CPU temperature in iStat

oldnapalm

208 posts in this topic

OldNapalm - had another go at your suggestion, yes was only giving me 70-90% cpu usage so I ran geekbench at the same time for 100% load (doesn't help the rating) - and lo and behold the temps in voodoomonitor and istates do change - up to 45c for a moment on one core.

Like you said the temps drop after a few moments in istat menus but the readings in vm (which matched) drop instantly - makes me very suspect that these readings are to be trusted at all on this computer.

EDIT: alright been lookingf into it, just cos its about all there is left to look into on this computer now, turns out that realtemp (used this with Prime95 test), speedfan and some other prog on windows all give the same sort of readings, 38c unless really stressed, maxing 45 and dropping really quick when load removed (drop gradually if load reduced gradually, P95 test). Asus probe is the only one with different results, diff reading CPU not each core, but this is 6-8c lower and drops slower. So I still don't quite trust the reading but they obviously are what CPU reports, so thanks Oldnapalm, good work.

turns out that realtemp (used this with Prime95 test), speedfan and some other prog on windows all give the same sort of readings, 38c unless really stressed, maxing 45 and dropping really quick when load removed (drop gradually if load reduced gradually, P95 test). Asus probe is the only one with different results, diff reading CPU not each core, but this is 6-8c lower and drops slower.

Did you try Mark-i? You should have the same result as with Asus probe, it gets the temperature from a sensor on the mobo, not from the CPU itself.

Did you try Mark-i? You should have the same result as with Asus probe, it gets the temperature from a sensor on the mobo, not from the CPU itself.

No didn't try it, maybe next time I'm in windows I will as that reading seems a bit more believable.. just don't believe that cores always at 38 never lower hardly ever higher.. but it seems the cores reading would work to let you know if they're getting way too hot so not really important, I'm not fussed about knowing exactly what temps so long as its safe.

Read somewhere that its possible to get this mobo (and other) sensor reading out of DSDT, might be a nice project but beyond me for now and presumably vendor or chip specific so wouldn't help too many people..

Thanks again

Get that be also an way to read out GPU temp diode ?

Has anyone access to his GPU temp (even without that fakesmc)

I had in the past GPU temp shown of my old NV 6600GT (Hardwaremonitor) running 10.4.11, but never got that back since 10.5.x (lost of dsdt changes , new OS X version,...)

• 2 weeks later...
Who gave you this code snippet:
#define bit(n)		  (1UL << (n))
 #define bitmask(h,l)	((bit(h) | (bit(h) - 1)) & ~(bit(l) - 1))
 #define bitfield(x,h,l) (((x) & bitmask(h, l)) >> l)

Now look at this. Credits? I mean knowing you... you may want to correct this :D

...which in turn is lifted from osfmk/i386/cpuid.c in the OSX kernel source. With an OS that fails to make a good SDK to access the cpu state, it's understandable that you have to do a little cut&paste since there isn't a proper library to reference. No person to credit here since it's from the OS. I'd still reference Apple's OSF copyright if I was the one cutting&pasting. Amit should have done that instead of just writing "Reuses code from the Mac OS X kernel" I think.

Voodoohda, voodoobattery, are guilty of lifting a bunch of code from OSX as well without reference. If everyone provided references the code wouldn't seem like voodoo, huh? Seriously, it would be nice if people sighted the apple code they cribbed from, it'd make the code more maintainable. (People would know where you found out how to do things).

...which in turn is lifted from osfmk/i386/cpuid.c in the OSX kernel source.

It should have been clear that I used the link as a reference to the original source code because it reads: "Reuses code from the Mac OS X kernel." and since I know that oldnapalm is clever enough to Google for it. He checked it – after my little note. Most definitely.

With an OS that fails to make a good SDK to access the cpu state, it's understandable that you have to do a little cut&paste since there isn't a proper library to reference. No person to credit here since it's from the OS. I'd still reference Apple's OSF copyright if I was the one cutting&pasting. Amit should have done that instead of just writing "Reuses code from the Mac OS X kernel" I think.

He should have used the Apple Software License Header yes. Why else do they have a license?

Voodoohda, voodoobattery, are guilty of lifting a bunch of code from OSX as well without reference. If everyone provided references the code wouldn't seem like voodoo, huh? Seriously, it would be nice if people sighted the apple code they cribbed from, it'd make the code more maintainable. (People would know where you found out how to do things).

I couldn't agree more. Making it a perfect target for "learning by example".

And oldnapalm knows me, that I wasn't blaming him for the error, but merely pointing him into the right direction :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Guys so I just have to replace the fakesmc.kext? I did that and my temperature is stuck at 66 degrees celcius. Im beggining to worry because this is not a gd sign.

Im running E6300 @ 3.0ghz on 965P DS3 rev 1.0

Im using a coolermaster hyper 212 plus heatsink.

Temperatures on Temperature monitor is usually 40-50. In istats it shows 66 there all the way.

Did I do anything wrong or is this the actual reading coz as of now Im running under aircon too! O.O

Guys so I just have to replace the fakesmc.kext? I did that and my temperature is stuck at 66 degrees celcius. Im beggining to worry because this is not a gd sign.

Im running E6300 @ 3.0ghz on 965P DS3 rev 1.0

Im using a coolermaster hyper 212 plus heatsink.

Temperatures on Temperature monitor is usually 40-50. In istats it shows 66 there all the way.

Did I do anything wrong or is this the actual reading coz as of now Im running under aircon too! O.O

This patch was added to the latest version of FakeSMC, so if you use it you don't need to replace it with this kext.

http://netkas.org/?cat=15

Did you set the Tjmax value in Info.plist? (It's the "specified upper limit" in Temperature Monitor).

About temp being stuck, please read some recent posts about it

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1341033

• 2 weeks later...

I just put together a build. Snow Leopard, I installed the istat menus. On CPU temp I was getting 138 degrees on all 4 cores. Is this possibly a wrong reading or am i ready to burn out my new cpu or worse.

Any hep appreciated.

is it possible to use it in any way with a pentium d 920 processor?

Sorry, I don't have one to test, but AFAIK it only works with Core 2 Duo or later.

I just put together a build. Snow Leopard, I installed the istat menus. On CPU temp I was getting 138 degrees on all 4 cores. Is this possibly a wrong reading or am i ready to burn out my new cpu or worse.

Any hep appreciated.

138 degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit? You should also set the correct Tjmax for your CPU.

It's not working in my SL, still not showing CPU option only HD.

Do I need to edit something or just install the updated FakeSMC.kext ?

If you are using iStat Menus you also need to install the sensors module. In the first time you run iStat it asks if you want to install the module. You can try to remove and reinstall iStat.

Sorry, I don't have one to test, but AFAIK it only works with Core 2 Duo or later.

138 degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit? You should also set the correct Tjmax for your CPU.

I don't know where or how to set Tjmax for my cpu. I have been searching, its not that I'm being lazy. I think the problem with my setup is that in the extra folder I have one file called Extensions.mkext. I am guessing that the different kext files are in there but I have no idea how to get into it or how to replace it with the latest fakesmc, which is what I am told to try to see if I get accurate readings on my CPU temps.

the latest readings I get are 63 Celcius going up to 73 Celcius on load.

I don't know where or how to set Tjmax for my cpu. I have been searching, its not that I'm being lazy. I think the problem with my setup is that in the extra folder I have one file called Extensions.mkext. I am guessing that the different kext files are in there but I have no idea how to get into it or how to replace it with the latest fakesmc, which is what I am told to try to see if I get accurate readings on my CPU temps.

the latest readings I get are 63 Celcius going up to 73 Celcius on load.

You have to open the file Info.plist inside fakesmc.kext (mine is /Extra/Extensions/fakesmc.kext/Contents/Info.plist) and edit the value of tjmax key. You can use a text editor or the 'Property List Editor'.

<key>tjmax</key>
					<integer>100</integer>

You may need to rebuild the Extensions.mkext file. I don't use cache in the Extra folder because there are only 4 kexts and none of them needs to be in mkext.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have a final official TJMax for Intel i7 920? I've seen everything from 85°C to 105°C.

I was going to ask the same question, I set mine to 80 and the temps seem a bit more realistic (40ºC), but they're not accurate :\

• 2 weeks later...

Recently changed CPU to a Q9550 from an E6300 (EP45-UD3LR M/:(

After two late nights of struggling with bad temps in 10.6.2 my solution was:

Nullcpupowermanagement kext

Sleepenabler kext

fakesmc infoplist tjmax set at 100

All perfect now, temps match in BIOS, Hardware Monitor, iStat and Coretemp+ Realtemp in windows.

Before this all four cores would idle at 47°c once warmed up, not good considering my cooling setup is pretty good.

Hello all, very new to OSX at all so please bear with me :wacko: This is just the thread I was looking for. I have installed osx86 from the 10.6.1-10.6.2 hazard disc, with not much problem really. Took a few shots to get the right kext, but everything appears to be working.

I have the E6400 which has a TJ max of 85C unlike most of the 100C chips here. Voodoomonitor (hardware monitor 4.85 gives error on start, will test previous) reads my chip still at 100C. I can manually set the TJ max in my fakesmc.kext info.plist to 85, which seems to show the same temps I get in windows. (check pics please) Is changing the fakesmc value to 85 just cosmetic or is it really changing the OS settings to read it at 85. When I manually set voodoomonitor CPU-I max override to 85C and get the same readings as istat.

I have voodoopstatev4 and voodooo monitor installed, and my correct states are shown for this proc (3 states 1.6-2.13ghz) nothing seems hot at all, my fans run the same as in windows.

When the TJ max on the fakesmc was set to 100, it was reading 55C temps in istat, but after change to 85C for TJ max is appears to read 36-39 which is what I get in windows like stated. You can see the default TJ max for voodoo monitor is also 100. Is that cosemtic? Very sorry for the long post but im new to this.

Core 2 duo E6400

MSI P6N SLI Platinum MS-7350

4GB DDR800

ASUS 9800GT 512MB

ALC888 HD

Thanks guys, Ive been reading the forums for about 5 days now since I decided to install this again.

EDIT> I wanted to say that even if I still open up voodoomonitor, it still reads 100C for TJMAX, is that just the programs default or is that still saying that i'm still at 100C TJ MAX?

@Jbolted - Same here man hah ive been trying to figure out how to change my CPU TJ max for the OS because mine is different at 85C not 100C like most it appears. OSX is a lot of fun, I like opensuse as well.

post-575095-1267059464_thumb.jpg

post-575095-1267059469_thumb.png

post-575095-1267059475_thumb.png

post-575095-1267059486_thumb.png

post-575095-1267059582_thumb.png

When the TJ max on the fakesmc was set to 100, it was reading 55C temps in istat, but after change to 85C for TJ max is appears to read 36-39 which is what I get in windows like stated. You can see the default TJ max for voodoo monitor is also 100. Is that cosemtic?

Yes, it's cosmetic. Actually the value read from CPU is the distance to Tjmax, and FakeSMC outputs Tjmax minus that value, so temp will only be correct if you set correct Tjmax.

I wanted to say that even if I still open up voodoomonitor, it still reads 100C for TJMAX, is that just the programs default or is that still saying that i'm still at 100C TJ MAX?

You can configure Tjmax in VoodooMonitor preferences.

Oh ok, I kinda figured that about the fakesmc that it was purely cosmetic on that aspect. Thank you very much sir. There is no actual way to edit and change the TJ MAX of the OS? This seems to be my only problem.

Like stated I changed the voodoomonitor CPU-I TJMAX override to 85C, but When I start up p-change changer while voodoomonitor is open I guess its still on 100 TJ MAX because that still says 50C-55C. So im guessing the voodoomonitor override either doesn't work or is showing false values

I have not setup speed stepped at all in the DSDT vanilla speed, but when im guessing the voodoopstatev4 did something because im using dual display video right now and a couple other programs and im watching the voodoomonitor ONLY while pstatechanger is one the states changes from 6.0 (1.59ghz) - 8.0 (2.13ghz) under load. I was just want to change the OS TJ MAX to the correct 85C so it lowers the temp. OSX86 CPU TJ MAX seems to be 100C or am I missing something? Sorry for my ignorance im very new!

post-575095-1267071382_thumb.png

post-575095-1267072807_thumb.png