CPU temperature in iStat

oldnapalm

208 posts in this topic

Im kinda lost here, with voodoopstate, fakesmc and rest of the kexts vanilla, i believe im getting more accurate temps than on Windows 7 (actually i really believe that Windows 7 bloats quite a bit my temps), but what really bothers me is, when i open a game, the temp goes up to 80, which is normal on Windows, but suddenly, it drops to 62 and stays there, not going up...

So its about 62 vs 83 on a T5450 (OSX vs Win temps), which i believe is a huge difference, hope someone can give me a hint on where to start at, :unsure:.

Current Setup:

T5450

3GB DDR2

965 Chipset

(M1530 Laptop)

sorry for my english. ..

--

My motheboard Gigabite p55-ud4

Processor: Core i5 750

System ([url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]-Supported + retail snow leopard 10.6.3 + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]) - All my hardware work is fine, but

I'm worried about the CPU Temperature in iStat Menus 3.01

Core A = 52

Core B = 48

Core C = 52

Core D = 49

This temperature are normal?

And if not - how to down it ?

Please answer!

--

Thank you!

-------------

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.67 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Bus Speed: 533 MHz

Boot ROM Version: IM111.0034.B00

SMC Version (system): 1.30f3

post-335332-1275565060_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...
Im kinda lost here, with voodoopstate, fakesmc and rest of the kexts vanilla, i believe im getting more accurate temps than on Windows 7 (actually i really believe that Windows 7 bloats quite a bit my temps), but what really bothers me is, when i open a game, the temp goes up to 80, which is normal on Windows, but suddenly, it drops to 62 and stays there, not going up...

So its about 62 vs 83 on a T5450 (OSX vs Win temps), which i believe is a huge difference, hope someone can give me a hint on where to start at, :(.

Are you using the app PStateChanger with voodoopstate?

AFAIK SpeedStep only works with voodoopstate when the app is running, then if it's not, CPU may be always in the lower P-state, which could explain the lower temp.

My motheboard Gigabite p55-ud4

Processor: Core i5 750

System ([url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]-Supported + retail snow leopard 10.6.3 + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]) - All my hardware work is fine, but

I'm worried about the CPU Temperature in iStat Menus 3.01

Core A = 52

Core B = 48

Core C = 52

Core D = 49

This temperature are normal?

Sorry, I can't tell for sure, but for my Q6600 with stock cooler it's normal temps around 50º C in the summer.

Use VoodooMonitor to check if SpeedStep is working, if it is, temps should be ok.

Did you check the correct Tjmax value for your CPU?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone gotten this kind of kernel panic from using fakeSMC 2.5 with istat?

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x226820): "thread_invoke: preemption_level -1, possible cause: unlocking an unlocked mutex or spinlock

See here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-oper...nic-report.html

I believe it is caused by FakeSMC when used with BRESINK temp monitor. I got it a few times. I am trying istat now to see if the panic goes away. I believe the panic is caused by the way the temp is pulled and when it does not respond it crashes or something like that.

Curious if anyone else has seen this or not..

• 2 weeks later...

Oldnapalm I too got KP with the file in post #51. Are you still updating this project?

I will truly like to get my CPU temp readings, running, SL 10.6.4; Dual Core AMD; and the latest version of iStat.

Thanks

My latest release is in post #1. I'm no longer updating this, since netkas added the patch to FakeSMC 2.5, as stated in the first post. It only works with Intel Core CPUs.

Further development is being made in this topic (fans, voltage, mobo sensors, GPU, etc.)

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1206

First off, this is some great work! I love having all the extra info. Here's my problem though. I use a Q9450, which has a TJmax of 85. The TJmax setting was moved from the FakeSMC plist. I _think_ I found the new location (inside the plugins folder, in FakeSMCIntelThermal.kext) However, when I modified this plist and rebooted, I still see the same high temps.

Here's a screenshot with VoodooMonitor using the Tjmax override option in the preferences (I know it says CPU-i Preferences, it's still VoodooMonitor though). Anyway, is it possible that the Tjmax value is not being read properly yet? I'm guessing it's just not included in this version since the default value was 0.

http://cl.ly/b67c214cd71a3ee22d11

If it's just a work in progress, no worries! I'd really like to see the ability to fix this though, seeing 61C in my menu bar is a little unsettling. I can deal with it for now though, just wanted to confirm I'm not missing something.

I'd like to post this over at projectosx, but for some reason it's saying I don't have permission to reply to that topic...

Edit: Hey! I just noticed we've both been around here since '05 How's it going old timer?

First off, this is some great work! I love having all the extra info. Here's my problem though. I use a Q9450, which has a TJmax of 85. The TJmax setting was moved from the FakeSMC plist. I _think_ I found the new location (inside the plugins folder, in FakeSMCIntelThermal.kext) However, when I modified this plist and rebooted, I still see the same high temps.

Here's a screenshot with VoodooMonitor using the Tjmax override option in the preferences (I know it says CPU-i Preferences, it's still VoodooMonitor though). Anyway, is it possible that the Tjmax value is not being read properly yet? I'm guessing it's just not included in this version since the default value was 0.

http://cl.ly/b67c214cd71a3ee22d11

If it's just a work in progress, no worries! I'd really like to see the ability to fix this though, seeing 61C in my menu bar is a little unsettling. I can deal with it for now though, just wanted to confirm I'm not missing something.

I'd like to post this over at projectosx, but for some reason it's saying I don't have permission to reply to that topic...

Edit: Hey! I just noticed we've both been around here since '05 How's it going old timer?

Where you find that 85 C ? Should be 100 C.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/intel-dts-sp...news-29460.html

Where you find that 85 C ? Should be 100 C.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/intel-dts-sp...news-29460.html

Erm... Looking at those charts, I don't know if the Q8000 and Q9000 series blanket applies to my chip. (it's a 45nm quad core core2 based chip) and has been discontinued (possibly before the release of those charts). I can tell you that I'm not at 67C when idle. I have a good heatsink and I'm certain it's seated properly. Under the 45nm Xeon quad cores, you'll see that the X54xx series is listed as 85C. The xeon equivalent of the Q9450 is the E5430, so my 85C Tjmax makes a lot of sense I think.

Here's a screen of everything working - while my system is under load (doing a Handbreak encode) http://cl.ly/8e88afc78358d3cb1b2d

The heatsink (tjunction) is reported as 58C (This seems accurate and believable for a full load with my cooling equipment) But those per core temps.... I'd think I would have some stability issues. But here I am, typing away with no problems at all while the encode continues.

Anyhow, does it really matter? I set 85 and there was no difference in reported temps. I'd just like to know how to change my Tjmax setting with this set of kexts, what I attempted doesn't seem to work.

Erm... Looking at those charts, I don't know if the Q8000 and Q9000 series blanket applies to my chip. (it's a 45nm quad core core2 based chip) and has been discontinued (possibly before the release of those charts). I can tell you that I'm not at 67C when idle. I have a good heatsink and I'm certain it's seated properly. Under the 45nm Xeon quad cores, you'll see that the X54xx series is listed as 85C. The xeon equivalent of the Q9450 is the E5430, so my 85C Tjmax makes a lot of sense I think.

Anyhow, does it really matter? I set 85 and there was no difference in reported temps. I'd just like to know how to change my Tjmax setting with this set of kexts, what I attempted doesn't seem to work.

I am just wondering why that iStat picture shows your Vcore as 1.32 V, that seems like a really high voltage for running at stock speed. With that kind of voltage I can raise FSB of my Q9550 from 333 MHz to 470. Maybe you have a chip with really high VID, worst I ever saw was 1.295 but even that would show Vcore as something like 1.26 after vdrop. If you really are using so high Vcore then temps might be a bit high, maybe you could check temps on Windows running Everest or CoreTemp.

edit.

Just saw your edit and if understood correctly that 1.32 V is under load ? If so then that's really high, I'm currently running my cpu at 4.25 GHz and on load my Vcore voltage is only 1.31 V.

Idle:

post-375259-1279997382_thumb.png

On load, running Prime95 small FFT's:

post-375259-1279997395_thumb.png

I'm actually overclocked (but not as much as my sig shows - I added more RAM - filled the slots, and we all know what that does to core2 quads).

Anyhow, I just clocked back down to stock settings with 1.13vcore and I now have a delta between my heatsink and cores of 20C (reporting 57C for 3/4 cores and 37C for cpu at idle). It's clear that the Tjmax is 10 or 15C lower, and I'm just trying to find out how to change it in the kext. Even if I'm wrong, couldn't someone else want to do this?

Also, I had the vdroop fix enabled in bios when I took that screenshot.

I'm quite familiar with core2 architecture and I am totally comfortable with the voltages I use for overclocking. You're right though, that sure would be a lot to run at stock speeds.

Not to get off topic, but what CPU are you running? I'd love to hit 4Ghz stable on this chip, but it's just not going to happen. 3.92 was great though (while I was water cooled). Nowdays, I'm totally happy with 3.6, it's more than enough for the work I do. And the extra 400Mhz per core doesn't make a huge difference in encoding or virtualization.

For anyone just joining this thread, oldnapalm posted earlier that you should head over to http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&x...8081%26st%3D160 for new updates on this project.

I'm running an E0 revision Q9550 which seems to overclock really easy with low voltages. Not many chips can hit almost 4.6 GHz at just 1.45 V like this one : http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1307549

I did try to to change TjMax value on my E7400 system and it worked. Edited IntelThermal plugin info.plist TjMax value to 90, saved and ran KextUtility. Rebooted and and core temps had gone down to 32 C (this cpu has stuck sensors, nothing below 42 C is shown with correct TjMax value).

• 5 weeks later...
for a lot of you who are wondering about low cpu temps, iStat is showing the cpu diode temp or the "around-cpu" temperature, not the cpu core temp which is about 10° more.

Are you sure? I thought CPU core temp and diode temp were the same thing.

I believe the low temps are because of wrong tjmax calculation by FakeSMCIntelThermal plugin. You can override the calculated value by changing the TJMax key which is 0 by default.

<key>TJMax</key>
					<integer>0</integer>

/System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/PlugIns/FakeSMCIntelThermal.kext/Contents/Info.plist

I don't know the correct value for the Q6600, some say 100, some say 90.

Look at the screenshots in post #186. I believe CPU A-D are core temps, and CPU Heatsink is the other temperature which is usually lower.

/System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/PlugIns/FakeSMCIntelThermal.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Look at the screenshots in post #186. I believe CPU A-D are core temps, and CPU Heatsink is the other temperature which is usually lower.

I have TJMax=100 set manually for my Q6600 :

post-200327-1282694544_thumb.png

Aug 18 21:46:36 kernel[0]: CPU-i: probing...

Aug 18 21:46:36 kernel[0]: CPU-i: Got I/O Kit CPU 0 (0) named CPU0

Aug 18 21:46:36 kernel[0]: CPU-i: Got I/O Kit CPU 1 (1) named CPU1

Aug 18 21:46:36 kernel[0]: CPU-i: Got I/O Kit CPU 2 (2) named CPU2

Aug 18 21:46:36 kernel[0]: CPU-i: Got I/O Kit CPU 3 (3) named CPU3

Aug 18 21:46:36 kernel[0]: CPU-i: Tjmax 100, Mobile CPU 0

Aug 18 21:46:36 kernel[0]: IntelThermal: CPU family 0x6, model 0xf, stepping 0xb

Aug 18 21:46:36 kernel[0]: IntelThermal: Found 4 cores 0 threads

Aug 18 21:46:36 kernel[0]: IntelThermal: Manually CPU Tjmax 100

hmmmm.. don't know about the screenshots as he's running overclocked,

my Q6600 runs 3.0ghz and istat indicates it should be in speedstep (indicated 1.12v!) but cpu-x still reads 3ghz :D

voodoomonitor tells me i'm running 1998 (333x6) speedstep mode @1.13 but cpu-x or sysctl | hw.cpufrequency give me 3ghz actual speed ! :)

don't know really at what speed and voltage i'm running in fact :P

before with the old faksmc (in E/E) , i had temps around 43°, now with this fakesmc 2.5 i got from projectOSX (put in S/L/E, other one removed), i have temp of 33° so i guess it's not the same sensor

i'll try to reboot and check temperature in bios to see which it matches

FakeSMCIntelThermal sets tjmax as 90 for the Q6600

Aug 25 11:32:22 oldnapalm kernel[0]: IntelThermal: CPU family 0x6, model 0xf, stepping 0xb
Aug 25 11:32:22 oldnapalm kernel[0]: IntelThermal: Found 4 cores 0 threads
Aug 25 11:32:22 oldnapalm kernel[0]: IntelThermal: CPU Tjmax 90

Try setting it manually as 100 (see verdant's post) and you will have the same temps as with old fakesmc.

FakeSMCIntelThermal sets tjmax as 90 for the Q6600

Aug 25 11:32:22 oldnapalm kernel[0]: IntelThermal: CPU family 0x6, model 0xf, stepping 0xb
 Aug 25 11:32:22 oldnapalm kernel[0]: IntelThermal: Found 4 cores 0 threads
 Aug 25 11:32:22 oldnapalm kernel[0]: IntelThermal: CPU Tjmax 90

Try setting is manually as 100 (see verdant's post) and you will have the same temps as with old fakesmc.

Thanks, this works great :D

istat now displays true core cpu temps (or whatever sensor we call this)

However, i've oc my Q6600 @3,0ghz , iStat indicates 1,12v which would mean it triggered speedstep but it didn't

- temps don't change; @1,12 and running a gentle 1998 temps should go down

- speed is still 3,0ghz (cpu-x and terminal sysctl | hw.cpufrequency check confirm this)

- so voodoomonitor must be wrong, see attached, weird

my conclusion : speedspeed isn't working and i'm running 3ghz, standard vcore (about 1,28v or so).

Any other software with which i could check my cpu voltage ??

post-592671-1282749873_thumb.png

post-592671-1282749884_thumb.png

CPU-x and sysctl hw.cpufrequency always show the max frequency, even if speedstep is working and current frequency is lower.

A friend who also has an overclocked Q6600 (MaLd0n) said he has problems when VoodooMonitor kext is loaded. It works fine here, but mine isn't overclocked.

Have you tried PStateChanger, Mark-i or MSR Tools?

no, didn't try that

do you have any link to install and try these ? (removing all voodoo stuff i guess)

as for now i tried disabling all the saving in BIOS but istat still reads 1.16v! weird

SL seems to ovverride the bios, no matter what i do

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Is there someone can tell me where i get the files that dmx have posted on the post #162??

I am getting high heats with a Celeron 1.6 32-bit... (86 degrees celsius)

EDIT: Ok, i'd already got the theese files. But voodoo monitor don't show any information. I am not the best person to handle DSDT, so i think speedstep is not enable this nx7300.

Temperature Monitor shows tems about 45--70 degrees celsius at moment.