[Mini Guide] SL working on Gigabyte G41M-ES2L

iRobie

934 posts in this topic

in 10.5.8 I used AzalioAudio

http://www.mediafire.com/?enez1guzz1g 

try, maybe in 10.6 will work.

I've added an audio guide to the front page. I tried to make it as step by step as possible. Unfortunately, I did have to edit my DSDT file to get things working. Editing the DSDT is a little more complicated than just copying files around. Make a backup of your current DSDT file so you can restore in Single User mode if necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

IRobie et al:

Does anybody have Sleep working on the G41M-ES2L under 10.6.1? It's the only thing not working for me, and it's bugging me more than I thought it would. :wallbash:

I've scrutinized every post. I don't see anyone explicitly claiming it works but SleepEnabler.Kext is on here so I'm thinking there is something simple I missed.

I've tried 32 and 64bit 10.6.1 as well as F3 and now F4 BIOS versions. My rig goes into some unknown state and I can't wake it. The fan stays on, no keyboard or mouse actions work to bring it out of whatever state it's in. Nothing in the DSDT jumps out at me..

Sleep worked just fine for me under 10.5.7 so I know the motherboard is capable of properly working sleep.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is swapping Sleep Enabler kexts from the 10.5.7 boot.

I use two hard drives so that I can revert bac to a known working baseline When 1.6.1 works perfectly, I'll make a backup on the 2nd drive and establish a new working baseline.

I've added an audio guide to the front page. I tried to make it as step by step as possible. Unfortunately, I did have to edit my DSDT file to get things working. Editing the DSDT is a little more complicated than just copying files around. Make a backup of your current DSDT file so you can restore in Single User mode if necessary.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Very helpful!

So I've been able to follow this guide wonderfully except for a couple small issues:

1. Upon each boot, the desktop loads and I can move the mouse, but I can't click on anything or type anything for at least 4 minutes. SSH works in the meantime, but doesn't show high load on any processes.
  2. Sound. I tried to follow the DSDT patching notes from the guide, but I end up with two warning and one error when I try to compile the DSDT after making the changes. One of the errors specifically references the change I made for sound: "Object does not exist ^ (DTGP)"

Any thoughts? This is my first jump into the Hackintosh world, so any help is much appreciated.

So I've been able to follow this guide wonderfully except for a couple small issues:

1. Upon each boot, the desktop loads and I can move the mouse, but I can't click on anything or type anything for at least 4 minutes. SSH works in the meantime, but doesn't show high load on any processes.
  2. Sound. I tried to follow the DSDT patching notes from the guide, but I end up with two warning and one error when I try to compile the DSDT after making the changes. One of the errors specifically references the change I made for sound: "Object does not exist ^ (DTGP)"

Any thoughts? This is my first jump into the Hackintosh world, so any help is much appreciated.

For the first problem, I had a similar issue. Booting in verbose mode showed a "USB transaction not found in 5 seconds" or similar error. The problem for me was I had a defective USB device. The device was an internal card reader, which technically plugged into a USB slot on the MB. It took a long time to find because I didn't think of it as USB.

For the second, my guess is it sounds like the Kext isn't loaded correctly. You installed LegacyHDA_ALC888B into your Extra/Extension folder? If so, I recommend running the Kext Utility, reboot, then make sure the kext is loaded by going into terminal and running kextstat

I cannot make my mother board's ethernet adaptor work, any ideas?

I haven't tried the board's ethernet adapter on 10.6, but on 10.5.6 it worked using kext for G31M-ES2L. Did you have any problems on 10.5?

The kext I used was RealtekR1000.

IRobie et al:

Does anybody have Sleep working on the G41M-ES2L under 10.6.1? It's the only thing not working for me, and it's bugging me more than I thought it would. B)

I've scrutinized every post. I don't see anyone explicitly claiming it works but SleepEnabler.Kext is on here so I'm thinking there is something simple I missed.

I've tried 32 and 64bit 10.6.1 as well as F3 and now F4 BIOS versions. My rig goes into some unknown state and I can't wake it. The fan stays on, no keyboard or mouse actions work to bring it out of whatever state it's in. Nothing in the DSDT jumps out at me..

Sleep worked just fine for me under 10.5.7 so I know the motherboard is capable of properly working sleep.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is swapping Sleep Enabler kexts from the 10.5.7 boot.

I use two hard drives so that I can revert bac to a known working baseline When 1.6.1 works perfectly, I'll make a backup on the 2nd drive and establish a new working baseline.

Hello M8,

I seem to have a semi working sleep, i click sleep the comp turn complety off, i move the mouse, it wakes up and is back to desktop in no time, without out a post boot or load up to the OS, just goes straight in where i left off.

Im surprised as the comp it totally off, no lights nothing just dead, but is still kept in RAM, Nice :-)

FYI im on the F8 bios G31M-ES2L, Q6600, 8600GT, 4GB DDR2 corsair ram, aluminium keyboard (Apple), crappy sata harddrive, Sata DVD drive. Any more details just ask..

IRobie et al:

Does anybody have Sleep working on the G41M-ES2L under 10.6.1? It's the only thing not working for me, and it's bugging me more than I thought it would. B)

Woops, missed this question.

Sleep works perfectly for me. I'll look at my BIOS settings tonight. I know that I had to do something to enable waking from the Keyboard, otherwise I had to push the power button to turn it back on. There's no difference between this machine & my iMac have between sleep.

I do have SleepEnabler.kext and the 'Please Sleep' application. I still boot in 32 bit mode.

Oh, Wake on Lan also works for me, but again I have a third party ethernet card.

My BIOS settings are pretty much all standard. I didn't change anything from optimized defaults:

ACPI: S3(STR)

HPET Support: Enabled

HPET Mode: 64-bit

One really strange thing - today I upgraded from a White/plastic Mac keyboard to an aluminum Mac keyboard. Both wired. The plastic keyboard allowed me to wake the computer with it, but the aluminum one won't. Both Apple keyboards.

I am using RealtekR1000 and my ethernet adaptor is inconsistent, works sometimes, sometimes doesn't... takes a few reboots and unplugs to make it work.

Anyways, I just updated into 10.6.2 and I have a kernel panic, trying to fix it right now.

UPDATE:

Okay so I plugged my Hackintosh hard drive into a mac, and removed SleepEnabler.kext from the extra folder, that solved the kernel panic, however my audio does not work anymore. Trying to fix that now.

Okay so I plugged my Hackintosh hard drive into a mac, and removed SleepEnabler.kext from the extra folder, that solved the kernel panic, however my audio does not work anymore. Trying to fix that now.

I read elsewhere that SleepEnabler wasn't 10.6.2 compatible, but there's an update here: http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/23732914...xt-post-updated

What I did was:

Delete SleepEnabler.kext

Run update

On first boot, install new version & run Kext Utility

Worked for me.

For audio, I had to change the output devices (that were "Line Out") to Internal Speaker. Not sure why.

Still not even installing on my G41M-ES2L.

Followed this tutorial: http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

Boot was stuck at some point. Then I found this topic (this one) and tried the kexts plus the kextcache commands on single user. It was stuck here: AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Ethernet address: <my mac address>

Then I tried to follow completely the steps on this tutorial (using my pen drive): Kernel Panic. Then I reverted to the original "boot"

So, am I doing something wrong? I bought this MOBO because I thought it would be perfect under osx. At least I saw it on psystar website as being fully compatible...

Could be something in my BIOS settings? It's the F3 version.

Could it be something with my recently supported Radeon HD 4670? I tried booting with the new "boot" from netkas. Same behavior, just a different resolution during the verbose messages...

Someone can plz help me? Im starting to have no new ideas.

Found this:

Now, if I try to boot this system (or the BootCD, or a USB boot disk; I have tried them all) the retail install DVD hangs at around ethernet card initialization. For a long time, I thought it was related to fakeSMC.kext because I could boot with -s flag, which is typical of a fakesmc/dsmos/appledecrypt problem (or so says the mighty Google). I tried every variation of kexts/BIOS settings that I could think of, but nothing worked. Then I decided to try the new PC EFI 10.3 boot file from Netkas:

Replace the 'boot' file in Chameleon partition with the Netkas' PC EFI 10.3 boot file.

Edit Chameleon/Extra/com.apple.boot.plist to include:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v -x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

Boot, and behold! The install dvd partition booted, and installation onto SL1 went smoothly. Booted into a gorgeous 1920x1200 screen even without setting the graphics mode in com.apple.boot.plist. I have been busy installing my usual apps and doing my usual customizations, and I haven't seen a single hiccup so far.

In short, the PC EFI 10.3 'boot' file automagically initializes my 4870 correctly, and allows me to use a totally untouched /S/L/E (and without any other EFI/DSDT fix) which I couldn't do in 10.5. (Big thanks to Netkas.) I wonder if blackosx would consider using it on the BootCD or maybe provide an alternative BootCD for ATI users

Same behavior.

Then, I took netkas special "boot" file for 46xx and added the strings to com.apple.boot.plist

Now, it seems to hang on another part:

11172009035.jpg

anyone can help?

All the guides are pretty much the same. Where they differ is the packaged kext files. Remember step 0 of this guide is get everything working on 10.5 first :rolleyes:

That's a little late now - the point of 10.5 was because there was more kext files for it vs 10.6, but now 10.6 is well developed.

Here's another mini-guide to try to help.

I recently tested the latest install methods - I'd skip the Lifehacker guide because it's for another MB. The guide that worked really well for me - including 64 bit without problem - is sk1nhd33t guide.

1. Install OSX on your hard drive

There are a few ways to do this:

• (Using a mac) Restore the retail DVD to a USB drive, then use MyHack to make that USB bootable on generic hardware
  • (No Mac) Use boot-132 or Psystar Rebel CD to boot that CD, then install OSX from the retail CD
  • (Using a mac) Use OSinstall.mpkg (worst option now, it's the one I said to use)

2. Install Chameleon bootloader

This lets you boot into OSX after it's installed

3. Install your kext files, DSDT file, and your boot.apple file

Follow the sk1nhd33t guide - it works on this motherboard.

Oh - very very important - make your own DSDT file. Do NOT use someone elses, make your own. It's not that hard - just follow the instructions in that linked guide.

All the guides are pretty much the same. Where they differ is the packaged kext files. Remember step 0 of this guide is get everything working on 10.5 first :wacko:

That's a little late now - the point of 10.5 was because there was more kext files for it vs 10.6, but now 10.6 is well developed.

Here's another mini-guide to try to help.

I recently tested the latest install methods - I'd skip the Lifehacker guide because it's for another MB. The guide that worked really well for me - including 64 bit without problem - is sk1nhd33t guide.

1. Install OSX on your hard drive

There are a few ways to do this:

• (Using a mac) Restore the retail DVD to a USB drive, then use MyHack to make that USB bootable on generic hardware
  • (No Mac) Use boot-132 or Psystar Rebel CD to boot that CD, then install OSX from the retail CD
  • (Using a mac) Use OSinstall.mpkg (worst option now, it's the one I said to use)

2. Install Chameleon bootloader

This lets you boot into OSX after it's installed

3. Install your kext files, DSDT file, and your boot.apple file

Follow the sk1nhd33t guide - it works on this motherboard.

Oh - very very important - make your own DSDT file. Do NOT use someone elses, make your own. It's not that hard - just follow the instructions in that linked guide.

Thanks. I'll try that link at night (@work now).

Some points:

1) That ES2L kit is for the Gigabyte G31, not the G41.

1.1) Where those kits came from? Is there a place where I can check to see if someone created one for my G41 MOBO?

1.2) Anyway, it should be much closer (as you said) than the installation method that I was using

2) I have a Radeon 4670. So, I think I need to use netkas stuff. At this point I have:

2.1) A "boot" file that he made specially for 4[3-6]xx Radeons

2.2) Some kexts (ATI4500Controller.kext, ATI4600Controller.kext, ATI4800Controller.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext and ATISupport.kext)

2.3) AFAIK, I'll need to change the boot file with this one, as well as include the ATI4600Controller.kext inside my pen drive in /System/Library/Extensions or /Extra/Extensions (if it exists)

2.4) Do I really need these files from 2.3? Installation should be supported on a generic resolution without them, right?

3) About the DSDT file, NP, I'll do my own. I'll read whatever it needs to create a good one, but what exactly that is? and, do I need it during installation or just after 1st boot?

3.1) If I need it for installation, where should I place it?

Best Regards!!!!

Thanks. I'll try that link at night (@work now).

Some points:

1) That ES2L kit is for the Gigabyte G31, not the G41.

1.1) Where those kits came from? Is there a place where I can check to see if someone created one for my G41 MOBO?

1.2) Anyway, it should be much closer (as you said) than the installation method that I was using

The main point is I've used the G31 guide and can tell you it works with the G41 motherboard - works very well. G31 & G41 are brothers - the G41 gets hand-me-downs from the 31!

2) I have a Radeon 4670. So, I think I need to use netkas stuff. At this point I have:

2.1) A "boot" file that he made specially for 4[3-6]xx Radeons

2.2) Some kexts (ATI4500Controller.kext, ATI4600Controller.kext, ATI4800Controller.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext and ATISupport.kext)

2.3) AFAIK, I'll need to change the boot file with this one, as well as include the ATI4600Controller.kext inside my pen drive in /System/Library/Extensions or /Extra/Extensions (if it exists)

2.4) Do I really need these files from 2.3? Installation should be supported on a generic resolution without them, right?

I've never used an ATI card, so I don't know if you'll need. However, I recommend trying the myHack GraphicsEnabler option. It's said to work with most ATI cards, unless you've heard that your card is incompatible with default settings.

If you have an 8gb pen drive, you won't need to worry about kexts. Restore your SL DVD to the pen drive, then run myHack (with Graphics Enabler) pointed at your pen drive.

So I recommend trying myHack first, and ignoring the special boot file or other Kexts unless myHack doesn't work. At that point, there's probably other posts talking about getting ATI working.

3) About the DSDT file, NP, I'll do my own. I'll read whatever it needs to create a good one, but what exactly that is? and, do I need it during installation or just after 1st boot?

3.1) If I need it for installation, where should I place it?

A DSDT file is basically an instruction set for your motherboard. I don't fully understand it to be honest - how it differs from drivers. But my understanding is that it's something passed to Windows by default, but Leopard doesn't read it without help.

You need the DSDT after your first boot - it will enable stuff like sleep. Put it in your /Extra folder. If it doesn't work, you can always mess with it later.

Good luck!

This Guide worked like a Charm

I am using the Gigabyte - GA41M-ES2L Motherboards, with Gigabyte 9600GT.

Sound, Video and Lan (using Wireless USB Dongle - Belkin N Wireless) All worked fine. Had to fiddle the Video settings a little - ok had to fiddle a lot (took me about 4 installations to get it to working perfectly)

Funny part was at the end of the last reboot, i told myself, if this doesn't work, I am going back to Ubuntu - and not wasting time any more on this - and it worked like a charm ;)

Beautiful OS - :-) Picking up my copy of SL from the Apple store over the weekend... Cheers

Happy Hackintoshing.

• 3 weeks later...

iRobie et al:

I have to +1 on the "use the sk1nhd33t guide " suggestion.

Lack of Sleep functionality was bugging me more so I went and bought another drive for another install from scratch attempt. I now have on board Sleep and Sound together and all is well.

The only thing that guide is missing is the instructions listed in this thread for the ALC888B (aka ALC887) built in sound chip which is a main differentiator between the G31M and the G41M. I followed the sk1nhd33t guide to the letter. The myHack installer is very easy (I love the "taking the iSuck out of your iHack!" tagline). I use the latest DSDTSE editor from the EVO Spanish team. RTC, CPU, CMOS, HDEF, DTGP, and WAK hacks are required, but the DSDTSE editor has them all documented. The netkas Sleep Enabler is required in 10.6.2.

So in summary,

kexts in /Extra: fakesmc, LegacyHDA_ALC888B, NullCPUPowerManagement, OpenHaltRestart, PlatformUUID, and SleepEnabler.

SMBIOS.plist is apparently unnecessary (?).

I get a kernel panic in 64bit but I'm solid in 32bit, so I'm staying there for now.

BTW, I had bumped up to the F6 Bios version a few weeks back - you all may consider it field tested and safe.

Thanks to everyone for all the hard work.

i did everything and now sl does not boot at all!!!!

it stops here:

blah blah ....

Vesa v3.0 14MB (NVIDIA)

Loading Darwin/x86

Loading kernel mach_kernel

Loading HFS+ file: [mach_kernel] from 42346f0

Loading HFS+ file: [mach_kernel] from 42346f0

_

and hags there for ever and ever...... and ever

my comp is :

pentium e6300 dual core

g41m es2l f4 bios