GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications

d00d

1,771 posts in this topic

Added to post 1;

18. (added 20100121) Thanks to Mackenstein who alerted me to a problem with some applications such as Korg that need en0 to be recognized as IOBuiltin=Yes.

Using EthernetBuiltIn=Yes in com.apple.Boot.plist doesn't seem to work on GA-EX58, even with PciRoot=1.

This fix also eliminates the need for using PlatformUUID.kext to stop the `unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35' errors from continuing after boot, for those still using C2RC3.

Add the following within `Device (PEX4)'.

Device (LAN0)
               {
                  Name (_ADR, 0x00)
                  Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
                  {
                      0x0B,
                      0x04
                  })
                  Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                  {
                      Store (Package (0x04)
                      {
                          "built-in",
                          Buffer (0x01)
                          {
                              0x01
                          },
                          "device_type",
                          Buffer (0x09)
                          {
                              "ethernet"
                          }

}, Local0)
                  DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                  Return (Local0)
                  }
               }

@ LOC: here is the results:

nicolas-pc:~ Nicolas$ ls -l /usr/sbin/mDNSResponder

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 1356240 16 oct 15:09 /usr/sbin/mDNSResponder

nicolas-pc:~ Nicolas$ ls -l /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 897 25 jul 07:34 /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

nicolas-pc:~ Nicolas$

Added to post 1;

18. (added 20100121) Thanks to Mackenstein who alerted me to a problem with some applications such as Korg that need en0 to be recognized as IOBuiltin=Yes.

Using EthernetBuiltIn=Yes in com.apple.Boot.plist doesn't seem to work on GA-EX58, even with PciRoot=1.

This fix also eliminates the need for using PlatformUUID.kext to stop the `unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35' errors from continuing after boot, for those still using C2RC3.

Add the following within `Device (PEX4)'.

Device (LAN0)
               {
                  Name (_ADR, 0x00)
                  Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
                  {
                      0x0B,
                      0x04
                  })
                  Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                  {
                      Store (Package (0x04)
                      {
                          "built-in",
                          Buffer (0x01)
                          {
                              0x01
                          },
                          "device_type",
                          Buffer (0x09)
                          {
                              "ethernet"
                          }

}, Local0)
                  DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                  Return (Local0)
                  }
               }

I've never noticed that it wasn't being registered as built-in properly

I have a real apple card instead of the onboard.

I previously had the onboard, and was running with two similar edits to my DSDT but I was spoofing the name as well

(one for each port en0 & en1) which worked

However with the pci-express I wasn't sure what to do so I took out the Lan section and left BuiltIn=Y in boot.plist

My current IoReg shows en0 as built-in=0 and built-in=1 for en1 !!

So kind of half works. Do real MacPro's have Lan on logic board or via PCI-Express card?

I've never noticed that it wasn't being registered as built-in properly

I have a real apple card instead of the onboard.

I previously had the onboard, and was running with two similar edits to my DSDT but I was spoofing the name as well

(one for each port en0 & en1) which worked

However with the pci-express I wasn't sure what to do so I took out the Lan section and left BuiltIn=Y in boot.plist

My current IoReg shows en0 as built-in=0 and built-in=1 for en1 !!

So kind of half works. Do real MacPro's have Lan on logic board or via PCI-Express card?

The Apple hardware MacPro1,1 network interfaces are not add on cards, and I assume the MacPro4,1 is similar.

I don't think it's a positional issue, but more of native support for the IOBuiltin flag within the kext that's being used.

Here's what I found;

Realtek's v2.0.3 AppleRTL8169Ethernet (L only):

media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>) status: active

Psystar's v2.0.9 RealTekR1000.kext (Bonjour doesn't work, shows IOBuiltin=True in IORegistryExplorer):

media: autoselect (<unknown type>) status: active

Bit Shoveler's v2.0.0d1 RealtekR1000SL.kext (Bonjour works, shows IOBuiltin=False in IORegistryExplorer):

en0 autoselect (no speed or duplex shown);

media: autoselect status: active

en0 manually set to 100/full (shouldn't show unknown type, and won't go active);

media: 100baseTX <full-duplex> (<unknown type>) status: inactive

I have IOBuiltin=True in IORegistryExplorer without #18 DSDT mod. I wonder why is that? The only difference is that I put the Bit Shoveler's v2.0.0d1 RealtekR1000SL.kext in /S/L/E only, not in /S/L/E/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/.

By the way thanks for you great work d00d :) I have a perfectly working hackintosh.

I have IOBuiltin=True in IORegistryExplorer without #18 DSDT mod. I wonder why is that? The only difference is that I put the Bit Shoveler's v2.0.0d1 RealtekR1000SL.kext in /S/L/E only, not in /S/L/E/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/.

By the way thanks for you great work d00d ;) I have a perfectly working hackintosh.

You're welcome.

I added EthernetBuiltIn=yes to com.apple.Boot.plist and it worked.

I'm using C2RC4, perhaps it didn't work for Mackenstein because he's using PC EFI 10.3.

Post 1 updated;

There are two ways to fix this, the second also eliminates the need for using PlatformUUID.kext to stop the `unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35' errors from continuing after boot, for those still using C2RC3.

C2RC4 doesn't require PlatformUUID.kext.

Add the following in com.apple.Boot.plist for C2RC4;

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>yes</string>

If that doesn't work, add the following within `Device (PEX4)'.

I followed your guide to the letter, but for some reason VMFusion now runs SLOW as hell.

I've done a lot of searching and found no link, other than some forum members stating that on their motherboards... different then ours, it was an issue with the DSDT file.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Thanks a million

I have RealtekR1000SL.kext in /S/L/E

Bonjour works OTB for you?

Bonjour worked OTB when I used RealtekR1000SL.kext in /S/L/E

From the log you posted earlier I'm guessing that the reason the socket bind for mDNSResponder fails is that

some other process is hogging the port (5353 in the case of bonjour)

Could you type lsof -i:5353 (notice the : see attached pic)

You will have to do this as root or put sudo before the lsof command

This will give you the id of the process bound to port 5353

Take the number shown under PID and type ps -ef | grep mypid where mypid is the number you just found

In the example I show PID=25 so I typed ps -ef | grep 25

your value for PID may be different

post-383752-1264115234_thumb.png

I followed your guide to the letter, but for some reason VMFusion now runs SLOW as hell.

I've done a lot of searching and found no link, other than some forum members stating that on their motherboards... different then ours, it was an issue with the DSDT file.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Thanks a million

See post 88 for a slowness problem I had with VMware Fusion 2.0.6.196839 when clocked over 4.2 GHz.

Hey LOC, here's my logs:

See the attached file please PID: 28

Thanks for your help :)

Thanks

Most peculiar, PID 28 is mDNSResponder so it is binding to the correct port

Not sure what to try next, I'll have to have a think

Thanks

Most peculiar, PID 28 is mDNSResponder so it is binding to the correct port

Not sure what to try next, I'll have to have a think

One quick check

go to system prefs and sharing

can you check you have a computer name set - if not set one and reboot

You try ticking a few check boxes - they enable various bonjour services

post-383752-1264122010_thumb.png

@ LOC

I tried your tips, so my computer was already named as Mac Pro de Nicolas.

I checked, CD and DVD sharing (first line) green point OK, reboot and after arrived on the desktop, no more internet connection, despite the green light (LAN) was there on the back panel.

It sounds weird :/

@ LOC

I tried your tips, so my computer was already named as Mac Pro de Nicolas.

I checked, CD and DVD sharing (first line) green point OK, reboot and after arrived on the desktop, no more internet connection, despite the green light (LAN) was there on the back panel.

It sounds weird :/

Could you try renaming it? Sounds like your name has spaces in it

see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3056

Characters you may use in a Bonjour name

You may use:

upper or lower case letters

numbers

hyphens

The ".local" name extension is automatically appended to the Bonjour name you choose. If you selected "bbms" as your Bonjour name and enabled Personal Web Sharing, then other local computers would be able to view your shared Web pages by entering "bbms.local" in a Web browser's URL field.

Could you try renaming it? Sounds like your name has spaces in it

see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3056

Characters you may use in a Bonjour name

You may use:

upper or lower case letters

numbers

hyphens

The ".local" name extension is automatically appended to the Bonjour name you choose. If you selected "bbms" as your Bonjour name and enabled Personal Web Sharing, then other local computers would be able to view your shared Web pages by entering "bbms.local" in a Web browser's URL field.

You may want to play around with your router settings to fix your internet. I had a similar problem when I installed

windows. My windows generated a windows default name which seemed to confuse the router config and renamed

my SL install name as shown by the command hostname

Sometimes the board needs a CMOS reset to restore a network port.

Shut the machine down, turn off the power supply, press and hold the CMOS button until the light goes out.

Start the machine, press the tab key at the logo screen, then the delete key at the post screen, then in the main menu press the F12 key to select your saved BIOS settings.

Sometimes the board needs a CMOS reset to restore a network port.

Shut the machine down, turn off the power supply, press and hold the CMOS button until the light goes out.

Start the machine, press the tab key at the logo screen, then the delete key at the post screen, then in the main menu press the F12 key to select your saved BIOS settings.

Yes that's another thing that can happen :blush:

See post 88 for a slowness problem I had with VMware Fusion 2.0.6.196839 when clocked over 4.2 GHz.

I wish I could say over clocking is the issue, but it's not, I'm still running stock. I did a repair of the disk permissions, seem to have helped, but still slower than it was.

I've hear 3.0 has slowness issue going to update to 3.0.1 see if they get fixed. Maybe it was just a permissions thing.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I wish I could say over clocking is the issue, but it's not, I'm still running stock. I did a repair of the disk permissions, seem to have helped, but still slower than it was.

I've hear 3.0 has slowness issue going to update to 3.0.1 see if they get fixed. Maybe it was just a permissions thing.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I just remembered that I also had a slowness problem with VMware Fusion 3.0.1.215242.

It occasionally occurs when a MS OS image is restarted, but doesn't happen if it's shut down, powered off, and started.

Thanks guys

LOC, i will try you tips this week end, this is confusing because my computer's name has been set automatically.

d00d, i made a lot of CMOS during my O/C settings, i feel desperate lol :(

Hope all this leads will conduct me to resolve this annoying problem.

Thanks guys

LOC, i will try you tips this week end, this is confusing because my computer's name has been set automatically.

The point is that it is better to set it yourself, and you should set in accordance with the bonjour naming rules

Post 1 updated;

18. (added 20100121) Network port IOBuiltin=Yes options A, B or C.

Thanks to Mackenstein who alerted me to a problem with some applications such as Korg that need en0 to be recognized as IOBuiltin=Yes.

There are three ways to fix this, the second and third also eliminate the need for using PlatformUUID.kext to stop the `unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35' errors from continuing after boot, for those still using C2RC3.

C2RC4 doesn't require PlatformUUID.kext.

A. Add the following in com.apple.Boot.plist for C2RC4;

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>yes</string>

or

B. Thanks to Rudy Pedraza, modify Bit Shoveler's RealtekR1000SL.cpp source file and compile.

original:

if (pciDev != NULL)
   {
       pciDev->close(this);
   }

modified:

if (pciDev != NULL)
   {
       pciDev->setProperty("built-in",1);
       pciDev->close(this);
   }

or

C. Add the following within `Device (PEX4)'.