Lifehacker Guide with GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
2370 replies to this topic

Poll: GA-EP45-UD3P / Core 2 Quad / 9800gtx Experience (406 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you Booting SL

1. Stable - No Problems (196 votes [47.80%])

Percentage of vote: 47.80%

2. Stable - Minor Issues (142 votes [34.63%])

Percentage of vote: 34.63%

3. Unstable - Kernel Panics (26 votes [6.34%])

Percentage of vote: 6.34%

4. Not Booting (46 votes [11.22%])

Percentage of vote: 11.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

JTG78

JTG78

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I went ahead and tried the lifehacker guide with a setup nearly identical to what was specified. The only thing I'm missing is the ethernet card (it wasn't available when I originally ordered). So aside from the troubles involved with the onboard ethernet, my system seems to be working okay. Of course, this means I can't get Time Machine to work and nothing seems to be able to get a UUID.

In any case, my question is whether anyone using rev1.6 of the UD3P motherboards has tried using the updated FDa bios found at http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ ? (I beleive FB is the default that comes with the board.)

I went ahead and updated my bios after the initial installation and verification that everything was working properly. It sped up the AHCI boot process significantly! I had a couple of problems getting it to boot initially, but I redid my bios settings and eventually got everything going.

I have had a couple kernel panics for no apparent reason, but other than that things seem to be running okay. Admittedly, I haven't had enough time to properly test the system and use everything. And then there's the fact that I'm still missing the network card.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm particularly worried about whether I'll have to make changes to the DSDT file, something I know very little about.

dustonio

dustonio

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 7 posts

This thread is for us to share our experience with the hardware configuration:

Obviously, the case, the hard disk, and the memory don't have to be the same, but here they are for the sake of posterity:

The lifehacker guide including hardware config can be found here, and simplified even further through the addition of an automated script here.

Kudos to Adam Pash of lifehacker for putting this together, it's quite amazing to be able to do this so cheaply and simply!

If you've spent the money to get this exact configuration, it's probably a good idea to have a single place to discuss any problems that come up in the future. So share your experience here and hopefully this awesome hack pro setup will work flawlessy untill it's time for an upgrade!

I'm getting kernel panics every once in a while. the last one showed mds. I was trying to use SuperDuper! to back up my entire hard drive at the time. I wonder if other people are having problems with SuperDuper and/or Time Machine.

Another crazy thing that happened, is that all programs will all-of-a-sudden close, as though I was shutting down. The screen would turn blue, and then after a few seconds, the Snow Leopard background image would show and my dock would re-appear. I then needed to re-open all the programs. Strange...

martygearbox

martygearbox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

QE Status not displayed in SL. Try launching Chess. If you can move a pawn, it's working.

I saw that before (about using Chess to test QE), but I am not sure that is a valid test. I am able to move a pawn in Chess, but I still get no other QE effects (translucent menubar, widget add effects, etc) and iMovie won't start because of the lack of QE.

SkipG

SkipG

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
Thanks for the pointer. I have a Rev. 1.6 board and my DSDT worked fine after upgrading the BIOS. No changes required.

nhc

nhc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

It sounds like you are having the exact same problem I had. I thought the heatsink was seated properly too. I realized its really important to push down the pins opposite each other. Before, I went in a circle and even though it seemed like it was seated correctly, when I pulled it off, only half of the thermal compound was smooshed.

I would take off the heatsink and then put it back on, maybe with some arctic silver instead. I just got some, though I don't think its necessary because mine is running fine now.

i tried reseating the heat sink and immediately upon boot up i'm right back up at 90-99 C, after letting it rest and cool down over night. The thermal compound appeared to be well spread, but will try getting some arctic silver and reseating it. I'm afraid i'm going to do some serious damage to my machine even booting it with the chip running at these temps. I wonder if it could be a sensor problem? I just don't see how the chip can get so hot so fast!

shred1now

shred1now

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Stell,

I have been working with many systems over the years and have done days of research getting my stuff up to the current builds. I got tired and upgraded my stuff to what you recommended and followed the guide and BAM! Best system ever! Thanks for bringing us on board. Hope you help us with updates. Just wanted to say thank you very much for all of your work. I really appreciate it.

Raiten

Raiten

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Stell,

I have been working with many systems over the years and have done days of research getting my stuff up to the current builds. I got tired and upgraded my stuff to what you recommended and followed the guide and BAM! Best system ever! Thanks for bringing us on board. Hope you help us with updates. Just wanted to say thank you very much for all of your work. I really appreciate it.

Yeah, Stell rocks.

ghola

ghola

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
So I'm trying everything, now I'm thinking, I wonder if I switch vid cards this thing will load up to the disk util/install stage? Sure enough useing the USB Boot Image method I get into the snow installation; BUT the "pci video card" ATI Rage 128 AIW I used to get here can't deal with large LCD screens so I can only see half of what I need to do the install. I now need a monitor from 1906 AD to finish this. LOL

If people just made ATI 4870 bootable images life would be so easy. Now I have to go dumpster diving for old CRT's, and I just threw 3 away this year. ;p

chronosteam

chronosteam

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
I finally get my hackintosh to work. Thank you life hacker -_-
At first i had a problem with connecting to the network, but then i got it going. I just enable both of the onboard Network adapter. I have not had any problem since.

This board is great, tons on info and a very helpful member. Thanks a million :)

saciron

saciron

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
First of all thanks Adam for such a comprehensive guide on creating a Hackintosh. I'm having some issues though trying to get the network card to be recognized.

I followed this guide on Lifehacker
http://lifehacker.co...start-to-finish

Then used the "magic" install utility on this guide, to eliminate the need for terminal programming.
http://lifehacker.co...acking-required

Everything is working fine except for the network card.

It's not even shown in system profiler.

Unfortunately at the time when I purchased the components from New Egg, the Trend Net TEG-PCITXR was sold out, so I purchased the Rosewill RC-400 card which according to this website it compatible with Snow Leopard.

http://stellarola.tu...atible-hardware

I disabled the onboard LAN in BIOS as instructed and made sure all other settings were correct.

When you plug in the CAT cable to the back of the NIC, the lights come on.

Downloaded the drivers from Rosewill site, installed them to Hackintosh system. Still no luck.

Tried moving the card physically from one PCI slot to another. No luck.

Did a bit of research and very confused. Not really sure at this point what the issue is or where to go from here.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I went ahead and tried the lifehacker guide with a setup nearly identical to what was specified. The only thing I'm missing is the ethernet card (it wasn't available when I originally ordered). So aside from the troubles involved with the onboard ethernet, my system seems to be working okay. Of course, this means I can't get Time Machine to work and nothing seems to be able to get a UUID.

In any case, my question is whether anyone using rev1.6 of the UD3P motherboards has tried using the updated FDa bios found at http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ ? (I beleive FB is the default that comes with the board.)

I went ahead and updated my bios after the initial installation and verification that everything was working properly. It sped up the AHCI boot process significantly! I had a couple of problems getting it to boot initially, but I redid my bios settings and eventually got everything going.

I have had a couple kernel panics for no apparent reason, but other than that things seem to be running okay. Admittedly, I haven't had enough time to properly test the system and use everything. And then there's the fact that I'm still missing the network card.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm particularly worried about whether I'll have to make changes to the DSDT file, something I know very little about.

Ya using the rev 1.6 of the board. No NIC for me either. Haven't done a BIOS update though. Do you feel that would be necessary?

Curvin

Curvin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Using the Rev 1.6 board here, and have no issue with the onboard NIC's, working fine .

I didn't make any changes to the Extras or DSDT files , so not sure why my NIC is working where its not for others.

BIOS rev is still FB, but I'll be updating to the latest BETA BIOS when I get a few spare minutes and report back.

I haven't pushed the system too hard, but no major problems to report so far.

stellarola

stellarola

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
You can guys can use the onboard ethernet, there's just no bonjour support.

CoHPhasor

CoHPhasor

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Adam, thank you for bringing the masses (including myself) up to speed in such a sweet way.
Stella, thanks for spending the time (and patience) on us and Adam to get this build workable and EASY!

I understand that keeping the components in the build identical is fairly critical, but have one question.
Can I use a Q9550 instead of the Q9650?
They're both 45nm Yorkfields with 1333MHz FSB etc, but for the .17GHz increase the price gap is $100. (50% jump!)

I figure if I use an old case, grab the Q9550, use only 4GB RAM, and get a WD 500GB Green instead of the 1TB I'll be able to make this build for about $675 instead of $900 and still be able to safely follow your updates.

Is that correct? Use the Q9550 without having to worry about compatability with your build?

Thanks in advance for your help!

saciron

saciron

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

You can guys can use the onboard ethernet, there's just no bonjour support.

So just remove the PCI card, reboot, go into BIOS and enable both onboard Ethernet Ports?

irontony

irontony

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Adam, thank you for bringing the masses (including myself) up to speed in such a sweet way.
Stella, thanks for spending the time (and patience) on us and Adam to get this build workable and EASY!

I understand that keeping the components in the build identical is fairly critical, but have one question.
Can I use a Q9550 instead of the Q9650?
They're both 45nm Yorkfields with 1333MHz FSB etc, but for the .17GHz increase the price gap is $100. (50% jump!)

I figure if I use an old case, grab the Q9550, use only 4GB RAM, and get a WD 500GB Green instead of the 1TB I'll be able to make this build for about $675 instead of $900 and still be able to safely follow your updates.

Is that correct? Use the Q9550 without having to worry about compatability with your build?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Yes you can use the Q9550, I have and it works great =)

Question for anyone out there using this install with UD3P

Have any of you tried using Firewire yet?

machinist

machinist

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

So just remove the PCI card, reboot, go into BIOS and enable both onboard Ethernet Ports?

Yes, but if you desire full compatibility, including bonjour, apply dsdt lan and/or gige fixes to your dsdt and install a startup script incorporating Becker's promiscuity enabler (http://www.stanford....stuff/#ifconfig). (Eliade has written one already, available at http://www.insanelym...owtopic=181903).

irontony

irontony

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
@ machinist

I noticed in your sig that you are using ATI 3870.
Are you running Snow Leopard?

I ask as I could not get 10.6 to install, boot, work with my 3870

I changed to a 9800GTX and Snow Works great...

but if I can get the 3870 to work, I might keep it.

Kind regards

machinist

machinist

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

@ machinist

I noticed in your sig that you are using ATI 3870.
Are you running Snow Leopard?

I ask as I could not get 10.6 to install, boot, work with my 3870

I changed to a 9800GTX and Snow Works great...

but if I can get the 3870 to work, I might keep it.

Kind regards

The 3870 does "work" in Snow with rotation and resolutions, but as yet no hardware acceleration. I've only seen one "report" of "renaming" it to a 4870 and achieving QE on a French OSX board, but the author has not responded to my inquiry, and it might of course be a translation problem. My French is {censored}.

The 3870 will never be compatible with OpenCL according to Netkas, so I'll likely ditch mine, just before Apple releases new code enabling hardware acceleration, which is all I want since there isn't even a screensaver written for OpenCL. MacPro users report diminished performance with the 3870 in SL compared to 10.5.x, so it's not a Hack specific issue.

I think the 3870 could have hardware acceleration with a patched (Megalodon) framebuffer, or flashed with an altered efi-rom, as I can get to a blue screen followed by black and white jumbled squares with vanilla 10.6.1 and evoenabler. Patched framebuffers for the 48xx do not work for the 3870.

As you have another card in your first slot, would you try putting your 3870 into the second pcie slot and seeing if it works? MacPro users have discovered that if an Apple approved card is in their first slot any Mac compatible card, (like your PC version of the 3870), will be recognized and fully functional in another slot. If this works then perhaps all that's needed is to construct a "dummy" or virtual card?

Tuad'Dib

Tuad'Dib

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay, so I have the exact same components as the guide, except I am using an older nVidia 7600gt card (which should be compatible with OSX). Boot up goes to the apple logo and then goes to a light blue screen... Then nothing.

Is it something to do with the resolution of the graphics card and I'm just not able to see the full screen to install... or could this be something else? I am using a new ASUS 24' monitor, for what it is worth.

Any ideas are appreciated.

irontony

irontony

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

The 3870 does "work" in Snow with rotation and resolutions, but as yet no hardware acceleration. I've only seen one "report" of "renaming" it to a 4870 and achieving QE on a French OSX board, but the author has not responded to my inquiry, and it might of course be a translation problem. My French is {censored}.

The 3870 will never be compatible with OpenCL according to Netkas, so I'll likely ditch mine, just before Apple releases new code enabling hardware acceleration, which is all I want since there isn't even a screensaver written for OpenCL. MacPro users report diminished performance with the 3870 in SL compared to 10.5.x, so it's not a Hack specific issue.

I think the 3870 could have hardware acceleration with a patched (Megalodon) framebuffer, or flashed with an altered efi-rom, as I can get to a blue screen followed by black and white jumbled squares with vanilla 10.6.1 and evoenabler. Patched framebuffers for the 48xx do not work for the 3870.

As you have another card in your first slot, would you try putting your 3870 into the second pcie slot and seeing if it works? MacPro users have discovered that if an Apple approved card is in their first slot any Mac compatible card, (like your PC version of the 3870), will be recognized and fully functional in another slot. If this works then perhaps all that's needed is to construct a "dummy" or virtual card?

Thanks for that. I understand that CL only works for the 4xxx series ATI but it was good to know that 3870 should work on a normal standard level. When Im free I will try test it in the spare slot thanks.

On a side note...

Has anyone tested firewire yet on this board running 10.6?

Kind regards
Anthony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy