. I don't want to use an EFI string though, it gives a random KP after wake and doesn't realy work with native PM.

I'm pretty much stranded here and don't know what to do, any help, hints or tips are more than welcome!

-------------

Update 2!

So, this morning I miraculously got up too early (yes, it was an accident, I promise) and I had some time left. So guess what I did, right, I did some more attempts to get it working.

Turns out that booting in 64-bit mode (with using the arch=x86_64 flag at bootloader prompt) seems to be the trick! I don't know how, where or what, but it works. Which means that sleep/wake works with 2 displays, no KP yet!

But here come some more questions from me, the forever-asking-questions-n00b:

1. Shutdown. I'm not sure if there's a log for that. If not, I can take a photo of the shutdown but the basic line is that the displays go off but the machine keeps on. Is this because your (d00d's) patched DSDT doesn't have step 16 of your start post included? I decompiled my DSDT.aml and the changes you suggest to make weren't there.
  2. Restart. Kind of the same problem actually, same cause maybe?
  3. If I actually need/want to edit my DSDT now (to carry out step 16 and 17 myself), how do I do that? Is it as simply as using this to decompile, then edit it and compile it again with iaslMe?

I wouldn't be too certain that the kext having extended attributes is it, mine has com.apple.quarantine without issue, but I'm glad that you're past the problem.

Third party application kexts in S/L/E will also have these;

[mac05:~] root# xattr /System/Library/Extensions/RoxioBluRaySupport.kext

com.apple.FinderInfo

[mac05:~] root#

1. yes

2. Restart needs a kext or modified boot, read 16 again.

3. The easiest way to edit and compile the DSDT is to use DSDTSE, read post 1 before point 1.

d00d - is there any reason why your DSDT wouldn't work on the Extreme board - latest BIOS - I get an ACPI panic right after the DSDT loads
Just as you can't use a UD5 BIOS to update your Extreme, you can't take a modified DSDT that was dumped from a UD5 BIOS and use it with an Extreme.

You can however dump your Extreme BIOS's DSDT and modify it according to the instructions in post 1.

Just as you can't use a UD5 BIOS to update your Extreme, you can't take a modified DSDT that was dumped from a UD5 BIOS and use it with an Extreme.

You can however dump your Extreme BIOS's DSDT and modify it according to the instructions in post 1.

Hmm - ok - that makes sense - However when I had SL server on I used the first BIOS you posted - worked fine?? Weird - Now installing reg SL and panics with the same BIOS??

Hmm - ok - that makes sense - However when I had SL server on I used the first BIOS you posted - worked fine?? Weird - Now installing reg SL and panics with the same BIOS??
Are you using Extreme F9p, which is the latest that includes DVID, that could be equivalent to the latest UD5 F9m?

Are you using Extreme F9p, which is the latest that includes DVID, that could be equivalent to the latest UD5 F9m?

You bet - tried F7 - F9D - F9P - Really weird - It worked on F7 when you started the thread - only difference is SL Server vs SL

I wouldn't be too certain that the kext having extended attributes is it, mine has com.apple.quarantine without issue, but I'm glad that you're past the problem.

Third party application kexts in S/L/E will also have these;

[mac05:~] root# xattr /System/Library/Extensions/RoxioBluRaySupport.kext

com.apple.FinderInfo

[mac05:~] root#

1. yes

2. Restart needs a kext or modified boot, read 16 again.

3. The easiest way to edit and compile the DSDT is to use DSDTSE, read post 1 before point 1.

Ok, I will carry out those fixes soon. DSDTSE is a nice app, thank you for mentioning it. I did read your startpost, but in the beginning there was just too much techtalk coming at me that I misread it. I'll use it to do the changes of step 16 and 17.

---------------

I guess after that I can install the combo update?

---------------

Also worth mentioning is that I got a KP. The mac has gone to sleep/wake several times now today and I've been able to test it a lot. It seemed pretty stable but I did get a KP, which was after a wake, right when I was fiddling around with a widget on the dashboard. I took a photo of the log:

post-541676-1262910056_thumb.jpg

It's all pretty much abra-kadabra to me, but maybe it's worth something to somebody.

---------------

Another thing to mention (which is actually really weird) is that the motherboard started 'squealing' which means that it makes a very high pitch sound coming from the hardware itself. At first I thought I was going crazy, but I discovered that the sound actually fluctuates depending on the load of the CPU. I can hear it for example when I do heavy stuff like installing applications, but sometimes even when I drag windows/dock items. I've been reading into this and it seems that it's caused by changing voltage settings. So I suspect that the settings (from your start post F9m BIOS settings) caused this, since I didn't have this before your settings. Now, I have done some overclocking in my early years, but my experience isn't as good as then so I might as well just remove the whole OC/voltage changes. They discuss it here, but that's from the F3-BIOS-age. Anybody else has an idea?

---------------

About that overclock... I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing here. I've used d00d's F9m BIOS settings and have my i7 d0 running on 3,4 gHz. But during a geekbench (non-64-bit thought) I noticed a peak temperature of 97 degrees celcius (second run was 83)! Wow! Idle is 51 degrees celcius with about 30 degrees celcius inside my case, all using the stock cooler.

The geekbench score was 10020, which was lower than I expected, since I have gotten over 9000 at stock. I know this isn't the right topic (not even the right forum probably) but I just thought I'd mention it.

Ok, I will carry out those fixes soon. DSDTSE is a nice app, thank you for mentioning it. I did read your startpost, but in the beginning there was just too much techtalk coming at me that I misread it. I'll use it to do the changes of step 16 and 17.

---------------

I guess after that I can install the combo update?

---------------

Also worth mentioning is that I got a KP. The mac has gone to sleep/wake several times now today and I've been able to test it a lot. It seemed pretty stable but I did get a KP, which was after a wake, right when I was fiddling around with a widget on the dashboard. I took a photo of the log:

It's all pretty much abra-kadabra to me, but maybe it's worth something to somebody.

---------------

Another thing to mention (which is actually really weird) is that the motherboard started 'squealing' which means that it makes a very high pitch sound coming from the hardware itself. At first I thought I was going crazy, but I discovered that the sound actually fluctuates depending on the load of the CPU. I can hear it for example when I do heavy stuff like installing applications, but sometimes even when I drag windows/dock items. I've been reading into this and it seems that it's caused by changing voltage settings. So I suspect that the settings (from your start post F9m BIOS settings) caused this, since I didn't have this before your settings. Now, I have done some overclocking in my early years, but my experience isn't as good as then so I might as well just remove the whole OC/voltage changes. They discuss it here, but that's from the F3-BIOS-age. Anybody else has an idea?

Why do you have Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0 (10.6.0 and 1) in your KP if your signature shows 10.6.2, which would be Darwin Kernel Version 10.2.0?

My MB doesn't squeal thankfully, I've read that you can paint the components with nail polish to fix.

Update: Did your signature used to show 10.6.2?

For anything over a mild over clock you should use a bigger CPU cooler, I'd recommend the Noctua NH-D14, the CPU runs 10 C cooler under load than the NH-U12P SE2.

Are you using my automatic voltage 3.7 GHz BIOS settings for your 3.4 GHz?

You shouldn't have to specify higher voltages at that speed.

Why do you have Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0 (10.6.0 and 1) in your KP if your signature shows 10.6.2, which would be Darwin Kernel Version 10.2.0?

My MB doesn't squeal thankfully, I've read that you can paint the components with nail polish to fix.

Update: Did your signature used to show 10.6.2?

For anything over a mild over clock you should use a bigger CPU cooler, I'd recommend the Noctua NH-D14, the CPU runs 10 C cooler under load than the NH-U12P SE2.

Are you using my automatic voltage 3.7 GHz BIOS settings for your 3.4 GHz?

You shouldn't have to specify higher voltages at that speed.

You're right about my signature. I had 10.6.2 in my sig, because that was my 'old setup'. I'm gonna update to 10.6.2 tonight.

------------

Thanks for the tip on nailpolish, but as for now I think I'm just going to try and turn off the voltage settings.

------------

Ok, this one is going to make you laugh: I installed 10.6.2 and I sound was, uh, dead. So, at first I just though it was your 'fix' from your second post (delete BuiltInHDA). So I did that, but still no sound. Turned out that I had deleted only the <key>BuiltInHDA</key> and not the <dict>... So, redid the mkext with the complete key removed. Still no sound! I almost started pulling out hairs, I was quite frustrated. So, I thought: "Let's try the front audio port with a headphone." And yup! "Holy smokes, sound works!" Turns out I just had to flip the audio output in the Sound settings. Hehe, so easy!

But when I think of it, I should have thought of this earlier. Because my very first built had the exact same problem and also aschar1 himself notes that the fix doesn't have automatic switch to headphones.

But I do have an audio related question! I'm using 2.1 speakers now, but what if I want to use an advanced (5.1 DTS whatever, you name is) system. Does that work with this? (1)

------------

Also I would like to point out the fact that sometimes I can't use my keyboard at boot (so I can't do anything at BIOS and not anything at Chameleon either). There were even times that it wasn't possible 10+ boots in a row. What's wrong? (2)

Edit: it seems to be fairly gone now. Didn't have it anymore. Didn't know what fixed it either but it's weird :thumbsup_anim: .

------------

With the terminal I did:

Mac-Pro:kext me$  uname -p
i386

But I booted with the arch=x86_64 flag in my /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist

Profiler says: " 64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes"

Am I running 64-bit or not? Is this something to worry about? (3)

------------

It seems that sleep is still causing trouble, a while ago I got a KP after sleep and last night the system didn't want to go into sleep. Instead, the displays just turned off and the fans spun up. If this is going to be happening more often, I will have to check what's wrong.

Is there something that logs when it sleeps/wakes? How do I know what's going wrong? (4)

d00d - I have everything working including steps 16 and 17 - 2 quick questions though

1. The only issue with sleep I am having is when the system sleeps from Energy Saver (ex: set sleep to one minute) the machine sleeps but the fans stay on - probably missing something stupid - Sleep works fine from power button and apple menu - fans turn off

2. Is the 889a kext actually needed in extra? I have followed B in your guide and mine works with no extra kext - the only kexts I have in Extra or FakeSMC and the orange icon fix

thank you VERY much for all of your help!

d00d - I have everything working including steps 16 and 17 - 2 quick questions though

1. The only issue with sleep I am having is when the system sleeps from Energy Saver (ex: set sleep to one minute) the machine sleeps but the fans stay on - probably missing something stupid - Sleep works fine from power button and apple menu - fans turn off

2. Is the 889a kext actually needed in extra? I have followed B in your guide and mine works with no extra kext - the only kexts I have in Extra or FakeSMC and the orange icon fix

thank you VERY much for all of your help!

1. Maybe I'm being too obvious, but I've learned that a lot of things are often obvious. Have you done step 15?

15. If idle sleep doesn't work, add the PenntNeu-script RIP.app in Accounts:user:Login Items.

To make this work I had to change main.scpt, although this has worked for others unmodified.

2. The ALC889a.kext is just a plist. But if it's all working, then why bother putting it in! Have you done the 10.6.2 update? Because that might burst your bubble for audio.

1. Maybe I'm being too obvious, but I've learned that a lot of things are often obvious. Have you done step 15?

2. The ALC889a.kext is just a plist. But if it's all working, then why bother putting it in! Have you done the 10.6.2 update? Because that might burst your bubble for audio.

- I did put the script in the startup items - However it didn't work - I am going to try the mod that d00d did tomorrow

I am 10.6.2 with sound (analog and digital) - I did end up putting the ALC889a kext in - It stopped most of the sound assertion errors

the only errors in my kernal log are now :

Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-158.4.39/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp

and

/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-157.1.24/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp

I still get "FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)"

As well if I use the "boot" file included in the reboot fix I end up with:

"kernel IOHIDSystem::relativePointerEventGated: VBL too high (20216711), capping to 20000000"

If I replace the boot file with RC4 I no longer get the error - However then the reboot doesn't work (Im not using a kext)

Anyone have and ideas on any of these?

- I did put the script in the startup items - However it didn't work - I am going to try the mod that d00d did tomorrow

I am 10.6.2 with sound (analog and digital) - I did end up putting the ALC889a kext in - It stopped most of the sound assertion errors

the only errors in my kernal log are now :

Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-158.4.39/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp

and

/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-157.1.24/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp

I still get "FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)"

As well if I use the "boot" file included in the reboot fix I end up with:

"kernel IOHIDSystem::relativePointerEventGated: VBL too high (20216711), capping to 20000000"

If I replace the boot file with RC4 I no longer get the error - However then the reboot doesn't work (Im not using a kext)

Anyone have and ideas on any of these?

- I also have both sound assertion errors in boot log, I don't think it's a big problem.

- I have the Firewire error as well, but firewire seems to be working fine.

- I have the relativePointerEventGated error too

So as you can see, I have all of them too! I wonder what will solve them, although my build seems to be working fine.

Added to post 1;

DSDT.aml and dsdt.dsl for i7 920 and Xeon W3520, derived from GA-EX58-UD5 and BIOS F9m, with fixes (added 16 and 17) and audio option B: DSDT_GA-EX58-UD5_F9m_S3_920_W3520_v2.zip

DSDT.aml and dsdt.dsl for i7 950 and Xeon W3550, derived from GA-EX58-UD5 and BIOS F9m, with fixes (added 16 and 17) and audio option B: DSDT_GA-EX58-UD5_F9m_S3_950_W3550_v2.zip

DSDT.aml and dsdt.dsl for i7 975 and Xeon W3580, derived from GA-EX58-UD5 and BIOS F9m, with fixes (added 16 and 17) and audio option B: DSDT_GA-EX58-UD5_F9m_S3_975_W3580_v2.zip

Warning: Using the modified MacPro4_1.plist, then applying an Apple Software Update like Bonjour Update 2010-001, can break things so that you have no mouse or keyboard control at the login GUI.

Move the original IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext back into place before you restart your machine, this will cause the OS to update it's extensions cache, and any helper partition ones as well.

If you are reading this from another computer because you have locked yourself out, assuming you have enabled Remote Login, ssh in and do the above.