[How To] ALC882 Sound

Rammjet

204 posts in this topic

Yea I booted back into Windows.

My device ID is 10ec

My Vendor ID is 0880

Continuing to follow the guide would effectively make my Codec String: 0x10ec0880

and my Controller String: 0x088010ec

No.

The Appendix has 2 steps: A. and B. You have to look up vendor/device id's in TWO places in Windows.

Step A. will produce the vendor id = 10ec (Realtek) and the device id = 0880 for your Codec.

Step B. will produce a different set of vendor/device id's - the ones for your Controller.

I'm not saying this will guarantee working sound, but at least you will be trying with the correct device identifiers from your own motherboard, rather than guessing or trying device identifiers from other people's motherboards.

I was Just wondering if any one else has notice that this section is ignored:

<key>Realtek ALC880/ALC860 Codec Driver</key>

<dict>

blah...

</dict>

This mean that changing 0x10ec0880 (in my case 0x10ec0882) to match your card doesn't matter.

In fact I have deleted this section of the code out and it still works with Audio Output only.

It is loading the Azalia Generic Codec Driver. I comfirm this using ioreg -l.

This is probably why we only get Audio Out.

<key>Azalia Generic Codec Driver</key>

<dict>

blah...

</dict>

Making any changes to this part of the code will cause no sound after reboot.

So, the only change required is to change AppleAzaliaController info.plist

match your contoller DeviceID and VenderID:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x27d88086</string>

I bring this up to hopefully help get the Audio working more fully.

Maybe someone else can take it a bit further.

I got my Controller IDs

Device 2668

Vendor 8086

Added the string 0x26688086 to my Controller .kext rebooted still no sound. :)

Wish i could get my Mac Pro early.

If anyone has any other ideas it would be greatly appreciated, if not I want to thank everyone for all the help they have been.

Mike

Added the string 0x26688086 to my Controller .kext rebooted still no sound. :)

You can't just reboot. You need to delete the files in Step 1 (2 of them get regenerated when you reboot - they need to be deleted for the change to take effect). And perform Step 3 and 4 again.

You can't just reboot. You need to delete the files in Step 1 (2 of them get regenerated when you reboot - they need to be deleted for the change to take effect). And perform Step 3 and 4 again.

I know all about deleting the kext cache files. So that is not the issue, I just didnt add every step in my last email. If the kext cache files are still there it will not check for changes in the kext packages.

The sound just has a mind of its own on this machine, it worked for 2 days on a fresh install without any changes then one day just disappeared, I have been unable to get it back since.

Mike

Hm, i think about that, since my Mainboard tells my, my Sounddevice is Azalia/AC97....

Did you have the Control with the AppleHDA.kext too?

Means: Sound driver with the AC97.kext and Control of Input/Output/SpDif via AppleHDA.kext?

Rene

In my experience, this either means you entered one of the strings in the wrong format or you altered the plist in some other way - added spaces, or a return character or changed the indenting.

For ALC880, the first string is probably "0x10ec0880" and the 2nd string is most likely of the form "0xZZZZ8086" where ZZZZ are 4 characters similar to (but may be different than) "27d8". If you used strings that are not like these, then review how you arrived at those strings. Remember, the 2nd string is backwards from first string. The first string is "0x" followed by (vendor id) followed by (device id). The second string is "0x" followed by (device id) followed by (vendor id).

Go back into the files and verify that things look right. Indenting is consistent, nothing seems to be out of place, no extra spaces, no extra characters.

Good luck!

Hi Ramjet.

Thx for all your help and advice! I did a clean install of 10.4.7 and it worked!!! Again thanks!!! Now to get Input working! I hope someone figure it out!

Regards

I have a Realtek ACL850 on my board. It is partly recognized. Sound output works and input is available but the input isn't routed to the output. Output works as I can hear system sounds and music, etc.

I can see the input on the graph when attaching a piano or a microphone. I tried to use the aggregate function for audio devices in the Audio Midi Setup (Utiliities) but no result.

The System Profiler says under Hardware -> Audio (Built In): No Built-in Audio.

I'm running 10.4.7 but the same happenes on my 10.4.3 system.

My hardware specs: Asrock P4-Dual-915GL

Everything else works fine and smoothly.

Thanks Rammjet, This is actually quite a good guide. I was able to successfully get my sound working on my Asus A8N32-MVP Delux Board AMD Chip Set. Its about the only thing i have managed to get workin yet.... Its my Video i have problems with. I'm not very confident at all with Mac's but i have to start using them due to my course at college. So this is a start.

I'm running

AMD X2 4800 Tolendo Core S939

A8N32-MVP Deluxe MB - (ALC882 Built onboard *Workin now*)

2 GB Corsair XMS Xpert (Dual Channel)

Power Color X1900 XTX 512 (can't get fully running yet)

Thanks again i hope i can get my video running as easy as that.

Mark

THNX !!!

Working with my ALC882 on Asus P5LD2 Bios ver. 1207

Latency is very low !!! This chip works better (faster - for music production) under OSX than WinXP with original driver - how it's possible? WinXP latency - 150 ms, OSX latency 7 ms !!!

Tested on Cubase SE3

Hi Guys, I have a Toshiba Laptop with

*** Core Solo 1.66 GHZ SSE3

*** Intel HD Audio (Realtek)

I downloaded Some Hardware Info software in XP and Got these ID's from it

0x10ec0882

0x27d88086

and checked thru device manager in windows XP and got this

0x10ec0816

0x27d88086

Not I tries both the Values and it still says improperly configured

I am sick of this now