HOW-TO GUIDE: Snow Leopard Retail 10.6 on Asus P6T Deluxe V2

wziard

482 posts in this topic

1. I don't know why this happens but it has something to do with NVCAP settings... If you're currently using the GraphicsEnabler=Yes flag without a EFI string, try turning the enabler off and creating an EFI string with OSX86tools (there you can set dvi-i/dvi-i nvcap setts.)

2. This is purely cosmetic and you can fix it by adding a custom SMBIOS.plist into your extra folder. Search around on what to put in there to make it look right.

@ the BTW -> Yes, since you're running vanilla kernel software updates will work without a hitch. (even point updates should be smooth sailing, due to the nature of the /extra folder)

Yet another (semi) success story:

I have Snow Leopard installed and working on my rig:

Asus P6T (not Deluxe)

Core i7 920 @2.66 GHz

2xSeagate Barracuda 1TB SATA drives

PNY XLR8 GeForce 9800 GT 1024 MB

6GB DDR3

It works brilliantly with QE/CI and full resolution, as well as sound. It does sense all my RAM. However, it only senses my second hard drive as a device, not the partitions thereon (3 unused 100GB unformatted partitions, 1 100GB partition with Windows, 1 550 or so GB partition for storage). Also, whenever it turns on, there is only like a 1/3 chance of actually booting, rather than just hanging at the little spinny apple. When I boot with -v, it hangs at various points (or sometimes actually boots). I'm not sure about internet, because where this computer is situated, there's no ethernet to plug it in to. All USB ports work fine, so does my webcam.

If anyone could help with the boot problem that would be great. It sucks to have to wait 30 minutes for your computer to turn on when you have multiple OSs on it.

For me it did. Installed 10.6.1 without any problem. But maybe backing up your extension folder and other sensibles things like that would be a good idea in case something append.

OK, thanks! Is there any other files or folders i should back up apart from /Extra/Extension ?

By the way, after more extensive testing of my rig, I can say this:

The booting hangs at one of three places, "Waiting for DSMOS", something about firewire not finding a security mode and defaulting to full secure, or "SystemShutdown=no" (or something like that, at least). It does NOT hang indefinitely, but when it does load (I cannot say for sure when it does, because I kind of just left it there), it it so slow that it literally takes like 20 seconds to load the password-typing screen when you click on a username, and when you type your password just sits there with the Snow Leopard desktop and no menu bar or dock.

Please, does anybody know what's causing this?

By the way, after more extensive testing of my rig, I can say this:

The booting hangs at one of three places, "Waiting for DSMOS", something about firewire not finding a security mode and defaulting to full secure, or "SystemShutdown=no" (or something like that, at least). It does NOT hang indefinitely, but when it does load (I cannot say for sure when it does, because I kind of just left it there), it it so slow that it literally takes like 20 seconds to load the password-typing screen when you click on a username, and when you type your password just sits there with the Snow Leopard desktop and no menu bar or dock.

Please, does anybody know what's causing this?

Is your SATA drive connected to the first port? If not, that might be worth a shot..

Anyone else having a issue with DVD Player closing and not playing dvds? I even installed VLC and its crashing trying to play them as well. I have saw that it might be a smbios.plist issue? Also sleep isnt working on my P6T (non deluxe). Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

*edit* not sure if it matters but my drive is sata. it reads discs ok it seems, just cant play any dvds store bought or otherwise.

Anyone else having a issue with DVD Player closing and not playing dvds? I even installed VLC and its crashing trying to play them as well. I have saw that it might be a smbios.plist issue? Also sleep isnt working on my P6T (non deluxe). Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

*edit* not sure if it matters but my drive is sata. it reads discs ok it seems, just cant play any dvds store bought or otherwise.

I also have the P6T non-deluxe, and sleep isn't working. By the way, I just realized my SATA drive isn't in SATA1, my DVD drive is. I get "Still waiting for root device" sometimes when I have a cd or dvd in the drive.

After trying to install snow leopard via USB and failing miserably, I tried to follow this tutorial and I still have the same problem.

My system is somewhat like the Spiteful Monkey (i7 950, with 9gb ddr3 and geforce GTX 850). But I bought a gateway, looks like the motherboard is one specific made by them.

The problem is that everytime I try to boot in chameleon I receive this screen:

_DSC0869.jpg

I already checked if sata is in AHCI mode, and they are, I also tried chameleon RC3, added the graphics enabler into boot.plist, and tried to re-install the BSD.pkg via my original mac, but I just got this screen everytime. My guess is maybe a problem with the dsdt.aml, but I tried using the program that generates one of the tutorial package.

Anyone have any idea that could help, please?

Did you tried to disabled all cores exept 1/Hyperthreating and boot without a "dsdt.aml" file?

I didn't even know that this was possible! I will try that.

Or if you used chameleon RC3, did you used the "boot" file from first post?

Actually I tried with the boot file made by Netkas, V10.3 and later V10.1, but I don't remember if I tried with the original of this post.

Hum...I tested to boot without the dsdt.aml file and yes, the error is gone. But after a while the computer just shut down. It appears that you have to use the dsdt patch in the computer that will be the hackintosh, but how I will patch it without already running the mac os?

Actually been having exactly the same issue. Have Snow Leopard installed using an existing Leopard install and installed onto a new drive. Used the Extras etc from this forum and Chameleon RC3. Used "The King's" SATA fix and it has kinda fixed the sata issue, although still doesn't seem 100% like 10.5.7 was previously.

Went to test a DVD at the weekend and couldn't get the thing to run any of store bought DVD's. As you'd mentioned Spiteful Monkey, it appears to crash the system eventually. Think it maybe time to head back to Leopard for me, I miss the stability of it.

Have also had 2 complete crashes of the system. Left the system on, came back half an hour later to find the system still on, froze screen and enough heat to boil an egg. So, think I'll be reaching for my Leopard backup image, until Snow Leopard becomes a bit less buggy :P

Yes, I have this problem too. iMovie will also crash whenever I try to import a movie and from what I've read the two issues are somehow related to PC-EFI or SMBIOS:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=65813

Yes, I have this problem too. iMovie will also crash whenever I try to import a movie and from what I've read the two issues are somehow related to PC-EFI or SMBIOS:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=65813

Not sure if it's related but netkas has released a new PC EFI 10.3.

http://netkas.org/?p=224

This new boot file fixes the GraphicsEnabler and EthernetBuiltin keys in com.apple.boot.plist so they work now to inject the proper values. I also noticed that the machine will properly shutdown or restart after a sleep/wake cycle now. Give it a try. BTW, Ihad DVD player working before this with no problems

You have to use the -pci0 kernel option for our motherboard.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>default</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-pci0 arch=x86_64 busratio=20</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>y</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

</dict>

</plist>

For anyone else with a GTX 260 that is getting the black screen right after boot, this guide fixed it for me: http://www.infinitemac.com/f19/guide-gefor...-leopard-t4057/

Or look at my post prior to yours and let the PC EFI 10.3 boot loader inject the proper settings without messing with your /System/Library/Extensions and other files. The rm -rf commands in that guide can end in disaster for a noob....or a pro that accidentally hits Enter at the wrong time.

The com.apple.boot.plist in the files I posted earlier in this thread already have the EFI strings for a GTX260 and built-in Ethernet if you want to go that route.

Thanks wziard and special thanks to King for the patch!

I still have sleep issues with my board (Asus P6TSE) and there isn't any 64bit driver for my onboard audio ALC1200...in 32bit mode it works well.

Thanks to the community also.

Regards,

neonized

My patched DSDT.aml (King's SATA fix) for P6TSE if someone needs it:

DSDT.aml_AsusP6Tse.zip

Not sure if it's related but netkas has released a new PC EFI 10.3.

[...]

I also noticed that the machine will properly shutdown or restart after a sleep/wake cycle now. Give it a try. BTW, Ihad DVD player working before this with no problems

Hi dgobe,

i just successfully installed PC EFI 10.3. Still i cannot wake from sleep. Could you post your files you have in /Extra, please?

Thanks!

They are in post #80.

I just noticed that the computer doesn't stay asleep, after about 20-30 minutes it wakes again(it also does this in Vista x64). This might be related to a wireless mouse I have but I haven't had time to test it since I don't sleep often.

I'm working on a DSDT that will hopefully eliminate the need for

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

SleepEnabler.kext and

OpenHaltRestart.kext

and maybe get vanilla speedstep and power management.

Unless someone else posts it before me and I don't have to mess with it ;)

i havent tried this for a while after failing miserably when it first came up...

has much changed to the original guide that i couldnt get to work with my gtx285??? see there is now a ahci fix... how does that change from the orignal guide in here... thinking of trying again sunday....

There's a new Extra snapshot attached to this post that is the result of many hours of reading these forums and others around the net. It is intended to replace your existing /Extra folder. Make a backup! Comments and improvements welcome!

Most of the information I used was in these threads/sites...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181631

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=189562

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181981

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...mp;hl=SLOW+SATA

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=168014

http://www.uphuck.ggrn.de/forum/viewtopic....987&p=37648

http://www.osx86.es/?lang=en

http://netkas.org

See posts #1, #80, #116 of this thread for any additional info.

Many thanks to beerkex'd, THe KiNG, csharpmac, FormerlyKnownAs, DigitalDJ, zhell, Chameleon team, wziard and anyone else I'm missing.

The only thing that doesn't seem to be working is Restart and Shutdown(but only when there has been a Sleep/Wake cycle, if you don't sleep Restart and Shutdown works). If anyone has a fix let me know!

Here's a brief rundown...

Use the PC EFI 10.3 boot file, it's in the root of the zip file just:

cp bootpcefi10.3 /boot

You should already have at least Chameleon RC2 installed.

You'll have to modify com.apple.Boot.plist to specify your graphics mode and busratio, it's set for a Core i7 920. GraphicsEnabler is working fine with my GTX260 and many Nvidia cards should just work. For ATI see the websites above(netkas and osx86.es)

The dsdt.aml file has the some of the devices renamed to those of a real Mac, a device-id hack so AppleLPC.kext will load, and "Windows 2006" patch. You can use vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and your CPU will run nice and cool. I have 35C/95F idle temps.

The kexts in the SLE folder need to be moved to your /System/Library/Extensions folder. There's a .txt file in there with more info. The CPUInjector.kext is setup for a 920, see DigitalDJ's thread if you need to change it for other processors. If you previously renamed AppleHDA.kext you'll have to reinstate it, using AD2000b.kext now instead of VoodooHDA.kext.

Tweak smbios.plist for your CPU clock and UUID. The last 8 digits should be the MAC address of your ethernet card(ifconfig -a ether property).

That's about it, don't forget to fix the permissions on the files.

IGNORE THE ABOVE TEXT, THERE IS A NEW INSTALLER HERE:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1387316

Hi I am trying to get osx on my p6t deluxe v2.

I followed this guide but I can't boot into osx. I did -x -v and it gets to this point and then freezes. After a minute the screen stops getting signal. I am also doing a slight alteration to this guide and do not know if it will work. I am setting up osx onto a usb hd, then I plan to boot it on the computer it will be on. Once it is booted I will do a bit for bit transfer onto internal drive.

Thanks for any help I have been trying to get osx on this board for a while know. Here is the output before it freezes-

acpi_smc_platformplugin::start - WaitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment) timed out

(I tried to upload picture but it didn't work)