Thanks iRobie

Everything is up and running now.

Ombaudsman

Ombaudsman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Still not even installing on my G41M-ES2L.

Followed this tutorial: http://lifehacker.co...start-to-finish

Boot was stuck at some point. Then I found this topic (this one) and tried the kexts plus the kextcache commands on single user. It was stuck here: AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Ethernet address: <my mac address>

Then I tried to follow completely the steps on this tutorial (using my pen drive): Kernel Panic. Then I reverted to the original "boot"

So, am I doing something wrong? I bought this MOBO because I thought it would be perfect under osx. At least I saw it on psystar website as being fully compatible...

Could be something in my BIOS settings? It's the F3 version.
Could it be something with my recently supported Radeon HD 4670? I tried booting with the new "boot" from netkas. Same behavior, just a different resolution during the verbose messages...

Someone can plz help me? Im starting to have no new ideas.

Ombaudsman

Ombaudsman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Found this:

Now, if I try to boot this system (or the BootCD, or a USB boot disk; I have tried them all) the retail install DVD hangs at around ethernet card initialization. For a long time, I thought it was related to fakeSMC.kext because I could boot with -s flag, which is typical of a fakesmc/dsmos/appledecrypt problem (or so says the mighty Google). I tried every variation of kexts/BIOS settings that I could think of, but nothing worked. Then I decided to try the new PC EFI 10.3 boot file from Netkas:
Replace the 'boot' file in Chameleon partition with the Netkas' PC EFI 10.3 boot file.
Edit Chameleon/Extra/com.apple.boot.plist to include:
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v -x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string>
Boot, and behold! The install dvd partition booted, and installation onto SL1 went smoothly. Booted into a gorgeous 1920x1200 screen even without setting the graphics mode in com.apple.boot.plist. I have been busy installing my usual apps and doing my usual customizations, and I haven't seen a single hiccup so far.

In short, the PC EFI 10.3 'boot' file automagically initializes my 4870 correctly, and allows me to use a totally untouched /S/L/E (and without any other EFI/DSDT fix) which I couldn't do in 10.5. (Big thanks to Netkas.) I wonder if blackosx would consider using it on the BootCD or maybe provide an alternative BootCD for ATI users

Same behavior.
Then, I took netkas special "boot" file for 46xx and added the strings to com.apple.boot.plist
Now, it seems to hang on another part:
Posted Image

anyone can help?

iRobie

iRobie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
All the guides are pretty much the same. Where they differ is the packaged kext files. Remember step 0 of this guide is get everything working on 10.5 first :rolleyes:

That's a little late now - the point of 10.5 was because there was more kext files for it vs 10.6, but now 10.6 is well developed.

Here's another mini-guide to try to help.

I recently tested the latest install methods - I'd skip the Lifehacker guide because it's for another MB. The guide that worked really well for me - including 64 bit without problem - is sk1nhd33t guide.

1. Install OSX on your hard drive
There are a few ways to do this:
  • (Using a mac) Restore the retail DVD to a USB drive, then use MyHack to make that USB bootable on generic hardware
  • (No Mac) Use boot-132 or Psystar Rebel CD to boot that CD, then install OSX from the retail CD
  • (Using a mac) Use OSinstall.mpkg (worst option now, it's the one I said to use)

2. Install Chameleon bootloader
This lets you boot into OSX after it's installed

3. Install your kext files, DSDT file, and your boot.apple file

Follow the sk1nhd33t guide - it works on this motherboard.

Oh - very very important - make your own DSDT file. Do NOT use someone elses, make your own. It's not that hard - just follow the instructions in that linked guide.

Ombaudsman

Ombaudsman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

All the guides are pretty much the same. Where they differ is the packaged kext files. Remember step 0 of this guide is get everything working on 10.5 first :wacko:

That's a little late now - the point of 10.5 was because there was more kext files for it vs 10.6, but now 10.6 is well developed.

Here's another mini-guide to try to help.

I recently tested the latest install methods - I'd skip the Lifehacker guide because it's for another MB. The guide that worked really well for me - including 64 bit without problem - is sk1nhd33t guide.

1. Install OSX on your hard drive
There are a few ways to do this:

• (Using a mac) Restore the retail DVD to a USB drive, then use MyHack to make that USB bootable on generic hardware
  • (No Mac) Use boot-132 or Psystar Rebel CD to boot that CD, then install OSX from the retail CD
  • (Using a mac) Use OSinstall.mpkg (worst option now, it's the one I said to use)

2. Install Chameleon bootloader
This lets you boot into OSX after it's installed

3. Install your kext files, DSDT file, and your boot.apple file

Follow the sk1nhd33t guide - it works on this motherboard.

Oh - very very important - make your own DSDT file. Do NOT use someone elses, make your own. It's not that hard - just follow the instructions in that linked guide.

Thanks. I'll try that link at night (@work now).
Some points:
1) That ES2L kit is for the Gigabyte G31, not the G41.
1.1) Where those kits came from? Is there a place where I can check to see if someone created one for my G41 MOBO?
1.2) Anyway, it should be much closer (as you said) than the installation method that I was using

2) I have a Radeon 4670. So, I think I need to use netkas stuff. At this point I have:
2.1) A "boot" file that he made specially for 4[3-6]xx Radeons
2.2) Some kexts (ATI4500Controller.kext, ATI4600Controller.kext, ATI4800Controller.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext and ATISupport.kext)
2.3) AFAIK, I'll need to change the boot file with this one, as well as include the ATI4600Controller.kext inside my pen drive in /System/Library/Extensions or /Extra/Extensions (if it exists)
2.4) Do I really need these files from 2.3? Installation should be supported on a generic resolution without them, right?

3) About the DSDT file, NP, I'll do my own. I'll read whatever it needs to create a good one, but what exactly that is? and, do I need it during installation or just after 1st boot?
3.1) If I need it for installation, where should I place it?

Best Regards!!!!

iRobie

iRobie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Thanks. I'll try that link at night (@work now).
Some points:
1) That ES2L kit is for the Gigabyte G31, not the G41.
1.1) Where those kits came from? Is there a place where I can check to see if someone created one for my G41 MOBO?
1.2) Anyway, it should be much closer (as you said) than the installation method that I was using

The main point is I've used the G31 guide and can tell you it works with the G41 motherboard - works very well. G31 & G41 are brothers - the G41 gets hand-me-downs from the 31!

2) I have a Radeon 4670. So, I think I need to use netkas stuff. At this point I have:
2.1) A "boot" file that he made specially for 4[3-6]xx Radeons
2.2) Some kexts (ATI4500Controller.kext, ATI4600Controller.kext, ATI4800Controller.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext and ATISupport.kext)
2.3) AFAIK, I'll need to change the boot file with this one, as well as include the ATI4600Controller.kext inside my pen drive in /System/Library/Extensions or /Extra/Extensions (if it exists)
2.4) Do I really need these files from 2.3? Installation should be supported on a generic resolution without them, right?

I've never used an ATI card, so I don't know if you'll need. However, I recommend trying the myHack GraphicsEnabler option. It's said to work with most ATI cards, unless you've heard that your card is incompatible with default settings.

If you have an 8gb pen drive, you won't need to worry about kexts. Restore your SL DVD to the pen drive, then run myHack (with Graphics Enabler) pointed at your pen drive.

So I recommend trying myHack first, and ignoring the special boot file or other Kexts unless myHack doesn't work. At that point, there's probably other posts talking about getting ATI working.

3) About the DSDT file, NP, I'll do my own. I'll read whatever it needs to create a good one, but what exactly that is? and, do I need it during installation or just after 1st boot?
3.1) If I need it for installation, where should I place it?

A DSDT file is basically an instruction set for your motherboard. I don't fully understand it to be honest - how it differs from drivers. But my understanding is that it's something passed to Windows by default, but Leopard doesn't read it without help.

You need the DSDT after your first boot - it will enable stuff like sleep. Put it in your /Extra folder. If it doesn't work, you can always mess with it later.

Good luck!

polax

polax

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
This Guide worked like a Charm

I am using the Gigabyte - GA41M-ES2L Motherboards, with Gigabyte 9600GT.

Sound, Video and Lan (using Wireless USB Dongle - Belkin N Wireless) All worked fine. Had to fiddle the Video settings a little - ok had to fiddle a lot (took me about 4 installations to get it to working perfectly)

Funny part was at the end of the last reboot, i told myself, if this doesn't work, I am going back to Ubuntu - and not wasting time any more on this - and it worked like a charm ;)

Beautiful OS - :-) Picking up my copy of SL from the Apple store over the weekend... Cheers

Happy Hackintoshing.

cj95

cj95

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
is there any guide to install without any usb drive???

unix_fan

unix_fan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
iRobie et al:

I have to +1 on the "use the sk1nhd33t guide " suggestion.

Lack of Sleep functionality was bugging me more so I went and bought another drive for another install from scratch attempt. I now have on board Sleep and Sound together and all is well.

The only thing that guide is missing is the instructions listed in this thread for the ALC888B (aka ALC887) built in sound chip which is a main differentiator between the G31M and the G41M. I followed the sk1nhd33t guide to the letter. The myHack installer is very easy (I love the "taking the iSuck out of your iHack!" tagline). I use the latest DSDTSE editor from the EVO Spanish team. RTC, CPU, CMOS, HDEF, DTGP, and WAK hacks are required, but the DSDTSE editor has them all documented. The netkas Sleep Enabler is required in 10.6.2.

So in summary,
kexts in /Extra: fakesmc, LegacyHDA_ALC888B, NullCPUPowerManagement, OpenHaltRestart, PlatformUUID, and SleepEnabler.

SMBIOS.plist is apparently unnecessary (?).

I get a kernel panic in 64bit but I'm solid in 32bit, so I'm staying there for now.

BTW, I had bumped up to the F6 Bios version a few weeks back - you all may consider it field tested and safe.

Thanks to everyone for all the hard work.

cj95

cj95

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
i did everything and now sl does not boot at all!!!!

it stops here:

blah blah ....
Vesa v3.0 14MB (NVIDIA)
Loading Darwin/x86
Loading kernel mach_kernel
Loading HFS+ file: [mach_kernel] from 42346f0

_

and hags there for ever and ever...... and ever

my comp is :
pentium e6300 dual core
g41m es2l f4 bios

leopard works fine

tried -x32 does nothing

unix_fan

unix_fan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

i did everything and now sl does not boot at all!!!!

it stops here:

blah blah ....
Vesa v3.0 14MB (NVIDIA)
Loading Darwin/x86
Loading kernel mach_kernel

_

and hags there for ever and ever...... and ever

my comp is :
pentium e6300 dual core
g41m es2l f4 bios

leopard works fine

tried -x32 does nothing

You can go into Console to figure out what is the last thing reported in the log.
FWIW, the boot param for 32 bit is "arch=i386" (no dash, no quotes)

cj95

cj95

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
i get kernel panic when i boot (step seven)

i get kernel panic when i boot in single user mode (-s) on snow leopard . I'm doing this from chameleon

question: where does the dsdt.aml go? do i use the dsdt that the in the download or do i make one with the dsdt generator gui???

please help :rolleyes:

EDIT:

i heard that you get kernel panic if you boot to chameleon and select sl drive!!!! "you must select the sl drive on bios boot" wtf?? i only have 1 drive and 2 partitions , 1 leopard and the other sl....

cj95

cj95

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
following your guide to get audio working(editing the dsdt) i get compile error :( , but maybe is b/c i'm running 10.6.2

/Library/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 4584: }, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}
}
Error 4063 - Object does not exist ^ (DTGP)

I'M using dsdt se program

cj95

cj95

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
GOT EVERYTHING WORKING!!!!! ;)

Kurto2021

Kurto2021

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I got it working on mine and I can tell you the best way to do it.

First you have to add a video card because the onboard just won't work. I went to Best Buy and bought a GeForce 8400GS for $39 on sale.

Files to have prior to install

Mac OSX install DVD
RebelEFI
NVEnabler_64 (working with 32 bit for 512mb 8400GS) -
R1000.kext
AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

Install Mac OSX Leopard using RebelEFI from Psystar

Grab the MacLoader_SL kit
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=183751

Follow the instructions and you will have it working

I can post files if you guys want

cj95

cj95

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

I got it working on mine and I can tell you the best way to do it.

First you have to add a video card because the onboard just won't work. I went to Best Buy and bought a GeForce 8400GS for $39 on sale.

Files to have prior to install

Mac OSX install DVD
RebelEFI
NVEnabler_64 (working with 32 bit for 512mb 8400GS) -
R1000.kext
AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

Install Mac OSX Leopard using RebelEFI from Psystar

Grab the MacLoader_SL kit
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=183751

Follow the instructions and you will have it working

I can post files if you guys want

dude you paid for rebel efi?

fyi i didn't even follow this tutorial . There is nothing in this tutorial that was useful except for the provided files (kexts) .

I did not have a usb 8gb none the less , and neither i have the dvd . I just did another method to install from dmg that is much much easier than this trust me... this is confusing and takes too much time .

this is the tut i followed
http://www.insanelym...-pc-hackintosh/
with some mods

Kurto2021

Kurto2021

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
You don't have to pay for it. Think of rebel Efi as the bootloader and efi partition creator. You can use it to install OSX and then you create the dsdt file and efi partition using the Macloader_SL.

kinya

kinya

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

following your guide to get audio working(editing the dsdt) i get compile error -_- , but maybe is b/c i'm running 10.6.2

I'M using dsdt se program

http://www.insanelym...s/icon_open.gif :rolleyes: :P :P

I experienced same problem!
Please let me know how to deal with the problem

Rex Luna

Rex Luna

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
i have had everything working for about a month in 10.6.2. now i am trying to add firewire. i tried the pci card recommended in this post. with no luck and also a pci card card that was firewire and usb. the firewire did not show up on either, but on the firewire/usb card the usb worked but not firewire.

is there something i need to add specifically for firewire to work?
do i need to start over with the card installed for it to work?

UnaClocker

UnaClocker

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 617 posts
I've had great luck with this guide and this motherboard. Sound is working (Voodoo audio drivers), sleep is working, video is working.. But I'm really interested in getting the internal NIC to work. I found a SL G31 guide, and downloaded and installed the R1000.kext into SLE with kext helper, but it still says it can't determine the state of en0.. Just can't seem to tell when the cord is plugged in.. Despite the blinking lights in the socket.. What am I doing wrong?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy