CPU temperature in iStat

oldnapalm

208 posts in this topic

Thanks friend.

I was reading this topic http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=170384 (see you were reading it too), looks like they couldn't make it work with OSK0 and OSK1 keys. Do you think it could work for sensor keys?

I was yes. I only noticed certain comments here, so I had to see for myself what they were about. Anyway. Writing keys on a Mac Pro is easy, because it has the required SMC chip. But looking at FakeSMC... yes that logic can be written in ASL. Intercepting writes to and reads from the two ports (0x0300/0x0304) is however is a different story. It might trigger some sort of (ACPI) event, but I haven't really looked into it yet.

I was yes. I only noticed certain comments here, so I had to see for myself what they were about. Anyway. Writing keys on a Mac Pro is easy, because it has the required SMC chip. But looking at FakeSMC... yes that logic can be written in ASL. Intercepting writes to and reads from the two ports (0x0300/0x0304) is however is a different story. It might trigger some sort of (ACPI) event, but I haven't really looked into it yet.
Nicolas Boichat did some work on this issue at http://www.mail-archive.com/mactel-linux-u...t/msg00860.html.

I'm not sure which machine he used 2.5 years ago, but his results may be useful.

Perhaps someone with SMC version 1.39f5 (Apple hardware MacPro4,1) could disassemble the driver with otool and use it to get it's keys.

Hello,

In IStat, my CPU temperature readings is frozen, It's not changing at all. Right now it's stuck at 37 for cpu A and 34 for cpu B in celsius.

I'm using the modified fakesmc for snow leopard.

My specs:

Snow Leopard 10.6.1

Pentium D E6300 2.80 GHZ

G31M-ES2L

Sata Harddrives

Nvidia 7500LE

In IStat, my CPU temperature readings is frozen, It's not changing at all. Right now it's stuck at 37 for cpu A and 34 for cpu B in celsius.

Hi,

did you test VoodooMonitor in this computer? As I wrote in the first post, the code used in this modified FakeSMC is from VoodooMonitor. In one computer (MSI mobo and C2D CPU) I had the same problem you had, temperatures stuck at 37 and 39º C, using both iStat and VoodooMonitor. I think we'll need help from MojoDojo again.

Edit: I did some more tests and the temps actually change. Running "yes" they go up to around 45º C, but return to 37-39 in just a few seconds after the command stops running, pretty strange (my Q6600 takes much longer to cool after a stress).

Where did I see how to disable the missing key warnings in fakeSMC? Or should I just add dummy values for all the missing keys.

Please see post #23, you just have to remove or comment out the "IOLog" lines from IOACPIPlatformDeviceCh.cpp with the messages you see in log.

There's a compiled version a few posts after that, but it's not the latest. I will compile it without debug messages when I get home tonight.

Edit: added to the first post.

Nicolas Boichat did some work on this issue at

<a href="http://www.mail-archive.com/mactel-linux-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00860.html" target="_blank">http://www.mail-archive.com/mactel-linux-u...t/msg00860.html</a>.

I'm not sure which machine he used 2.5 years ago, but his results may be useful.

Perhaps someone with SMC version 1.39f5 (Apple hardware MacPro4,1) could disassemble the driver with otool and use it to get it's keys.

Thanks, but I have a Mac Pro 4,1 but I am not interested in the keys. But adding SMC keys like TC1D can be done. Just take a look at this screen shot where I debug the addition of the TC1D key on my Mac Pro 4,1 (step by step debugging in ACPICAexec). Telling me that my code works.

Thanks, but I have a Mac Pro 4,1 but I am not interested in the keys. But adding SMC keys like TC1D can be done. Just take a look at this screen shot where I debug the addition of the TC1D key on my Mac Pro 4,1 (step by step debugging in ACPICAexec). Telling me that my code works.

May one day you be free to release this information :D

Thanks oldnapalm & netkas for adding the temps to fakesmc.

I looked up tjmax for my processor line (mobile core 2 45nm) and it should be 105 not 100.

Note that fakesmc could dynamically get the trip point out of the ACPI table (it's in _CRT).

Lacking that, it's too bad fakesmc doesn't key off of a static table for the most common intel processors.

Once I updated tjmax I'm getting good results with istat nano, thanks again.

Note that fakesmc could dynamically get the trip point out of the ACPI table (it's in _CRT).

Lacking that, it's too bad fakesmc doesn't key off of a static table for the most common intel processors.

Hi bcc9, thanks for the tip.

Please send this info to netkas if you have other way than writing in this thread. I don't have his e-mail, registration is disabled in his forum, and his PM box is full. I also have a question but don't know how to contact him (put it in first post).

Thanks again.

Please send this info to netkas if you have other way than writing in this thread. I don't have his e-mail, registration is disabled in his forum, and his PM box is full. I also have a question but don't know how to contact him (put it in first post).

Thanks again.

Post it to his fakesmc post on his blog (netkas.org). If it catches his attention he'll respond either by emai,l if you include it, or in the post itself.

Thanks again.

love that :)

btw, reg on forum disabled cuz of spam.

love that :(

btw, reg on forum disabled cuz of spam.

Please check bcc9 suggestion on post #115.

What about updating keys on demand or in loop? I ask because updating in loop, calling mp_rendezvous_no_intrs(IntelThermal, &magic) one time will update all keys, and updating on demand it will be called once for each key, so if you have more CPU cores it may be called more often (depending on update interval).

Thanks.

Is there a solution to the static temp readings? I get these with Oldnapalm or Netkas version of kext.

I have added Sbus and EC to DSDT, they both show up in Ioregexplorer although I haven't added all for support of these devices bits yet, causes a lot of compile errors if I try to. (as in Masterchief DSDT)

Still 38 degrees always shown for both cores, I would really like to know what temp my CPU is at to check the speedstep is working right.

Is there a solution to the static temp readings? I get these with Oldnapalm or Netkas version of kext.

I have added Sbus and EC to DSDT, they both show up in Ioregexplorer although I haven't added all for support of these devices bits yet, causes a lot of compile errors if I try to. (as in Masterchief DSDT)

Still 38 degrees always shown for both cores, I would really like to know what temp my CPU is at to check the speedstep is working right.

Use VoodooMonitor to check speedstep, it shows temp, voltage, frequency and multiplier.

Run VoodooMonitor, open a terminal and run the command "yes", the values should go up (Ctrl+C to interrupt).

Thanks, I have tried this though, I mean speedstep is definitely working, it steps with yes, I've seen most of the 10 p-states but temperatures are also static in voodoomonitor.

Just would like to know if it is really keeping the CPU temps in check as I have heard sometimes CPU runs hot with applecpumngmnt, I have appleLPC loaded too so I think its probably OK, but it would be nice to know for sure.

Thanks again.

Yes, there seems to be no good place to have open technical discussions on hackintosh topics.

Looks like my _CRT idea wouldn't work for all platforms (may not be set or may be set wrong on some platforms).

So I'd probably recommend a static table for the common cpus, and _CRT as a backup check if the cpu type is not known and _CRT is present & seems sane.